1245: "10-Day Forecast"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Sprocket
Seymour

Re: 1245: "10-Day Forecast"

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:16 am UTC

"Let's never move there."
mouse-over text: "But let's visit once a year for a week long festival with a bunch of hippies."
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

CocoaNutCakery

Postby CocoaNutCakery » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:48 am UTC

With the repeating Tuesday, I can't help but be reminded of the Static Tower.

Edit: Silly me, thinking that it would be safe to read XKCD 10 minutes before bedtime.

Xantix

Postby Xantix » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:39 am UTC

Tables wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Tables wrote:Just as a point of information but as best I understand it, the minus world is not in fact a negative number, but world [blank] - level 1, which displays as world -1. The glitch that reaches it is from trying to find level data in a place where no level data exists, not because the game is sent to a world numbered -1.
Checks. You're right, but it's still an unchecked illegal argument error. If you pulled open a hacking emulator and actually sent a negative one, I'd give 3:1 odds you'd end up with a similar, half-working, world -1 -1.

I don't doubt it, but really in that case it's still less because you've put a negative number in as it is that you're merely outside the expected range. Assuming it read -1 as 255 mind, you'd get about the most bizarre thing you could, I expect. But just to clarify, I'd agree with your initial point about negative numbers.

Actually using GameGenie you can do some interesting things on the original game. The guide book has cheat codes for starting at each of the normal worlds, so all you have to do is discover the pattern, and you can visit all of the other either 128 or 256 levels (it's been a while, but I still have the NES). Most of the levels start with Mario standing in mid-air and then falling to his death, but some worlds start you on a platform. Still, none of the others were as functional as the Minus World (blank world).

Mike Rore

Postby Mike Rore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:01 pm UTC

I thought this was a minecraft reference, where the negative zip codes meaning the zip code in the nether or something like that.

I feel like such a nerd now

:|

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:12 pm UTC

TEN day forecast? The weather dot com website can't even manage consistent predictions for three HOURS in advance. At least, not where I live, which is a mountainous region in the Appalachians, so okay, that's pretty difficult.

Even so, I have to laugh when I see weather forecasts extending 7 days into the future. Who are they kidding? Maybe it works in, say, the Sahara, or maybe in Arizona, but does anybody in a typical temperate zone ever take the 7-day forecast seriously?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:19 pm UTC

TimXCampbell wrote:TEN day forecast? The weather dot com website can't even manage consistent predictions for three HOURS in advance. At least, not where I live, which is a mountainous region in the Appalachians, so okay, that's pretty difficult.

Even so, I have to laugh when I see weather forecasts extending 7 days into the future. Who are they kidding? Maybe it works in, say, the Sahara, or maybe in Arizona, but does anybody in a typical temperate zone ever take the 7-day forecast seriously?

Here in the UK, the BBC Weather website does a 5-day forecast, with an option to look at the following 5 days - the following 5-days gives ranges for the minimum and maximum temperatures, and multiple choice for the general weather conditions that pretty much say "next week, it will be >current season<"

Himself

Postby Himself » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:36 pm UTC

TimXCampbell wrote:TEN day forecast? The weather dot com website can't even manage consistent predictions for three HOURS in advance. At least, not where I live, which is a mountainous region in the Appalachians, so okay, that's pretty difficult.

You forget, this is a negative zip code.
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile

josejuan05

Re: 1245: 10-Day Forecast

Postby josejuan05 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

uncleroy wrote:I always wanted to live in a zip code which was a prime number. I grew up in one that was a perfect square though, which is nearly as cool.
Roy

My cursory Excel work suggests that you may be more privileged than you realize - it is much less likely that a number less than 100,000 would be a perfect square than that it would be a prime. If my list of primes is correct, there are 9592 primes and 316 squares in that range. If my database of zip codes (google 'zip code database' - I don't have enough forum reputation to post links) is correct, there are 3964 US zip codes that are primes and 119 that are squares (my database contains 41859 US zip codes).

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

I'm quite happy that my zip-code equivalent has two numbers and then three zeroes.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:
TheEngineer wrote:Judging from Sunday's forecast, he typed the UK postcode DL2 3UG ... which is in Killerby, County Durham.
Well played.

I was staring at it for the longest time before I tried reading the place name...

