0207: "What xkcd Means"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Duddle

Postby Duddle » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:10 pm UTC

asliceofpi wrote:I had to create an account when I saw this comic. XP

Since 7th grade, I have never been able to walk on my own set of lines. When I read 4, it made me so happy that I'm not the only person who walks awkwardly like that.

Thank you for making a dork feel at home. :D

Ditto! :D

Duddle

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

Back right: Wallet
Front right: Cash, cell phone, iPod
Front left: Keys, car key (on a separate ring w/ alarm remote), change
Back left: Used only for miscellaneous items. If I'm handed a business card, envelopes, etc.

Mix

Postby Mix » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:14 pm UTC

Does it count if I do #1 as a pedestrian?
"This solvent-soaked rag opens my mind to startling insights."
-from here

Don't Click

ekim

Postby ekim » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

Alky wrote:I thought the Ackermann one was the best, just because of the ridiculous size of the number being described. I just want to know what the before-last digit in it is.

The last two digits of A(4,n) for n>0 will always be 33 (check this by looking at the 2^^(n+3) - 3 tower mod 100). And since each level of the Ackermann picks its values from the level before it, A(m,n) for m bigger than 4 will end in 33 as well.

Casey

Postby Casey » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:23 pm UTC

I swear, Munroe, if I find out that I went back in time, changed my name, and made a webcomic, I'm going to turn your whole life into a paradox.

-c.

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:30 pm UTC

No.

I do number one a bit. There's a cool roundabout near my house which, traffic providing, I can turn off on the wrong side of the road, travel down a wee way, then turn down a little one way bit the wrong way, and that will take me to the street my street is off, instead of having to go much further down the road and double back. Something like this:

Grincement
Should have Boobs (In theory)

Postby Grincement » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:39 pm UTC

Sometimes when driving home after babysitting there's this roundabout and my exit is all the way round the roundabout and seeing as this is 2o'clock in the morning in the country side there is no one else about and so I'm so tempted to just drive the wrong way round the roundabout to my exit. However, I'm yet to try this, I'm too scared in case I get caught!!
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes - Douglas Adams

Verysillyman
"Do me! Do me!"

Postby Verysillyman » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:41 pm UTC

i've only once had a car coming out of the one way bit when I was doing htis :P Another time i decided to play it safe, and three cars came racing through.

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:03 pm UTC

I wonder how far in the busy beaver sequence you have to go to pwn A(g_64, g_64). The 100th is with all likelihood enough. Maybe even the 50th, 20th or maybe 10th.

FMZ

Postby FMZ » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

OK, I had to join the forum because of number 4, and see if anyone else does a variation of it as I do.

Does anyone else see how many times they can scroll their mousewheel up / down and not hit any lines? Particularly in a forum like this.

I'll position the mouse in an area, and see how many times I can "click" the wheel up or down, without the cursor landing on a line. If it hits a line, then I reposition the mouse to where I may be able to scroll more times without hitting a line. I get way too excited if I manage a whole page without landing on a line.

Please... tell me I'm not the only person that does this.

KJ

GreedyAlgorithm

Postby GreedyAlgorithm » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:49 pm UTC

Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:I wonder how far in the busy beaver sequence you have to go to pwn A(g_64, g_64). The 100th is with all likelihood enough. Maybe even the 50th, 20th or maybe 10th.

Ooh, I was just going to mention that. In the circles I run we a) call the busy beaver function of n "BB(n)", and b) express "a large number" as "BB(BB(BB(BB(3))))" or something similar.
GENERATION 1-i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

Devil_H@ck

Postby Devil_H@ck » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:05 pm UTC

I do the weird walk stuff from time to time, but I try to make it fairly normal looking, so most of the time, no one will notice.

