1237: "QR Code"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hujackus

Re: 1237: "QR Code"

Postby hujackus » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:53 pm UTC

"QUICK! Go get two nearly parallel mirrors and hold them up. Get out of way!"

Nyktos

Postby Nyktos » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:07 am UTC

katakombe wrote:Screw Apple, I want that app (and a QR scanner that can read from screen shots) in the 'droid PlayStore!
QR Droid can scan codes from your gallery. The option is hidden away in the More menu, but it's there.

zz9

Postby zz9 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:41 pm UTC

I just tried this, and it was easy.

Phone: HTC One X
View image. Press Power and Home at same time to take screen capture. Open Google Goggles and select scan image from album. Select image. Google Goggles scans QR code and gives link to web page.

CSB time. A year ago I installed a new HDD on my PC and when I tried to reinstall Windows got a blue screen and a long error code. Rather than try to write it down I just took a picture with my phone. I put the old drive back in, booted up with the original install of Windows, went to Google to search that code, unlocked my phone....
To find Google Goggles which had been open in the background had already scanned the error message, searched it and already had the link to the MS support page giving details of that error and how to fix it..
Technology scares me sometimes...

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

Better than password blocking your computer...

Once the screen saver gets deactivated, a QR code shows on the screen with the text "scan this code to continue."

If anyone actually scans the code, it leads to a pic (animated, sound... why not?) of a bunch of people pointing and laughing at them.

Set a secret key combination to turn off QR code screen.
(and block all the other key combos)

How's that?

(I just write 'em, I don't code 'em.)
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Greyjoy

Postby Greyjoy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:53 am UTC

Guys, what's the big deal about airline food? I find that when I'm on a long flight, I get hungry and really appreciate a meal with a sufficient calorie count and balanced nutritional elements to keep my body functioning at normal capacity. Am I missing the joke somehow?

ctdonath wrote:Yes, still funny.

Good grief, amazing how many people seem downright offended by this one.

Yes, people, it's funny. If you don't think it is, fine - no need to smash heads into pavement over it.

You may reread my post and try again if you'd like. Selectively quoting gives me the impression that you are deliberately misreading me, but I'll allow for the possibility that you cannot process thoughts containing more than ten words.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:34 am UTC

"..Mobile app user..."

But will it be any better if they put the same garbage into a desktop application installer?

I mean, are you still going to use that application?

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:15 am UTC

Kit. wrote:But will it be any better if they put the same garbage into a desktop application installer?

<sarcasm>Yes. It will provide a more consistent(ly horible) experience for the (l)user.</sarcasm>

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:00 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Once the screen saver gets deactivated, a QR code shows on the screen with the text "scan this code to continue."

Sounds legit. For bonus BOFH points, make sure the displayed code is constantly flipping some of its pixels. For doubleplus evil, change the text to "solve this maze starting from the center in 8 seconds"...

Also - isn't beaniescript in a captcha a bit redundant? Surely you don't mean you can actually read any of the other ones...? *squinting suspiciously* Hmmm, you sure you're not a borg...?

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:Once the screen saver gets deactivated, a QR code shows on the screen with the text "scan this code to continue."

Sounds legit. For bonus BOFH points, make sure the displayed code is constantly flipping some of its pixels. For doubleplus evil, change the text to "solve this maze starting from the center in 8 seconds"...

To describe what I was going for, I'll move to a home security analogy....
Someone wanting to get into your house, given enough time, can pick your deadbolt lock.
However, if the deadbolt lock is fake, and FEELS pickable but isn't (one solid pin, maybe), then it will take a LOT of time.
(especially if there is a real deadbolt on the other side of the door jamb and activated by a keypad under a planter)

Also on the computer app, you can include mouse lockout and 30 seconds of unlockable screen saver for every wrong attempt, which is secretly logged. Most people who would try to break into your computer would do it while you're away for a minute and they won't have time...

Wooloomooloo wrote:Also - isn't beaniescript in a captcha a bit redundant? Surely you don't mean you can actually read any of the other ones...?

You're right; they look like that anyway. That's what gave me the idea...
"i've seen these characters somewhere before, but where...?"
Remember waiting a half hour for one darkening pixel? Pepperidge Farms remembers...
Note To Blitzers:It is advisable NOT to go past page 1130 until you've seen up to frame 2900 (Geekwagon Numbering). A lot is happening, and really, you do not want to skip ahead at that point.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:30 pm UTC

NetWeasel wrote:Also on the computer app, you can include mouse lockout and 30 seconds of unlockable screen saver for every wrong attempt, which is secretly logged. Most people who would try to break into your computer would do it while you're away for a minute and they won't have time...

Actually, it's just the opposite. Most people that do try to break into your computer, do it when you are at the keyboard.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
NetWeasel wrote:Also on the computer app, you can include mouse lockout and 30 seconds of unlockable screen saver for every wrong attempt, which is secretly logged. Most people who would try to break into your computer would do it while you're away for a minute and they won't have time...

Actually, it's just the opposite. Most people that do try to break into your computer, do it when you are at the keyboard.

This might depend on several factors: do they have easy physical access to your computer? Does your computer have access to a network? Is said network publicly accessible? Is there easy physical access to the network?

If it's someone you know looking for gossip, or setting a prank physical access is more likely. If it's someone who stole or found your computer, physical access is also more likely. If someone just wants your banking data, they will probably try the remote method.

It really depends on who you leave your computer with, and who would want the data.

