0306: "Orphaned Projects"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ShadowLurker
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 3:41 am UTC

0306: "Orphaned Projects"

Postby ShadowLurker » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:10 am UTC

Image

Alt-text: His date works for Red Hat, who hired a coach for her, too. He advised her to 'rent lots of movies like Hitch. Guys love those.'

LOL! I really like this one.

The mirror is pretty strangely drawn

btw, man are people getting slow at posting these

User avatar
Locus Cosecant
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:47 pm UTC

Postby Locus Cosecant » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:29 am UTC

That's a mirror? I thought it was, like, a giant old-style lightbulb.

I did not question what a giant old-style lightbulb would be doing there, naturally.

User avatar
UserGoogol
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:58 am UTC

Postby UserGoogol » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:31 am UTC

Of course, you have to be careful to not go too far with things like this. Just look at Reiser4.

TwilightWonder
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:31 am UTC

Postby TwilightWonder » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:31 am UTC

I had no clue what that was. Now that you said mirror though, I definitely see a mirror.

humanoftheforest
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:50 pm UTC
Location: St. Louis

Postby humanoftheforest » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:35 am UTC

My first thought was surfboard... which would make for way too much awesomeness for a first date.

User avatar
voodooKobra
You just....
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:34 am UTC
Contact:

Postby voodooKobra » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:36 am UTC

Heh heh. That sounds like something my f(r)iends would do.
If you need to reach me, email kobrasrealm@gmail.com

in b4 spam

Kobra's Corner - My horribly-written opinions that aren't worth reading. Seriously; you're better off reading Nietzsche translated into myspace user lingo.

User avatar
Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!
Posts: 11265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 9:16 pm UTC
Location: Prince George In A Can
Contact:

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:38 am UTC

Oh, it's a mirror! I thought it was some sort of free-standing sex-toy.... chicks LOVE those.

Herman
Posts: 559
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 2:46 am UTC

Postby Herman » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:39 am UTC

This explains a lot.

*Starts calling my AP teachers from high school*

User avatar
Wired
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:16 am UTC
Location: Hither or thither
Contact:

Postby Wired » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:54 am UTC

Anyone who has been hired out to break a couple up like this, say "aye".

Aye.
:/
Image

SirOmega
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:16 pm UTC
Location: Bright light city gonna set my soul, gonna set my soul on fire...

Postby SirOmega » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:06 am UTC

WTF? Developers can have dates?

I haven't had a date in three years. On the plus side, I have no orphaned projects! Other than the ones users decided to not use. Their loss.

User avatar
ysth
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Postby ysth » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:08 am UTC

Locus Cosecant wrote:That's a mirror? I thought it was, like, a giant old-style lightbulb.

Cactus, anyone?

User avatar
e946
Posts: 621
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:32 am UTC

Postby e946 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:13 am UTC

I thought it was a portal or something.

User avatar
armorsmith42
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:20 am UTC
Location: London
Contact:

Postby armorsmith42 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:22 am UTC

I found that movie entertaining at first, then incredibly depressing? Particularly the part where he days, "basic principles: there are none."

Oh, and that's definitely the portal to the secret cow level. The question is, where did he get Wirt's leg?

User avatar
OneLess
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:10 am UTC

Postby OneLess » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:27 am UTC

Criticism shouldn't be a staple of date conversation? Next we'll be told not to talk about cephalopod embryology...
“Observation: Couldn’t see a thing. Conclusion: Dinosaurs.” –Carl Sagan

Last edited by OneLess on Sat Dec 17, 3003 10:35 am, edited 0 time in total.

User avatar
Mat Cauthon
Doctor Baron
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:12 am UTC

Postby Mat Cauthon » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:38 am UTC

ysth wrote:
Locus Cosecant wrote:That's a mirror? I thought it was, like, a giant old-style lightbulb.

Cactus, anyone?


Seconded.

Also, I need to get involved in some big open-source project so I have an excuse for never getting dates.
mootinator wrote:No, assembly is difficult to read even if you do understand it.

Turns out a PC has more registers than my brain.

User avatar
Darcey
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 9:47 pm UTC
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Postby Darcey » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:51 am UTC

e946 wrote:I thought it was a portal or something.


That would be really cool. Getting ready for a date: shower, dress, check a mirror, step through the portal.

I have not been on an actual date since I was 14. Now I just go over to people's houses. For some reason the whole 'date' thing just doesn't appeal to me. I don't want to go out to dinner with someone, and I definitely don't want to go to a movie in a theatre (too paranoid to be in a dark place with hundreds of strangers). And there's all the social expectations to live up to, and I have absolutely no idea what to do if I'm on a date. =X Long walks on deserted beaches ftw, though.

User avatar
clock
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

Postby clock » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:02 am UTC

Darcey wrote:<snip>
And there's all the social expectations to live up to, and I have absolutely no idea what to do if I'm on a date. =X Long walks on deserted beaches ftw, though.

<insertjokeaboutbringingatent>

photosinensis
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:17 am UTC

Postby photosinensis » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:22 am UTC

Oh, Debian, never change.

