1214: "Geoguessr"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Klear

Re: 1214: "Geoguessr"

Postby Klear » Mon May 20, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

AussieJono wrote:
xms wrote:> I'm rapidly becoming a connoisseur of unmarked dirt roads over flat, barren landscapes.

A reference to the Time comic?

More like reference to #915. If you lock people in a box for a year with 500 pictures of unmarked dirt roads over flat, barren landscapes then they're bound to start finding some more aesthetically appealing than others.

I'd say neither - it's just another proof of the xkcd memetil completeness theorem.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon May 20, 2013 3:08 pm UTC

Wow, I was just stuck standing on a pickup truck bed in the middle of a farm. :shock: Couldn't go anywhere, no signs, no roads, just fences and farm animals. It was typical American truck and I could see driver's arm in the left mirror (so it had to be country with right-handed traffic). I didn't saw other clues, so I put it somewhere in the US and... it was Brazil.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Mon May 20, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

Brazil y u so big? I always see some Portuguese signs in a tropical country and end up Megametres away.
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon May 20, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

This can be useful:

http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/learn/where-is-street-view.html

So if you think you see Africa, put it in South Africa... if you think you see South America, it's Brazil etc.

Also, I just got 11648 points without googling OR moving anywhere...
..despite guessing Brazil instead of Latvia in one of the rounds. I was lucky - my answers "somewhere in USA" and "somewhere in Australia turned out to be only wrong by 50 and 100 kilometres respectively.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Mon May 20, 2013 3:36 pm UTC

Titanium Dragon wrote:Second try: 31974 points

~url spoilered for being page-breakingly wide.

Beat that.

Okay.

This was probably my fourth or fifth attempt and before the comic came up. Took me a while to really get going, but I wanted to beat 30,000 at least once.

That was the sort of game where being off by three kilometers got me to curse. It was still a really lucky one. I somehow recognized A as a creek in Florida immediately, despite never seeing that creek before. B was also lucky that I saw a sign in English for a Botswana chartered flight. C was the aforementioned distant one, chose the wrong view of the lake from the road. D was plastered with the tourist destination. E wasn't exactly noteworthy aside from a soccer field and a McDonald's.

I really would like to see someone beat this score, because I know it's doable. Four of five were off by less than half a kilometer, so you'd pretty much need a perfect round in order to top it.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

richP

Postby richP » Mon May 20, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I'm about as good at GeoGuessing as those evil movie aliens who only blow up the world's most famous landmarks and monuments. If it's not Paris, Mount Rushmore, or Giza, forget it.

"We stole the Statue of Liberty!"
"Yay!"
"The, uh, small one, from Las Vegas."
"awhhh..."

aerion111

Postby aerion111 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:28 pm UTC

Since I wasn't even aware of the ability to walk around until I saw a youtube video of someone playing the game, my scores have been rather poor and I've been satisfied with choosing the right quarter-continent (in this context, Australia is a quarter-continent, and the combined greenland and iceland is a half-continent. Too much ocean to do it any other way)

I've noticed I can't tell the different between south-africa and Australia, though - I think I've got them mixed up more than I've got them right.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon May 20, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:Brazil y u so big? I always see some Portuguese signs in a tropical country and end up Megametres away.

I say the same thing for USA (I'm Brazilian). I identify some English signs, right handed traffic, and that's it. Easily Megameters away too.

GodelianKnot

Postby GodelianKnot » Mon May 20, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Dr. Canadian Ninja wrote:I really would like to see someone beat this score, because I know it's doable. Four of five were off by less than half a kilometer, so you'd pretty much need a perfect round in order to top it.

Registered just to take you up on that: 32391. I guess these forums don't let you post a url right after registering? So to verify, the link is: tinyurl[dot]com[slash]geoguessr32391

That was my first try with full "cheating" (ie roaming around and using google). All but one are within 1-3m (meters, not km!), which seemed to get the maximum score of 6479 (unless maybe you get 6480 if it's exactly spot on). The first one was off by like 80m I think, which gave me 6475 points. So, I think I'm off from the realistic best by 4 points, and maybe off the theoretical maximum by 9.

The strategy, of course, was to look for signs until I could figure out the general location. Then try to narrow it down to an intersection or, preferably a business with a name and telephone number. That usually yields a rough map of some sort, with which I can use full google maps to narrow in, and then street view to match up the exact view. Was kinda bored of it by the 5th round though.

I prefer playing speed rounds. 60 seconds to do all 5 rounds. It's enough time to do some quick thinking about details, and it's much more exciting/impressive when you nail it.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Mon May 20, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

When I think it's Canada, it's Scandinavia, and vice-versa

When I think it's Brazil or South Africa or Australia, it cycles.

