0306: "Orphaned Projects"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

the Siliconopolitan

Postby the Siliconopolitan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:34 pm UTC

OneLess wrote:Criticism shouldn't be a staple of date conversation? Next we'll be told not to talk about cephalopod embryology...

PZ?!

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:47 pm UTC

Other tips from the evil relationship coach:

1. Never look her in the eyes
2. Avoid physical contact at all costs
3. Never accept defeat, no matter what you are doing, whether it's arguing about religion or Rock Paper Scissors
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Eldan

Postby Eldan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:53 pm UTC

Tell her about your last girlfriend and that you need her to forget the last one.
Talk about cephalopod embryology. (If a woman isn't interested in that, well... I as a biologist would be screwed :wink: )

Leliel

Postby Leliel » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:00 pm UTC

whoa! Reference to a movie I've actually seen??

And interestingly enough, watching that was his idea actually -it was cute, but I'd probably personally consider it a chick flick and doubt I'll watch it again. *shrug*

Loved the comic, btw, had to struggle not to giggle too loudly else my coworker in the neighboring cube might hear... :P

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:02 pm UTC

Impress her with your encyclopedic knowledge of [insert MMORPG of your choice].

Leliel

Postby Leliel » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:03 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:Impress her with your encyclopedic knowledge of [insert MMORPG of your choice].

Sadly enough, that'd probably work on me.

Unforgiven

Postby Unforgiven » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:07 pm UTC

Leliel wrote:
hendusoone wrote:Impress her with your encyclopedic knowledge of [insert MMORPG of your choice].

Sadly enough, that'd probably work on me.

Sadly enough, my knowledge of MMORPGs is limited to the fact that in Ultima Online it's possible to hide perfectly while standing in the middle of a room, on a horse. And I only know that because I saw my brother do it many times.

I don't even have that to go on. :roll:
"Now we're at the museum. Do you think they'll have DDR in there too?"
"It's Japan. Of course they will."

po2141

Postby po2141 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:07 pm UTC

space_raptor wrote:Other tips from the evil relationship coach:

1. Never look her in the eyes
2. Avoid physical contact at all costs
3. Never accept defeat, no matter what you are doing, whether it's arguing about religion or Rock Paper Scissors

The opposite of these would also have the same effect:

1.Never EVER break eye contact, even when she is looking away.
2.Take every oppertunity to maintain physical contact, even if it means moving some distance, or running.
3.Always concede defeat immediately, no matter what. "Your name is Donna? So is mine. That is also my birthday.I love everything you love. Unless you don't want me to.Thats alright i wouldn't date me either."

xyzzy wrote:Now go reread it.

I think my approximation was good enough. For the record, what a bad ass-comic!!

kirkjerk

Postby kirkjerk » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:30 pm UTC

Geez, yet another "xkcd writes what I was thinking".

I had kind of mentally plotted out the setup for a story where an employer purposefully sabotages his employee's lovelife to keep him unhappy and at work.
http://kisrael.com/ - quotes and links daily

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:48 pm UTC

kirkjerk wrote:Geez, yet another "xkcd writes what I was thinking".

I had kind of mentally plotted out the setup for a story where an employer purposefully sabotages his employee's lovelife to keep him unhappy and at work.
More proof that Mr. Munroe is human...hmmmm!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

This sounds suspiciously similar to the kind of advice Dogbert gives Dilbert.

(links not found)
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

jerico2day

Postby jerico2day » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:17 pm UTC

You mean like this sage dating advice?

frozendevil

Postby frozendevil » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

Oh man, this is especially funny because just a few days ago I read The Most Excellent and Lamentable Tragedy of Richard Stallman.

I, too, thought the mirror was a portal.

oxoiron

Postby oxoiron » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

jerico2day wrote:You mean like this sage dating advice?

Along those lines, but from about ten years earlier. Dogbert has Dilbert practicing his sneezes in front of a mirror to make them seem more natural. Dilbert comments that everyone else appears to make it seem natural, effortlessly.
"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect)."-- Mark Twain
"There is not more dedicated criminal than a group of children."--addams

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:57 pm UTC

I really like the way the guy's straigtening his tie.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:I really like the way the guy's straigtening his tie.

Kind of looks like he's choking himself... which some people would claim is the whole point of ties.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

frozendevil wrote:Oh man, this is especially funny because just a few days ago I read The Most Excellent and Lamentable Tragedy of Richard Stallman.
Wow. That is most excellent.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Simetrical

Postby Simetrical » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:17 pm UTC

I'm disgusted with xkcd and its readership. Only the second page before someone points out the implausibility of Debian putting "Debian Linux HQ" on their door? Surely everyone knows that Debian is the only major Linux distribution to agree with Stallman and the FSF that the operating system should be called "GNU/Linux".