As for the pocket thing:
front left: wallet
front right: cellphone, keys, Victorinox army knife (to use as a screwdriver, tweezers, ...), Tic Tacs (orange flavor of course)
front right small pocket (check your jeans if you don't know what I mean, they all have them): Benchmade knife (a 556S, for cutting stuff, this thing owns, but you'll cut your finger off just like that, so I have to be carefull :))
back pockets: nothing, the odd receipt now & then

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:25 pm UTC

Pocket:

Front Right : Cellphone, Keys
Back Right : Wallet

Nothing else -.-
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

I'm the same as Pesh, though I usually put my keys either in my hand or coat pocket if I am in fact wearing a coat/hoodie.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

ark

11 and the microwave

Postby ark » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

I hope that usually entering times in the microwave that are multiples of 11 also counts as xkcd.

bonus points for doing 88 when you want a minute and thirty seconds

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:24 pm UTC

FMZ wrote:OK, I had to join the forum because of number 4, and see if anyone else does a variation of it as I do.

Does anyone else see how many times they can scroll their mousewheel up / down and not hit any lines? Particularly in a forum like this.

I'll position the mouse in an area, and see how many times I can "click" the wheel up or down, without the cursor landing on a line. If it hits a line, then I reposition the mouse to where I may be able to scroll more times without hitting a line. I get way too excited if I manage a whole page without landing on a line.

KJ

Nope, you're not alone. I do it all the time. Especially when coding and wandering forums. I can for instance tell you that in my java IDE, it scrolls skilling 2 lines every time, and I try to see where in my code I can go the farthest without having the cursor touch any black text.

I do the tile thinger too...like most here also thought I was the only crazy one :P

Pockets...I can only stand to have stuff in my right-side pockets for some reason, so I wear cargo pants for the added right pocket, esp since I have about 20 rings on my keychan (yes, rings...with only about 7 keys - it may be a weapon :) ).
Right Back - wallet
Right upper front - pen, notes if applicable
Right lower - keys, pocket knife

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:27 pm UTC

I often do the mousewheel thing too :-)
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Lethal Interjection

Postby Lethal Interjection » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:39 pm UTC

Squeak wrote:Sometimes when driving home after babysitting there's this roundabout and my exit is all the way round the roundabout and seeing as this is 2o'clock in the morning in the country side there is no one else about and so I'm so tempted to just drive the wrong way round the roundabout to my exit. However, I'm yet to try this, I'm too scared in case I get caught!!

Its funny, we have a few small roundabouts in my town. No one knows how to use them properly. But thats not what I came here to say.
I will go the wrong way around, mostly only late at night.
However, there used to be two that I would go consistently the wrong way.
One was based on a corner of a street where there was supposed to be another street coming off of it but construction was very delayed (like by several years at least). So this roundabout wasn't even at an intersection, it was at a 90 degree bend in the road. I wasn't about to put up with that nonsense. A third road has since been built though, so I'm more cautious. It was always fun freaking people out with that one, especially if they were coming from the other way (there is enough room for both directions of traffic to turn.
The second was a three way roundabout just ridiculous in its placement. Imagine hanging a hoop from a string. Thats what this one looks like. So one way its basically straight (no adjacent street on that one), the other way it looks something like the route I posted earlier in the thread (which does have an adjacent street). So unless I see a car coming from the opposite way, I take the route that is basically straight, rather than having to slow down to go the long way around the traffic circle.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

It seems that no matter what, the sidewalk 'blocks' are too small or too big for my strides.. and I end up having to do these shuffle steps to make sure i don't step on the 'gaps.' I also have the tendency when i listen to music to walk the tempo of the music. Oh, being a music major...

Pockets:

(I'm lefty, in case you can't tell)
Left Front: Keys
Left Rear: Wallet, reciepts
Right Front: mp3 player, contact lens drops, random pieces of paper/wrappers
Right Rear: cell phone

unless i'm wearing cargos... then it becomes:
Left Front: Keys
Left Rear: wallet, etc.
Right Front: contact drops, cell phone
Right leg: mp3 player
Right rear: empty
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

EOTistatron

Postby EOTistatron » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:04 pm UTC

Well, I have a certain version of 4, though it may be due more to an OCD-type-thingy than simple fancy. I don't care (too much) what I step on, as long as I step on the same amount of the same type (of surfaces/tiles/etc.) with each foot.