Although "away for a minute" seems like a horribly short period of time if the computer is not already running without password protection but that can hardly be called "breaking in"...

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

I was mainly thinking the sort of things that the Windows password login (when the screensaver shuts off) is there to prevent -- minor pranking, etc.

The unexpected QR code, with no clue how to get past it, would confuse them enough to usually stop the attempt... which would IMHO be a better deterrent than "here, guess my password."
Going back to the home security analogy, if someone wants in your house bad enough, they're getting in. The only thing you can do is make it not worth their time.

CatOfGrey

Postby CatOfGrey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:52 pm UTC

This is a modern analog for the classic PC joke: "Keyboard not recognized. Hit F1 to retry."

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:23 pm UTC

CatOfGrey wrote:modern analog for the classic PC joke: "Keyboard not recognized. Hit F1 to retry."

Unfortunately, it's not a joke. I've actually run into it less than a month ago on one of our servers.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

I used to laugh at it, but these days I understand it as "You can't continue without a keyboard and I can't detect any. Fix it and prove to me you did".

NetWeasel

Postby NetWeasel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

Klear wrote:I used to laugh at it, but these days I understand it as "You can't continue without a keyboard and I can't detect any. Fix it and prove to me you did".

Actually, it's just bad programming...
In the early startup stages (before loading the OS), you had a choice of having the computer stop on certain errors, or have it just continue and not mention them.
If you choose to have it report the errors to you on screen, it pauses, tells you the error(s) and gives you the prompt "Press F1 to continue"
Unfortunately, one of the errors it detects in this manner is "keyboard not found"

Resulting in "Keyboard not found. Press F1 to continue."

In the old days, that meant power down, fix the problem, power back up and see if you fixed it.
Because you couldn't tell it to ignore the fact there was no keyboard without a keyboard.

The RGOOMHM

Postby The RGOOMHM » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Somehow this reminds me of Threema (http://threema.ch/en/, it's like an encrypted WhatsApp): If you want to verify your peer's crypto key, you have to scan a QR code generated on the key owner's device. Comes in not so handy when your peer is a few thousand miles away...
(Feel free to start a flamewar like "it has been like this all the time since PGP signing parties", I know, I know)

speising

Postby speising » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

The RGOOMHM wrote:Somehow this reminds me of Threema (http://threema.ch/en/, it's like an encrypted WhatsApp): If you want to verify your peer's crypto key, you have to scan a QR code generated on the key owner's device. Comes in not so handy when your peer is a few thousand miles away...
(Feel free to start a flamewar like "it has been like this all the time since PGP signing parties", I know, I know)

do you know of any other way you can be sure your peer is who he claims to be, than meeting face to face?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

speising wrote:
The RGOOMHM wrote:Somehow this reminds me of Threema (http://threema.ch/en/, it's like an encrypted WhatsApp): If you want to verify your peer's crypto key, you have to scan a QR code generated on the key owner's device. Comes in not so handy when your peer is a few thousand miles away...

do you know of any other way you can be sure your peer is who he claims to be, than meeting face to face?

Do you know of any way you can be sure your peer is who he claims to be, including meeting face to face?

speising

Postby speising » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:17 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
speising wrote:

Do you know of any way you can be sure your peer is who he claims to be, including meeting face to face?

of course there has to be some trust somewhere, generally i'd be willing to believe him, or rather, the auhorities, when he shows me his passport or drivers license.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

speising wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
speising wrote:

of course there has to be some trust somewhere, generally i'd be willing to believe him, or rather, the auhorities, when he shows me his passport or drivers license.

So if some chap comes up to you in the street claiming to be me, and shows you his passport, you'd believe him? (yes, I know I'm being difficult)

The RGOOMHM

Postby The RGOOMHM » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:58 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
speising wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
speising wrote:

So if some chap comes up to you in the street claiming to be me, and shows you his passport, you'd believe him? (yes, I know I'm being difficult)

I was afraid this discussion would happen...
It's a matter of how paranoid you want (or need) to be: If the peer was a complete stranger, I couldn't even be 100% sure about his identity when meeting face-to-face and seeing his (potentially fake) passport. He might still be a man in the middle with a fake identity. In such cases, a web of trust is needed, but even this can't be 100% reliable.

Speaking for me personally , if he is someone I already know well, hearing his voice reading back the key fingerprint to me on the phone could already be sufficient to me.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:03 am UTC

The RGOOMHM wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
speising wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
speising wrote:

I was afraid this discussion would happen...
It's a matter of how paranoid you want (or need) to be: If the peer was a complete stranger, I couldn't even be 100% sure about his identity when meeting face-to-face and seeing his (potentially fake) passport. He might still be a man in the middle with a fake identity. In such cases, a web of trust is needed, but even this can't be 100% reliable.

Speaking for me personally , if he is someone I already know well, hearing his voice reading back the key fingerprint to me on the phone could already be sufficient to me.

A total strangers personal identity is not all that relevant anyway. You don't know whether to trust him whether his identity is fake or not, because you don't know whether the person associated with the identity is trustworthy to begin with. If it's your friend, and you know the person as Angela, it's not really relevant if the government calls her Pamela. Really, the whole official identity scheme is rather ridiculous... Even more so as many people seem to accept the actual holding of passport as a proof of official identity without actually verifying whether the holder matches the passport description (height and similar face mostly).

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:17 am UTC

Does this work?
qrcode.14726070.png
qrcode.14726070.png (477 Bytes) Viewed 5334 times
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:00 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Does this work?

Yes.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”