1214: "Geoguessr"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Tova

Re: 1214: "Geoguessr"

Postby Tova » Tue May 21, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

PsiSquared wrote:I liked the humour in this one, but the Parthenon in Nashville looks nothing like the original. It may be a replica, but it also looks brand new. That should have been a clear hint for the player that it ain't the one in Athens.

(Yeah, I know, nit-picking. At XKCD. Who would have believed?)

On the other hand, in the past this comic would have been a reference to a Geoguessr in-joke that only a handful would have a hope of recognising (and would have thought hilarious, simply because they were in on it). So given that he didn't do that this time, I can forgive the nits.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Tue May 21, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

jpk wrote:
KyleOwens wrote:
zerox wrote:Which American is going to believe that?

I for one tend to disregard anything a danish tells me.

An eclair on the other hand, is absolutely trustworthy.

Wait wait wait...

So that "cops always at the donut-shop" thing isn't about public-sector laziness? They're there for the informants?

5th Earth

Postby 5th Earth » Wed May 22, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

So I just played for the first time and one of the locations was a gas station that I've personally been to on a road trip through Nevada. It was a particularly memorable place because it's possibly the windiest location I have ever been to in my life.

Anyone else get a hit to a place they've been?
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu May 23, 2013 2:24 am UTC

5th Earth wrote:So I just played for the first time and one of the locations was a gas station that I've personally been to on a road trip through Nevada. It was a particularly memorable place because it's possibly the windiest location I have ever been to in my life.

Anyone else get a hit to a place they've been?

I've got a the chateau-park in Kroměříž. I've only visited it briefly, but nevertheless I immeditately recognised the area as Czech Republic, and after a while narrowed it down to the precise location.

Other than that, I didn't get any major landmarks at all.

vvn

Postby vvn » Thu May 23, 2013 2:45 am UTC

5th Earth wrote:Anyone else get a hit to a place they've been?

Leaning tower of Pisa

My favorite though: An empty country road with two Google cars following.

stib

Postby stib » Thu May 23, 2013 6:22 am UTC

I got one where everything looked like giants had been hurling things around. Then I saw the Japanese text on a sign. I was in Fukushima.

Then I was somewhere in the boring, boring midwestern USA, started driving down the road and a paper bag or something blew over the camera. So there are miles and miles of road where you see nothing but the inside of a bit of random trash.

I play it against my kids. I'm not allowed to duckduckgo but they are. Great way to learn geography.

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu May 23, 2013 9:05 am UTC

stib wrote:Then I was somewhere in the boring, boring midwestern USA, started driving down the road and a paper bag or something blew over the camera. So there are miles and miles of road where you see nothing but the inside of a bit of random trash.

Did you find your way out of the paper bag?

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Thu May 23, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

I wonder if this game gives you harder locations based on how well you're doing. In the game I just played I got the first one within 0.007 km and the second within half a km, and my next location was a dirt road in the jungle where I couldn't move more than a hundred yards or so. I guessed the Philippines and it was the Yucatan. Nice score. Then I got another one that I got within a hundredth of a kilometer and now I'm stuck on a mountain and can't move at all. So I got 21,468 points from three perfect(ish) guesses and two horrible ones.

Spoiler:
http://www.geoguessr.com?v=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

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

Hah. I just got one with right-hand traffic and Spanish signage that included a navigational road sign with kilometer distances to three locations. One was "Rio Grande." Another was "Porto Algere," but that wasn't quite legible in the first image, and in the closer image, "Algere" was blurred out. Naturally, I guessed a location in Mexico, while the location was really in Bolivia. It was an honest-to-God trick question. = )
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

JacobJ

Postby JacobJ » Thu May 23, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

For some reason, it's always very amusing to me when my tiny country in mentioned on the interwebs.

And with the fame and glory of XKCD, where would we be if not a single pedantic mentioned the misspelling of LEGOLAND in the tooltip :)

LEGO is an abbreviation of "LEg GOdt", the danish words for "play well", and so should be capitalized. Why the "LAND" should be in capital letters I have no good explanation for, but in any case, its spelled LEGOLAND, not LegoLand.

Poohblah

Postby Poohblah » Fri May 24, 2013 1:44 am UTC

Beat this. :mrgreen:

I've frequently received locations in islands near Okinawa, mountain scenery in Alaska/northwest Canada, rural Quebec, northern Finland, middle-of-butt-nowhere Siberia, and Australia in/around Perth. I don't know why those locations are so common for me.

5th Earth wrote:Anyone else get a hit to a place they've been?

Yes. Sitka, Alaska for me. Did not recognize it though.

Alphonse

Postby Alphonse » Fri May 24, 2013 4:03 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Hah. I just got one with right-hand traffic and Spanish signage that included a navigational road sign with kilometer distances to three locations. One was "Rio Grande." Another was "Porto Algere," but that wasn't quite legible in the first image, and in the closer image, "Algere" was blurred out. Naturally, I guessed a location in Mexico, while the location was really in Bolivia. It was an honest-to-God trick question. = )

I think you mean Rio Grande do Sul (a state in Brazil) and Porto Alegre (its capital city).

