1202: "Girls and Boys"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

1202: "Girls and Boys"

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:09 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/1202/
Alt Text: "To get more knowledge"
It's a clever play on those silly patty cake games.
Last edited by Quicksilver on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

StClair

Re: 1202: "Girls and Boys"

Postby StClair » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:12 am UTC

No, they don't.
They send robots in their place, to look around for them. (To get more knowledge.)
But they don't go themselves.

I was born in the middle of the Apollo program.
I might live to see people on the Moon again. Doesn't seem likely at this rate, though.
Last edited by StClair on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:21 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:13 am UTC

Good to know they don't just go to Wikipedia.
Last edited by rhomboidal on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:14 am UTC

StClair wrote:No, they don't.
They send robots in their place, to look around for them.

At this rate, I'll consider myself fortunate if we get back to the Moon within my (remaining) lifetime.
Maybe their knowledge will lead to the creation of gender specific humanoids to send in their place?
Last edited by Quicksilver on Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:22 am UTC

Edited my first post to add a line and to eliminate an untruth - I won't count myself lucky. Fractionally less bitter, maybe. Maybe.

Azkyroth

Postby Azkyroth » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:26 am UTC

In before gender-essentialist "innate differences" temper tantrums!

*sigh*

I need to show this one to my daughter, but I'm not sure she'd understand the context quite yet.

slaufer

Postby slaufer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:34 am UTC

jupiter is a gas giant, it has no surface to go to.

boys and girls have made a poor decision

pbnjstowell

Postby pbnjstowell » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:59 am UTC

The rhyme I remember from when I was a kid goes "Girls go to college to get more knowledge. Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider."
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:02 am UTC

Nope. I didn’t. I'm an autodidact and didn't need college to get more knowledge. Nor any other bad outdated and primitive form of "education"

Like most people, I went there, to meet friends, girls, and ultimately to fuck my brains out. Which is the ignorantly neglected main point of college anyway. And the only natural form of education you'll ever see there.

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:03 am UTC

slaufer wrote:jupiter is a gas giant, it has no surface to go to.

boys and girls have made a poor decision

Yeah right... Next you gonna tell me I. R. Baboon didn't land on the Sun either, for the same reason...? Psh...

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:08 am UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:The rhyme I remember from when I was a kid goes "Girls go to college to get more knowledge. Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider."

And sexists go to hell, when I hit them with shrapnel. ;)
(And well, they also smell like a novel stink bombshell.)
Last edited by BAReFOOt on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Into the Sky

Postby Into the Sky » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:09 am UTC

All boys and girls are advised against bringing Heuristically Programmed Algorithmic computers with them when travelling to Jupiter.

Awesome comic today, might warrant being pinned up somewhere.

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:15 am UTC

slaufer wrote:jupiter is a gas giant, it has no surface to go to. boys and girls have made a poor decision

Surfaces? When we go, we don’t need any … surfaces!

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:30 am UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:Nope. I didn’t. I'm an autodidact and didn't need college to get more knowledge. Nor any other bad outdated and primitive form of "education"

Like most people, I went there, to meet friends, girls, and ultimately to fuck my brains out. Which is the ignorantly neglected main point of college anyway. And the only natural form of education you'll ever see there.

Sad but true. All the knowledge I professionally make any use of I did learn outside it on my own because I was interested, and so did those of my colleagues who know anything worth a damn - those who arrived there knowing nothing about engineering left the exact same way. Everything else they tried to teach us turned out to be 100% unused in private or professional life, and was 100% promptly forgotten in a mere few months / years / the very day following the exam. Sad, but it is what it is...

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:13 am UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:Sad but true. All the knowledge I professionally make any use of I did learn outside it on my own because I was interested, and so did those of my colleagues who know anything worth a damn - those who arrived there knowing nothing about engineering left the exact same way. Everything else they tried to teach us turned out to be 100% unused in private or professional life, and was 100% promptly forgotten in a mere few months / years / the very day following the exam. Sad, but it is what it is...

It’s not that sad anymore… Because now we consciously know that. Which means we can do something about it. :)

With the Internet and all… what exactly stops us from doing it right?

I'm already writing software that will in the (a bit distant) future be a corner stone of things that do it right.

PsiSquared

Postby PsiSquared » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:38 am UTC

StClair wrote:I was born in the middle of the Apollo program.
I might live to see people on the Moon again. Doesn't seem likely at this rate, though.

