0307: "Excessive Quotation"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

0307: "Excessive Quotation"

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:08 am UTC

Tooltip: "Unfortunately for her, real Star Wars fans are attracted to a gal with a good force choke."

I love it. I've sort of felt like the strips had been getting uninteresting, but Nighttime Stories, Orphaned Projects and this one feel right back on track with the goodness that made me come here.

Also it reminds me that I wanted to caption a Vader-with-outstretched-hand picture today with "Is Darth Vader gonna have to choke a bitch?" because of a post from somewhere here on the forum.
Last edited by Bakemaster on Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Castaway
Mr. Fancy-Pants

Postby Castaway » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:09 am UTC

Some day I want to have an entire conversation in which I only quote famous people. In alphabetical order.
You've just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

Rat wrote: so i sprinted back down this hill like a fucking mountain goat

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:09 am UTC

I love how her criticism is actually a movie quote itself, even if she modified it a bit.

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:13 am UTC

It feels like the original quote looses something without the word small ("That's no small moon! Its a space station!") ..maybe I'm just anal about my quotes.

Really liked Orphaned Projects, this comic leaves me searching for a punch line that doesn't come.
Last edited by CasualSax on Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:15 am UTC

I've used the moon one before. But my crowning moment was walking into a conversation about politics where people were discussing a bill and somebody said "it will never get past the senate"

I walked in and said:

The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.â€
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:17 am UTC

PhantomReality wrote:The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.”

Everybody looked at me like I was an absolute freak but I loved every minute of it.

Subbing in 'Bush' for emperor would make that amazing. ;)

LordIllidan

Postby LordIllidan » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:22 am UTC

[quote="PhantomReality"]I've used the moon one before. But my crowning moment was walking into a conversation about politics where people were discussing a bill and somebody said "it will never get past the senate"

I walked in and said:

The Imperial Senate will no longer be of any concern to us. I've just received word that the Emperor has dissolved the council permanently. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.â€

Aero

Postby Aero » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:24 am UTC

CasualSax wrote:It feels like the original quote looses something without the word small ("That's no small moon! Its a space station!") ..maybe I'm just anal about my quotes.

Pardon me, but I believe you are wrong about your quote(s).
~ Aero

RandomPrecision

Postby RandomPrecision » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:30 am UTC

CasualSax wrote:It feels like the original quote looses something without the word small ("That's no small moon! Its a space station!") ..maybe I'm just anal about my quotes.

LUKE: Look at him. He's headed for that small moon.

HAN: I think I can get him before he gets there...he's almost in
range.

The small moon begins to take on the appearance of a
monstrous spherical battle station.

BEN: That's no moon! It's a space station.

HAN: It's too big to be a space station.

LUKE: I have a very bad feeling about this.

http://www.blueharvest.net/scoops/anh-script.shtml

Chipersoft

Postby Chipersoft » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:36 am UTC

LordIllidan wrote:I bet half of them still find the concept of a dice with more than 6 sides odd.

No more odd then your use of "dice" in the singular.

Chipersoft

Postby Chipersoft » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:38 am UTC

Oh, and Aero and Random are both correct, there is no "small" in that quote.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:41 am UTC

I always like to point at Mimas and say "That's no Death-Star!"

PhantomReality

Postby PhantomReality » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:42 am UTC

Actually come to think of it I might have said bush...I copied and pasted that to make you think that I could remember my star wars quotes perfectly..>_<

But now that you mention it I probably did sub in "bush" when I paraphrased it.
DROP ACID NOT BOMBS.

SteveMB

Postby SteveMB » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:46 am UTC

"Unfortunately for her, real Star Wars fans are attracted to a gal with a good force choke."

At least two naughty possibilities come to mind.... :wink:

vampyre459

*gack*

Postby vampyre459 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:52 am UTC

as a closet star wars fan i love it!

but i gotta say it took me a while to get it :oops:

Syphon

Postby Syphon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:54 am UTC

SteveMB wrote:"Unfortunately for her, real Star Wars fans are attracted to a gal with a good force choke."

I'd draw this, but I'd probably be banned for hot stick stick on stick mind action.

Xxpeyotedragon

Postby Xxpeyotedragon » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:23 am UTC

Dear Mr. Munroe:

Please go back to giving us stories of spiders crawling across blocks, your sketches of bizarre landscape, and surreal events.

I can find many comics that read like a comic. I can find many webcomics that make jokes about Starwars, or jokes about relationships and dating, or 4chan.