And when I'm sure it's in the US, it's on the other side of the country.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon May 20, 2013 5:05 pm UTC

Hahahah! This is the best query ever. Just got black screen with caption "This image is no longer available". Now that's a shot in the dark. Let's see how close will I get. I'm guessing somewhere in Europe.
Spoiler:
It was Brazil. Again?

Edit: And I tried the ultimate pro-mode - you can't google, can't go anywhere and you can't move nor zoom the camera. Best score was over 9000.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

mrob27

Postby mrob27 » Mon May 20, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

dexeron wrote:You can really do it two ways: "pro-mode" - you have to figure it out based on only the knowledge in your head, apparently of international botany, geology, landmarks and language. I can't get much over 9000 that way.

Then there's "My really odd kidnappers left me with a smart phone when they dumped me in a random location mode". Using google and google maps, I can usually get in the 20000s, and beat 30000 once.

Both ways are fun, especially because the second mode often means having to figure out how to enter Cyrillic, Japanese or Korean characters into Google - and determining WHICH characters are actually useful to narrow down a location.

The first time I played, I decided I should get three lifelines: I have three Google searches I can use for the whole 5 Geoguesses. But I cannot click through any of the Google search results -- I can only go off the brief text that Google shows on the first ten results. So for example I searched for "Fillmore area code 217", "port-aux-basques", and "Whispering Pines Alberta". Those three were enough to get 20,791 points. ( t.co/2FEssK2ZHM ) Out of the five, A and C were the totally wild guesses. I was lucky, all 5 were in my continent.
Robert Munafohttp://mrob.com@mrob_27
I ᴍᴀᴅᴇ sᴏɍᴛᴡᴀʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀᴛ Rᴀɴᴅᴀʟʟ ɍᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴜsᴇɍᴜʟ ɪɴ ᴛʜɪs хᴋᴄᴅ

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon May 20, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

brenok wrote:When I think it's Canada, it's Scandinavia, and vice-versa

When I think it's Brazil or South Africa or Australia, it cycles.

And when I'm sure it's in the US, it's on the other side of the country.

This. Canada is the american Scandinavia...

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Mon May 20, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

I just got thrown into what appeared to be a post apocalyptic mountain village. There's no roads and nowhere to move around. I guessed somewhere around Everest, but it was actually near Mt. Elbrus on the Russian-Georgian border. I was only 4200km off!
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Ekaros

Postby Ekaros » Mon May 20, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

GodelianKnot wrote:
Dr. Canadian Ninja wrote:I really would like to see someone beat this score, because I know it's doable. Four of five were off by less than half a kilometer, so you'd pretty much need a perfect round in order to top it.

Registered just to take you up on that: 32391. I guess these forums don't let you post a url right after registering? So to verify, the link is: tinyurl[dot]com[slash]geoguessr32391

That was my first try with full "cheating" (ie roaming around and using google). All but one are within 1-3m (meters, not km!), which seemed to get the maximum score of 6479 (unless maybe you get 6480 if it's exactly spot on). The first one was off by like 80m I think, which gave me 6475 points. So, I think I'm off from the realistic best by 4 points, and maybe off the theoretical maximum by 9.

The strategy, of course, was to look for signs until I could figure out the general location. Then try to narrow it down to an intersection or, preferably a business with a name and telephone number. That usually yields a rough map of some sort, with which I can use full google maps to narrow in, and then street view to match up the exact view. Was kinda bored of it by the 5th round though.

I prefer playing speed rounds. 60 seconds to do all 5 rounds. It's enough time to do some quick thinking about details, and it's much more exciting/impressive when you nail it.

I tried to go google route, but gave up on second one. Russian sings aren't my thing and only clue for me was statue of lenin, no luck with that either...

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Mon May 20, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:Brazil y u so big? I always see some Portuguese signs in a tropical country and end up Megametres away.

What about Russia? I once placed it somewhere in the European part of Russia (I always do that, I can't read a thing in Cyrillic), right next to Ukraine and the correct answer was some Russian island above Japan. Same country yet almost half a planet off.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, MI and Independence Hall, Philadelphia, PA

Photo credit: Jim Garrett

Demki

Postby Demki » Mon May 20, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Best feature in this game: the compass at the top left.
I wonder why it always puts me in russia, spain, mexico, the USA/alaska, and australia/england(which are easy due to left-side-of-the-road). There are other places in the world! I think.

sylvar

Postby sylvar » Mon May 20, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

Randall: no, you can't get the Germany pavilion in Epcot. Salient portion of imgur url is 'JbZyeWe'.

Dr. Canadian Ninja

Postby Dr. Canadian Ninja » Mon May 20, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

GodelianKnot wrote:

Very nice! High five! Although now I'm stopping to wonder who the last monarch to be as thrilled as I just was to be dethroned.