The same pocket thing is also rather prevalent. Cell phone goes in right front. Always.

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:17 pm UTC

I love how you can somehow get that perfect auugh-the-goggles-do-nothing expression on a faceless stick figure.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

wisnij

Postby wisnij » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:26 pm UTC

FMZ wrote:Does anyone else see how many times they can scroll their mousewheel up / down and not hit any lines? Particularly in a forum like this.

YES. For me, it's also acceptable if the cursor in its text-editing-bar form lands right in the middle of an "open" character like an O or a lowercase N.

I also count things in such a way that they have to add up to 10 or a multiple of 10. It's weird because it's okay if I "cheat" as long as I can justify it to myself... like, I'll count the letters on a poster and if there are 19, I'll count all the spaces inside letters like A and R together as one to make 20 total.
I burn the cheese. It does not burn me.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:37 pm UTC

FMZ wrote:OK, I had to join the forum because of number 4, and see if anyone else does a variation of it as I do.

KJ

I do not do this, but, somewhat similarly, when scrolling down using the mousewheel (navigating by clicks of course) It bugs me when I scroll, and the top of the visible page does not reveal a full line of text. I have to use the 'click-down-themouse-wheel-andgently-oh-so-gently-readjust' thing. Anyone else? Or is it just me?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Doozer

Postby Doozer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

Jeez, is everyone who reads xkcd this neurotic? I do variations on tile walking everywhere I go, with all kinds of tiles and many common rules. For example, I avoid stepping on the two imaginary lines that come out from two walls meeting in a corner. Or, when I am pacing around in my office, which has these funny striped carpet squares (over a raised floor) I make sure that my feet are always parallel to the direction of the stripes that I am standing on.

Also:
Front left: wallet, keys, change, receipts
Front right: phone (it's a nice phone so it gets its own pocket, I used to put my keys in here too... and I still get tripped up when I go to reach for them)

nes

Postby nes » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:35 pm UTC

I admit to #4 as well, though I'm not quite OCD about it. If I have nothing better to do while out walking, I'll sometimes try to take an even number of steps (trying to start with the right foot) on a square of sidewalk, or in between cracks, etc. Like someone else said, my stride doesn't match up with this very well, so if it doesn't work out I'll just shrug and try again on the next one.

I don't drive (by choice), so I can't claim #1, but (like a previous commenter) my bike also has an amazing ability to transform into a pedestrian when it's convenient. I also don't have a cell phone, so I can't claim #2, and I haven't done any advanced math since high school, so I had no clue what #3 was.

I do the pocket thing though, and this is pretty OCD, but it's for a very good reason. I have a terrible memory, so I need to get into a pattern to remember everything. For my work outfit, work keys go in the right front pocket, house keys in the pocket inside that pocket, wallet in the left leg pocket (cargo pants), and my name badge and pen in my shirt pocket. The left front pocket is left empty for things like kleenex, receipts, or whatever. I hate having things in my back pockets.

I even have a "counting game" to make sure I've remembered everything. I'll touch each part (to make sure it's there) and count the number in my head as I go:

1: keys
2: wallet
3: belt
4: tie
5: watch
6: name badge & pen

Kind of dorky, but I haven't forgotten anything at home since I started doing it.

I do not do this, but, somewhat similarly, when scrolling down using the mousewheel (navigating by clicks of course) It bugs me when I scroll, and the top of the visible page does not reveal a full line of text. I have to use the 'click-down-themouse-wheel-andgently-oh-so-gently-readjust' thing. Anyone else? Or is it just me?

I don't have a mouse wheel (I use a trackball, not a mouse), but I use a similar function with the "middle" (actually the second left button, mapped as a middle button) mouse button to scroll in web pages, and this allows annoys me. Even if I'm using the arrow keys or the page keys to scroll and this happens I'll whip out the "middle" mouse button (or the scrollbar) to line it up.

I also seem to have this habit of using parenthetical remarks to clarify everything.

zed0

Postby zed0 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

I do the walking one a lot, whenever I'm on any sort of paving or marked floor.

