1268: "Alternate Universe"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Pfhorrest

Re: 1268: "Alternate Universe"

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:06 am UTC

Randall is not alone in his holy rejection of eating bugs of the sea; yea, God Himself hath ordained it.

"All that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you; They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you."

TL;DR:
GOD HATES SHRIMP
LEV 11:10-12
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:12 am UTC

JimsMaher wrote:Are the spiders eaten raw? How to prepare spiders for eating?
If I ever manage to establish two-way communication with hummingbirds, I'll ask them about this.

Actually, I'm only assuming they eat them. I know they make repeated raids on their webs in nest-building season (spider silk is lightweight, sticky and its stringy filament nature makes it the hummingbird equivalent of duct tape for construction purposes) and have seen the spiders cowering in the background when they do so.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:38 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Randall is not alone in his holy rejection of eating bugs of the sea; yea, God Himself hath ordained it.

"All that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you; They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you."

TL;DR:
GOD HATES SHRIMP

I love the way he felt so strongly he just kept repeating it three or four times. Whoever wrote Leviticus was one angry mofu. Most things were an abomination unto him. The UK Daily Mail is thought to have based much of its editorial style and stance on Leviticus.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:57 am UTC

Maybe He doesn't hate shrimp - He could either love them and wants to protect them, or He loves to eat them and hopes more will be left for Him.

Demki

Postby Demki » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:22 am UTC

I sometimes find myself in a universe where people use sporks, or even worse - small sporks(the size of teaspoons).

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:33 am UTC

Kit. wrote:
markfiend wrote:Heh. Replace "spiders" with "woodlice". Woodlice are the closest terrestrial relatives of the various "food" crustaceans that most of us are likely to encounter.

The closest ones taxonomically or gastronomically?

Taxonomically. I've no idea how to even go about measuring gastronomic closeness.
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

just brew it!

Postby just brew it! » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:33 am UTC

LazyMonk wrote:People think everyone around them inhabits the same universe as them. Truth is, everyone has his/hers own private world that no-one can ever see or understand fully.

You're *all* just figments of my imagination. I challenge you to prove otherwise!

Pfhorrest wrote:...
TL;DR:
GOD HATES SHRIMP

Yup. I recall having a conversation many years ago with a Jewish friend who was brought up in a very Orthodox home. Although he didn't adhere to all of the dietary practices any more, he indicated that just the *thought* of eating shrimp (and other crustaceans) made him nauseous, because he'd been brought up since childhood to think of them as nasty and "unclean".

Demki wrote:I sometimes find myself in a universe where people use sporks, or even worse - small sporks(the size of teaspoons).

Oh, God... don't even go there! We already know what happens when people start spork breeding programs!

markfiend wrote:I've no idea how to even go about measuring gastronomic closeness.

Maybe like this?

ahecht wrote:I'm with you on the bell peppers. I have no problems with the hotter peppers, but I can't stand eating any food that has even been in the vicinity of a bell pepper.

My wife is exactly the same way with her bell pepper hatred. She likes most hotter peppers, and loves chile relleno (Mexican stuffed poblanos). To me, bell peppers and poblanos taste nearly identical. This is why I am convinced that there's gotta be a genetic component to how we perceive peppers.

project2051

Postby project2051 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Maybe He doesn't hate shrimp - He could either love them and wants to protect them, or He loves to eat them and hopes more will be left for Him.

A party in the Garden of Eden:
Adam: Hey look shrimp. I've never had shrimp, are they good.
God: Ahh... No... No there are not ahhh... they are an abomination. Yeah that's it, an abomination.. so don't eat them.
Adam moves on, God chows down on the last of the shrimp.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:01 pm UTC

Lewis Black on bottled water. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqXFrs6quvE

"We now buy our water from Pepsi and Coke. 'Cause if anyone knows water, *headshake*, it's fucking Pepsi and Coke!"

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

just brew it! wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:...
TL;DR:
GOD HATES SHRIMP

Yup. I recall having a conversation many years ago with a Jewish friend who was brought up in a very Orthodox home. Although he didn't adhere to all of the dietary practices any more, he indicated that just the *thought* of eating shrimp (and other crustaceans) made him nauseous, because he'd been brought up since childhood to think of them as nasty and "unclean".