GodelianKnot wrote:That was my first try with full "cheating" (ie roaming around and using google). All but one are within 1-3m (meters, not km!), which seemed to get the maximum score of 6479 (unless maybe you get 6480 if it's exactly spot on). The first one was off by like 80m I think, which gave me 6475 points. So, I think I'm off from the realistic best by 4 points, and maybe off the theoretical maximum by 9.

The price of perfection, unfortunately. I used a secondary street view to match up the last one and hadn't quite thought to do it earlier than that, but to get it down to meters is a level of dedication I haven't mastered yet.

The concept of a high score is wonderfully fluid like that. Playing it as an exact science gives a high score above 30,000, but a speed round with five digits is equally impressive, if not more so.
SecondTalon wrote:Know what I hate? The complete lack of electric bass guitar in Baroque stuff. I mean, come on!

MattTheTubaGuy

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Mon May 20, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

Well I spent way too much time playing this last night!
I can fairly consistently get around 9000 points, and my highest was just under 16000.
Most of last night was spent trying to figure out what the hell the scoring system was though!
my resulting graph:
I have no idea what the actual formula is though! My guess is some ridiculous combination of an exponential function and a trig function. :?

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Mon May 20, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Looks like it's almost linear from 2000 to 12000 an from 12000 to 20000

Pidgeot

Postby Pidgeot » Mon May 20, 2013 10:38 pm UTC

From the source code:

Code: Select all

calculatePoints: function (errorDistance) {
    //Points is calculated using
    //2100 * ((1 / (1 + e ^ (-4 * x + 5, 2))) + (1 / e ^ (-8 * x + 17, 5)) + (1 / e ^ (-30 * x + 61, 2)))
    //where x is (circumference - errordistance in european miles (10km))/1000
    var x = (this.earthHalfCircumference - errorDistance) / 10000000;
    return Math.round(2100 * ((1 / (1 + Math.exp(-4 * x + 5.2))) + (1 / (Math.exp(-8 * x + 17.5))) + (1 / (Math.exp(-30 * x + 61.2))) + (500 / (Math.exp(-250 * x + 506.7)))));
}

This means that the highest score possible for a single guess is 6479 points. I'm not completely sure how close you have to be in order to get that, but I got that much for an answer that was off by 7 meters, so it's probably close to that.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue May 21, 2013 12:28 am UTC

After a few tries, I'm now able to make around 12k without help from google. It's better than I expect

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Tue May 21, 2013 1:06 am UTC

Pidgeot wrote:From the source code:

[code redacted ;-]

This means that the highest score possible for a single guess is 6479 points. I'm not completely sure how close you have to be in order to get that, but I got that much for an answer that was off by 7 meters, so it's probably close to that.

That's about right. My third try turned up a picture that I thought I recognized; a short search showed that it was in fact the Ипатьевский монастырь (and yeah, I can sorta read Russian, so that's the Ipatyevskiy Monastery), which the wiipedia page told me was at 57° 46′ 35″ N, 40° 53′ 40″ E, along the shore in Кострома, uh, Kostroma. So far, so good.

But then I spent about an hour trying to trick the geoguessr.com page's little map into navigating to that point. I found no way to give it coordinates; I was reduced to pointing anc (double) clicking, which was slooooooow, especially since it often jumped to a strange place or a strange magnification. That's gotta be one of the most difficult GUI tools I've seen. Even when I knew where I was trying to reach, it took over half an hour to get it there.

But it did tell me "Your guess was 0.025 km from the correct location and gave 6477 points." Now I wonder if there's some explanation of that strange little map widget, so I can actually find a place that I know within half an hour. You'd think that, since it's based on google maps, it would behave somewhat like google maps, but it's rather different, and reflexes based on experience with google maps can really lead you astray.

So where does one learn to play this game efficiently, without lots of "Damn!!"s and time wasted trying to steer that little map widget to where you want to point?

coyotebush

Postby coyotebush » Tue May 21, 2013 4:17 am UTC

25388 points with no external research, just some lucky placements and plenty of persistence (spent just shy of 2 hours, on and off, on this; it's a nice way to play).
http://tinyurl.com/lzbar54

MikeNGarrett

Postby MikeNGarrett » Tue May 21, 2013 4:43 am UTC

Hi I'm just some passerby, a stranger to this forum, but not this amazing webcomic. I'd love to show you this awesome thing I found on geoguesser that's related and could encourage discussion. Unfortunately spammers exist, so if you're really interested find me on twitter.

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 am UTC

No google. This has my best and worst answers in it. Freaking australia...
Spoiler:
http://www.geoguessr.com?v=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%3D%3D

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue May 21, 2013 9:52 am UTC

MikeNGarrett wrote:Hi I'm just some passerby, a stranger to this forum, but not this amazing webcomic. I'd love to show you this awesome thing I found on geoguesser that's related and could encourage discussion. Unfortunately spammers exist, so if you're really interested find me on twitter.