Give me math, give me surrealism, give me something you felt like sharing from your spare time when you could care less about amusing a fanbase.

I want a comic on graphpaper next week.

Uthor

Postby Uthor » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:25 am UTC

SteveMB wrote:"Unfortunately for her, real Star Wars fans are attracted to a gal with a good force choke."

Glad I'm not the only one.

Shpadoinkle

Postby Shpadoinkle » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:23 am UTC

Xxpeyotedragon wrote:Dear Mr. Munroe:

Please go back to giving us stories of spiders crawling across blocks, your sketches of bizarre landscape, and surreal events.

I can find many comics that read like a comic. I can find many webcomics that make jokes about Starwars, or jokes about relationships and dating, or 4chan.

Give me math, give me surrealism, give me something you felt like sharing from your spare time when you could care less about amusing a fanbase.

I want a comic on graphpaper next week.

I was reading the archives the other day, and I had pretty much the same thought. What I got is that the early comics were basically just stuff he doodled in his spare time, or when he was bored, or what he thought was funny, even if nobody else got it. They were personal. Lately, it seems, the comics, while still good, are different. More generic-feeling. More like they're comics aimed at the lowest common denominator of nerds, instead of a personal reflection of the what the author likes.

I've read several webcomics, and almost every time, I've liked the earlier strips more than the most recent ones. There's just a certain personal touch to the comics at that stage, still rough, but good nevertheless. Once the author gets a feel for his style, and smooths it out, and sands off all the rough edges, it's still unique, and still personal, but there are few people who continue to experiment once they reach that plateau. One of the very few I've read that retain the rough, unpolished feel that I like, is 1/0.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:42 am UTC

I find the lack of original jokes in this comic disturbing.

XKCD seems to have been slacking for a while now. While there have been good ones like Blue Shells, Goto and Nighttime reading, I can't say that I found the rest of them of the quality you could find before, say, the Choices saga. Before that, I knew that every monday, wednesday and friday, I could visit XKCD and find something that'd make me laugh out loud. Nowadays.. the occasional chuckle.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:09 am UTC

dear, dear, how quickly we become jaded internet people. i, for one, liked this one.

also what's with all the 'there's been no good ones recently, apart from all these recent ones that were good', confirmation bias much?
    in ur beanz makin u eveel

caliman83

Postby caliman83 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:25 am UTC

Wile its true the comics have changed i still find the newer ones entertaining. I like this one, Its nice to hear a star wars quote that dosnt include the I am your father quote, that one is very over used.
    I Dont Know

Postby 6453893 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:09 am UTC

I have to agree with Xxpeyotedragon.

I count on XKCD to make jokes about ∆t, and πx^π-1, and using Graham's Number in telemarketing situations.

There are a bazillion pop-culture centered comics already.

miles01110

Postby miles01110 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:50 am UTC

Hah, today is a Star Wars-themed day I suppose.

http://digg.com/space/Yes_this_really_is_a_Moon_pic

Read the comments :-) Except for the one where the guy gets the quote wrong :-(

almosthonest

Postby almosthonest » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:50 am UTC

I've noticed that when good things are criticised, only the discontent minority speak up, whilst the silent majority assume that the creator already knows they are appreciated. That may not be the case here, but for what it's worth:

I never dislike xkcd, but this was the first comic in a long while to really make me laugh. Timing, references, cleverness - awesome. And - with tongue firmly in cheek - this is only a "pop reference" to us! If I try that comic on my office in general, I will get maybe two comprehending it out of forty. It only seems somewhat "done already" in a readership like this one.

(Also noted: t'internets make criticism sound harsher than it really is. Hence: :-) :-) :-) )

Sufimoru

Postby Sufimoru » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:55 am UTC

I personally feel this one in particular is reusing the "Monty Python-- Enough" joke, with less surrealism and more violence.

I also will admit that I thought the graph paper comics had a certain charm about them, perhaps simply because they were on graph paper.

I still enjoy xkcd, but this has been one of the few comics that didn't really do it for me. Probably because "Monty Python-- Enough" is my favorite xkcd because it's a rallying cry against verbatim MP quotes, while "Excessive Quotation" counters them with an almost verbatim quote from the same source. Fight fire with water, not fire.

bbctol
    Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:58 am UTC

While the comics have slightly decreased in value, I will admit, they're still damn funny. As is this one.

Teifion

Postby Teifion » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:20 pm UTC

I still very much like the comics and don't feel they've been "going downhill" at all. Granted I prefer some comics over others but in no way feel the quality is getting worse.

