1267: "Mess"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Original Comment:
Spoiler:
markfiend wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:To anyone who is going to play the sexism card.. #1 GO TO HELL, NOBODY LIKES PC-DOUCHETARDS

Translation: "I am aware that I've said something incredibly stupid and offensive and I'm going to pre-emptively attempt to defuse the situation by labelling anyone who wants to call me out on it as a 'douchetard'."


Nope. I've said something perfectly normal that has offended nobody for years and years, until internet know-it-all-ism appeared and was super effective.

Now everybody is a bra-burning crusader! (because they read how to do it on wikipedia somewhere)


..Not to mention that "sarcasm doesn't work over text." Which gets exaggerated by people looking to be offended. They stand around with a chip on their shoulder waiting... just waiting... to pounce. But we're not supposed to think that the hair triggered anger is a problem. No, it's the unsuspecting person who triggered it that has a problem. I deal with this crap so often now. "Oh me yarm, YOU SAID THAT YOUR WIFE DID THE DISHES, YOU MONSTER!"... "Oh me yarm, GIRLS CAN GOLF TOO!" (Said by a girl that has never golfed and is offended for not getting invited... a hallmark of being a woman)... "WHY DOES THAT GIRL IN THAT ONE VIOLENT VIDEO GAME HAVE TO WEAR SHORT SHORTS?"... Nobody cares. Fact of the matter is that boy vs. girl, man vs. woman, husband vs. wife humor works. People patently ignore decades upon decades of trends just to suddenly explode because they are surprised that Redd Foxx likes to eat *CENSORED*.

(And yes the irony of ranting at the first person who commented was pre-planned)

peewee_RotA wrote:(And yes the irony of ranting at the first person who commented was pre-planned)


That's called trolling.

Stop that.
Last edited by peewee_RotA on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:07 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5926
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Angua » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Most people I know are a lot neater than I am. There are plenty of guys I know who are a lot neater than your average (as in, other people comment on it, not just me). Saying that this is something only to do with women (though I accept that it may be something more easily seen in women who are traditionally the ones who have to do the housework in the family unit), and then make a ridiculous comment about wives and mother-in-laws (maybe I just have a weird family, but that sort of thing has never been a problem around me) is definitely offensive and sexist, and I would go with pretty stupid as well.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

speising
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby speising » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

anyway, this sort of apology is not intended to make you feel bad for being messy, it is just "fishing for compliments". a part of social grease, you are expected to reply with "oh no, it looks perfectly clean!" so everybody can feel better.

ETA: at least so the socially apt people tell me.

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5526
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby doogly » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:The cream soda one is still around, right? I can never remember what triggers that one.

cream soda.

and wow peewee. just go away.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:33 pm UTC

Angua wrote:Most people I know are a lot neater than I am. There are plenty of guys I know who are a lot neater than your average (as in, other people comment on it, not just me). Saying that this is something only to do with women (though I accept that it may be something more easily seen in women who are traditionally the ones who have to do the housework in the family unit), and then make a ridiculous comment about wives and mother-in-laws (maybe I just have a weird family, but that sort of thing has never been a problem around me) is definitely offensive and sexist, and I would go with pretty stupid as well.


This is exactly the thing that happens on the internet. Mother in law humor has existed longer than you have. So don't pretend that it doesn't just because you decided that you don't like it to prove a point. You guys are the ones that are jerks for acting surprised that normal society continues to be normal society.

And if you, or any of the women in your family, do not go on a cleaning binge when the MIL is on her way over. You are the exception. Denying reality for teh sake of argument is sooo like 2003.
Last edited by peewee_RotA on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

So help me, I'm going to wade in. Here is how I see it:

1. Men and women are different on average and in some respects.
2. Some of these differences are due to environmental factors.
3. Some of these differences are due to genes / the expression of genes.
4. Although the averages differ, the distributions overlap significantly, so for example a lot of men are tidier than a lot of women. (This is an hypothetical example based on the current discussion - I don't have any data on it)
5. On average, neither men nor women appreciate being labelled "DOUCHETARDS". (I hadn't heard the word before and have to admit I quite liked it)

Support for some of the above statements can be found in Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate. Pinker's view on the word "douchetard" is unknown, however.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:4. Although the averages differ, the distributions overlap significantly, so for example a lot of men are tidier than a lot of women. (This is an hypothetical example based on the current discussion - I don't have any data on it)


