1271: Hilighting

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Klear

Re: 1271: Hilighting

Postby Klear » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

speising wrote:well, we all track the text on paper with a finger, too, don't we?

You do that?! Ew... reminds me of this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZjbaC0HZvwY/TaSiuWj7pdI/AAAAAAAAKw4/rMJ-f4iZ2MI/s400/041211+-+Genes+-+060609.png

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:55 pm UTC

I do not hi(gh)light any text while reading, online or otherwise.

Your hi(gh)lighting is bad and you should feel bad.

chris857

Postby chris857 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

I... I don't this highlighting thing on websites, at all. Though, I do get rather annoyed when I can't highlight when I know I should be able to. It's like a PDF that should be OCR'd that isn't, or where the OCR has a bunch of mangled characters.

Also, how do you OCD types react when your highlighting hits some RTL text in a sea of LTR?

littlegeek

Postby littlegeek » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:12 pm UTC

Jiffy wrote:I subconsciously mental-hilight text when reading physical words, but instead of making them symmetrical I try to make them have equal "diameter" ( I know that's not what it's called) like this:

BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH.
BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH.
BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH. BLARH.

I do something similar. I try to select exactly half of the paragraph.

Origins: In late 1986 in the small farm town of Council Grove, Kansas (pop. 2300), Corky Woodward rented a camera and a videocassette player from the
only rental store in town. Woodward, the sheriff of Morris County, then made an erotic 90-minute tape of himself and his wife Dannette, but inadvertently
left the tape in the VCR when he returned it to the store. The next person to rent the player got the tape as well, and soon hundreds of copies were
circulating throughout town

YellowYeti

Postby YellowYeti » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

jc wrote:
GodelianKnot wrote:Is it just me, or does this spelling (misspelling?) of "highlight" make anyone else cringe? Is this a regional thing? (Or did I miss something?)

I'm guessing that you assiduously avoid reading anything before the late 1700s, or maybe even the early 1800s, when English spelling "standards" were finally accepted by most of the population of native speakers. Even then, English has never had a single official spelling standard. We've relied on our dictionary makers to do the job, but they've never really considered it a major part of their job description. And we've always had two sets of conflicting standards, British and American. But they don't even all agree within their respective countries.

If it's important to you to have actual standards for spelling, you should probably move to France or Germany or one of the few other countries that have official spelling standards. Maybe you should avoid Germany for a few decades, though, considering the way that the population has reacted to the changed spelling of a handful of words back in 1996. It's still one of the more contentious issues in German politics.

If you insist on living in an English-speaking country, though, you just have to learn tolerance for our insane spelling "system", and patience with our inability to Do Something About It. It'll probably take a few more centuries, at least, and English may never have a sensible spelling system.

People that worry about spelling are such loosers

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

chris857 wrote:I... I don't this highlighting thing on websites, at all.

What, you don't even accidently this highlighting thing?

ETA:
Klear wrote:
speising wrote:well, we all track the text on paper with a finger, too, don't we?

You do that?! Ew... reminds me of this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ZjbaC0HZvwY/TaSiuWj7pdI/AAAAAAAAKw4/rMJ-f4iZ2MI/s400/041211+-+Genes+-+060609.png

I always lick my finger before turning the page on my Kindle.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

airdrik

Postby airdrik » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

Willl wrote:Does anyone want to stand up and admit that they don't do this? Like many of the others here I've always assumed it was a weird neurotic thing that only I did. Obviously finding out Randall and at least a few xkcders also do it is pretty cool, but would be interesting to know if this is just positive results bias with the large xkcd sample size or if this is indeed one of those things that most people do without even thinking other people might do the same...

Me! And I am among those who think it odd when other people do this. (but don't feel me too outsiderish, I do have other forms of OCD, see below)
SomeoneSomewhere wrote:I generally tend to do the variant where you scroll, trying to keep the cursor on clear space.

I do this instead. I don't like it when scrolling causes the cursor to change from the default pointer to the I-beam select cursor, so I keep it on the sides of the page (though sometimes that requires being right at the edge of the text area when moving it further out results in a different part of the page having focus that has a separate (non-)scrollable area).
Of course, it is ok if scrolling down the usual 3 lines results in the cursor jumping from one empty space over a short paragraph to another empty space. I will usually have to move the cursor after that because the next paragraphs won't be so nice.