Domovoi

Postby Domovoi » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:32 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:also what's with all the 'there's been no good ones recently, apart from all these recent ones that were good', confirmation bias much?

I find your lack of logic disturbing.

Problems with opposing opinion much?

carlodrum

Postby carlodrum » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:33 pm UTC

My crowning achievement in this category came from a discussion about halloween costumes. My 5'5"-ish female friend was wondering what kind of Star Wars costumes were available for women.

Me: "You're pretty much stuck with Princess Leia. You should buy a gold, metal bikini."

Her: "I could be a storm trooper I guess."

Me: "Aren't you a little short to be a storm trooper?"

Sprocket
    Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:39 pm UTC

Again, I must talk about the art. I love the way he used the blue background color instead of the usual stark white (as opposed to a perfect egg shell white...I really need to actually SEE ALL of American Psycho sometime)
    "She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
    Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:55 pm UTC

I like xkcd. It rivals Calvin and Hobbes for me. I don't bring any expectations to the table (not that I bring much to the table anyways) and I find it allows me to enjoy the comic more, lowest common denominator or not. So pfft.

Some people take their internet comics pretty seriously, I guess.

I remember playing Halo with a bud, and he sniped some baddie. I was like "Nice shot, Red Two!".

It took him about a minute, and then he burst out laughing. This comic speaks to me on an deep, almost unconscious level.
    The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Maseiken
    The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:03 pm UTC

Whenever someone comments on my clothes I go
    "Huh?*lean head forward* OH, the uniform! *Helmet-taking-off-movement* We're here to rescue you!"
    It is understood 1% of the time.

HOWEVER, my "Friend group" has a wonderful and illustrious tradtion of One Star Wars quote used at appropriate times,
    "You Rebel Scum"
    It's probably my favorite line in all the movies...
    I like to say it to people who disagree with me...
    "GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
    (Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:05 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:Again, I must talk about the art. I love the way he used the blue background color instead of the usual stark white (as opposed to a perfect egg shell white...I really need to actually SEE ALL of American Psycho sometime)
    Blue? It looks pretty grey to me.

The comic was decent. Of course a Star Wars joke isn't going to resonate as well as something original, but I find it odd that people expect something original delivered to them every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at precisely midnight. As well, for denigrating this as a pop culture reference... make makes this all that much worse than Battle Room, exactly?
    I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Some 'Splainin' to Do

Re: "Excessive Quotation" Discussion

Postby Some 'Splainin' to Do » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:14 pm UTC

Once, when me and my friends were going through a toll booth, I leaned out the window, waved my hands and said, "These are not the droids you are looking for."

It may well have been my finest moment.

ThanatosDrive

Postby ThanatosDrive » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:22 pm UTC

Dear Mr. Munroe:

Please continue to make your readers laugh, regardless of whether you choose to draw stick figures, static dinosaurs, or a boy and his stuffed tiger.

I can't find many comics that read like your comic. I can't find many webcomics that star brilliant stickfigures, or jokes about blue shells, or rule 34.

Give me math, give me surrealism, give me something you felt like sharing from your spare time.

I will come back to read this comic next week.

3li

Postby 3li » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:23 pm UTC

I think that in the early xkcd days, there were some extremely strong comics mixed in with average ones. Now-a-days there are weak ones mixed in with the average ones.

I still come here every mon/wed/fri to check out the comics, and once in awhile I'm disappointed but usually I'm satisfied. I don't think anyone should be upset about it though, that's what happens to most comic writers. It's hard to stay golden-funny while making deadlines. The comics may have stayed at the same level had Randall not given himself a deadline and if he was more critical of himself, but then we'd be seeing 1 or 2 comics a week.

It's a rough trade-off, but I'm content.

william
    Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:34 pm UTC

3li wrote:I think that in the early xkcd days, there were some extremely strong comics mixed in with average ones. Now-a-days there are weak ones mixed in with the average ones.

I think xkcd is getting better.

I think those random drawings in the first few comics aren't very good.

xkcd didn't take off until he started actually putting words, putting jokes in the strips.

I don't come here to look at red spiders. Please don't bring them back.
    SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

3li

Postby 3li » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:36 pm UTC

Well I don't mean THAT early. I'm talking about after the doodle-era.

william
    Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:37 pm UTC

3li wrote:Well I don't mean THAT early. I'm talking about after the doodle-era.

Oops, I mistook your post for xxpeyotedragon's.
    SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”