0207: "What xkcd Means"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Lunch Meat

Re: "What xkcd Means" Discussion

Postby Lunch Meat » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:26 am UTC

Discovered this today:

xkcd means: On your 21st birthday, putting five candles in the cake and lighting the one in the middle and the ones on the ends, then refusing to explain it to anyone.

barf314

Postby barf314 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

11 pages deep and no one has referenced the Nathan Friemel comic?

X = 24
K = 11
C = 3
D = 4

X+K+C+D = 42.

rath358
The bone of my bone

Postby rath358 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

I have finally found a home!!!...

I dont have to put m cell phone in my pocket, i have a catlike phone case which i attch to my belt loops (im a guy btw)

#4--i usually try to coordinae my stride so that steps/tiles is a simple ratio, usually comes out to 3/2 or 3/1
i used to switch tiles diagonally or knigh path style, but my high school has big ass-tiles, and it doesn't work out so well

imontheroof

Postby imontheroof » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:40 am UTC

barf314 wrote:11 pages deep and no one has referenced the Nathan Friemel comic?

X = 24
K = 11
C = 3
D = 4

X+K+C+D = 42.

I am in utter and total awe. Thats well.. I wonder if Randall intended that?

Maybe xkcd is the answer to the ultimate question.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:24 am UTC

aliosha wrote:Does anyone else balance on the edge stones of a pavement as they walk?
Not sure what you meant, but when the sidewalk is higher than the road, I tend to walk with one foot on the sidewalk and one on the road, so that I bob up and down as I walk.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Ciega

Postby Ciega » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:53 am UTC

This is rather amazing how many of us do all these things.... There are no interesting floors where I am now, but I used to have great fun with the sort-of-random placement of colored tiles among gray ones at my elementary school. More uniquely, I pay attention to where the corners and edges of things are (imagine the faint little lines PowerPoint draws for you to help you line things up) and align things with them or avoid stepping on them.
I also do the mouse-scrolling thing; I don't like the mouse to end up over the text of what I'm reading, so I either put it in the margin or adjust it into a paragraph break each time I scroll.
I also do the replaying-conversations thing, both after they've happened and hypothetical ones. Sometimes I actually get the opportunity to use what I would hypothetically say, and I have to be very careful not to get ahead of myself, and remember that the people I'm talking to haven't heard it before. I find it's very helpful, both when I actually need to know what I would say, and just in general to think something out. Although I may put an unusual amount of effort into deciding how the other person would respond...
When I read I always imagine a voice or voices for the speaker, although usually they're pretty generic. After reading several plays aloud in AP Lit last year, I can call up the voices of most of my classmates pretty well, and I have some fun sometimes casting them as the characters in what I'm reading. Having our resident loudmouth as the soldier who draws the short straw in Antigone made it a lot more interesting.
I also have music playing in my head almost constantly; I walk to the beat of it when possible and sometimes end up getting fed up and changing songs when I can't slow down or speed up the music or my feet enough to make them match. The clock in my room also drives me crazy because it limits what songs I can have similarly. Things that are in 3 have to be fast enough that the clock ticks every third beat, or it's just weird...
Usually the only thing in my pockets is my keys (front right); in the winter, my cell phone is in the special inside pocket of my coat intended for it, and most everything else is in my backpack. If I have a piece of paper and don't have my backpack or a book to stick it in, it goes in my right back pocket, where it will make a crinkly sound the next time I sit down and remind me to take it out. The various compartments of my backpack are organized, though, by a combination of "how often do I need to use it?" and "where will it fit?"
GENERATION 22: The first time you see this, add one to the generation number and put it in your signature on any forum. Social experiment.

Valdez87

What "xkcd" means - I think I've got it!

Postby Valdez87 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:06 am UTC

I just want to check it hasn't already been cracked, and I'm just sounding like a damned fool!
I'll post my theory(/the real meaning) once I've heard yours! :D

Thanks

Sarr

Re: What "xkcd" means - I think I've got it!

