0207: "What xkcd Means"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

tylerni7

Postby tylerni7 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

It's funny that I can remember that game even though it came out in 1991, when I would have been 1 year old. I must have played it long after it came out...

xkcd means knowing every obscure video game created.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:24 pm UTC

I only ever played SkiFree in stores where there were computers on display running Win31. My dad had a laptop that we used sometimes, but it was an 8086 and had no hard drive.

Shortly afterwards we got a Macintosh, so still no SkiFree.

And now I run GNU/Linux.

Will my thirst for SkiFree never end?
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

EOTistatron

Postby EOTistatron » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

Yup. It's official: everyone here is neurotic.

I cannot begin to relate how many of the above I've done before, or still do on a regular basis. :wink:

Puzzler183

Postby Puzzler183 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:41 pm UTC

I do all of those things (from the comic), and a whole lot of others :-S

Does anyone else think about the control algorithms for elevators when you push the buttons?

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:21 pm UTC

EOTistatron wrote:Yup. It's official: everyone here is neurotic.

Yup. It's official: everyone is neurotic.

Some people just don't talk about it on the Webtubes.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:22 pm UTC

aldimond wrote:I only ever played SkiFree in stores where there were computers on display running Win31. My dad had a laptop that we used sometimes, but it was an 8086 and had no hard drive.

Shortly afterwards we got a Macintosh, so still no SkiFree.

And now I run GNU/Linux.

Will my thirst for SkiFree never end?

you could use WINE
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:33 pm UTC

But then I'd have to violate copyright law by pirating SkiFree! I'd be a common criminal!

(Actually... I have no problem with copying things whose copyright terms would be over by a reasonable standard like 20 years from creation (at least for things like music, movies and software this seems reasonable to me; there might be other copyrightable items that require longer protection to foster innovation because of long terms to market and high development costs). So perhaps in 2011 if this thread is accurate on SkiFree's creation date I would be OK with enjoying it on my GNU/Linux box.)

tylerni7

Postby tylerni7 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:48 pm UTC

Hm I haven't used this myself, but there is some SkiFree version for posix systems...
http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=skifree

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:54 pm UTC

SkiFree and the rest of the games are no longer sold. Ergo I have no problem with giving them away. Plus, it's a Microsoft product. They don't need any more money. :P
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:02 am UTC

jlintern wrote:For example, that last clause, "whichever helps to reach that magical number of 5 or 10", has 11 words. So close.

The "to" is extraneous. 10 words. This isn't.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

umbrae

Postby umbrae » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:24 am UTC

It REALLY means using google to find your phone instead.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:47 pm UTC

umbrae wrote:It REALLY means using google to find your phone instead.

...I'd say umbrae wins, but until he shoops the picture to include that into the comic, THERE CAN BE NO WIN
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

OmnipotentEntity

Postby OmnipotentEntity » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:20 am UTC

Honestly, I thought I was the only one who walked on tile like that...
Build a man a fire and warm him for a day,
Set a man on fire and warm him for the rest of his life.

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:46 am UTC

SKI-FREE! THAT WAS ONE OF THE GAMES I FORGOT ABOUT IN THE OTHER THREAD!!!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Anyone know of a game from not too much later where you controlled a spaceship-like thing on a vector graphic racetrack (think like the 32X 3D games) (not mac attack)?

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:11 am UTC

theres an ok one called taurus trooper online somewhere. not sure exactly becausea friend found it for me, but its good.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Aoeniac

Postby Aoeniac » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:25 pm UTC

It means whistling songs in public places and trying to catch people who show signs of recognizing it.

On a related note, lots of people know the Time Warp.
Class: 12th level Epiphenomenalist Alignment: Rational

WhiteWizard42

Postby WhiteWizard42 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:39 am UTC

thefiddler wrote:
Nomic wrote:I allso do the "play out conversations in you'r head"-thing, but allways after a conversation, when I come up with something witty to say. Then I imagine how thye might have reacted. Usually that is nothing liek what the real reaction would've been tho.

Esprit de l'escalier. It's French for "the spirit of the stairway." Basically, you come up with the exact, biting, scathing remark that would put said person in their place... but its too late. For me, it's usually by at least half an hour. :( 'Cause I definitely replay conversations in my head ALL THE TIME.