All previous posters in this thread are instructed to immediately read the Wikipedia article on the GNU/Linux naming controversy. And every page it links to. And every page that links to it. It's for your own good!

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:19 pm UTC

"I would, really, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Devilsaur

Postby Devilsaur » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:30 pm UTC

Other surefire conversation topics:
- The struggles you have to face in the next MMORPG update patch
- Your thoughts on various open source distributions and their limitations (be sure to demand your date to read up on it!)
- If you are out of topics, talk about the last thing you did that elicited a 'QFT' or 'LOL'.

Things to avoid:
- Being nice to servers and employees. You have to show who's in charge.
- Gussying up. You want to be natural, and the natural you is unshowered and unshaven!
- Not hassling or bragging. Your date will be impressed when you save $0.50 after haggling over a coupon.

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

You know, I'm a guy and I actually enjoyed Hitch. Kind of. I don't really like romantic comedies usually, but it was good as far as the genre goes.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

kaiden11

Postby kaiden11 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:37 pm UTC

I like this one, particularly for the fun Montague/Capulet scenario that would play out as a result. Or maybe Jets/Sharks. I can't decide what would be more fun: developer wars in verse, or in song?

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:13 pm UTC

the Siliconopolitan wrote:
OneLess wrote:Criticism shouldn't be a staple of date conversation? Next we'll be told not to talk about cephalopod embryology...

PZ?!

No, but it's now apparent that I read his blog waaaay too much :D
“Observation: Couldn’t see a thing. Conclusion: Dinosaurs.” –Carl Sagan

Last edited by OneLess on Sat Dec 17, 3003 10:35 am, edited 0 time in total.

frozendevil

Postby frozendevil » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:32 pm UTC

Simetrical wrote:I'm disgusted with xkcd and its readership. … Surely everyone knows that Debian is the only major Linux distribution to agree with Stallman and the FSF that the operating system should be called "GNU/Linux".

blah blah blah

The "GNU/Linux" proposal is an abomination to sane naming practices everywhere. No one calls Coke "plastic bottle/coke/carbonated water".

On the other hand, debating the merits of that convention would be a surefire way to send most any date south.

Simetrical

Postby Simetrical » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:44 pm UTC

It is a fact that in a typical Linux distribution, more lines of code are written by GNU than by any other organization. The problem is that "GNU" is potentially ambiguous (they're still trying to build Hurd . . . one day), and nobody would understand what you're talking about. "GNU/Linux" tries to address those points, but is way too clunky.

I certainly don't know of any other OS that's referred to by the name of its kernel, that's for sure. Then again, most OSes are more unified than Linux. If there were only one Linux distribution, we could just call it the Ubuntu or Debian or Red Hat or Fedora Core or CentOS or SUSE or Knoppix or whatever operating system. But we have to pick one or more components that tie it all together, instead, across all distributions.

Really, IMO, the most distinctive component of the operating system is in fact the kernel. Things would run pretty much just as they otherwise would if GNU utilities were swapped out for the original UNIX ones, or BSD utilities, or whatever, slightly modified to work with the kernel. You'd lose a couple of extra features, that's about it. But the kernel makes it distinctly different as far as programming goes, which in turns affects availability of programs and general user experience. If you say "works on Linux" it may well work on any distribution of Linux, it will probably work on Linux using BSD utilities or whatever, but it's definitely not going to work on GNU/Hurd (whenever that's finished).

So in summary, screw Stallman. (And I note that Firefox's spell-checker seems to recognize "Linus" but not "Stallman". POLITICAL STATEMENT?)

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

Simetrical wrote:It is a fact that in a typical Linux distribution, more lines of code are written by GNU than by any other organization. The problem is that "GNU" is potentially ambiguous (they're still trying to build Hurd . . . one day), and nobody would understand what you're talking about. "GNU/Linux" tries to address those points, but is way too clunky.

That's in a typical distro though. Do all distros have a uniting factor, besides the use of the Linux kernel?

Personally, I tell people that I run Ubuntu on my desktop, and Debian on my server. It's only when their eyes glaze over that I say I run Linux.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:29 pm UTC

Simetrical wrote:I'm disgusted with xkcd and its readership. Only the second page before someone points out the implausibility of Debian putting "Debian Linux HQ" on their door? Surely everyone knows that Debian is the only major Linux distribution to agree with Stallman and the FSF that the operating system should be called "GNU/Linux".

Belial wrote:"I would, really, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."
I must hug you now. WHy are so many geeks such incredibly arrogant loosers? "I have no self-worth outside of these little things that I put too much stock in, and must make myself feel great by putting you down for being so foolish as to not be aware of them."