Postby Sarr » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:07 am UTC

It doesn't mean anything.

EDIT - We've probably also had multiple threads on this. Let me go check.
Last edited by Sarr on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Ambelie

Postby Ambelie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:09 am UTC

It's the meaning of life.

So it really doesn't mean anything at all.

Really.

Numquam

Postby Numquam » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:09 am UTC

admiror, o internet, te non cecidisse (ruinis)
qui tot scriptorum taedia sustineas

Valdez87

Postby Valdez87 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:12 am UTC

Heh, yeah saw that issue :)

I just signed up - yup, pretty certain it would have appeared as a topic... just had a EUREKA moment, I may as well reveal what I think (though of course Munroe probably didn't intend this at all):

Valdez87

Postby Valdez87 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:14 am UTC

XD -> laughing hard
KC -> frowning/unhappy

A bit emo maybe, sorry! I think it's metaphoric for the feel of some of the issues - the unhappiness inside the joy...

...maybe?

(or maybe not!)

Ambelie

Postby Ambelie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:18 am UTC

But... You're taking the letters out of order, for your theory the comic would have to be named XDKC.

And you can edit your posts and not double posts, just to let you know.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:33 am UTC

Valdez87. Hi. Welcome to the forums. Read rules & stuff first. Also about pages are helpful.

http://xkcd.com/about/

Randall Christine Munroe wrote: What does XKCD stand for?
It's not actually an acronym. It's just a word with no phonetic pronunciation -- a treasured and carefully-guarded point in the space of four-character strings.

Although everyone in the RM secret club knows it stands for xanthochroic kids can't dance.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:29 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Valdez87. Hi. Welcome to the forums. Read rules & stuff first. Also about pages are helpful.

http://xkcd.com/about/

Randall Christine Munroe wrote: What does XKCD stand for?
It's not actually an acronym. It's just a word with no phonetic pronunciation -- a treasured and carefully-guarded point in the space of four-character strings.

Although everyone in the RM secret club knows it stands for xanthochroic kids can't dance.

What. The. Heck.

I knew that Randall is Xanthophobic. I just knew it.

We're people too!

Not cool, not funny, not a good acronym.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

luketheduke
Sour Kraut

Postby luketheduke » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:26 am UTC

It's racism!

(It really is!)
As long as I know how to love / I know I'll stay alive /
'cause I've got all my life to live / and I've got all my love to give / and I'll survive /
I will survive

spirov92

Postby spirov92 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:23 am UTC

gordon wrote:Am I the only one who makes sure to put their wallet/phone/keys/loose change in the exact same pocket every time?

I do that too. Also I do 2 and occasionally 4. Oh, and I often do the thing described by Lethal Interjection (only way to cross an intersection on a bike :) ) hey, ending parenthetical statements with emoticon!

leveldeaded

Postby leveldeaded » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

Is posting to XKCD fora about OCD traits some kind of self-medication? Does it make us feel good about ourselves to have increasingly dysfunctional OCD habits?
fuck land I'm on a boat motherfucker fuck trees I climb buoys motherfucker.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

It does help to know that there are people out there with similar, uh, attributes. However, David Malki ! illustrates the problem of such a meeting of like-minded obsessive, compulsive individuals:

We're all just like-minded freaks reassuring each other that we don't need to conform to some marketing-driven farce of normality.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

leveldeaded

Postby leveldeaded » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

Yes. Burning man XKCD camp soon to convene.
fuck land I'm on a boat motherfucker fuck trees I climb buoys motherfucker.

sircheeziusbreezius

Postby sircheeziusbreezius » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:07 pm UTC

My parents used to criticize me for doing 4 in public with them, so me and my friends would have races and one watcher to make sure no one broke the rules of the tiles.
Also
phone, gum, pens/pencils- front left
ipod- front right or right jacket
keys- hooked to the beltloop nearest back right pocket and tucked in
He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him. He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; shun him. He who knows and knows that he knows is wise; follow him.

dean.menezes

Postby dean.menezes » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:23 am UTC

Lunch Meat wrote:Discovered this today:

xkcd means: On your 21st birthday, putting five candles in the cake and lighting the one in the middle and the ones on the ends, then refusing to explain it to anyone.