Assuming you'll live to be 60-65, I assure you that you'll see not only a lunar landing, but a Mars landing. If NASA won't wake up, it will be someone in the private sector who will accomplish this goal by 2035.

Perhaps it will even be me :)
(although, this is one of those races I'll be happy to lose, as long as SOMEBODY makes it before then)

jamesjocky

Postby jamesjocky » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:55 am UTC

Is too on!
what do you call a
situation where two
people think about sex,
and the rest think about
food?
:
a wedding.

spacedman

Postby spacedman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:57 am UTC

Girls and Boys go to University
To get more perversity.

Thanks to the forum for providing context on this XKCD, I don't think the original rhyme is heard in the UK...

Byrel

Postby Byrel » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:03 am UTC

Or for that matter, this bit of the US...

snoods

Postby snoods » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:07 am UTC

They send robots in their place, to look around for them. (To get more knowledge.)

I'm not sure how much the plans have changed since 2006, but assuming they're still the same, humans should be back in 2019 http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2006/10/ ... on-return/

curtis95112

Postby curtis95112 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:18 am UTC

The one I heard was "Boys go to Venus, to play with their..."
Maybe I should've hung out with different people.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:
Роберт wrote:Sure, but at least they hit the intended target that time.

Well, if you shoot enough people, you're bound to get the right one eventually.

Thats the best description of the USA ever.

SEE

Postby SEE » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:45 am UTC

PsiSquared wrote:

Assuming you'll live to be 60-65, I assure you that you'll see not only a lunar landing, but a Mars landing. If NASA won't wake up, it will be someone in the private sector who will accomplish this goal by 2035.

You're assuming governments will let the private sector do so. I think it's probable that they will, but one never knows what may prompt a Haijin edict of our own.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:58 am UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:Nope. I didn’t. I'm an autodidact and didn't need college to get more knowledge. Nor any other bad outdated and primitive form of "education"

Not me.  I didn't actually plan it that way, but it turns out that I was a non-combatant in the Sexual Revolution.

PsiSquared

Postby PsiSquared » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:02 am UTC

SEE wrote:
PsiSquared wrote:

You're assuming governments will let the private sector do so. I think it's probable that they will, but one never knows what may prompt a Haijin edict of our own.

Even if the United States won't allow it, there will be many other countries who will. Not only that, but smaller/poorer countries will be thrilled at the chance to support and host such an endeavor.

Besides, any such project will probably an international effort anyway.

Bytes

Postby Bytes » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:28 am UTC

SEE wrote:
PsiSquared wrote:

Worth checking this out, could be all publicity stunt but it would be interesting if they go ahead with it. It does have something to say about our society when the best way to achieve funding for astronautical projects is through reality TV though...
Sir Bytes, Waître d' of the Grains and Guardian of the Second Flag from the Right
Kethryes wrote:The Time when the future meets the past in the present is aproaching! Repent!

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:00 am UTC

I learned it as "Girls go to Mars to be superstars/ Boys go to Jupiter to get stupider." Clearly my elementary school playground was not the bastion of the feminist movement, or some such (though I became an astronomer, so whatevs).

Always amazes me how xkcd brings back to my mind various topics which I haven't thought of in years. :)

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:14 am UTC

Why Jupiter specifically? Mercury's closer and you don't have to fly through the asteroid belt.

Other than that, great comic. Simple, inspirational, and fun to look at. :mrgreen:

Azkyroth wrote:In before gender-essentialist "innate differences" temper tantrums!

*sigh*

I need to show this one to my daughter, but I'm not sure she'd understand the context quite yet.

I believe in those innate differences, but they have nothing to do with women not being scientists. More like men not asking for directions (and even that's not a hard and fast rule, just more of an inclination). Pretending the genders are the same is silly; men go through their whole lives knowing they won't ever get pregnant, so obviously they have a slight but significant difference in psychology from women who have to reconcile themselves to (?) the possibility it'll happen to them. But saying either gender is completely incapable of doing an incredibly broad class of jobs, which revolve almost entirely around mental aptitudes, is just completely fucking stupid.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 am UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:

Sad but true. All the knowledge I professionally make any use of I did learn outside it on my own because I was interested, and so did those of my colleagues who know anything worth a damn - those who arrived there knowing nothing about engineering left the exact same way. Everything else they tried to teach us turned out to be 100% unused in private or professional life, and was 100% promptly forgotten in a mere few months / years / the very day following the exam. Sad, but it is what it is...