One side advantage of this is that I miss most of the mouse-over-to-show-pop-up-ad-from-text-links that infest some pages. >ugh< why do you do that to your readers people!? Are side-bar adds insufficient that you need to annoy your readers with links-that-aren't-links-but-pop-ups-for-ads-that-aren't-in-any-way-relevant-to-the-content-you-are-reading-and-don't-go-away-without-clicking-the-close-button?!

WanderingLinguist

Postby WanderingLinguist » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:Last time I updated the software on my iPod Touch, I discovered that the Cut/Copy/Paste menu in Notes had acquired a spellcheck (labeled "Suggest") and dictionary (labeled "Define") capability. Select a word and then hit Define, and you get a dictionary entry, complete with etymological derivation, pronunciation guide, sample sentences, and idiomatic phrases containing the word (defining "yellow", for example, includes explanations of "yellow alert" and "yellow peril").

But with some words, something else is going on. When I absent-mindedly asked it to define the word "watchband", the definition came out in Japanese.

The same thing works on recent MacOS versions; if you use the touchpad and three-finger-tap a word, you get the dictionary definition, often in both English and Japanese. It would be useful if I was still actively studying Japanese. They need to add Korean; that would be much more helpful for me.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I always lick my finger before turning the page on my Kindle.

I find myself doing this unconsciously at times. And then you get saliva-trail, like a slug, on the upper right-hand corner of the screen. Its kinda gross.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

NiteClerk

Postby NiteClerk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:22 pm UTC

Ditto a lot of the comments and one new one. I had a cow-orker who asked for a highlighter. I gave her a black marker. She actually started using it before exclaiming "Wait a minute. This doesn't work." One of my major work accomplishments is that I talked this person out of voting one year. After all, her vote would be just one in a hundred million. Why bother? :twisted:

It bugs me that her vote counts the same as mine, and she can't even spell election. Or know what the issues are. Or know what an issue is. Or know what is is.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:45 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
orthogon wrote:I always lick my finger before turning the page on my Kindle.

I find myself doing this unconsciously at times. And then you get saliva-trail, like a slug, on the upper right-hand corner of the screen. Its kinda gross.

Yuck. Fortunately, mine isn't the touch-screen version.

NiteClerk wrote:I had a cow-orker who asked for a highlighter. I gave her a black marker.

Did you have to find somebody else to ork your cows after that?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
jc wrote:
GodelianKnot wrote:Is it just me, or does this spelling (misspelling?) of "highlight" make anyone else cringe? Is this a regional thing? (Or did I miss something?)

I'm guessing that you assiduously avoid reading anything before the late 1700s, or maybe even the early 1800s, when English spelling "standards" were finally accepted by most of the population of native speakers. Even then, English has never had a single official spelling standard. We've relied on our dictionary makers to do the job, but they've never really considered it a major part of their job description. And we've always had two sets of conflicting standards, British and American. But they don't even all agree within their respective countries.

If it's important to you to have actual standards for spelling, you should probably move to France or Germany or one of the few other countries that have official spelling standards. Maybe you should avoid Germany for a few decades, though, considering the way that the population has reacted to the changed spelling of a handful of words back in 1996. It's still one of the more contentious issues in German politics.

If you insist on living in an English-speaking country, though, you just have to learn tolerance for our insane spelling "system", and patience with our inability to Do Something About It. It'll probably take a few more centuries, at least, and English may never have a sensible spelling system.

Yes, yes, I agree that there is no absolute right and wrong, that descriptivism is a more sensible approach than prescriptivism, and that lots of words have alternative spellings and regional variations in spelling. It's just that highlighting isn't one of those words. Even if you take a descriptivist approach, you'd have to conclude that there's no such word as hilighting. Google ngrams refuses to even plot a graph of it, and the graph of highlight vs hilight pretty much says it all (highlight beats hilight by four orders of magnitude).
Yeah, it's always annoying when people talk about descriptivism (either misguided proponents or opponents trying to ridicule it) as though it means anything goes and there are no rules whatsoever followed by English users. It is actually possible to spell something wrong or say something ungrammatical. All descriptivism means for this is that evaluating something as a mistake requires looking at how the language is in fact used rather than how certain self-styled "experts" claim it ought to be used.

While this does mean things can start out as mistakes and eventually become correct, it does not mean that everything must be correct from the get-go.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Wnderer

Postby Wnderer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

NiteClerk wrote:It bugs me that her vote counts the same as mine, and she can't even spell election. Or know what the issues are. Or know what an issue is. Or know what is is.