I got that immediately

Spoiler:
it's binary 10101 = 1 + 4 + 16

I don't know if that is a good thing or not

Anyway, sometimes I pronounce exclamation point as factorial even if it was not actually intended that way. (e.g. 'Only $3.99!' means gamma(4.99) ~= $23.64). Some people thought that was from XKCD but I'm pretty sure there is no comic about this.

Melkarion

Postby Melkarion » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

dean.menezes wrote:Anyway, sometimes I pronounce exclamation point as factorial even if it was not actually intended that way. (e.g. 'Only $3.99!' means gamma(4.99) ~= $23.64). Some people thought that was from XKCD but I'm pretty sure there is no comic about this.

I usually do the opposite, which is to say that when I have to read mathematical expressions aloud I make a point of reading factorials in a more animated tone, one befitting the exclamation point. This is actually pretty easy to do without raising any eyebrows, if only because almost everyone who has to read more than one equation aloud in the course of a conversation lapses into the same monotone, however animated their usual speaking style is.

And hey, factorials are pretty exciting, after all.

Don't get me started on 0!, though...
"... for a man to understand what he himself says is one thing, and to understand himself in what is said is something else." -Soren K.

An ironic motto of sorts:
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit. -W. Somerset Maugham.

pancake bunny

Postby pancake bunny » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:13 am UTC

wow i toatally do 4
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

MuffledScreams

Postby MuffledScreams » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:11 am UTC

xanax kinda causes drowsiness

What!? It does...

Ok seriously thought xkcd means starting a conversation with someone about something... having one subject bounce around randomly in your head from one random topic to the next family guy style and you say something else out completely unrelated to the subject at hand. The other person looks at you weird, but if they could have followed the sequence of random connections in your head they might not be confused... maybe.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

dean.menezes wrote:

I got that immediately

Spoiler:

Who uses five-bit integers? You should really do it with 16 candles - or 32.
If you use 32, you could light them in this sequence instead:

Which has the bonus of not being something everyone will get right away.

dennisw

Postby dennisw » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:25 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:...Who uses five-bit integers?...

Perhaps you've been waiting for Baudot?

Edit: Ha! I thought of another one! Waiting for Huffman!

I scare myself sometimes.
Try the Printifier for xkcd. You can now scale the comic between 50 and 150%.

I find these very useful: Common Errors in English Usage (web site) and Eats, Shoots & Leaves (book). You may, too.

e pluribus unum
Unleash unlicensed ungulates!

SherryCQ

Re:

Postby SherryCQ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:01 pm UTC

I'm still a bit nervous about keeping my sanity, crime record, and limbs intact since I'm a new driver, and I'm not much of a mathematician, but 2 and 4 are DEFINITELY everpresent things in my life.

Gordon wrote:Am I the only one who makes sure to put their wallet/phone/keys/loose change in the exact same pocket every time?

Keys: First belt loop to the right.
Wallet: Left pocket.
Cell phone: Right Pocket.
Change from the day's purchases: Right pocket.
Pocket watch: Left pocket/left belt loop, to keep it and my cell phone from scratching each other up. It gets along much more easily with my wallet.

Occasionally I switch things up, but the pocket-watch and wallet will always be in separate pockets. My mom doesn't like me carrying a pocket watch around, for some reason--she says they're a man's item.

Blodhgarm14

Postby Blodhgarm14 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

Has anyone seen this yet?

http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/2317.html

lol.

Wummi

Re: Re:

Postby Wummi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

JCCyC wrote:
Gordon wrote:Am I the only one who makes sure to put their wallet/phone/keys/loose change in the exact same pocket every time?

