1202: "Girls and Boys"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rmsgrey

Re: 1202: "Girls and Boys"

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

Patteroast wrote:The version of the rhyme I heard was, "X goes to Jupiter to get more stupider, Z goes to Mars to get more candy bars." Insert the gender that does and does not have cooties when you're six, respectively.

Both genders have cooties - boys have boy-cooties and girls have girl-cooties and it's only dangerous if they get mixed...

bigchiefbc

Postby bigchiefbc » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:The rhyme I remember from when I was a kid goes "Girls go to college to get more knowledge. Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider."

I guess I'm one of the 10,000 today, because I had absolutely no idea what this comic was referring to, and I have never heard this rhyme or any of its apparent variants before. :oops:

davidhbrown

Postby davidhbrown » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

StClair wrote:As others have clarified, it's apparently a reference to some schoolyard rhyme that I've never heard.
Nor did I, despite growing up in NY (which shares a fair piece of border with MA). I spent a while trying to figure out how it related to the human migration from Earth to Titan in that movie that's out this week but I'm not likely to see... it was particularly challenging because not only it Titan a moon, not a gas giant, it's a moon of a different gas giant.

spaceguy87

Postby spaceguy87 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

This made me think of the movie Gattaca. Anyone else wonder if Randall was thinking of that also?

MadH

Postby MadH » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Wooloomooloo wrote:
BAReFOOt wrote:Nope. I didn’t. I'm an autodidact and didn't need college to get more knowledge. Nor any other bad outdated and primitive form of "education"

Like most people, I went there, to meet friends, girls, and ultimately to fuck my brains out. Which is the ignorantly neglected main point of college anyway. And the only natural form of education you'll ever see there.

Sad but true. All the knowledge I professionally make any use of I did learn outside it on my own because I was interested, and so did those of my colleagues who know anything worth a damn - those who arrived there knowing nothing about engineering left the exact same way. Everything else they tried to teach us turned out to be 100% unused in private or professional life, and was 100% promptly forgotten in a mere few months / years / the very day following the exam. Sad, but it is what it is...

Guess you shoulda gone to a liberal arts college instead. Or tried understanding the concepts as well as the mechanics of the stuff you sorta-learned.

Signed, An Old Grump w/ a double-BA in Physics and Math (who also remembers the stuff he learned in Music Theory, Ancient Greek History, and French, thank you very much).

This. Signed by someone who actually learned a ton about my chosen profession in college and went on to obtain a job in said profession where everything I learned was very relevant. Maybe it helped that I didn't go to college to screw around? Are there any studies on sex and learning in college?

HAL9000
Not Red

Postby HAL9000 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

I had a nice long laugh at this comic. Heard that rhyme rather often in elementary school.
There are many jokes Randall makes that I don't quite understand (for example, most of his programming-language jokes), but even the ones I don't understand give me something new to learn about.
It's that and the gems like this comic that have kept me reading xkcd for so long.
HAL9000 wrote:I find it simultaneously fascinating and disturbing that the most profound things I've read in the past months I have encountered in or been led to by an internet forum thread about a webcomic.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:27 pm UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:Nope. I didn’t. I'm an autodidact and didn't need college to get more knowledge. Nor any other bad outdated and primitive form of "education"

Like most people, I went there, to meet friends, girls, and ultimately to fuck my brains out. Which is the ignorantly neglected main point of college anyway. And the only natural form of education you'll ever see there.

Unfortunately, most employers will only acknowledge that you have the knowledge/skills if you have been certified by some widely recognized body (e.g. school or government), so merely knowing the stuff isn't enough--you have to prove that you have been tested on it, or people will assume that you are just pulling your claims of knowledge out of your backside.

endolith

Postby endolith » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

What major/career is that?

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:43 pm UTC

spaceguy87 wrote:This made me think of the movie Gattaca. Anyone else wonder if Randall was thinking of that also?

I don't know about Randall, but I sure thought of Gattaca when reading this comic. Very good movie, you should all watch it.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:46 pm UTC

endolith wrote:

What major/career is that?

Gender studies?
Anatomy?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

burndive

Postby burndive » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

"All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landings there."