Outside of XKCD forum, go onto facebook or other random forum. Start the conversation: "Girls bathrooms are dirtier than men's bathrooms". You will find plenty of "sexist" comments that offend an ideal but conform to a reality.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5526
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby doogly » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:39 pm UTC

Go onto some other random forum and stay there. If you consider being a sexist asshole normal then you might as well have at it, but we're doing fine here.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Роберт
Posts: 4285
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 1:56 am UTC

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Роберт » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:40 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:(P.S.S. To anyone who is going to play the sexism card.. #1 GO TO HELL, NOBODY LIKES PC-DOUCHETARDS, #2 You clearly haven't seen a spat between a woman and her mother in law)

Didn't you just play the sexism card? So I guess those points should apply to you, too.

IOW, "right back at you, Strongbad"
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Whizbang » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:42 pm UTC

Scientifically proven gender/sex differences:

Spoiler:
Gender Differences.gif

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:48 pm UTC

doogly wrote:Go onto some other random forum and stay there. If you consider being a sexist asshole normal then you might as well have at it, but we're doing fine here.


How is accusing women of wanting to clean their house and trying to impress their mother-in-law so sexist? Notice how the severity of my "sexism" is in equal proportion to your own level of being offended.



I wanted to expand on my suggestion. People on the internet have this random need to dispell all conventional wisdom. It's not completely explained away with know-it-all-ism, in which any ounce of wrong=completely wrong and mistakes are always intentional. That covers a lot, but it goes much further than that.

So let's say that someone talks about the difference of men and women. It's compulsive behavior for internet patrons to blame it on society and try to talk about the exceptions to disprove the "rule" presented. Men and women can't be different, that's too conventional.

So then we explore the bathroom topic. Conventional wisdom predicts that women are cleaner than men, yet any janitor will tell you just how disgusting women's bathrooms are. The general consensus I've heard from women on the subject is that they know they don't have to clean it up later so they don't care.

Now let's observe both. You cannot agree that men and women are the same while still disproving the assertion that women are always cleaner since the example puts such emphasis on their differences. Clearly you have to choose one conventional wisdom to disprove in a kneejerk explosion.

The conversation always remains civil, even with former janitors with horror stories to tell. But, you always get to see that one conventional wisdom crusher flipping sides like a politician giving a campaign speech.
Last edited by peewee_RotA on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
orthogon wrote:4. Although the averages differ, the distributions overlap significantly, so for example a lot of men are tidier than a lot of women. (This is an hypothetical example based on the current discussion - I don't have any data on it)


Outside of XKCD forum, go onto facebook or other random forum. Start the conversation: "Girls bathrooms are dirtier than men's bathrooms". You will find plenty of "sexist" comments that offend an ideal but conform to a reality.

Hey has it ever occurred to you that this crap was always bullshit but now that people on the internet aren't quite as afraid of confrontation as say, people sitting in a room full of others making bullshit sexist jokes? That perhaps there's now a place where we can say, "Gee, you're doing a disservice to yourself and your whole gender, i don't know if you knew that or not."

Are you currently in high school, or have you past that already?

How much fun are those 'everyone on the internet says x' straw men to build up? A lot of fun, amirite?
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5926
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Angua » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

I was talking about spats between the two.

Everyone I know goes on a cleaning binge when they are having guests over, mother in law, father in law, family, friends, whatever. Again, as it's traditionally the woman's job to clean, then they seem to be the ones who do it more often, but in places where that's not the case (eg, there isn't a woman, or both of them do equal shares) it doesn't hold true.

And just because mother-in-law jokes have been around for a long time doesn't make them true. There are plenty of offensive things that have been around for a long time but aren't true (eg racism).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:
orthogon wrote:4. Although the averages differ, the distributions overlap significantly, so for example a lot of men are tidier than a lot of women. (This is an hypothetical example based on the current discussion - I don't have any data on it)


Outside of XKCD forum, go onto facebook or other random forum. Start the conversation: "Girls bathrooms are dirtier than men's bathrooms". You will find plenty of "sexist" comments that offend an ideal but conform to a reality.