Wallet: back right
Change: back left
Phone: front left
Keys: front right

i just registered to say. this guy reads minds.

it's exactly my pocketconfiguration! AWSOME!

FLK!

Postby FLK! » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:27 am UTC

Oh me yarm! I do 3 out of four of these!

PieceofPi

Postby PieceofPi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

So I'm not crazy?
(Or at least not uniquely crazy)
I do not know where family doctors acquired illegibly perplexing handwriting; nevertheless, extraordinary pharmaceutical intellectuality, counterbalancing indecipherability, transcendentalizes intercommunications' incomprehensibleness.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:15 am UTC

Random832 wrote:
dean.menezes wrote:

I got that immediately

Spoiler:

At the risk of having my geek card taken away, I don't understand how 01000001101010000000000000000000 represents 21 :?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

luke2

Postby luke2 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:45 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:
Random832 wrote:
dean.menezes wrote:

I got that immediately

Spoiler:

At the risk of having my geek card taken away, I don't understand how 01000001101010000000000000000000 represents 21 :?

It's a binary representation of a float.
0 = sign (+)
10000011 = exponent (-127+1+2+128 = 4)
01010000000000000000000 -> implicit leading 1 = 101010000000000000000000, which is 1 + 0.25 + 0.0625 = mantissa (1.3125) - each is worth half of the preceding.
then it's just 1.3125*(2^4) = 21

or you could just dig it up in your debugger.
Last edited by luke2 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:34 am UTC

*nevermind, I figured it out*

So as to make this post useful:

wallet in right pocket (inner)
phone in right pocket (outer)
most other items in left pocket

And I often do #4. Usually I make up rules on the spot depending on the size and coloring of the tiles. I also sometimes do a similar thing with sidewalks, usually involving the number of strides, the number of "tiles" (slabs of sidewalk, whatever you call them), and the cracks in the sidewalk. I absolutely hate it when the slabs are just slightly too long for my rules to work nicely!
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:48 am UTC

Xanthochroic? Why, of course, it's xanthochroic! I should have thought of that sooner! What else could it possibly be but xanthochroic? It all fits now!

I only have one question, Chief...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Robot Overlord

Postby Robot Overlord » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:12 am UTC

I put everything in my front pockets (wallet and iPod in the left, phone in the right). I hate sitting on my wallet.

Oh, and I've contemplated doing #1 at many a long red light. I wonder how small of a U-turn you could get away with. And I do #2 and #4 all the time. As for #3, I once took the factorial of some ridiculously large number in Windows Calculator to see what would happen, but nothing so epic as taking A(g_64, g_64).

Karma Machine

What xkcd means

Postby Karma Machine » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

This webcomic is rediculously enjoyable, and when I came across this I had to laugh. I save a few seconds off of red lights by going in random routes trying to beat the light. I have called my cell on many occasions to find it. alright, I havn't called the ackermann foundation, but I have confused my friend whos last name is ackerman with complicated math. And finally as a child (and to this day) I picked out patterns on the floor and I would think the off patterns were lava or something of the sort so I would avoid them, while stepping on the safe part of the pattern. just thought I'd share, and show my enjoyment of this whole web comic. I can relate. A++

http://xkcd.com/207/

Math_Mage

Re: Re:

Postby Math_Mage » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:39 am UTC

JCCyC wrote:

Wallet: back right
Change: back left
Phone: front left
Keys: front right

Cargo pants! :D
Keys/pencils: front left
Glasses: left thigh
Phone: front right
Wallet: right thigh

Playing golf = habits about what stuff goes in which pockets.

TheGuyWithTheHat

Postby TheGuyWithTheHat » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:30 pm UTC

You're all Aspies :P
If English teachers teach English and Maths teachers teach Maths, then Head Teachers must teach...
Live in the UK? You must click here!

velocipirate wrote:but the question is, which cheese would a velociraptor choose?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”