...and.....::hug::

OH, he's a New Yorker too, that REALLY explains it.

zenten

Postby zenten » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:34 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:
Simetrical wrote:I'm disgusted with xkcd and its readership. Only the second page before someone points out the implausibility of Debian putting "Debian Linux HQ" on their door? Surely everyone knows that Debian is the only major Linux distribution to agree with Stallman and the FSF that the operating system should be called "GNU/Linux".

Belial wrote:"I would, really, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."
I must hug you now. WHy are so many geeks such incredibly arrogant loosers? "I have no self-worth outside of these little things that I put too much stock in, and must make myself feel great by putting you down for being so foolish as to not be aware of them."

...and.....::hug::

OH, he's a New Yorker too, that REALLY explains it.

I got the impression the comment was tongue in cheek.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:56 pm UTC

^^^Moi, aussi.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

orangeperson

Postby orangeperson » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:12 pm UTC

I thought the mirror was a grave.

I thought the comic was funny,
spjork.

UserGoogol

Postby UserGoogol » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:37 pm UTC

Leliel wrote:whoa! Reference to a movie I've actually seen??

Are you implying that you've seen Hitch but not Star Wars? Blasphemer.

eddyk68

Date Sabotage

Postby eddyk68 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:53 pm UTC

I have a subset of friends that cherish nothing more than to sabotage my endeavors with women. It's not to keep my productivity high, but to keep morale and self esteem low. My favorite tactics include:
1. Stealing my phone and leaving obscene messages/texts to said women
2. Same as number 1, except hacking into my e-mail.
3. Following me to the date site, sitting at a nearby table and causing a scene (watching a friend pantomime losing his wedding ring and diving into a garbage can after it in front of us is an all time favorite)
4. Most recently, one of my friends put motion-activated red and blue blinking lights on the valves of my tires. I couldn't see them from inside my car, but the Glamozonian Princess I went out with last week drove separately and I thought she gave me a strange look as I drove past her on my way home, although oblivious to my own blinkiness (blinkocity?)... I haven't heard from her since.
Sigh. It seemed like a good idea at the time

jhlipton

Re: Date Sabotage

Postby jhlipton » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:23 am UTC

eddyk68 wrote:I have a subset of friends that cherish nothing more than to sabotage my endeavors with women. It's not to keep my productivity high, but to keep morale and self esteem low.

And these people are your friends, why, exactly? I'd have dumped them a long time back.
Brev is the sou of wi

caliman83

Postby caliman83 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:18 am UTC

jhlipton wrote:
eddyk68 wrote:I have a subset of friends that cherish nothing more than to sabotage my endeavors with women. It's not to keep my productivity high, but to keep morale and self esteem low.

And these people are your friends, why, exactly? I'd have dumped them a long time back.

are you sure these people even like you?
Anyways, I dont think I could ever go on a first date with some one I didnt already know to some degree, but I know I wouldnt need a couch to give me bad advice id screw it up all on my own.

Wow I just relized how many girls we have on the forms.
I Dont Know

Kiirani

Postby Kiirani » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:38 am UTC

I think I thought it was some kind of rocket o.O

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:17 am UTC

Kiirani wrote:I think I thought it was some kind of rocket o.O

That would be cool too! Like, in the future, instead of picking your prom date up in a limo you pick her up in a rocket. Space prom! And it would have to take place on the moon.

RootTwo

Postby RootTwo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:13 pm UTC

I can see it now- Will Smith in a hat, is, GLITCH!

ZerothRoot

Postby ZerothRoot » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:02 pm UTC

That's what I thought too, looking back I have to wonder why I didn't question my interpretation.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:02 pm UTC

Darcey wrote:

That would be cool too! Like, in the future, instead of picking your prom date up in a limo you pick her up in a rocket. Space prom! And it would have to take place on the moon.

Y'know, it sounds glamorous but it really doesn't work out so well. Someone in the rocket always ends up trying to stick their head out of the damn spaceship for a "BEST NIGHT OF OUR LIVES" bit which causes depressurization until we closed it and kills the mood. Not to mention, it's hard to have killer music when there's no sound in space. And when you get punch you end up spilling it on yourself because you underestimated the gravity but your date thinks you peed yourself. Well, at least until she ends up doing the same thing.

Although... truth be told dancing is a lot more fun (easier to do backflips) and prom pictures on the Moon with an Earth silhouette are really pretty.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

eddyk68

Postby eddyk68 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:00 pm UTC

jhlipton wrote:And these people are your friends, why, exactly? I'd have dumped them a long time back.

Good point, but yes. Just a high prank culture in our profession.
Sigh. It seemed like a good idea at the time

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”