Hey has it ever occurred to you that this crap was always bullshit but now that people on the internet aren't quite as afraid of confrontation as say, people sitting in a room full of others making bullshit sexist jokes? That perhaps there's now a place where we can say, "Gee, you're doing a disservice to yourself and your whole gender, i don't know if you knew that or not."

Are you currently in high school, or have you past that already?

How much fun are those 'everyone on the internet says x' straw men to build up? A lot of fun, amirite?


Let me ask my offense before I continue. Did I sexually discriminate against women or men in any meaningful way, or did I just piss off people by calling them PC-DoucheTards? As far as I can tell, my disdain for the PC crowd is the biggets offense.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:03 pm UTC

Uh yeah, bro. People of both genders don't like being called a clever portmanteaux of nasty names.
You godless couchfuck.
Angua wrote:And just because mother-in-law jokes have been around for a long time doesn't make them true. There are plenty of offensive things that have been around for a long time but aren't true (eg racism).

Did you not know that if something has been going on for a long time, it's 'normal' and people who are 'not normal' or think that the 'normal' thing isn't good should be ridiculed and ignored?


Also, get back in the fucking kitchen, lady.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Whizbang » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Normal doesn't sound like a word anymore.

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:10 pm UTC

Angua wrote:I was talking about spats between the two.

Everyone I know goes on a cleaning binge when they are having guests over, mother in law, father in law, family, friends, whatever. Again, as it's traditionally the woman's job to clean, then they seem to be the ones who do it more often, but in places where that's not the case (eg, there isn't a woman, or both of them do equal shares) it doesn't hold true.

And just because mother-in-law jokes have been around for a long time doesn't make them true. There are plenty of offensive things that have been around for a long time but aren't true (eg racism).


Now mother-in-law jokes are so offensive that they get compared to racism? HOLY CRAP! :P I had a reason for this random flame thread (partly trolling but other reasons that are just kinda dumb)... but I did not expect to laugh so hard.

... that's twice.

Here's the kicker. So my status as a labeled sexist is an excuse to tell me to leave, make fun of me, gang up on me. (all poor social behaviors that will go without rebuke, BTW) However, my own personal life is unimportant here. Nobody knows if I'm actually this horrible misogynist. So let me give this wonderful example. This exact comic happened last night. The wife was way too embarrassed of her "pig sty," as she so put it. She made lists of things to clean and I finished mine early and immediately went to help. In fact she had to tell me to stop helping because she didn't want to feel guilty for not cleaning as much. (Got in trouble for starting to wash the windows). Afterwards I cooked, served, cleaned the table, and helped with the dishes, then did the laundry. Clearly I'm such a sexist pig for volunteering to do all those "womanly" duties! I'm such a horrible person that I regularly volunteer to do these things because I like to help.

Now here's what's going to happen. My sarcastic labeling of these duties as "womanly" is going to get focused on. I have to be this male-pig who hates women, so the scapegoat is that I volunteer to do female stereotyped things because my helpless woman needs a man to save her! When fact of the matter is that the example proves that I don't have those kinds of gender lines in my house and that satire can exist outside of one's own behavior. But defining a person by their satire is as silly as thinking that William Shatner really is James T. Kirk.

But please continue. I'd like to think that Star Trek is real too!.
Last edited by peewee_RotA on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

The Cat

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby The Cat » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

It's censored because it was deemed overused, and so some moderator or other decided to replace it with something we found funnier.


like your beard? rock em Abe! lols :o

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Angua wrote:I was talking about spats between the two.

Everyone I know goes on a cleaning binge when they are having guests over, mother in law, father in law, family, friends, whatever. Again, as it's traditionally the woman's job to clean, then they seem to be the ones who do it more often, but in places where that's not the case (eg, there isn't a woman, or both of them do equal shares) it doesn't hold true.

And just because mother-in-law jokes have been around for a long time doesn't make them true. There are plenty of offensive things that have been around for a long time but aren't true (eg racism).


Now mother-in-law jokes are so offensive that they get compared to racism? HOLY CRAP! :P I had a reason for this random flame thread (partly trolling but other reasons that are just kinda dumb)... but I did not expect to laugh so hard.