As for it being someone else's voice you hear when you read... I don't hear mine, either.

i think the more common translation is "staircase wit", and i do it too.

"like an old man saying, 'and another thing...' half an hour after he's lost an argument."
~Douglas Adams

i also try to turn random number sequences (like house addresses) into equations without adding any numbers. bonus points if you don't have to move the numbers around.

i do 4, and would do 1 and 2 if i had a cell or a car.

why am i telling you people on the Blagoblog about this?
Last edited by WhiteWizard42 on Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Never argue with a fool, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

You're telling us because you love us and want us to be happy.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:28 pm UTC

happy is good! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

I'm trying to work out why jet has a song named ''l'esprit de escalier" or whatever...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Miike

Postby Miike » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:22 pm UTC

Yeah, guilty of very nearly everything that's been brought up.

What a great forum.

dogemperor

Postby dogemperor » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:21 am UTC

ekim wrote:
Alky wrote:I thought the Ackermann one was the best, just because of the ridiculous size of the number being described. I just want to know what the before-last digit in it is.

The last two digits of A(4,n) for n>0 will always be 33 (check this by looking at the 2^^(n+3) - 3 tower mod 100). And since each level of the Ackermann picks its values from the level before it, A(m,n) for m bigger than 4 will end in 33 as well.

The really scary thing in this is that we probably have more of a clear idea of the last two digits of what I term the "xkcd monster" (A(g_64,g_64)) than we do of g_64 itself :D (Seriously, it was only in a proof released about eight years ago that it was in fact confirmed that g_64 was the largest named number; it is so astonishingly huge that pretty much it is uncomputable in the conventional sense and is even hard to properly compare to other extremely large numbers like the mega and moser.)

(And does this make me an especially sick bastard for not only ROFLing at the Ackermann bit, but going on to explain complete with mathematical diagrams using several different systems of expressing insanely huge numbers as to why this would either fascinate a maths geek or give them a screaming migraine? :D Yes, I actually sat down and mucked with it, so help me God. Now we need to run BB(A(g_64, g_64))... Oh, and yes, guilty of the rest too :3)

glasserc

What does xkcd mean?

Postby glasserc » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:09 am UTC

Am I the only person to wonder what the acronym/word/whatever "xkcd" means, or is the original comic the canonical response to that sort of question?

Ethan

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:20 am UTC

we're mostly adults now... it's up to us to decide what XKCD means.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

cmacis

Postby cmacis » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:37 am UTC

It means "comic with unpronounceable but not unspellable abbreviation".

sorry, been spending time in the esoteric languages thread.
li te'o te'a vei pai pi'i ka'o ve'o su'i pa du li no
Mathematician is a function mapping tea onto theorems. Sadly this function is irreversible.
QED is Latin for small empty box.
Ceci n’est pas une [s]pipe[/s] signature.

StuMo

Postby StuMo » Mon May 07, 2007 6:04 pm UTC

On the subject of only stepping on certain colours of tile, does anyone else find the Abbey Road album cover painful to look at?

[url=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/42/Beatles_-_Abbey_Road.jpg]
[/url]
I can't look at it for more than about a second. :(

John and George (far right and far left respectively) aren't too painful to look at, but it hurts to look at Paul or Ringo, as they're each one foot on white and ohter foot on black.

There's one of these zebra crossings (if that's what they're called) near my school and I have to cross it every day to get there - and I get weird looks always.
Richard Feynman was a genius, but then they do say that there's a very fine line between genius and madness. Ah, so that explains Feynman Diagrams then.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Tue May 08, 2007 1:49 am UTC

I always had to step on at leat one crack because one day all matter might fall away and all that would be left would be the cracks so unless I was on one I would fall ^_^

and around here the crosswalks are a funky double zebra pattern so everytime I try to step only on the whight but it never works :cry:

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Tue May 08, 2007 3:16 am UTC

I always did the 4th one, although I haven't done it in awhile...or maybe I just do it instinctively now...
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

mrguy753

Postby mrguy753 » Wed May 09, 2007 2:50 am UTC

The first time i read this, i was like: "Holy expletive! other people instinctively make up rules for walking on patterned surfaces! I'm not alone!"