Pockets:
Right zippable: Walet, pen knife
Right non-zippable: CD pen, biro, pencil
Left zippable: Phone, keys, USB stick, torch
Left non-zippable: String and sometimes other junk

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

GreedyAlgorithm wrote:
Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:I wonder how far in the busy beaver sequence you have to go to pwn A(g_64, g_64). The 100th is with all likelihood enough. Maybe even the 50th, 20th or maybe 10th.

Ooh, I was just going to mention that. In the circles I run we a) call the busy beaver function of n "BB(n)", and b) express "a large number" as "BB(BB(BB(BB(3))))" or something similar.

It's really pretty ridiculous how quickly one can express a number whose size is beyond all comprehension. For example, (BB^BB(g_64))(g_64) where f^n represents the nth iterate of f. I don't think it would be possible to give a physical description of such a number, since anything that represents a physically meaningful object is likely to be somewhat small or else infinite. And yet such numbers can be described mathematically relatively simply using only the ideas of Turing machines and iteration. It just shows how tremendously odd the blindingly obvious statement that "most numbers are very very large" really is.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

warriorness
Huge Fucking-Lazer

Re: 11 and the microwave

Postby warriorness » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:39 pm UTC

ark wrote:I hope that usually entering times in the microwave that are multiples of 11 also counts as xkcd.

bonus points for doing 88 when you want a minute and thirty seconds

I almost do that. Instead, I sometimes find a number close to the recommended time that I'm superstitious about - for example, 42 - and use that one instead. I'll even use 1:42 sometimes.

And regarding stairs - I take most stairs by two, and it ALWAYS irritates me when there's an odd number of stairs in the staircase. It's not so bad when there's a landing (which there usually is at my school), but nevertheless I have to decide each time with which step I'm going to take just one stair instead of two.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

Wow, I'm really not some freak of nature. It's so cool to know there are others with the tiled floor thing. I've stopped looking at my feet at school, so I don't do it there, but generally my rules are (In order of importance):
1) Don't step on a crack (I love my mama)
2) if it's a checkerboard floor, step on the white tiles
3) if the floor is arranged
step on the less common one
4) if someone points it out, make a new set of rules

also, anyone else try and stay ahead of the light on the floor? You know, when a fluorescent light reflects on linoleum and you can't get ahead of it? I hate that.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

jon787

Postby jon787 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

Ah the good old michigan left U-turn lane :)

I've seen an intersection with a long enough red light that the described manuever is the fastest way across the intersection.

I'm gonna be sad when I move somewhere that doesn't have these.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:13 pm UTC

wisnij wrote:I also count things in such a way that they have to add up to 10 or a multiple of 10. It's weird because it's okay if I "cheat" as long as I can justify it to myself... like, I'll count the letters on a poster and if there are 19, I'll count all the spaces inside letters like A and R together as one to make 20 total.

I used to do that, with 3 and 9 (3 groups of 3). I've long since stopped for the most part, I have more important things to idly ponder these days. Same thing with walking patterns. Though I'm a long-distance runner, and I have always breathed in rhythm with my footsteps; I used to always have 3 steps per breathing cycle, but I've increased it over time, to 4, then 5 (after I realized I was always hitting my left foot at the start of a breath, which meant an asymmetric load on my legs, which was probably not good for them), and now I use 7 for slower runs. If I'm going to fast to use 3 I can't keep my balance for very long anyway. However, I've never fallen into breathing rhythms while cycling (probably because I only started cycling seriously more recently).

Among my friends I know some that do things like that and others that don't get it at all; I'm one of the few that doesn't do 'em anymore that understands.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

Your.Master

Postby Your.Master » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:14 pm UTC

I've been tempted to register before -- for instance, on the car turn signal indicator synchronization comic (do it all the time, have never seen synchronization even on the same model of vehicle) -- but this forced my hand. So awesome.

I do 1, 2, and 4 regularly, and have once done something similar to 3. Well, 2 isn't exactly regular (I hate driving), but I make up for it by doing the pedestrian equivalent all the time. Even though I think I usually lose seconds on that, but I'd rather not stop moving.

