1277: "Ayn Random"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Kaelin

Postby Kaelin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:08 am UTC

Alt text: "In a cavern deep below the Earth, Ayn Rand, Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Ann Druyan, Paul Rudd, Alan Alda, and Duran Duran meet togther in the Secret Council of /(b[plurandy]+b ?){2}/i."

Somehow potshots at Ayn Rand (and her adherents) never get old.

added link to comic - Angua

rhomboidal

Re: 1277: "Ayn Random"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:09 am UTC

Some puns are just intrinsically better than others.

firestar27

Postby firestar27 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:09 am UTC

Alt-text: "In a cavern deep below the Earth, Ayn Rand, Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Ann Druyan, Paul Rudd, Alan Alda, and Duran Duran meet together in the secret council of /(b[plurandy] + b ?){2}/i"

I do particularly like this one, but I don't quite understand the code in the alt-text. Anyone want to explain it to me?

Also, I never thought I'd be the first to make a thread for a comic! :)

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:23 am UTC

It looks like the comic's title text is missing some backslashes. /(\b[plurandy]+\b ?){2}/i would make a lot more sense.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

Eternal Density

Grapevine grapevine.

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:38 am UTC

Whatever you say, Rand-all.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

ManaUser

Re: Grapevine grapevine.

Postby ManaUser » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:44 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Whatever you say, Rand-all.

He's just mad because he wasn't invited.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:50 am UTC

chridd wrote:It looks like the comic's title text is missing some backslashes. /(\b[plurandy]+\b ?){2}/i would make a lot more sense.
Agreed. But, what does it match that is of interest? I guess it matches all those listed in the cavern.

If it really was "b" and not "\b" would that match anything? Probably not. Oh, Randall, you need a coding mustard detector.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

ucim

Postby ucim » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:00 am UTC

... aynd to think I always thought the best random number was 42

Jose
2Chosen by die roll. Guaranteed to be random.
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Antior

Postby Antior » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:12 am UTC

I wonder what a Randall number generator would be like.

Anyway, can someone explain in simple terms who Ayn Rand was, what she did, and why it's funny to make fun of her?

Wikipedia isn't very enlightening to me on this subject, but I did find out she was apparently a big influence in America, ignored by academics, and way less known in Europe.
She wrote some books and started a movement. She seems to have had rightist views without the Republican crazy extremist Christian stuff, so way closer to European Right (liberalism). Which doesn't sound that bad to me.

Is that about right? So why is it funny?

bugstomper

Postby bugstomper » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:24 am UTC

Antior wrote:I wonder what a Randall number generator would be like.

It's @WHATIFNUMBERS of course.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:33 am UTC

Some numbers are intrinsically better. pi is much more useful than six-hundred-and-seventy-three.

And how many "noble" cultures were biased against and didn't even USE the highly-valuable zero? And hardly any of those even created a random-number generator, "fair" or otherwise.

This comic is just a blatantly unfunny potshot at a fundamental truth.

Blutkoete

Postby Blutkoete » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:35 am UTC

The Rand-all algorithm returns for any given input every possible random number, all at once.

Rand_all(x) = |R for all x e |R.

Very powerful and very useless.

Story

Postby Story » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:45 am UTC

Anyway, can someone explain in simple terms who Ayn Rand was, what she did, and why it's funny to make fun of her?

Wikipedia isn't very enlightening to me on this subject, but I did find out she was apparently a big influence in America, ignored by academics, and way less known in Europe.
She wrote some books and started a movement. She seems to have had rightist views without the Republican crazy extremist Christian stuff, so way closer to European Right (liberalism). Which doesn't sound that bad to me.

It's not that she was a big influence. She is a big influence in America. She's required reading among right wing conservatives. In fact, a movie adaption of Atlas Shrugged recently came out.

It's funny to make fun of her because her views are pretty much insane.

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:59 am UTC

Don't know really. Maybe something to do with this: http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/intri ... alues.html

There are, in essence, three schools of thought on the nature of the good: the intrinsic, the subjective, and the objective. The intrinsic theory holds that the good is inherent in certain things or actions as such, regardless of their context and consequences, regardless of any benefit or injury they may cause to the actors and subjects involved. It is a theory that divorces the concept of “good” from beneficiaries, and the concept of “value” from valuer and purpose—claiming that the good is good in, by, and of itself.
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:06 am UTC

Story wrote:It's funny to make fun of her because her views are pretty much insane.

And because the views of her detractors are pretty much insane.

(Isn't it funny how often absolute statements tend to be less than true?)

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:08 am UTC

Coincidenatally, Ayn Rand has been mentioned in the last few pages of
In other news... (humorous news items, etc).
Or maybe it's not a coincidence and Randall's been looking at forum threads... or at least talking to certain forum users. :)

Eternal Density

Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy Molpy Grapev

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:13 am UTC

The views of humans are pretty much insane.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:45 am UTC

Kaelin wrote:"In a cavern deep below the Earth, Ayn Rand, Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Ann Druyan, Paul Rudd, Alan Alda, and Duran Duran meet togther in the Secret Council of /(b[plurandy]+b ?){2}/i."

If this is supposed to be the end of Art Fern's Tea Time Movie, you left out Sally the Dancing Wombat.

To address Antior's question: Ayn Rand was a leading proponent of the theory that all men are not created equal, so that makes it okay to subjugate most of them.

ziltoid

Postby ziltoid » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:57 am UTC

Some numbers are intrinsically better. pi is much more useful than six-hundred-and-seventy-three.

And how many "noble" cultures were biased against and didn't even USE the highly-valuable zero? And hardly any of those even created a random-number generator, "fair" or otherwise.

This comic is just a blatantly unfunny potshot at a fundamental truth.

This isn't true!

Suppose we could rank numbers by some well defined "interestingness".
Well, we sort all numbers by this rank: now since there is an ordering, there must be a 'least' least
interesting number.
But that's actually quite interesting! So that number's interesting... and thus our set is empty.

Ta-da!

Also, a Rand-ell number generator would clearly just return Chaitin's constant and be done with it...

Google "Bennett: on Random and Hard to Describe Numbers" for further reading (:
Last edited by ziltoid on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:03 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:00 am UTC

The way her views get expressed (at least in the parts of the US I have been in) can be summarized as somewhere between "look after yourself, and don't worry about anyone else" and "screw the poor/non-creatives! They are holding us better people back!"
Among other things, she had a very fatalistic attitude (that if you were successful, it was because you were intrinsically better, not because of any chance, or help from other people, or what have you). This was taken to a bit of an extreme with her views on Native Americans (who she felt deserved to be conquered, because such conquering was possible).
Basically, to leftists like myself (or even more generally, those that use empathy as a value judgement), a number of her view tend to be seen as very harsh, not to mention a bit naive (Rand saw the state as holding back 'great people,' but did not consider how those great people would manage even basic logistics in an anarchic society she professed would be better).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:32 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:Some numbers are intrinsically better. pi is much more useful than six-hundred-and-seventy-three.

Pi is not more useful than 673 if you need to count 673 (or more) of something. Whether a number is "more useful" than another depends entirely on the purpose the number is being used for, and there is no substance at all that can back up a claim that one number is "intrinsically better" than any other. This is a stupid argument.

stickler

Postby stickler » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:46 am UTC

This reminds me of the whole Dual_EC_DRBG thing, with 'claiming to be fair'. But I don't know enough about cypto to fully understand the comic.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:55 am UTC

azule wrote:
chridd wrote:It looks like the comic's title text is missing some backslashes. /(\b[plurandy]+\b ?){2}/i would make a lot more sense.
Agreed. But, what does it match that is of interest? I guess it matches all those listed in the cavern.
Exactly. The corrected version matches two words, containing only the letters p, l, u, r, a, n, d, y. (This is assuming Perl-style regular expressions.)

If it really was "b" and not "\b" would that match anything? Probably not. Oh, Randall, you need a coding mustard detector.
It would require the name begin and end in b. So, Baynb Brandb, Bpaulb Bryanb, Brandb Bpaulb, Bannb Bdruyanb, Bpaulb Bruddb, Balanb Baldab, and Bduranb Bduranb.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

speising

Postby speising » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:18 am UTC

does anyone else miss it, when there's no link to the comic in the OP?

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:20 am UTC

I just finished playing Bioshock yesterday. Get out of my head, Rand!

ucim wrote:... aynd to think I always thought the best random number was 42

Jose
2Chosen by die roll. Guaranteed to be random.

Is that 16?

patzer

Postby patzer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:20 am UTC

firestar27 wrote:Also, I never thought I'd be the first to make a thread for a comic! :)

...you're not.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:42 am UTC

speising wrote:does anyone else miss it, when there's no link to the comic in the OP?

I do.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

PsiSquared

Postby PsiSquared » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:46 am UTC

16?

EDIT: Urgh! Ninja'd.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:54 am UTC

Me2

1 Big.
2 Not a footnote number. Or, I didn't mean it to be, but I guess it is now. Just think "too" in your head.
3 Math.floor(Math.PI)
4 I miss using footnotes. It's a shame they've gone out of OTT-vogue. Maybe if mscha was around we would use them more.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:05 am UTC

Antior wrote:Anyway, can someone explain in simple terms who Ayn Rand was, what she did, and why it's funny to make fun of her?

She has been latched onto by the right for believing that anyone who is wealthy is wealthy because they worked hard to create wealth and deserve to be wealthy, and anyone who is poor is poor because they are lazy and deserve to be poor. What I believe this comic is alluding to is the idea that income is distributed fairly randomly, with luck being the main determining factor of whether or not you will be wealthy, not merit.

This is usually all based on microeconomic theory, which says that in a free market, where everyone is perfectly well informed and perfectly rational, all goods and services will cost exactly what they are worth, and all workers will be paid exactly what they are worth. The other assumption is that your worth as a person is determined entirely by your economic output, because capitalism.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Tnarg

Postby Tnarg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:26 am UTC

"Biased toward certain numbers"

http://xkcd.com/221/

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 am UTC

Tnarg wrote:"Biased toward certain numbers"

http://xkcd.com/221/

That sure ayn' random!
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:12 am UTC

For me, Objectivism has always fallen down at the stage of "first, find a perfectly rational and objective human being" - an entity which exists only in the same realm as the ideal gas, the frictionless surface, the perfect black body, etc etc. Which is, of course, pretty much exactly what this comic is taking a poke at.

YellowYeti

Postby YellowYeti » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:48 am UTC

StClair wrote:For me, Objectivism has always fallen down at the stage of "first, find a perfectly rational and objective human being" - an entity which exists only in the same realm as the ideal gas, the frictionless surface, the perfect black body, etc etc. Which is, of course, pretty much exactly what this comic is taking a poke at.

All the world is irrational, save thee and me.. and even thou art a little irrational

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:55 am UTC

Thesh wrote:This is usually all based on microeconomic theory, which says that in a free market, where everyone is perfectly well informed and perfectly rational

It has always made me wonder why people studying physics generally don't need to believe in spherical horses in vacuum, while people studying microeconomics generally do.

KarenRei

Postby KarenRei » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:57 am UTC

StClair wrote:For me, Objectivism has always fallen down at the stage of "first, find a perfectly rational and objective human being" - an entity which exists only in the same realm as the ideal gas, the frictionless surface, the perfect black body, etc etc. Which is, of course, pretty much exactly what this comic is taking a poke at.

I don't get how any geek could be a Randian. I mean, isn't the Prisoners' Dilemma / elementary game theory known by pretty much every geek in existence? Everyone acting in their own rational self interest will indeed head towards a *local* minimum, but that can be far from a *global* minimum, even if it is quite easy, when the problem is analyzed as a whole, to determine how to get to the global minimum.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:09 am UTC

KarenRei wrote:I don't get how any geek could be a Randian. I mean, isn't the Prisoners' Dilemma / elementary game theory known by pretty much every geek in existence? Everyone acting in their own rational self interest will indeed head towards a *local* minimum, but that can be far from a *global* minimum, even if it is quite easy, when the problem is analyzed as a whole, to determine how to get to the global minimum.

On the other hand, doesn't the existence of the Prisoners' Dilemma make the world a better place? I.e., a "global minimum" for a gang of criminals is not necessarily the true global minimum.

Beatrice The Golden

Postby Beatrice The Golden » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:31 am UTC

Kit. wrote:On the other hand, doesn't the existence of the Prisoners' Dilemma make the world a better place? I.e., a "global minimum" for a gang of criminals is not necessarily the true global minimum.

And there is one more thing - global minimum, in this case, is achievable only in theory, while it's much easier to achieve local one. In fact, in some cases it's very easy.
Humans view problems differently depending on whether or not they are guaranteed to be solvable

zantrua

Postby zantrua » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:52 am UTC

The prisoner's dilemma is the dumbest thing to ever be imagined by pseudo-intellectuals. It ignores all real influences, sets up a hypothetical scenario which is baseless, manipulates the variables to come to a predetermined conclusion, and then pretends that it has deep meaning in reality.

Fun fact: snitches get shot. No one likes a rat.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:56 am UTC

Obligatory

Anyway, shouldn't that really be BHG, not WHG?

ETA:
1) 42 isn't 16, it's

Code: Select all

as_numeric(stupid Facebooky "here is where I was" application)

2) The world's most random number is 17. This is a well-established fact1

1: for certain definitions of "fact"
Last edited by cellocgw on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”