Voters should be given only a blank sheet of paper and a pen with which to write out who they are voting for and for what office. No more multiple choice tests.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

Yeah, that couldn't possibly make the process orders of magnitude more inefficient or open to abuse by the people in charge of reading ballots.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:52 pm UTC

NiteClerk wrote:Ditto a lot of the comments and one new one. I had a cow-orker who asked for a highlighter. I gave her a black marker. She actually started using it before exclaiming "Wait a minute. This doesn't work." One of my major work accomplishments is that I talked this person out of voting one year. After all, her vote would be just one in a hundred million. Why bother? :twisted:

It bugs me that her vote counts the same as mine, and she can't even spell election. Or know what the issues are. Or know what an issue is. Or know what is is.

I approve of this message.

[wonders how exactly one orks a cow, though...]
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:[wonders how exactly one orks a cow, though...]

Orkwardly?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:12 pm UTC

Meanwhile, I don't highlight text unless I'm drawing attention to a specific portion of it for someone else's benefit, or selecting text for copy/paste purposes...

lgw

Postby lgw » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
Spoiler:
orthogon wrote:
jc wrote:

Yes, yes, I agree that there is no absolute right and wrong, that descriptivism is a more sensible approach than prescriptivism, and that lots of words have alternative spellings and regional variations in spelling. It's just that highlighting isn't one of those words. Even if you take a descriptivist approach, you'd have to conclude that there's no such word as hilighting. Google ngrams refuses to even plot a graph of it, and the graph of highlight vs hilight pretty much says it all (highlight beats hilight by four orders of magnitude).

Yeah, it's always annoying when people talk about descriptivism (either misguided proponents or opponents trying to ridicule it) as though it means anything goes and there are no rules whatsoever followed by English users. It is actually possible to spell something wrong or say something ungrammatical. All descriptivism means for this is that evaluating something as a mistake requires looking at how the language is in fact used rather than how certain self-styled "experts" claim it ought to be used.

While this does mean things can start out as mistakes and eventually become correct, it does not mean that everything must be correct from the get-go.

In particular, actual changes to language are slow. Much slower than the lifetime of most slang or "mistake fads". E.g., there was a noticeable wave of "lose/loose" misspelling recently, but it didn't last; the language didn't change. It's usually safe to assume that what looks like a mistake really is a mistake, and not the future of the language. Similarly for slang: will anyone use "twerk" or "phablet" 20 years from now? Oh, pardon me, I'm getting a fax on my carphone.
"In no set of physics laws do you get two cats." - doogly

PracticalM

Postby PracticalM » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

Willl wrote:Does anyone want to stand up and admit that they don't do this?

I don't highlight (or hilight or hilite) text while I'm reading it online or on a electronic book reader. It would slow me down

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

PracticalM wrote:
Willl wrote:Does anyone want to stand up and admit that they don't do this?

I don't highlight (or hilight or hilite) text while I'm reading it online or on a electronic book reader. It would slow me down

I also do not do this (on purpose). I find it far more interesting to see what other people have deemed highlight-worthy, in general.
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Philip Thomas

Postby Philip Thomas » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

YellowYeti wrote:
jc wrote:

People that worry about spelling are such loosers

There are many features of the late 1700s which I do not seek to encounter in my daily life. Non-standardised spelling is probably one of the most trivial.
"There is nothing illegal about being Evil. Some of our best lawyers are Evil" Nicetas, Imperial Commentaries

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Philip Thomas wrote:There are many features of the late 1700s which I do not seek to encounter in my daily life. Non-standardised spelling is probably one of the most trivial.

Yes, and besides, this is an Internet forum in 2013, so why would the forward-looking, tech-savvy people on here suddenly start posting in archaic language using obsolete spellings? That would just be ridiculous.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

lgw wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:
Spoiler:
orthogon wrote:
jc wrote:

In particular, actual changes to language are slow. Much slower than the lifetime of most slang or "mistake fads". E.g., there was a noticeable wave of "lose/loose" misspelling recently, but it didn't last; the language didn't change. It's usually safe to assume that what looks like a mistake really is a mistake, and not the future of the language. Similarly for slang: will anyone use "twerk" or "phablet" 20 years from now? Oh, pardon me, I'm getting a fax on my carphone.
Given that "twerk" has already been around for 20 years, another 20 wouldn't surprise me all that much. Tech-related stuff is different, of course, but even then it's oftentimes more due to the referent itself becoming obsolete than the words disappearing from use on their own.
---

(he/him/his)

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

airdrik wrote:
Willl wrote:I generally tend to do the variant where you scroll, trying to keep the cursor on clear space.

I do this instead. I don't like it when scrolling causes the cursor to change from the default pointer to the I-beam select cursor, so I keep it on the sides of the page (though sometimes that requires being right at the edge of the text area when moving it further out results in a different part of the page having focus that has a separate (non-)scrollable area).
Of course, it is ok if scrolling down the usual 3 lines results in the cursor jumping from one empty space over a short paragraph to another empty space. I will usually have to move the cursor after that because the next paragraphs won't be so nice.

Same here. It bothers me when something visually interrupts the flow of words I have just read or am about to read - this includes the cursor flickering between pointer and text-selector. I do a lot of tracking with my eyes.

orthogon wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:There are many features of the late 1700s which I do not seek to encounter in my daily life. Non-standardised spelling is probably one of the most trivial.

Yes, and besides, this is an Internet forum in 2013, so why would the forward-looking, tech-savvy people on here suddenly start posting in archaic language using obsolete spellings? That would just be ridiculous.

Hwæt be you talking about? I tin easily read hwæt be-did post-did.FULL STOP FULL STOP
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

I will sometimes highlight the bottom line or two of my screen before scrolling, so that I can easily see where to stop. I started doing this when working in Open Office, whose (pgdn) scrolls are sort-of-half-page scrolls, which is annoying.

I know people who highlight sections of (dead tree) text they are reading (just like they were taught in high school) even when the text is a newspaper that is going to be thrown out as soon as they are done. Go figure.

eta:
BlitzGirl wrote:Hwæt be you talking about? I tin easily read hwæt be-did post-did.FULL STOP FULL STOP
Aha! Another of those teen-age mutant ninja otters!

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

To me, all of these strike me as wrong except maybe the fourth one, because there's no reason that whitespace on the left and right should be snagged as part of the selection unless you're literally selecting the entire <div> somehow*. That's just bad markup. I'm not even sure how people do that by accident.

And then there's Wordpress with its obnoxious habit of stretching image links all the way out to the edges of the column, so you end up with a massive amount of whitespace that's part of the link.

*Speaking of which, remember when Firefox used to do that if you hit Ctrl while making a selection? What was up with that nonsense? I didn't even notice when they got rid of that, but I'm glad they did.

NiteClerk wrote:It bugs me that her vote counts the same as mine, and she can't even spell election. Or know what the issues are. Or know what an issue is. Or know what is is.

To be fair, neither did President Clinton.

eran_rathan wrote:[wonders how exactly one orks a cow, though...]

By painting it red, because da red wunz milk fasta.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

littledman

Postby littledman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

mousewiz wrote:
Kieryn wrote:
Willl wrote:Does anyone want to stand up and admit that they don't do this? Like many of the others here I've always assumed it was a weird neurotic thing that only I did. Obviously finding out Randall and at least a few xkcders also do it is pretty cool, but would be interesting to know if this is just positive results bias with the large xkcd sample size or if this is indeed one of those things that most people do without even thinking other people might do the same...

My wife doesn't do this. She is annoyed by the fact that I totally do it all the time, even when I'm showing her an article.

s/wife/girlfriend/

I'm glad to discover I'm not the only one =D

Can somebody do a study on the correlation between gender and text highlighting while reading articles on the internet? Because I also suffer from significant-other-disapproves-of-on-screen-highlighting-itis.

Also, this is my first real GOOMHR moment. I imagine Randall must be sitting somewhere deep in a NSA warehouse operating their mind reading satellite while wearing a black hat...

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:54 pm UTC

littledman wrote:Can somebody do a study on the correlation between gender and text highlighting while reading articles on the internet?
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
---

(he/him/his)

chief1983

Postby chief1983 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:08 pm UTC

I also was the only one I was aware of who suffered from obsessive/nervous/compulsive highlighting disorder, until I met a cow-orker ( ;-) ) who had the same problem. Then we ended up having a discussion about which sites were the most annoying about having hidden adwords in them. After that I figured there must be a lot of people with the tendency. There's also a group of people who get _really_ annoyed when looking at the same screen as you while you have control of the mouse and can't stop highlighting.

enumerated powers

Postby enumerated powers » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Pro-tip Cheat: Alt + mouse-select in Notepad++

Waaayyy satisfying on several levels.

zedtwitz

Postby zedtwitz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Anyone notice he changed the title of the comic (as well as the text in the caption) but not the URL of the png or the text inside the main body?

I forgot to save a copy of the previous version, where everything was spelled "hilight" et al. Hmm.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Hwæt be you talking about? I tin easily read hwæt be-did post-did.FULL STOP FULL STOP
Aha! Another of those teen-age mutant ninja otters!
It takes one to ken one!

zedtwitz wrote:Anyone notice he changed the title of the comic (as well as the text in the caption) but not the URL of the png or the text inside the main body?

Randall has seen the error of his ways and fixed the mustard. Or at least some of it.

He might not be able to change the url since it's intended to be "permanent," though I'm not sure why he left the "clicking to hilight" bit intact.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:26 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:

Me, too. If you're going to shorten "highlight" why not go all the way and say "hilite"? But I guess "hilight" is marginally better than "highlite". OTOH, I guess "lite" almost always means the opposite of "heavy" rather than the opposite of "dark".

Just for fun, I dug through my drawer of pens to see what my highlighters had written on them. I found four different kinds:

Sharpie® ACCENT® RETRACTABLE w/ SMEAR GUARD
STAPLES® Highlighter hype!
BiC® brite liner Grip
Avery® HI-LITER® Fluorescent Marker

Sharpie dodges the debate altogether, Staples goes traditional but adds a peppy brand name after it, BiC bastardizes "bright" rather than "high," and Avery goes all the way like PM 2Ring suggested, though "liter" just makes me thirsty.
Incidentally, I believe the reason they do that is to make it easier to trademark the name (and to defend the claim afterward).
---

(he/him/his)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
PM 2Ring wrote:

Me, too. If you're going to shorten "highlight" why not go all the way and say "hilite"? But I guess "hilight" is marginally better than "highlite". OTOH, I guess "lite" almost always means the opposite of "heavy" rather than the opposite of "dark".

Just for fun, I dug through my drawer of pens to see what my highlighters had written on them. I found four different kinds:

Sharpie® ACCENT® RETRACTABLE w/ SMEAR GUARD
STAPLES® Highlighter hype!
BiC® brite liner Grip
Avery® HI-LITER® Fluorescent Marker

Sharpie dodges the debate altogether, Staples goes traditional but adds a peppy brand name after it, BiC bastardizes "bright" rather than "high," and Avery goes all the way like PM 2Ring suggested, though "liter" just makes me thirsty.
Incidentally, I believe the reason they do that is to make it easier to trademark the name (and to defend the claim afterward).

Ah! Then my HIPE-R-BRITE-HI-LITE-NEEYON-POCKIT-PENN®™®®™ is sure to be a hit!
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:37 pm UTC

When I highlight text (without the purpose of copying it) I usually try to vertically line up the start and end of the selection or make a selection such that, when reading the unselected only, it makes for a funny word or sentence.
I never mindlessly highlight text.

enumerated powers wrote:Pro-tip Cheat: Alt + mouse-select in Notepad++

Now that's a cool feature :o
Thanks

davidstarlingm

Postby davidstarlingm » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:55 pm UTC

I very frequently select text in this fashion.

What bugs me when I'm trying to read something is that my wife uses Page Down and I simply scroll (or use the down arrow). Page Down doesn't work for me; I never can keep track of where I was.

Poll: Are you a Scroller or a Page Downer?

gmalivuk wrote:
Wnderer wrote:

Voters should be given only a blank sheet of paper and a pen with which to write out who they are voting for and for what office. No more multiple choice tests.

Yeah, that couldn't possibly make the process orders of magnitude more inefficient or open to abuse by the people in charge of reading ballots.

Then make it an actual multiple-choice test. The electronic ballot has the offices up at the top and the candidates down at the bottom, and you have to be able to match the right candidate to the right office.

Anything wrong with that?

zedtwitz

Postby zedtwitz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:58 pm UTC

I use the arrow key.

PocketBrain

Postby PocketBrain » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

Dear God, it's not just me. I don't know whether to be enthralled or frightened.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

And since this thread has largely turned to nitpicking, what is the -al suffix doing on the end of the word symmetric? Does it change the meaning in some way I don't understand?

Johz

Postby Johz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

I'm... I'm not the only person that does this? I feel vindicated, somehow.

I've been using a horrible site the other day that, when I triple-clicked to select a paragraph, would extend the selection to include the first letter on the next line. I'm quite sure I ended up finding a different site, just so I could absent-mindedly click on text to my heart's content.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”