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

I'm assuming this is Black Hat Kid's rebuttal to a girl who told him he'd be going on a trip to Jupiter in order to lose intelligence?

cespurgeon

Postby cespurgeon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

jamesjocky wrote:Is too on!
what do you call a
situation where two
people think about sex,
and the rest think about
food?
:
a wedding.

You need to go to weddings with more attractive guests.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:29 pm UTC

Patteroast wrote:The version of the rhyme I heard was, "X goes to Jupiter to get more stupider, Z goes to Mars to get more candy bars." Insert the gender that does and does not have cooties when you're six, respectively.

Up next on xkcd: expressing one's preference for a pitcher when a belly-itcher has been offered.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:31 pm UTC

Q1: Why was cooties never endemic in the UK? Was there a mass immunisation programme? Quarantine?
Q2: Is there a US accent in which "Jupiter" rhymes perfectly with "stupider"? By this I mean that the first vowel of "stupider" is the diphthong /juː/ of BrE (i.e. it's not "stoopid") but the "t" of "Jupiter" is produced by "flapping" making it voiced (like a "d").
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

I had no idea there was a joke
I just assumed it was a comic about uniting for science

Kintrex

Postby Kintrex » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:38 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Q2: Is there a US accent in which "Jupiter" rhymes perfectly with "stupider"? By this I mean that the first vowel of "stupider" is the diphthong /juː/ of BrE (i.e. it's not "stoopid") but the "t" of "Jupiter" is produced by "flapping" making it voiced (like a "d").

Most US accents I've heard do pronounce stupid as "stoopid".

I must say, I really appreciate this comic. I heard that idiotic rhyme so often in elementary school that I once rehearsed and gave a lengthy rebuttal. Justifiably, this got me labelled both stupid and a nerd.

illiriks

Postby illiriks » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:41 pm UTC

Side note: I haven't posted here since my freshman year of high school. Strange.

orthogon wrote:Q2: Is there a US accent in which "Jupiter" rhymes perfectly with "stupider"? By this I mean that the first vowel of "stupider" is the diphthong /juː/ of BrE (i.e. it's not "stoopid") but the "t" of "Jupiter" is produced by "flapping" making it voiced (like a "d").

Yep. Mine, here in Raleigh, NC. "Jupiter" is "Joopider" and "Stupider" is "Stoopider".

Jinxed

Postby Jinxed » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:00 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

Q1: Why was cooties never endemic in the UK? Was there a mass immunisation programme? Quarantine?
Q2: Is there a US accent in which "Jupiter" rhymes perfectly with "stupider"? By this I mean that the first vowel of "stupider" is the diphthong /juː/ of BrE (i.e. it's not "stoopid") but the "t" of "Jupiter" is produced by "flapping" making it voiced (like a "d").

Rhyming doesn't have to be so strict, -iter and -ider sound close enough to me to make it valid rhyming, mind you this IS a rhyme made by a group of immature children most likely.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:22 pm UTC

Patteroast wrote:The version of the rhyme I heard was, "X goes to Jupiter to get more stupider, Z goes to Mars to get more candy bars."

Sponsored by Mars, Inc.?

firinne

Postby firinne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:10 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

Both /d/ and /t/ are flapped in GAE/SAE when found between two vowels, so long as the second vowel isn't stressed. They rhyme perfectly in casual speech.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

Howzers wrote:Girls who are boys who do boys like they're girls...
Always should be someone you really laaaaaaaaaaaaave.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:08 am UTC

I found this comic very touching. It sets you up for old-fashioned shallowness, and then turns it around and lets the scientific ideal triumph. Bravo.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:30 am UTC

spaceguy87 wrote:This made me think of the movie Gattaca. Anyone else wonder if Randall was thinking of that also?
No.

In Gattaca, they were planning a trip to Titan. As the poster above you pointed out, Titan is a moon of Saturn.

Yes: most of them.

We don't typically pronounce either word with /ju:/, and we typically flap both the <t> and the <d> at the end.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

scotty2haughty

Postby scotty2haughty » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:33 am UTC

MadH wrote:
cellocgw wrote:
Wooloomooloo wrote:

Sad but true. All the knowledge I professionally make any use of I did learn outside it on my own because I was interested, and so did those of my colleagues who know anything worth a damn - those who arrived there knowing nothing about engineering left the exact same way. Everything else they tried to teach us turned out to be 100% unused in private or professional life, and was 100% promptly forgotten in a mere few months / years / the very day following the exam. Sad, but it is what it is...