I think it's "interesting" that people quote that biblical passage, but stop short of the later verse that makes an explicit exception, saying that locusts and grasshoppers are OK to eat. Actually, there are disputes about the exact species that the original Hebrew mentions as edible. They were orthopterans, and were obviously species that were agricultural pests, but we can't really say much more than that, since we don't have the reference manuals in ancient Hebrew. But the texts were pretty clear that not all arthropods were forbidden, and those that did major crop damage were on the good-to-eat list.

Of course, if your ancestors lived in a different part of the planet, their religious leaders would probably have listed other large, important insect pests as edible. OTOH, shrimp and lobster are rarely considered agricultural pests ...

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

jc wrote: But the texts were pretty clear that not all arthropods were forbidden, and those that did major crop damage were on the good-to-eat list.

I read this as, "If it eats your food, you get to eat it."

Welcome to the food chain, little grasshopper.

boomerangix

Postby boomerangix » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

Wait, is Earth Prime the real Earth (as in "Primary"), or the second in a series (Earth, Earth-Prime, Earth-Double-Prime, ...) ?

addams

Postby addams » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
jc wrote: But the texts were pretty clear that not all arthropods were forbidden, and those that did major crop damage were on the good-to-eat list.

I read this as, "If it eats your food, you get to eat it."

Welcome to the food chain, little grasshopper.

And; per Lev.
If you die a horrible death when you eat it....
Well....Lighten up on the shell fish during a red tide in the Red Sea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

oh. Trichinosis is as good a reason as any to skip the rare chops.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

of course, you knew that.
Scientists. Who needs 'em?
God will tell you what is what.

What message was God trying to get across with Tetanus?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:46 pm UTC

LazyMonk wrote:People think everyone around them inhabits the same universe as them. Truth is, everyone has his/hers own private world that no-one can ever see or understand fully.

Actually, if you assume some kind of objective reality peopled with other sentient beings with whom you interact, which, admittedly, is a pretty big assumption (though one everyone makes without thinking about it) then the evidence that everyone shares the same objective universe is pretty compelling - either the people around me are perceiving the universe in pretty much the same way as I am, or the universe they perceive happens to be just right so that my perceptions of their interactions with me and with the environment are consistent with their sharing the same subjective environment as I inhabit...

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:54 pm UTC

speising wrote:why anyone would by bottled tap water is beyond me.
Dasani has another whole layer or weirdness to it. So we've got bottles of tap water in convenient locations that apparently turn into gremlins if re-used. Weird enough.

But at least I can see what you'd do with them, take them somewhere without taps and drink them. But what do you do with bottled salt water? take it somewhere with toilets, but no water, and use it to flush?
Demki wrote:I sometimes find myself in a universe where people use sporks, or even worse - small sporks(the size of teaspoons).
I can't remember when I last used a spork, but as an adult I would be offended by being given a spork to eat with; I'd probably feel more dignified eating with my hands.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:26 pm UTC

project2051 wrote:
Klear wrote:Maybe He doesn't hate shrimp - He could either love them and wants to protect them, or He loves to eat them and hopes more will be left for Him.

God: Ahh... No... No there are not ahhh... they are an abomination. Yeah that's it, an abomination.. so don't eat them.

Too bad Eve saw Him do it and then didn't believe Him about the apples...

rmsgrey wrote:

Actually, if you assume some kind of objective reality peopled with other sentient beings with whom you interact, which, admittedly, is a pretty big assumption (though one everyone makes without thinking about it) then the evidence that everyone shares the same objective universe is pretty compelling - either the people around me are perceiving the universe in pretty much the same way as I am, or the universe they perceive happens to be just right so that my perceptions of their interactions with me and with the environment are consistent with their sharing the same subjective environment as I inhabit...

Even if it exists, objective reality is not the universe I live in.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:31 pm UTC

Yeah but that's just, like, your opinion.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Vlet

Postby Vlet » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:37 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:If I ever manage to establish two-way communication with hummingbirds, I'll ask them about this.