Now someone just needs to make a comic about how they think the most fun thing to do on a hot summer day is to use a garden hose on the jet setting to blast the dirt/plants out of the cracks between brick patios. Then I might start to think i'm normal...
I sing anyway.

smocc

Postby smocc » Wed May 09, 2007 1:26 pm UTC

No, the most fun thing to on a hot summer day is writing your name in FREAKING ASPHALT with a pressure washer. :shock:
Dogs with diabetes need less love

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Wed May 09, 2007 5:47 pm UTC

Cell phone in my front left pocket, keys in my front right, wallet in my back left. I need a smaller wallet so that it stops falling out though.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

mrguy753

Postby mrguy753 » Thu May 10, 2007 10:51 pm UTC

smocc wrote:No, the most fun thing to on a hot summer day is writing your name in FREAKING ASPHALT with a pressure washer. :shock:

must... go... get... pressure washer...
I sing anyway.

Sprocket
Seymour

Karnaugh Compulsive

Postby Sprocket » Mon May 14, 2007 7:27 pm UTC

It means replacing the O with a K so instead of being X-Obsessive Compulsive, you're an X- Karnaugh Compulsive Disorder sufferer.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Tue May 15, 2007 6:51 am UTC

OK, I had to join the forum because of number 4, and see if anyone else does a variation of it as I do.

Does anyone else see how many times they can scroll their mousewheel up / down and not hit any lines? Particularly in a forum like this.

I'll position the mouse in an area, and see how many times I can "click" the wheel up or down, without the cursor landing on a line. If it hits a line, then I reposition the mouse to where I may be able to scroll more times without hitting a line. I get way too excited if I manage a whole page without landing on a line.

Please... tell me I'm not the only person that does this.

KJ

YAY!

Also th pocket thing. pen in my right pocket evn though I'm a lefty
=]

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri May 18, 2007 6:45 pm UTC

OK, I had to join the forum because of number 4, and see if anyone else does a variation of it as I do.

Does anyone else see how many times they can scroll their mousewheel up / down and not hit any lines? Particularly in a forum like this.

I'll position the mouse in an area, and see how many times I can "click" the wheel up or down, without the cursor landing on a line. If it hits a line, then I reposition the mouse to where I may be able to scroll more times without hitting a line. I get way too excited if I manage a whole page without landing on a line.

Please... tell me I'm not the only person that does this.

KJ

I do something kind of like that. I have to put my cursor into a position such that (ie) I can scroll two clicks and remain inside the termination of say, the right side of this text box.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Angry Rooster

Postby Angry Rooster » Tue May 22, 2007 1:05 am UTC

Puzzler183 wrote:Does anyone else think about the control algorithms for elevators when you push the buttons?

Well... now I will. Neuroses are a great way to keep from getting bored. Cheaper than hobbies, too.

KingAl

Postby KingAl » Sun May 27, 2007 3:58 am UTC

dwm wrote:That expression seems a little odd to me. It seems more natural (and possibly more correct?) to say "legally questionable" ...

Legally questionable could mean either 'able to be questioned within legal bounds' or 'questionable in a legal context', whereas questionably legal can only mean 'legal to a questionable extent' - the latter is less ambiguous. The best turn of phrase would be 'of questionable legality', probably.

StuMo wrote:On the subject of only stepping on certain colours of tile, does anyone else find the Abbey Road album cover painful to look at?

You bastard! You've permanently ruined that album cover for me!

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Sun May 27, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

Aoeniac wrote:It means whistling songs in public places and trying to catch people who show signs of recognizing it.

On a related note, lots of people know the Time Warp.

it means showing that you recognise a song in public places so that total strangers know you like their music.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Waffles

Postby Waffles » Mon May 28, 2007 10:52 am UTC

XKCD means counting to 31 on one hand

voodooKobra
You just....

Postby voodooKobra » Mon May 28, 2007 10:59 am UTC

Or, if you're up to the task, 1023 on 2 hands.
If you need to reach me, email kobrasrealm@gmail.com

in b4 spam

Kobra's Corner - My horribly-written opinions that aren't worth reading. Seriously; you're better off reading Nietzsche translated into myspace user lingo.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon May 28, 2007 11:08 am UTC

voodooKobra wrote:Or, if you're up to the task, 1023 on 2 hands.

1+2+4+8+16
+
32+64+128+256+512
=
1023?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”