Here's the kicker. So my status as a labeled sexist is an excuse to tell me to leave, make fun of me, gang up on me. (all poor social behaviors that will go without rebuke, BTW) However, my own personal life is unimportant here. Nobody knows if I'm actually this horrible misogynist. So let me give this wonderful example. This exact comic happened last night. The wife was way too embarrassed of her "pig sty," as she so put it. She made lists of things to clean and I finished mine early and immediately went to help. In fact she had to tell me to stop helping because she didn't want to feel guilty for not cleaning as much. (Got in trouble for starting to wash the windows). Afterwards I cooked, served, cleaned the table, and helped with the dishes, then did the laundry. Clearly I'm such a sexist pig for volunteering to do all those "womanly" duties! I'm such a horrible person that I regularly volunteer to do these things because I like to help.

Now here's what's going to happen. My sarcastic labeling of these duties as "womanly" is going to get focused on. I have to be this male-pig who hates women, so the scapegoat is that I volunteer to do female stereotyped things because my helpless woman needs a man to save her! When fact of the matter is that the example proves that I don't have those kinds of gender lines in my house and that satire can exist outside of one's own behavior. But defining a person by their satire is as silly as thinking that William Shatner really is James T. Kirk.

But please continue. I'd like to think that Star Trek is real too!.


What? I really don't get your point. It's that you're totally not really a jerk, right? That's what you're saying here?


SecondTalon wrote:The cream soda one is still around, right? I can never remember what triggers that one.

Heteronormative Teenybopper Bullshit.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:16 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:What? I really don't get your point. It's that you're totally not really a jerk, right? That's what you're saying here?


The "sexist" comments were simple, and extremely clean jokes. Ones that line up best with the example of B material: "Take my wife, please."


The trolling was the P.S.S. statement. Because I love to tip that chip that people have on their shoulder. If they truly want to get angry over complete and total bullshit, then I'm all for provoking it! (Especially to point out the double standard where the assumed "victim" never gets called out on being a judgemental assmunch)

And we have three strikes for admitting you're here to troll.

... I have an easy solution!
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
RAGBRAIvet
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:50 pm UTC
Location: 43° 53' 03" -91° 14' 06"

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:But defining a person by their satire is as silly as thinking that William Shatner really is James T. Kirk.

H E   I S N ' T ? ? ! ! ! ? ? ?

But I've been to Iowa.... and gone to Riverside.... and seen the marker for Kirk's birthplace.... and EVERYTHING!

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

If they truly want to get angry over complete and total bullshit, then I'm all for provoking it! (Especially to point out the double standard where the assumed "victim" never gets called out on being a judgemental assmunch)

Provoking the anger of others for fun? I'm pretty sure that just makes you a jerk. Other people taking umbrage against something you've said doesn't automatically negate their argument's legitimacy. Or I guess to you it does. Have fun with that. If people tell you to fuck off, have the decency to not be surprised.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Whizbang » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:22 pm UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:But defining a person by their satire is as silly as thinking that William Shatner really is James T. Kirk.

H E   I S N ' T ? ? ! ! ! ? ? ?


Duh. He's T.J. Hooker.

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:24 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
RAGBRAIvet wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:But defining a person by their satire is as silly as thinking that William Shatner really is James T. Kirk.

H E   I S N ' T ? ? ! ! ! ? ? ?


Duh. He's T.J. Hooker.

He's a what now?
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:27 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:
If they truly want to get angry over complete and total bullshit, then I'm all for provoking it! (Especially to point out the double standard where the assumed "victim" never gets called out on being a judgemental assmunch)

Provoking the anger of others for fun? I'm pretty sure that just makes you a jerk. Other people taking umbrage against something you've said doesn't automatically negate their argument's legitimacy. Or I guess to you it does. Have fun with that. If people tell you to fuck off, have the decency to not be surprised.


But they weren't angry about that. And so far I haven't seen much argument with merit, especially since it's so freaking absurd... "That' rat bastard said that I hate my mother-in-law. What is this world coming to?"

Yes, I singled out a group just to piss them off. And yes, I think that anyone who is defensive of that group is a judgmental asshole on their best days. So I'm just rolling in the mud with the pigs. I actually wasn't going to do it until I noticed that the word PC is muted. Probably because one of the mods thinks that it's ok to require all total strangers to walk on eggshells around you. Another social stigma that is totally ignored while people play victim.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

gnutrino
Posts: 100
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:02 am UTC
Location: Over the edge...