Sadly, looks like is the other way around, particularly with hummingbirds. Wiki Goliath Birdeater (I apologize for the lack of link, still can't post those). The name seems to be an exaggeration (like "giant huntsman spider"), but have some power in it.
Last edited by Vlet on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
project2051 wrote:

Too bad Eve saw Him do it and then didn't believe Him about the apples...

But Original Sin would have been even weirder if she'd gone for the shrimps...
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:12 pm UTC

That Shrimp Tree of Knowledge would have been a sight to behold.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Tkun

Postby Tkun » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

So according to God lobster and bacon are bad, grasshoppers are alright.

I think I will try a tastier religion...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:44 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
speising wrote:why anyone would by bottled tap water is beyond me.
Dasani has another whole layer or weirdness to it. So we've got bottles of tap water in convenient locations that apparently turn into gremlins if re-used. Weird enough.

But at least I can see what you'd do with them, take them somewhere without taps and drink them. But what do you do with bottled salt water? take it somewhere with toilets, but no water, and use it to flush?
Have you actually found bottled salt water, or do you just think you can taste a problematic amount of salt in regular Dasani?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

jpers36

Postby jpers36 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:13 pm UTC

Tkun wrote:So according to God lobster and bacon are bad, grasshoppers are alright.

Like Christianity!

Acts 10 wrote:9 The next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. 10 And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance 11 and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. 13 And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” 14 But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” 15 And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.” 16 This happened three times, and the thing was taken up at once to heaven.

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:37 pm UTC

jpers36 wrote:
Tkun wrote:So according to God lobster and bacon are bad, grasshoppers are alright.

Like Christianity!

Acts 10 wrote:9 The next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. 10 And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance 11 and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. 12 In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. 13 And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” 14 But Peter said, “By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.” 15 And the voice came to him again a second time, “What God has made clean, do not call common.” 16 This happened three times, and the thing was taken up at once to heaven.

Don't forget Mark 7:
Pseudonymic Mark wrote:He called the people to him again and said to them, “Hear me, all of you, and understand: There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.” And when he had entered the house and left the people, his disciples asked him about the parable. And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.)

I've noticed that Mark is oddly full of little parentheticals like this.

project2051

Postby project2051 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

davidstarlingm wrote:
jpers36 wrote:

Like Christianity!

http://youtu.be/xOrgLj9lOwk?t=1m7s

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Have you actually found bottled salt water, or do you just think you can taste a problematic amount of salt in regular Dasani?
A guess just using a false binary between salt/fresh water. I'll admit Dasani isn't actually salty enough to be a health risk, but when I first tried it I had two relevant comparison points: everything else I'd intentionally drank, and ocean water I accidentally got in my mouth while swimming. Dasani and seawater are both above my threshold of perception, so I lump them in together.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

stickler

Postby stickler » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:56 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
joeyvalentine wrote:This is how I feel about people who use "an" instead of "a" in front of words that begin with "h."

I know. Give me a hour with someone like that and I'll extract a honest confession that they just do it to look clever.

Surely the general rule with English is that if it sounds right, it is right. As the h in hour is silent, but the o is a vowel, then it is 'an hour'. It is a lot easier to say.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

Surely that was the point.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

pinochet

Postby pinochet » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

I'm with you guys on bell peppers, provided they are green. Red bell peppers are pretty good raw and magnificent when cooked, but I cannot understand why a person would remove one from the vine while it is still waxy, green, and mostly flavorless.

As a bit more of a dimensional stretch:
I come from a universe where grown men are allowed to dress up in colored jerseys and play games with a ball, but watching men you don't personally know play these games is rather strange (and paying admission to a live event is weirder still).

project2051

Postby project2051 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:23 am UTC

stickler wrote:
orthogon wrote:
joeyvalentine wrote:This is how I feel about people who use "an" instead of "a" in front of words that begin with "h."

I know. Give me a hour with someone like that and I'll extract a honest confession that they just do it to look clever.

Surely the general rule with English is that if it sounds right, it is right. As the h in hour is silent, but the o is a vowel, then it is 'an hour'. It is a lot easier to say.