User avatar
Darcey
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 9:47 pm UTC
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Postby Darcey » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:40 am UTC

clock wrote:
Darcey wrote:<snip>
And there's all the social expectations to live up to, and I have absolutely no idea what to do if I'm on a date. =X Long walks on deserted beaches ftw, though.

<insertjokeaboutbringingatent>


*glares at people who complain about their feet hurting*

fnordulicious
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:09 am UTC
Location: Honolulu, Hawai'i
Contact:

Postby fnordulicious » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:44 am UTC

I feel bad that I’ve actually done this.
There are two kinds of people in this world, those who can infer from incomplete data, and

dreamcatcher
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

Postby dreamcatcher » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:11 am UTC

It's sad that this is mostly true. Romance in a developers life leads to an increase in the number of orphaned projects on SourceForge.

I'm trying hard to not to become an example of this comic, but even now, I have 1 active, 2 orphaned projects. *sigh*

User avatar
Darcey
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 9:47 pm UTC
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Postby Darcey » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:17 am UTC

I have a number of novels that I haven't finished due to an increased social life. They lurk in files on my computer and come up in Google Desktop searches to haunt me! They're all like "You like that cute boy more than you like me, don't you? Well, I'll guilt trip you 'til you're sorry you laid eyes on him!"

I swear I'm going to finish them eventually.

User avatar
Nimz
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 am UTC
Location: the origin

Postby Nimz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:43 am UTC

Darcey wrote:I have a number of novels that I haven't finished due to an increased social life. They lurk in files on my computer and come up in Google Desktop searches to haunt me! They're all like "You like that cute boy more than you like me, don't you? Well, I'll guilt trip you 'til you're sorry you laid eyes on him!"

I swear I'm going to finish them eventually.
Finish them... ala Mortal Kombat?
LOWA

User avatar
Arancaytar
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:54 am UTC
Location: 52.44°N, 13.55°E
Contact:

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:57 am UTC

So... she develops for Red Hat, he for Debian? They could have saved money on those coaches, it probably wouldn't have worked out anyway. :lol:

(Although who can be sure. I am imagining a conversation where the chief icebreaker is the line "it's not Windows".)

In any case, if both had coaches, couldn't they be smart enough to figure out the sabotage?
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.
Image

po2141
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:55 pm UTC

Postby po2141 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:06 am UTC

Not being that deep into computers/programming, I initially thought that "red hat" was the guys coach dude so I was, like, the girl works for the anti-coach and has her own coach, this guy has no chance!

Then I figured that "red hat" must be some other kind of "orphaned project" of the computering kind (which, btw, I am assuming is aproject that is taking a very long time or is never finished or that loads of staff have left, or something along those lines...)

Its fun to have to re-construct the joke based on the most likey explanations and how funny they are. I wonder how many of them I think I get, but actually I'm thinking of something totally different. Maybe everybody does it. ALL the time!! think about that!

User avatar
Lil'Bondy
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:15 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby Lil'Bondy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:09 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:In any case, if both had coaches, couldn't they be smart enough to figure out the sabotage?


Well, there is always the chance that their combined social awkwardness due to this could actually calm the situation... that would be a pretty bad (or good) outcome.
So I 'meow' a lot... Get used to it!

User avatar
Taejo
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:00 am UTC

Postby Taejo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:39 am UTC

Détente
Indiscreet Mathematics, a comic about maths

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:11 pm UTC

Postby TheKhakinator » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:58 am UTC

Darcey wrote:I have not been on an actual date since I was 14. Now I just go over to people's houses. For some reason the whole 'date' thing just doesn't appeal to me. I don't want to go out to dinner with someone, and I definitely don't want to go to a movie in a theatre (too paranoid to be in a dark place with hundreds of strangers). And there's all the social expectations to live up to, and I have absolutely no idea what to do if I'm on a date. =X Long walks on deserted beaches ftw, though.

I'm big on just hanging out and doing random stuff. I don't like the whole do-something-specific idea either.

User avatar
Darcey
Posts: 188
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 9:47 pm UTC
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Postby Darcey » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:02 am UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:
Darcey wrote:I have not been on an actual date since I was 14. Now I just go over to people's houses. For some reason the whole 'date' thing just doesn't appeal to me. I don't want to go out to dinner with someone, and I definitely don't want to go to a movie in a theatre (too paranoid to be in a dark place with hundreds of strangers). And there's all the social expectations to live up to, and I have absolutely no idea what to do if I'm on a date. =X Long walks on deserted beaches ftw, though.

I'm big on just hanging out and doing random stuff. I don't like the whole do-something-specific idea either.


We should hang out sometime!

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:11 pm UTC

Postby TheKhakinator » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:11 am UTC

Totally! Next time we're within 500 miles of each other! Stupid oceans getting in the way and all. :P

User avatar
Trella
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:50 pm UTC

Postby Trella » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:19 am UTC

Just because you don't go to dinner and a movie doesn't mean it's not a "date."