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby gnutrino » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:The trolling was the P.S.S. statement. Because I love to tip that chip that people have on their shoulder. If they truly want to get angry over complete and total bullshit, then I'm all for provoking it! (Especially to point out the double standard where the assumed "victim" never gets called out on being a judgemental assmunch)

peewee_RotA wrote:So my status as a labeled sexist is an excuse to tell me to leave, make fun of me, gang up on me. (all poor social behaviors that will go without rebuke, BTW


So basically you set out to be a massive dick to a group of people then started whining when they told you to fuck off?

You fight the powa you crazy rebel you

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5926
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Angua » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:33 pm UTC

Yeah, and somehow the posters who pointed out how sexist the post was were completely only reacting to the PC-douchtard comment.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5526
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby doogly » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:41 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:
If they truly want to get angry over complete and total bullshit, then I'm all for provoking it! (Especially to point out the double standard where the assumed "victim" never gets called out on being a judgemental assmunch)

Provoking the anger of others for fun? I'm pretty sure that just makes you a jerk.

Well yes, but on the other hand, he did the dishes last night, so.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

User avatar
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks
Posts: 8314
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:17 pm UTC
Location: I FUCKING MOVED TO THE WOODS

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

That means I owe him a blowjob, right?
peewee_RotA wrote:
Fantastic Idea wrote:
If they truly want to get angry over complete and total bullshit, then I'm all for provoking it! (Especially to point out the double standard where the assumed "victim" never gets called out on being a judgemental assmunch)

Provoking the anger of others for fun? I'm pretty sure that just makes you a jerk. Other people taking umbrage against something you've said doesn't automatically negate their argument's legitimacy. Or I guess to you it does. Have fun with that. If people tell you to fuck off, have the decency to not be surprised.


But they weren't angry about that. And so far I haven't seen much argument with merit, especially since it's so freaking absurd... "That' rat bastard said that I hate my mother-in-law. What is this world coming to?"

Yes, I singled out a group just to piss them off. And yes, I think that anyone who is defensive of that group is a judgmental asshole on their best days. So I'm just rolling in the mud with the pigs. I actually wasn't going to do it until I noticed that the word PC is muted. Probably because one of the mods thinks that it's ok to require all total strangers to walk on eggshells around you. Another social stigma that is totally ignored while people play victim.


Tell me more about how you don't understand other people, please.
The word PC is muted because it's a bullshit idea that people use to defend themselves while refusing to take into account the possibility that other people also have feelings and opinions that are legitimate and matter. People avoid being 'pc' because that requires them to take responsibility for their own behavior! And who wants to do that?
If you really want to defend your own rudeness and sexism that's fine, but when we call you a right cunt, you're not actually getting the upper hand. Sorry bro. I guess what counts is that *You* think you're funny.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3057
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby orthogon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:Scientifically proven gender/sex differences:

Spoiler:
Gender Differences.gif

What about fallopian tubes, uterus, ability to lactate, height, body fat proportion, shape of pelvis, levels of oestrogen and testosterone, propensity for baldness, facial hair, preferred cycling cadence, incidence of criminality, etc.? You can argue about which of these are entirely environmentally determined, but surely the differences themselves can be established to a high degree of statistical significance?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Kit.
Posts: 1117
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Kit. » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
markfiend wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:To anyone who is going to play the sexism card.. #1 GO TO HELL, NOBODY LIKES PC-DOUCHETARDS

Translation: "I am aware that I've said something incredibly stupid and offensive and I'm going to pre-emptively attempt to defuse the situation by labelling anyone who wants to call me out on it as a 'douchetard'."


Nope. I've said something perfectly normal that has offended nobody for years and years, until internet know-it-all-ism appeared and was super effective.

You've shown a frustration caused by something in your personal life, but tried to pass it off as some sort of universal truth.

Which is both perfectly normal and incredibly stupid at the same time.

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5526
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Lexington, MA
Contact:

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby doogly » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:08 pm UTC

Fantastic Idea wrote:That means I owe him a blowjob, right?

And he cooked, so make it extra sloppy.

guess what counts is that *You* think you're funny.