As a general principal I refuse to accept the existence of silent letters, so I pronounce all letters as they are spelled. Yes I'm looking at you LaLama and you Luloyd.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:38 am UTC

project2051 wrote:
stickler wrote:
orthogon wrote:

As a general principal I refuse to accept the existence of silent letters, so I pronounce all letters as they are spelled. Yes I'm looking at you LaLama and you Luloyd.

I agree. That does make French difficult. Not for the speaker. The French listeners suffer.
What are those people doing with all those letters they don't pronounce?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:49 am UTC

project2051 wrote:As a general principal I refusey to accept the existencey of silent leteters, so I pronouncey alul leteters as they arey speleled. Yes I'm lowoking at you LaLama and you Luloyd.
Somehow I doubt the purity of your claim.
---

(he/him/his)

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:44 am UTC

project2051 wrote:
stickler wrote:
orthogon wrote:

Principal? Damn, I must have made another universe shift.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:52 am UTC

I just assumed project2051's job was General Principal of something.
---

(he/him/his)

project2051

Postby project2051 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:17 am UTC

Sigh... Yeah my typing sucks. And by typing I mean my brain, fingers, and eyes never seem to be on the same track. A sentence looks good, but then later I notice problems, a common one is leaving out the ends to conjugations or sometimes whole words, and of course thinking one word and typing another. Another problem I have is changing the way I'm saying something, especially tense, without noticing I'm doing it.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:23 am UTC

atomfullerene wrote:
markfiend wrote:Also, one generation's peasant food becoming a later generation's delicacy (as a couple of people noted about Maine lobsters) happened with oysters. Victorian middens excavated in London are full of oyster shells.

It's not just coincidence in either case. Lobsters taste _awful_ if you don't eat them immediately after they are killed. That's why they are just about the only live animal you will see for sale in any grocery store. They were provided as trash food to poor people because, before the invention of live-wells on boats and air transport, they _were_ trash food. Now that they can be shipped live all over the country, they are a much higher quality food item.

Oysters were once much more common and thus a good cheap source of protein for the masses (at least, in coastal-estuary areas like London). But decades of overharvesting as well as increasing levels of pollution due to industrialization made oysters scarce, and therefore expensive.

You can buy lobster tails in the refrigerator/freezer section of many grocery stores and some warehouse clubs. Those are very obviously not immediately fresh, especially since many people don't generally cook what they buy the same day. I've actually never seen them sold live in any grocery store. The only place I see live lobsters is at certain restaurants, for example Red Lobster, where I always assumed they were kept mostly for appearances since it makes a neat aquarium display.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:56 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:Have you actually found bottled salt water, or do you just think you can taste a problematic amount of salt in regular Dasani?
A guess just using a false binary between salt/fresh water. I'll admit Dasani isn't actually salty enough to be a health risk, but when I first tried it I had two relevant comparison points: everything else I'd intentionally drank, and ocean water I accidentally got in my mouth while swimming. Dasani and seawater are both above my threshold of perception, so I lump them in together.
Gotta admit I remain skeptical. Dasani (and pretty much all bottled water) doesn't taste quite right in my opinion, but I tend to doubt that something with low enough sodium that the nutrition label can get away with saying 0mg has enough NaCl for you to notice it.
---

(he/him/his)

Tkun

Postby Tkun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:59 am UTC

davidstarlingm wrote:
jpers36 wrote:

Like Christianity!

Don't forget Mark 7:
Pseudonymic Mark wrote:He called the people to him again and said to them, “Hear me, all of you, and understand: There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him.” And when he had entered the house and left the people, his disciples asked him about the parable. And he said to them, “Then are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him, since it enters not his heart but his stomach, and is expelled?” (Thus he declared all foods clean.)

I've noticed that Mark is oddly full of little parentheticals like this.

So is cannibalism okay them?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:45 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Gotta admit I remain skeptical. Dasani (and pretty much all bottled water) doesn't taste quite right in my opinion, but I tend to doubt that something with low enough sodium that the nutrition label can get away with saying 0mg has enough NaCl for you to notice it.
Maybe it's not salt, but there's something in there that ruins the taste. If just drinking it doesn't do it for you, try putting Crystal Light in it. Do that with tap water and you get something resembling sweetened fruit juice; do it with Dasani and you get the potable equivalent of chewing tinfoil with metal fillings.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”