Guess you shoulda gone to a liberal arts college instead. Or tried understanding the concepts as well as the mechanics of the stuff you sorta-learned.

Signed, An Old Grump w/ a double-BA in Physics and Math (who also remembers the stuff he learned in Music Theory, Ancient Greek History, and French, thank you very much).

This. Signed by someone who actually learned a ton about my chosen profession in college and went on to obtain a job in said profession where everything I learned was very relevant. Maybe it helped that I didn't go to college to screw around? Are there any studies on sex and learning in college?

This, also.
1) A large part of college learning is to teach you how to learn
2) I learned a moderate amount of stuff in undergrad, mostly because I had worked in the field before hand and was able to understand its application
3) I have learned something new every day, if not more than once a day, in graduate school. Maybe pay closer attention when those people we pay $200,000 a year talk in front of you all day (a.k.a. professors).
/s/

vvn

Postby vvn » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:17 am UTC

bigchiefbc wrote:I guess I'm one of the 10,000 today, because I had absolutely no idea what this comic was referring to, and I have never heard this rhyme or any of its apparent variants before. :oops:

Right there with you.

And, also with you.

Edit:
gmalivuk wrote:No.

In Gattaca, they were planning a trip to Titan. As the poster above you pointed out, Titan is a moon of Saturn.

Ya. But,, it made me think about Gattaca, and look up where they went....
P.S. Is it obvious to everyone that GATTACA is only spelled with the initials of the amino acids makings up DNA?

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:01 am UTC

vvn wrote:P.S. Is it obvious to everyone that GATTACA is only spelled with the initials of the amino acids makings up DNA?

Yes.

Also, this made me think of 2001 rather than Gattaca.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:12 am UTC

vvn wrote:P.S. Is it obvious to everyone that GATTACA is only spelled with the initials of the amino acids makings up DNA?

DNA is a nucleic acid; it's not composed of amino acids, per se, it's a polymer of nucleotides. So ATGC are the initials of those nucleotides. Sequences of 3 nucleotides encode for an amino acid.

PsiSquared

Postby PsiSquared » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:59 am UTC

endolith wrote:
StClair wrote:No, they don't.
They send robots in their place, to look around for them. (To get more knowledge.)
But they don't go themselves.

I was born in the middle of the Apollo program.
I might live to see people on the Moon again. Doesn't seem likely at this rate, though.

PsiSquared wrote:Assuming you'll live to be 60-65, I assure you that you'll see not only a lunar landing, but a Mars landing. If NASA won't wake up, it will be someone in the private sector who will accomplish this goal by 2035.

C'mon, humans will never colonize space. We're evolved for too specific an environment.

Who said anything about "colonization"? Visiting a planet, or even setting-up a base there, has absolutely nothing to do with colonization. And nobody here is proposing that we start building cities on Mars (which I agree with you, isn't going to happen in the forseeable future).

endolith wrote:We can't even thrive on most parts of our own planet's surface

True.

Yet, many people climb Mt. Everest every year, and we have a permanently manned station in Antarctica. And nobody thinks that these things are prelude to "colonization" of the Himalayas or the South Pole.

And the only reason space doesn't get a similar amount of visitors, is that IT IS SO FUCKING HARD TO GET THERE with our current technology. The harsh environment of space isn't the main problem. The main problem is, that we currently need a billion dollar rocket and 3000 tons of fuel in order to send a tin can with 3 people towards the moon. Once we develop better methods of propulsion, you'll see lots of people going to space every day.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

My university is doing a campaign at the moment where they get people to write "I need feminism because..." along with a reason on a whiteboard, they take a photo and put it on their website. I've already done one, but I'm very tempted to do another with today's comic drawn on it.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Gender studies?
Anatomy?