I also do LE4dGOLEM's neurotic scrolling so the page doesn't have a full line. In fact, if I can swing it, I prefer it not to even be in the middle of a paragraph. A widescreen monitor helps with that end.

4, I honestly believed I was the only one still doing that. I have to force myself not to instinctively do that some of the time. Knight's moves rarely play into it, though. The pattern is usually more complex, and involves multiples of the numbers 4 and 5 while avoiding multiples of 2 that are not also multiples of 4, and ESPECIALLY multiples of 6. Also, if there are multiple colours, then at least one colour is not to be stepped on (usually white).

I will jump great distances in public to avoid stepping on illegal cracks.

StuMo

Postby StuMo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

Right outside pocket: Pen, calculator.
Left outside pocket: Wallet, bus pass, other plastic cardlike things, telephone.
Left inside pocket: Papery things.
Right inside pocket: I put keys sometimes but I prefer having them in the bag to having them in the pocket.

Yes, I do number 4. Yes, I always suspected that no one ever did that except me. I always assumed it was the autism, but now I see that everyone does it.

My character set is neurotic - my ones have serifs so they don't look like lowercase L's, my sevens have a horizontal bar to distinguish them from my seriffed number ones, my Z's have the same horizontal bar to distinguish them from twos, and weirdest of all (probably), my lowercase K's look nothing like an uppercase K:

Code: Select all

|
|/_
so that I may tell the difference between kilos and kelvins.

ohki

Postby ohki » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:06 pm UTC

Why do so many of you group keys and phone. That's how cell phones get scratched. Thats why they must be grouped with non metallic objects like wallets, receipts, and loose bills D:

StuMo wrote:My character set is neurotic - my ones have serifs so they don't look like lowercase L's, my sevens have a horizontal bar to distinguish them from my seriffed number ones, my Z's have the same horizontal bar to distinguish them from twos, and weirdest of all (probably), my lowercase K's look nothing like an uppercase K:

Code: Select all

|
|/_
so that I may tell the difference between kilos and kelvins.

I do all of these except the K's and 1's. For lower L's I tend to do script. Also, t's must curve right at the bottom to distinguish from +'s
But it raining and me peeing on your foot are NOT mutually exclusive.
"Isn't arrogance measured in nano-Dijkstra's?"- Alan Kay

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:13 pm UTC

jon787 wrote:I've seen an intersection with a long enough red light that the described manuever is the fastest way across the intersection.

The difficulty is that if you perform the manuever you risk a much, much longer wait. I can, however, think of a few places that this would be very useful here in Teh Valley, where ridiculous 8-lane surface streets that hog green-light time are common. Unfortunately, though U-turns are frequently legal in California, there aren't usually good places to do them that soon after an intersection on a very large street.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:10 am UTC

Handbag: Absolutely everything. :D

I do 2 all the time, and 4 pretty often.

ptveite

Postby ptveite » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:06 am UTC

jon787 wrote:Ah the good old michigan left U-turn lane :)

I've seen an intersection with a long enough red light that the described manuever is the fastest way across the intersection.

I'm gonna be sad when I move somewhere that doesn't have these.

I do that on normal roads sometimes, i wanted to mention it earlier, but was too lazy to draw a picture.

PotatoEngineer

Postby PotatoEngineer » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:07 am UTC

I've got it! xkcd is fnord!

xnull

Postby xnull » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:12 am UTC

When I get a license, #1 will not apply to me; I want to get a tank. Sure they are gas-guzzlers, but I think I can save gas by taking shorter routes, and the shortest distance between any two points is a straight line.
This statement is false.

thefiddler
The Fora's Prophetess

Postby thefiddler » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:34 am UTC

I do two... sometimes.

But four... wow. I've done that since, I think, third grade. Our school used to have these crazy multi-coloured tiles. And it was fun hopping around them. Except when you were in a hurry. I loved it.

And the mouse thing. I totally do that too. Is EVERYBODY on here this... strange? Or are we just the weirdest of the weird?

You guys make me feel so much better about my small bits of craziness.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”