Well, those 3 days before the exam when you needed to absorb all the knowledge you were going to forget a week later... those days were actually quite a big part of your education.

That may be the reason why girls are generally less successful in knowledge gathering after the formal education ends. They start to learn this stuff earlier, so they don't end up as well trained in learning a lot of stuff fast.

McBee

Postby McBee » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:44 am UTC

jamesjocky wrote:Is too on!
what do you call a
situation where two
people think about sex,
and the rest think about
food?

<snip>

a wedding.

I'll bet you good money that there is more than two people thinking about sex at a wedding.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:15 pm UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:

Guess you shoulda gone to a liberal arts college instead. Or tried understanding the concepts as well as the mechanics of the stuff you sorta-learned.

Signed, An Old Grump w/ a double-BA in Physics and Math (who also remembers the stuff he learned in Music Theory, Ancient Greek History, and French, thank you very much).
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Harry Voyager

Postby Harry Voyager » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:21 pm UTC

snoods wrote:

I'm not sure how much the plans have changed since 2006, but assuming they're still the same, humans should be back in 2019 http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2006/10/ ... on-return/

The concept of a moon return was dropped in favor of a Mars flight, which was dropped in favor of an asteroid flight, which will probably be dropped in favor of an interstellar flight, which is really a very fancy was of saying we aren't going to actually do anything expect proposing doing things 20 years after whoever is the administration at the time is out of office and can't be dinged for not doing anything.

Welcome to politics.

Angelastic

Postby Angelastic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:27 pm UTC

Harry Voyager wrote:The concept of a moon return was dropped in favor of a Mars flight, which was dropped in favor of an asteroid flight, which will probably be dropped in favor of an interstellar flight, which is really a very fancy way of saying you will not go to space today.

FTFY. :)
Knight Temporal, and Archdeacon of buttermongery and ham and cheese sandwiches. Nobody sells butter except through me.
Image Smiley by yappobiscuits. Avatar by GLR, buffygirl, BlitzGirl & mscha, with cari.j.elliot's idea.
Haiku Detector
starts a trend to make way for
my robot army.

Howzers

Postby Howzers » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Girls who are boys who do boys like they're girls...

willpellmn wrote:Why Jupiter specifically?

Because it's bigger and therefore better. Jupiter was my favourite planet when I decided I was going to go there, back in the day. I planned to go right after I'd collected all the power rangers to help out.

Of course for all these the classic "because it's there" applies very well to all these

endolith

Postby endolith » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

PsiSquared wrote:Assuming you'll live to be 60-65, I assure you that you'll see not only a lunar landing, but a Mars landing. If NASA won't wake up, it will be someone in the private sector who will accomplish this goal by 2035.

C'mon, humans will never colonize space. We're evolved for too specific an environment. We can't even thrive on most parts of our own planet's surface, let alone the inhospitable surfaces of other "habitable zone" planets like Venus or Mars. Space will be colonized by transhumans and posthumans, modified so they can survive there naked; humans will merely visit.

"NASA are idiots. They want to send canned primates to Mars!” Manfred swallows a mouthful of beer, aggressively plonks his glass on the table: “Mars is just dumb mass at the bottom of a gravity well; there isn’t even a biosphere there."
Last edited by endolith on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Shidoshi

Postby Shidoshi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

Somewhere in this comic there is allusion to sex, I just don't know where. Or maybe I just have too much sex in my head for these past days.

anian

Postby anian » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:50 pm UTC

The word "stupider" is what really adds a special quality to the original rhyme.

belliott4488

Postby belliott4488 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:The rhyme I remember from when I was a kid goes "Girls go to college to get more knowledge. Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider."

Thanks! I knew there was a reference here that I was missing.

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

willpellmn wrote:Why Jupiter specifically? Mercury's closer and you don't have to fly through the asteroid belt.

As others have clarified, it's apparently a reference to some schoolyard rhyme that I've never heard.

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

This comic is just an excuse for the really cool rocket launch at the end.
rocket.jpg

Patteroast

Postby Patteroast » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

The version of the rhyme I heard was, "X goes to Jupiter to get more stupider, Z goes to Mars to get more candy bars." Insert the gender that does and does not have cooties when you're six, respectively.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”