Gander studies is a form of Anatology, the study of all members of the duck family. Anatonymy, on the other wingtip, is the process of naming your waterfowl. (Generally speaking, anatonymy follows the pattern "duck, duck, goose." That is, the members of the subfamily Anatinae apparently outnumber the members of the subfamily Anserinae two to one [citation needed].)
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:My university is doing a campaign at the moment where they get people to write "I need feminism because..." along with a reason on a whiteboard, they take a photo and put it on their website. I've already done one, but I'm very tempted to do another with today's comic drawn on it.

Yours?

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

Nope, mine hasn't even finished today's lot yet so none have been uploaded. I've drawn the comic out now on my own whiteboard so I might go out and get photographed with it tomorrow. When it's uploaded I'll probably post it in the positfy your facerity thread. :)
my pronouns are they

cmyk
Location: Somewhere beyond the sands of time... In other words, Detroit MI.

Postby cmyk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

curtis95112 wrote:The one I heard was "Boys go to Venus, to play with their..."
Maybe I should've hung out with different people.

Boys go to Venus to play with their penis, girls go to Uranus to play with their... dolls.

eSOANEM wrote:My university is doing a campaign at the moment where they get people to write "I need feminism because..." along with a reason on a whiteboard, they take a photo and put it on their website. I've already done one, but I'm very tempted to do another with today's comic drawn on it.

I fail to come up with any reason why anyone, anywhere, needs any kind of "-ism".

"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit." —Doc Brown

"I... can't describe it. This... means something... this... is important." –Roy Neary

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:22 pm UTC

cmyk wrote:

I fail to come up with any reason why anyone, anywhere, needs any kind of "-ism".

Well, feminism is a bit of a misnomer.

Most -isms are named after a group they discriminate against (or the grounds on which they discriminate). Feminism does not discriminate. In fact, the whole point of it is to fight discrimination. Feminism is named after the group it was initially meant to protect. Since then, it has (apart from a few of the old guard who are stuck in many *ist ways and the odd misandrist) broadened to become a movement to promote gender (in as much as it means anything) equality, freedom to choose how people express whatever gender they identify with and to ensure that people are not persecuted for deviating from society's ideas of gender roles.

Feminism, whilst it does end in "ism", is not an -ism (just as there are things which don't end in "ism" which arguably are (e.g. homophobia, transphobia etc.)).

Feminism is the enemy of -isms (primarily sexism, but also (in its broadened form) transphobia amongst many others) and it is because those -isms still exist that feminism still has a place.
my pronouns are they

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

eSOANEM wrote:Most -isms are named after a group they discriminate against (or the grounds on which they discriminate).
Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, patriotism,...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

lgw

Postby lgw » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

I'm sure next month will be the "I need masculinism because ..." campaign, right? Or is it all "slugs and snails and puppydog tails" for the guys?

eSOANEM wrote:Feminism is the enemy of -isms (primarily sexism, but also (in its broadened form) transphobia amongst many others) and it is because those -isms still exist that feminism still has a place.

In my day we called the enemy of -isms "basic human decency". Funny how things change.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

Since I doubt you are 200 years old, you were not alive before feminism was a thing.
---

(he/him/his)

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:Most -isms are named after a group they discriminate against (or the grounds on which they discriminate).
Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, patriotism,...

See my distinction later in that post about -isms vs things that end in "ism" (I rephrased my post midway through, I thought I'd changed all the wordings early on so it gave the right impression, apparently I didn't do so well enough. For a more accurate reading, stick that paragraph after the distinction between -isms and things that end in "ism", remove "most" and stick a generally before named).

lgw wrote:

I'm sure next month will be the "I need masculinism because ..." campaign, right? Or is it all "slugs and snails and puppydog tails" for the guys?

No, because "masculinism" is a term used by asshat MRAs to try and perpetuate the worst parts of their male privilege and continue to oppress non-men.

lgw wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:Feminism is the enemy of -isms (primarily sexism, but also (in its broadened form) transphobia amongst many others) and it is because those -isms still exist that feminism still has a place.

In my day we called the enemy of -isms "basic human decency". Funny how things change.

Yeah, it is basic human decency. Sadly many people don't see that. (Someone on the event's page linked to this which is a pretty elegant demonstration of this fact (try lying if you don't see why)).
my pronouns are they

project2051

Postby project2051 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:47 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Since I doubt you are 200 years old, you were not alive before feminism was a thing.

http://youtu.be/dnLqLHWDg5E

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”