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri May 24, 2013 5:14 am UTC

Yeah, I was dyslexic on Porto Alegre. Google fixed it for me and I didn't think twice. Rio Grande do Sul must have been shortened for the sign. In any case, the distances I remember don't work out, so I think it must have actually not been Bolivia. There's so much fail, there....
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Fri May 24, 2013 11:29 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Hah. I just got one with right-hand traffic and Spanish signage that included a navigational road sign with kilometer distances to three locations. One was "Rio Grande." Another was "Porto Algere," but that wasn't quite legible in the first image, and in the closer image, "Algere" was blurred out. Naturally, I guessed a location in Mexico, while the location was really in Bolivia. It was an honest-to-God trick question. = )

Are you really sure it was Bolivia? Or even better, what were the distances? Because I live in Porto Alegre, Brazil, and Rio Grande is another city somewhat close to Porto Alegre :) Bolivia is about 2000Km from here

EDIT: oops, completely ignored the last posts, my bad. But Rio Grande was probably referring to the city, and not the state (Rio Grande do Sul).

OBloodyHell

Postby OBloodyHell » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:21 am UTC

ashnur wrote:My best score was bit.ly/116uPQi (28394) but it was really because of the C question, which was one park in Japan from which I could not get out. Of course I could've use google, but that is kind of cheating, so I have not used it. If I've gotten 5K+ there my score would be at least ~31K

I think I got that one, too. A floral park with lots of alleyways through the flowers that you could roam around on?
The ridiculous part being they moved through an obvious touristy building-entrance out onto the roadway/parking area, but which then dead-ended?

My best score, read-it and weep:

32185 pts 8-)
Worst case ID 1.2km

http://bit.ly/11s6lT8

Rule: You can "walk" anywhere you want to, as far as you want, in any direction you want, prior to guessing. You want to spend five hours clicking your way down a road, to beat me, you've earned it! :D

Rule for Internet use: City/township name locations only (to keep from having to search entire national maps for information -- only when once found by visual inspection on street view... If you find a sign with a -- recognizably, or at least "very likely" -- city name, it is ok to look that up. Business-name lookups are not allowed".

P.S., I did get lucky on one in that it was an obscure one that I'd already had a week ago and recognized after I traipsed around a bit. I don't think the location is truly random, but that they've got a set of starting points, perhaps only a thousand.

P.P.S., I got totally robbed on the last one, I had it utterly nailed but the stupid map shifted when I zoomed out & back in so I wound up a block over. :?

Second best score:

27761 pts

Internet use:
1) location of exact city name once explicitly found.
2) Tall buildings list

Closest ID: 6m from correct location.

It was an honest-to-God trick question. = )

HAH! I got dumped in an obvious islandy situation, found a truck with "Antigua" clearly on it. Figured, "Ah-hah!" I know where Antigua is! roamed around, could not find anything that matched up on the place-map, finally gave up and just dropped the pointer in the middle of the island...

...Seems there's also an "Antigua" in the Canary Islands, thousands of miles away. :? ARRGH.

And they've mapped at least part of the Canary Islands.... :roll:

P.S., I can regularly get high teens without any google use at all. I just am not patient enough in most cases to poke around looking for a specific city in an identified nation at 1 mile resolution.

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:43 am UTC

But...but...but you CAN trust us Danishes! :(

And also:
Spoiler:
Google.jpg
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

svenman

Postby svenman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

My biggest WTF: finding myself underwater, at a coral reef. Turned out to be a part of the Great Barrier Reef, off the coast of Queensland.
Mostly active on the One True Thread.
If you need help understanding what's going on there, the xkcd Time Wiki may help.

Addams didn't die! But will Addams have a place to live? You can help!

Randallspeed to all blitzers on the One True Thread!

Lopsidation

Postby Lopsidation » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:46 am UTC

I got a haunted town in Russia: Challenge Link (skip to the fourth location and ignore the horrible guesses)

There are at least two ghosts there.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:55 am UTC

Lopsidation wrote:I got a haunted town in Russia: Challenge Link (skip to the fourth location and ignore the horrible guesses)

I actually preferred the second location.

Walk two times on the direction of the traffic and you'll see a bus experimenting relativistic effects.

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:32 am UTC

svenman wrote:My biggest WTF: finding myself underwater, at a coral reef. Turned out to be a part of the Great Barrier Reef, off the coast of Queensland.

I once ended up inside a lighthouse. (Which had a picture of the country's queen I recognized hanging on the wall, and it was on an island, so identification was made a lot easier.)

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:25 am UTC

Lopsidation wrote:I got a haunted town in Russia: Challenge Link (skip to the fourth location and ignore the horrible guesses)

Here you go, a nice link for the spot on google maps.

jpk

Postby jpk » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:55 am UTC

Yes, that town was haunted. It was like a bad dream: I was stuck in one place, I could only turn around in place. And yes, there were ghosts.

btw - your challenge has been accepted... and demolished.... http://url.geoguessr.com/3VuX

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:39 pm UTC

Couple of interesting places I got:

One shot I was able to guess the exact location without moving (or cheating depending on your definition) was the turn 3 grandstands of the Infineon Raceway in northern California (I watch NASCAR).

Got a repeat of one location, some place in New Brunswick.

Reason for this post is that I got a location on a ferry. Actual route of the ferry, not just a one off picture. Was able to nail the location pretty good because of a. the Japanese flag on the back, and b. the abandoned factory island that I recalled a Cracked article including.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”