Just look around the forums and find a couple of threads to post in - there is a lot of interesting dicsussions you can definitely chip in to, and once you get 5 posts, you can return here.

MattTheTubaGuy

Postby MattTheTubaGuy » Tue May 21, 2013 10:10 am UTC

Pidgeot wrote:From the source code:

Code: Select all

calculatePoints: function (errorDistance) {
    //Points is calculated using
    //2100 * ((1 / (1 + e ^ (-4 * x + 5, 2))) + (1 / e ^ (-8 * x + 17, 5)) + (1 / e ^ (-30 * x + 61, 2)))
    //where x is (circumference - errordistance in european miles (10km))/1000
    var x = (this.earthHalfCircumference - errorDistance) / 10000000;
    return Math.round(2100 * ((1 / (1 + Math.exp(-4 * x + 5.2))) + (1 / (Math.exp(-8 * x + 17.5))) + (1 / (Math.exp(-30 * x + 61.2))) + (500 / (Math.exp(-250 * x + 506.7)))));
}

Wow, that is a really weird formula!

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue May 21, 2013 11:14 am UTC

So the highest possible score (for a game of five rounds) is 32395. I got around 24000, time to practice.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Lukeonia1

Postby Lukeonia1 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

I kinda figured the highest possible score per round was a 6479. I've hit the spot to within a meter and never gotten higher than that.

Also, 32393, with extensive searching and Googling. That one in Brazil was a serious pain; I had to travel several kilometers along a winding switchback-filled road before I found a sign with useful information.

As far as "cheating" goes, I figure you can move around and zoom to view the signs in your immediate area, but no hunting for road signs and no Googling. My best score playing that way was close to 20,000 (I got lucky with Skagway, AK and Elko, NV). I think I like my version, since it makes the game go faster and you get to see more places.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Tue May 21, 2013 1:30 pm UTC

Just tried this, the hard way: No walking around, no googling.
First place: A very modern looking beach city in a warm climate with mostly latin store names, but a few arab ones. So a touristic place in the middle-east. First I thought one of the Emirates, but then I saw a "Royal Hotel" and figured it had to be Saudi Arabia. Nope, it was Eilat. Wth, Israel is not a monarchy.
Second try went reasonably well.
Third place: A deserted, barren, dusty road in the middle of nowhere. Hmm. Must be Oklahoma. Nope, Uruguay. Fair enough, it was a long shot anyway.
Fourth place: A deserted, barran, dusty road in the middle of nowhere. Wait, didn't I just get this one? Well, let's go for Uruguay then.. Nope, Oklahoma!

Stupid game is trolling me :-(
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

apprentice_fu

Postby apprentice_fu » Tue May 21, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

As a long time lurker I just wanted to say: tinyurl[dot]com/GeoGuessr32394 (32394 points).
The American and South African ones were interesting. So one point is still missing.

This game reminds me of an puzzle Advent calender on a german adventure game site. One of puzzles each year was a world tour with google maps (or earth). I loved that.

Foarm

Postby Foarm » Tue May 21, 2013 2:33 pm UTC

I just got an location in the snow, without any streets and no tracks of the tires of an car...
I wonder, can you still call it streetview when google is even using snowmobiles, backpacks and other platforms to roam places?
squonk wrote:Looks like you grossly underestimated the passing of time.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue May 21, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Foarm wrote:I just got an location in the snow, without any streets and no tracks of the tires of an car...
I wonder, can you still call it streetview when google is even using snowmobiles, backpacks and other platforms to roam places?

I got a goddamn river once. I couldn't find a way to the shore and there was nothing to find out where it was.

I forgot where it was already

Zamzara

Postby Zamzara » Tue May 21, 2013 3:35 pm UTC

I'm really enjoying this game – it reminds me of the first Myst. But I do find playing with no Googling allowed a bit boring and too dependent on luck. Allowing it lets you get better scores with more effort.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Tue May 21, 2013 5:10 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
Foarm wrote:I just got an location in the snow, without any streets and no tracks of the tires of an car...

I got a goddamn river once. I couldn't find a way to the shore and there was nothing to find out where it was.

I forgot where it was already

Probably in the Amazon or somewhere nearby. Some places use the rivers as the main transport "road".

And I was also trolled by the game.
- Hm, this seems to be more to the north of the USA. North Dakota it is; (NOPE! New Mexico)
- Next one, very very similar to the previous, so it must be somewhere else in New Mexico. (NOPE! North Dakota)

Demki

Postby Demki » Tue May 21, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

Actually, the best guess I had was where it said the difference was 0.000 km, so, under a meter off. Only got ~6000-7000 points from that.
Then today I did something with a difference of 0.012 km, and got the same amount of points. Dammit diminishing returns.

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:46 pm UTC

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”