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex
Posts: 825
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:58 pm UTC

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:26 am UTC

Actually I don't think I've ever been on a date with someone who I haven't known for a while previously. I'd rather know that the person I'm buying [or at least offering to pay for] dinner and/or movie for is worth it.

User avatar
xyzzy
Meta-Titled
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:02 pm UTC
Location: Colossal Cave
Contact:

Postby xyzzy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:33 am UTC

po2141 wrote:Not being that deep into computers/programming, I initially thought that "red hat" was the guys coach dude so I was, like, the girl works for the anti-coach and has her own coach, this guy has no chance!

Then I figured that "red hat" must be some other kind of "orphaned project" of the computering kind (which, btw, I am assuming is aproject that is taking a very long time or is never finished or that loads of staff have left, or something along those lines...)

Its fun to have to re-construct the joke based on the most likey explanations and how funny they are. I wonder how many of them I think I get, but actually I'm thinking of something totally different. Maybe everybody does it. ALL the time!! think about that!


Debian is one of the main distributions of Linux, with a rather particular philosophy. It's about freedom.

Red Hat is another main distribution of Linux. However, it focuses on supporting the enterprise.

And an orphaned project is one where the primary developer/developers have stopped updating and working on it.

Now go reread it.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

User avatar
bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢
Posts: 3137
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: The Twilight Zone
Contact:

Postby bbctol » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:10 pm UTC

I expect that, if I ever go on a date, my main topic of conversation will indeed be constructive criticism.

Perhaps this is why don't go on dates.

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:11 pm UTC

Postby TheKhakinator » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:23 pm UTC

Trella wrote:Just because you don't go to dinner and a movie doesn't mean it's not a "date."

I think we both meant that it doesn't fit the generally accepted social definition of "date". And if someone went to hang out with their girlfriend, I wouldn't call it a date, I'd call it someone hanging out with their girlfriend.

mmcmonster
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:58 am UTC

Postby mmcmonster » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:30 pm UTC

I thought that thing next to him was a time portal. As in, the Debian project is running late. Let's go back in time and make sure he doesn't have a girlfriend wasting his time.

User avatar
bookishbunny
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:24 pm UTC
Location: Lost in the Doll's House
Contact:

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:53 pm UTC

I just sent this to the guy I met last night. We were having a great conversation, and he walked me to my car, and then, somehow, thought bragging about his sexual prowess would be a good idea. I think it was that last vodka beverage he had. After seeing my reaction, he admitted that he probably totally creeped me out with that. Ah, well. They guy is so adorable, he'll get a second chance. And I have something to tease him about this weekend. :D

So I guess there's only one conclusion to jump to: If a guy is a great first date, he is obviously not very highly valued at work.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

User avatar
Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist
Posts: 3446
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

I thought Hitch was pretty funny actually. Better than the other movies I saw Will smith in anyway... (MIB 1 & 2 ... like some random action movie with the largest amount of HHGTTG that could still not make it very funny)
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

User avatar
Sprocket
Seymour
Posts: 5951
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:04 pm UTC
Location: impaled on Beck's boney hips.
Contact:

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

Now see, I don't think Hitch would actually qualify as a chick flick....I haven't seen it, but it looked like it was actually trying to appeal to males.

bookishbunny wrote:I just sent this to the guy I met last night. We were having a great conversation, and he walked me to my car, and then, somehow, thought bragging about his sexual prowess would be a good idea. I think it was that last vodka beverage he had. After seeing my reaction, he admitted that he probably totally creeped me out with that. Ah, well. They guy is so adorable, he'll get a second chance. And I have something to tease him about this weekend. :D

So I guess there's only one conclusion to jump to: If a guy is a great first date, he is obviously not very highly valued at work.


Sounds like a friend of mine.... I think more likely that if a guy is akward enough of a first date, and doesn't always say the right thing, there's a chance he's genuine and not begging to finaegle his way into your pants... not in the case you're refering too ofcourse. Guys who think stuff like that will impress a woman...well...they need to get into a bo fight with Rafiki.

But I've never had a relationship that started with a date, unless you count my friend Christopher, but that was an unusually successful date. We met just after noon (we had been talking on line on an off for a few months) and he left my apartment at 2am. No, nothing happened, we were just talking. Honestly that's the key right there, if a guy can keep me engaged in conversation for several hours on end, that's definite potential. Most of my relationships have begun with friends who keep me up really late talking, and then eventually we kiss. Of coruse there also has to be an attraction. Chirstopher and I didn't become an "item" (god I hate relationship-speak) until two weeks later or something, because I conceede to beggining and a guy being awesome. I'm a fool. A FOOOOOL!
Last edited by Sprocket on Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:11 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

User avatar
bookishbunny
Posts: 1509
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:24 pm UTC
Location: Lost in the Doll's House
Contact:

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:03 pm UTC

I've seen it with a couple of guys (at different times), and they really liked it. It also appealed to the chick-flick audience. But I hate CF's and I loved Hitch. So, there. Draw what conclusions you may.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acunning40, Google [Bot], mscha and 100 guests