Him and "normal" people. Their consensus is important. But, if there is a consensus that he is wrong, that means we are "ganging up." It's rather a judgmental assholish thing we do.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

User avatar
Philip Thomas
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Philip Thomas » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:09 pm UTC

Ilze123 wrote:I have the philosophy that as long as you can "see" the mess and you know you need to clean up one day (but not today) you are safe. But when you descend downwards not caring, or worse not seeing the mess you need to get help. There is a difference between some healthy mess and a cluttered house filled with rubbish.


"not seeing mess" is a apparently a possible side effect of some mental health conditions, including bipolar disorder. Learning this made me feel more complacent about how messy my room is (I'm bipolar). But then I realised I still have to tidy my room, because explaining that I'm bipolar (and that some bipolar people are messy) every time I show someone round isn't going to cut it.
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students
Posts: 4399
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:47 am UTC
Location: The Daily Bugle

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:03 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:(P.S.S. To anyone who is going to play the sexism card.. #1 GO TO HELL, NOBODY LIKES PC-DOUCHETARDS, #2 You clearly haven't seen a spat between a woman and her mother in law)

Aww, you think everyone else is like your One True Circlejerk
cream soda
Whizbang wrote:Scientifically proven gender/sex differences:

Spoiler:
Gender Differences.gif

Nice genital essentialism.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

User avatar
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:41 am UTC
Location: Ciudad de Panamá, Panamá

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Weeks » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

What do you mean the Internet is not Reddit
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

Farabor
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:46 am UTC

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Farabor » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

So, I'd just like to point out some basic things here in an attempt to restore sanity:

Argument by repeated assertion usually means there's no actual argument/debate going on, just people talking AT each other.

Arguing with someone you deem to be an idiot on the internet (Whether or not they actually are or are not an idiot), is a pretty idiotic thing to do. (This goes to both sides of this particular discussion), unless you actually enjoy this kind of activity as some form of mental masturbation. If everyone's actually enjoying themselves, go on! Otherwise....just stop, it's not going to go anywhere.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26725
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:48 pm UTC

Farabor wrote:So, I'd just like to point out some basic things here in an attempt to restore sanity:

Argument by repeated assertion usually means there's no actual argument/debate going on, just people talking AT each other.

Arguing with someone you deem to be an idiot on the internet (Whether or not they actually are or are not an idiot), is a pretty idiotic thing to do. (This goes to both sides of this particular discussion)
The important thing is that you've found a way to feel superior to both.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Philip Thomas
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:47 pm UTC
Location: England

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Philip Thomas » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Farabor wrote:So, I'd just like to point out some basic things here in an attempt to restore sanity:

Argument by repeated assertion usually means there's no actual argument/debate going on, just people talking AT each other.

Arguing with someone you deem to be an idiot on the internet (Whether or not they actually are or are not an idiot), is a pretty idiotic thing to do. (This goes to both sides of this particular discussion), unless you actually enjoy this kind of activity as some form of mental masturbation. If everyone's actually enjoying themselves, go on! Otherwise....just stop, it's not going to go anywhere.


Hmm. You know, I think someone could make a great webcomic about this...
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

User avatar
Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?
Posts: 2023
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:41 am UTC
Location: Ciudad de Panamá, Panamá

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby Weeks » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:16 pm UTC

Farabor wrote:Arguing with someone you deem to be an idiot on the internet (Whether or not they actually are or are not an idiot), is a pretty idiotic thing to do. (This goes to both sides of this particular discussion), unless you actually enjoy this kind of activity as some form of mental masturbation. If everyone's actually enjoying themselves, go on! Otherwise....just stop, it's not going to go anywhere.
Keep in mind how people not participating in the argument see things. It's sometimes worth it to argue just so that people can read a good argument explaining your position, even if it's not the person you are arguing with.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

User avatar
TheAmazingRando
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:58 am UTC
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: 1267: "Mess"

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:I actually wasn't going to do it until I noticed that the word PC is muted. Probably because one of the mods thinks that it's ok to require all total strangers to walk on eggshells around you. Another social stigma that is totally ignored while people play victim.
It isn't really walking on eggshells as much as it is not being an asshole and letting the rest come naturally.

Also, echoing tired tropes about men and women, with no indication that you disagree with them, isn't satire, it's just laziness. For it to be satire you have to actually be clever.
Last edited by TheAmazingRando on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests