1271: Hilighting

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ucim

Re: 1271: Hilighting

Postby ucim » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:18 pm UTC

enumerated powers wrote:Alt + mouse-select in Notepad++
What does that do? (I'm not on windows)

To add... I also sometimes highlight in order to read text that some blowhard has set in white against light blue, or some other hard-to-read combo. Also when showing somebody something on screen. Also to check for (some kinds of) sneaky things.

davidstarlingm wrote:Poll: Are you a Scroller or a Page Downer?
I do both, depending on how well behaved the program is. I also mouse-wheel, and sometimes arrow-down. In a perfect world, I think I would tend to page-down more.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

filecore

Postby filecore » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:31 am UTC

Really? Nobody's going to comment on the fact that Randall has changed the title of the comic, the RSS feed, and the descriptive text below it to "highlighting" but has left "hilight" in the bottom of the box? Tut.

Here it is again in case you missed it:

Spoiler:

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:35 am UTC

filecore wrote:Really? Nobody's going to comment on the fact that Randall has changed the title of the comic, the RSS feed, and the descriptive text below it to "highlighting" but has left "hilight" in the bottom of the box? Tut.

Here it is again in case you missed it:

Spoiler:

Somebody already did:

zedtwitz wrote:Anyone notice he changed the title of the comic (as well as the text in the caption) but not the URL of the png or the text inside the main body?

I forgot to save a copy of the previous version, where everything was spelled "hilight" et al. Hmm.

filecore

Postby filecore » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:43 am UTC

Aww. I skimmed through pages 2 and 3 (the thread was only on one page when I last visited) but I must have missed that one. And there was no other comments on the subject.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:53 am UTC

filecore wrote:Aww. I skimmed through pages 2 and 3 (the thread was only on one page when I last visited) but I must have missed that one. And there was no other comments on the subject.

Also incorrect:

BlitzGirl wrote:
zedtwitz wrote:Anyone notice he changed the title of the comic (as well as the text in the caption) but not the URL of the png or the text inside the main body?

Randall has seen the error of his ways and fixed the mustard. Or at least some of it.

He might not be able to change the url since it's intended to be "permanent," though I'm not sure why he left the "clicking to hilight" bit intact.

(Skimming is tricky.)
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:(Skimming is tricky.)

But blitzing is even trickier.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:02 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:(Skimming is tricky.)

But blitzing is even trickier.

Very true! Sometimes it's difficult to make sure you've read it all!
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

jackal

Postby jackal » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:22 am UTC

speising wrote:well, we all track the text on paper with a finger, too, don't we?

Umm, we all do? I don't. For this reason:

PracticalM wrote:I don't highlight (or hilight or hilite) text while I'm reading it online or on a electronic book reader. It would slow me down

People who do this (follow with their fingers or, worse, as a family member of mine does, use a folded piece of paper or a ruler) while I'm trying to read along annoy me to no end. It's selfish, especially when they (as is almost always the case) read (often significantly) slower than I do--their hand (or the ruler) gets in the way and prevents me from continuing to read.

zeehio wrote:1. Select text absentmindedly.
2. Cheap_ optical mouse decides to move to the top left corner scrolling up to the first paragraph.
3. ARRRGGH!!!.
4. Be too absentminded to buy a new mouse. Repeat.

Ha. Yup. Fortunately, I'm not a compulsive highlighter, but I do occasionally double- and triple-click random paragraphs if I'm bored. The cheap optical mice my former employer used to get from the local computer recycler guy jarred me to the top of the page more than once.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:54 am UTC

jackal wrote:
speising wrote:well, we all track the text on paper with a finger, too, don't we?

Umm, we all do? I don't.

Actually, I meant that ironic, in case that wasn't apparent.

filecore

Postby filecore » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:16 am UTC

speising wrote:
jackal wrote:

Umm, we all do? I don't.

It really wasn't apparent. If anything, I suppose it might have been considered sarcastic. What is supposed to be ironic about it?

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:57 am UTC

filecore wrote:
speising wrote:
jackal wrote:

Umm, we all do? I don't.

It really wasn't apparent. If anything, I suppose it might have been considered sarcastic. What is supposed to be ironic about it?

That is meant to be pedantic, right?

filecore

Postby filecore » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:00 am UTC

Klear wrote:
filecore wrote:
speising wrote:
jackal wrote:

Umm, we all do? I don't.

That is meant to be pedantic, right?

No; merely curious.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

filecore wrote:
speising wrote:
jackal wrote:

Umm, we all do? I don't.

Sarcastic to whom?

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

filecore wrote:Really? Nobody's going to comment on the fact that Randall has changed the title of the comic, the RSS feed, and the descriptive text below it to "highlighting" but has left "hilight" in the bottom of the box? Tut.

It compounds the evilness of disabling highlighting with the evilness of spelling it hiliting.

Rating: A minus minus. Would not buy browse again

WanderingLinguist

Postby WanderingLinguist » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:38 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
enumerated powers wrote:Alt + mouse-select in Notepad++
What does that do? (I'm not on windows)

Neither am I, but in many Mac applications it does column select, so I'd guess many it's something like that? Or maybe it's for selecting discontiguous ranges?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

Yeah, I get this with the Windows version. (Not actually on Windows, but, you know.)
Spoiler:

I can't imagine a case where it could ever be useful, but it's cute as hell.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

speising

Postby speising » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Yeah, I get this with the Windows version. (Not actually on Windows, but, you know.)
Spoiler:

Enormously useful. Imagine you want to delete all those list numbers in your example.

speising

Postby speising » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

filecore wrote:
speising wrote:
jackal wrote:

Umm, we all do? I don't.

The moment I wrote it, I knew someone would remark on the use of ironic. Seems to be a favourite pastime of some people in English countries.
I never got the distinction, I don't think we use the word quite the same in german.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

Since sarcasm is a form of verbal irony, filecore is the one who's mistaken here.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Adam H

Re: 1271: Highlighting

Postby Adam H » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

It makes me happy that Randall is one of the 10,000 people who learned yesterday how to properly spell highlighter.
-Adam

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:It makes me happy that Randall is one of the 10,000 people who learned yesterday how to properly spell highlighter.

I don't think that's the message of the comic. It deals with the magical moments when you learn something cool you never knew. I don't think "you've been spelling that wrong" qualifies (unless there is a neat etymological reason behind it).

Wlerin

Postby Wlerin » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

enigmamf wrote:
[CLICKING TO HIGHLIGHT TEXT IS DISABLED]

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who hates Snopes… I get downvoted on Reddit every time I point out that Snopes uses javascript to prevent you from selecting text.

You're probably getting downvoted because that's child's-play to disable, at least on Chrome. Probably on other browsers too, but I haven't needed to use anything else in ages.

Also, spelling is important because English writing is logographic, not phonetic.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
Adam H wrote:It makes me happy that Randall is one of the 10,000 people who learned yesterday how to properly spell highlighter.

I don't think that's the message of the comic. It deals with the magical moments when you learn something cool you never knew. I don't think "you've been spelling that wrong" qualifies (unless there is a neat etymological reason behind it).
Who the fuck cares what the message of the comic is. It makes me happy that Randall is one of the 10,000 people who learned yesterday how to properly spell highlighter.
-Adam

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:32 pm UTC

ucim wrote:I know people who highlight sections of (dead tree) text they are reading (just like they were taught in high school) even when the text is a newspaper that is going to be thrown out as soon as they are done. Go figure.

I do that too, albeit with scientific articles instead of newspaper articles, with different colours for different reasons of why the part important. I tend to end up highlighting most of the methods and results, and some of the introduction and conclusions. You would probably consider me a horrible person.

I do that, although I don't track the text entirely so much as I track the line I'm at, besides, I prefer using a bookmarker, piece of paper, ruler, one of those triangular ruler/protractor combinations (unsure what those are called in English) or even a pen or pencil (those are generally rather thick, so I prefer one of the former options).
jackal wrote:People who do this (follow with their fingers or, worse, as a family member of mine does, use a folded piece of paper or a ruler) while I'm trying to read along annoy me to no end. It's selfish, especially when they (as is almost always the case) read (often significantly) slower than I do--their hand (or the ruler) gets in the way and prevents me from continuing to read.

I don't generally have people reading along, how often do you do that? Is reading together your usual family entertainment? I don't do it when someone does happen to be reading along though.
SomeoneSomewhere wrote:I generally tend to do the variant where you scroll, trying to keep the cursor on clear space. And often realise whatever I'm reading scrolls by page, so it's pointless...

Scrolls by page? I do the scrolling to keep up with my reading too, but have only had issues with it once (for some horrible e-learning website that captured my arrow keys to go to the next tab, so I needed the scroll wheel, very uncomfortable). You should put the cursor at the edge from the beginning though, that's far more comfortable.
Willl wrote:Does anyone want to stand up and admit that they don't do this?

Well, not like it's described in the comic (I don't care about what the selection looks like, only which lines are selected), and only when I've reached the end of the page (making the scrolling method impossible), or when the page fits in the browser window to track my reading.

Really, I don't follow my reading in pages with short pieces of text (except the scrolling, I do that anyway)

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:55 am UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:I do that too, albeit with scientific articles [...] You would probably consider me a horrible person.
Not at all. But I have two questions: Do you save these articles for possible reference later? If not, why do you do this (firefox what benefit do you find?) Enquiring minds want to know!

While I'm here, how many people find it uncomfortable to read the bottom of the screen? (By "uncomfortable" I mean that you'd scroll to put it in the middle of the screen, even if you knew there was nothing following it). Because I do that sometimes.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Sprocklem

Postby Sprocklem » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:44 am UTC

ucim wrote:While I'm here, how many people find it uncomfortable to read the bottom of the screen? (By "uncomfortable" I mean that you'd scroll to put it in the middle of the screen, even if you knew there was nothing following it). Because I do that sometimes.

I do this, and it irritates me when I scroll to the bottom and the text isn't nearish the middle/within the middle third.

I also do the highlight thing, without the symmetry. Instead I highlight it so that the start and end are lined up, and so that they both fall on the start/end of words. (This often doesn't work perfectly.)

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:one of those triangular ruler/protractor combinations (unsure what those are called in English)

Some of us call those set squares.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:I do that too, albeit with scientific articles [...] You would probably consider me a horrible person.
Not at all. But I have two questions: Do you save these articles for possible reference later? If not, why do you do this (firefox what benefit do you find?) Enquiring minds want to know!

Jose

What do you consider later? They're generally articles I need as references for literature review assignments (and for introductions of other assignments), I mark the parts that show important results and limitations of the experiments to find them more easily when writing, but don't read them after I'm done.
PM 2Ring wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:one of those triangular ruler/protractor combinations (unsure what those are called in English)

Some of us call those set squares.

Thank you. It's easy to find definitions of words, but more difficult to find words with a definition. In Dutch the word geodriehoek (literally geo-triangle, with "geo" being short for geometry) refers specifically to this type of set square (with the ruler and protractor markings), so when I passed the set square wikipedia page and saw the picture I thought: wrong word. This does make me wonder about who named those set square...

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:What do you consider later? They're generally articles I need as references for literature review assignments (and for introductions of other assignments), I mark the parts that show important results and limitations of the experiments to find them more easily when writing, but don't read them after I'm done.
"Later" means at a future time, when the underlining has already happened and serves its purpose of making it easier for you to find something - for example, the next day when you write something and want to find the important results and limitations. Sounds like you do in fact do that, and so your underlining makes sense (actually provides the intended benefit).

This would not be the case if you were to (say) underling important passages in an article, and then toss the article immediately in the shredder.

I know people who do that. :)

Jose

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

It could be a bit like the mental trick of taking notes that you never refer back to, as well.

Since this is sort of a poll question now, I do use both scrolling and highlighting (somewhat inconsistently) as focus aids. I definitely don't like having to scroll page-by-page instead of line-by-line. Depending on how long a text I'm reading, how much I'm reading as opposed to skimming, and the page design, I'll also unmaximize my browser window (usually down to 2/3 the screen width or so) or switch to my tablet for more comfortable reading, since following text lines over 6 inches really is impractical and uncomfortable.

This suddenly feels like talking about how to do the laundry.

PinkShinyRose wrote:This does make me wonder about who named those set square...

It's presumably from the tool known in English as a square. The name refers to the right angle (sometimes, colloquially, "square angle") and not to the shape of the tool. It's technically a geometric tool, but it's associated with carpentry, not with geometry as an abstract, mathematical subject, so it's a different lexicon.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:This does make me wonder about who named those set square...

I didn't find any authorative etymology for "set square" in a four-second googling.

I suppose it came from their original purpose as tools in drafting and technical drawing. Something "square" (rather, cubic) in isometric projection would be drawn with a 30-60-90 "set square", if you were using an old-style drawing board with some form of always-parallel-to-the-edge ruler attached.

(And, as CopperBezel said, it's a combination of the noun and verb forms of "square": the 90-degree-angled geometric shape, and the act of making something have 90-degree angles.)

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:48 am UTC

Oh, actually looking things up sounds like a good idea. But I was speculating about square, not set square - I really think "set square" is named for the tool called a "square", so the "square" bit really can't have anything to do with drafting originally. I mean, it's a very similar kind of tool.

I was very wrong about "square angles," though, and you were right about starting from the verb, although the shift happened before the word came into English. The Other OED says this about the word square:

square (n.)
c.1300, "tool for measuring right angles," from Old French esquire "a square, squareness," from Vulgar Latin *exquadra, from *exquadrare "to square," from Latin ex- "out" (see ex-) + quadrare "make square, set in order, complete" (see quadrant).

Meaning "rectangular shape or area" is recorded by late 14c.; replaced Old English feower-scyte. Sense of "open space in a town or park" is from 1680s. The mathematical sense of "a number multiplied by itself" is first recorded 1550s.

So, I mean, as far as English is concerned, the carpentry tool is the original use of the word, not the geometric shape (and the verb and adjective are only attested later.)

On the thirteenth edit - Hey, I have a space, you know. I mean, CB or Copper is fine, but running it together just looks weird.

she / her / her

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:So, I mean, as far as English is concerned, the carpentry tool is the original use of the word, not the geometric shape (and the verb and adjective are only attested later.)

Ok, so are all of you squares (Definition ca 1950s) square with this explanation?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

jpvlsmv wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:So, I mean, as far as English is concerned, the carpentry tool is the original use of the word, not the geometric shape (and the verb and adjective are only attested later.)

Ok, so are all of you squares (Definition ca 1950s) square with this explanation?

I dunno, but I definitely need to use feower-scyte more. Perhaps as an alternative online alias.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

So all you participants who highlight text in various ways ... would you say your absentminded text selection seems to be an innate habit?

By which I mean, do you participate in natural selection?

zaphodbeebledoc

Postby zaphodbeebledoc » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:22 pm UTC

speising wrote:
Copper Bezel wrote:Yeah, I get this with the Windows version. (Not actually on Windows, but, you know.)
Spoiler:

Enormously useful. Imagine you want to delete all those list numbers in your example.

I can't say I use it a lot, but it's very useful!
bouer wrote:I wonder if we can get XKCD tax-exempt status?

GodRaimundo wrote:A weekapix just makes me hungry.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:53 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:So all you participants who highlight text in various ways ... would you say your absentminded text selection seems to be an innate habit?

By which I mean, do you participate in natural selection?

It's probably induced by way too large blocks of text on websites that are not displayed properly in a narrower window and examples of others with similar habits, although this is probably not the case for the people who don't use it to keep track of their reading.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:42 pm UTC

I really think there's an influence from some sites wanting to be displayed in maximized windows, and others being conscious that they might not get a full 1024 or 1366 or 1920 pixels. A maximum width for text columns is nice, but disappointingly rare. It'd be neat to see page layout dynamically adjust to browser window size - something like what Windows 8.1 applications do - and that might become more common, but I'm not holding my breath for the point at which it might be common enough not to require users to max and unmax the browser while browsing to suit the pages' whims.

she / her / her

FLHerne

Postby FLHerne » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

Jorlem wrote:And those 'click to search' sites are what originally drove me to start using ad-block. I used it to block the individual page elements that make up the search pop up. I know there are easier ways, but none gave the same satisfaction of killing those searches as that did, taking them apart piece by piece.

Indeed! :D

As a TrackPoint user (i.e. middle-click to scroll, also to open link in new tab) I find such sites even more infuriating than everyone else does. :x

jpp

Postby jpp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:00 am UTC

For what it's worth we track how many people select text on sites that are part of the the Repost network (repost.us) - between 6 and 12% of users highlight text. The variation is correlated with how bad the site layout is, the worse the layout the more users highlight text.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”