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

Here in the UK, the BBC Weather website does a 5-day forecast, with an option to look at the following 5 days - the following 5-days gives ranges for the minimum and maximum temperatures, and multiple choice for the general weather conditions that pretty much say "next week, it will be >current season<"

Nate Silver's "The Signal And the Noise" has a great write-up of weather forecasting (how some sources sensationalize the forecast instead of going for accuracy because they get more page hits; how they'll increase the percentage likelihoods of rain because if they say there's a 30% chance of rain, most people plan as if there's not much chance at all and get angry if it does rain (but if there's a chance of rain forecast and it doesn't precipitate, people don't get as irate if it stays dry for them so some weathermen will forecast a 100% chance when there's really a 65% chance ...people hate being wet more than they hate white lies); and so on). It even has a name. Wet Bias.

And, as luck would have it, that chapter was slightly amended and printed in the New York Times as an article.

So based on how bad the short term forecasts are, it's best to just give >5 day forecasts as the forecast slowly turning to the seasonal average and adjust as the day gets nearer. People understand that the weather can change, so they accept the small shifts as just corrections to a super-accurate forecast.

TheIronyChef

Postby TheIronyChef » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Ilze123 wrote:The figure on tuesday looks a bit like Frank the Rabbit from Donnie Darko. Any other ideas?

Clearly Tim Curry begins the white noise apocalypse, after which it's Groundhog Day in Norway during winter minus electricity from then on.

Exactly as the prophecy foretold.

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:48 am UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:... as luck would have it ... that chapter was slightly amended and printed in the New York Times as an article.

Thanks for the link and all the helpful comments!

addams

Postby addams » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:31 am UTC

swsail wrote:
Mr. Cat wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
richP wrote:OK, truth time... who else tried it?
I did. Weather dot com says "Go back, friend, go back!" Slightly alarmist for a 404.

Yeah, uh, no it does not. Having just tried that, I can safely say that, in fact, weather dot com simply gives alternate possible suggestions for what you might have meant.

You get "Go back friend" if you go to a forecast page for a real zip code and then change the URL to a negative zip code (or any time you enter a nonexistent URL, it's their standard 404). You get suggestions if you enter a negative zip code in the search field. For some reason the suggestions for any negative number are Cancun, Mazatlan, and Amsterdam.

That makes perfect sense.
Those places are in a different dimension.

+zip=Real Life.
-zip=Cancun; Mazatlan; Amsterdam.

The machine Knows!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:37 am UTC

Tables wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Tables wrote:Just as a point of information but as best I understand it, the minus world is not in fact a negative number, but world [blank] - level 1, which displays as world -1. The glitch that reaches it is from trying to find level data in a place where no level data exists, not because the game is sent to a world numbered -1.
Checks. You're right, but it's still an unchecked illegal argument error. If you pulled open a hacking emulator and actually sent a negative one, I'd give 3:1 odds you'd end up with a similar, half-working, world -1 -1.

I don't doubt it, but really in that case it's still less because you've put a negative number in as it is that you're merely outside the expected range. Assuming it read -1 as 255 mind, you'd get about the most bizarre thing you could, I expect. But just to clarify, I'd agree with your initial point about negative numbers.

Anyone ever played Level 256 of the original PacMan?
Aka the Split Screen?

codemonkey

Postby codemonkey » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:12 pm UTC

Ilze123 wrote:The figure on tuesday looks a bit like Frank the Rabbit from Donnie Darko. Any other ideas?

My first thought was the creepy devil guy in Steven Wilson's "Remainder the Black Dog" video.

teenidle

Postby teenidle » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

Anyone else reminded of the ten plagues?

addams

Postby addams » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:46 am UTC

teenidle wrote:Anyone else reminded of the ten plagues?

no.
That is a good link for a quick refresher course.
That list is Not a Ray of Sunshine.

It is funny.
In a not very funny way.

What a mess. God will Get you?
not funny, God. Not funny.

#9. Darkness.
Why do you know that?

Remember Frogs?
My first time through the list I did not understand.
I liked frogs. Frogs are important. Frogs are our 'Canaries in the Mine'.

Too much of anything can be a problem.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Lyssie

Postby Lyssie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:28 am UTC

Oh, so that's what happened in #461 - they accidentally put in a negative zipcode!

I mean, it only stands to reason that you'd have to do some eldritch, mind-bending dimensional travel to get to a place with weather like that.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”