1283: "Headlines"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

1283: "Headlines"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:27 am UTC

Title Text: 1916: 'PHYSICIST DAD' TURNS HIS ATTENTION TO GRAVITY, AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HE FINDS. [PICS] [NSFW]

"Top 10 Reasons Why WWII Is The BEST/WORST SEQUEL EVER..."

Eebster the Great

Re: 1283: "Headlines"

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:32 am UTC

It is distressing how obnoxious the headlines you see on facebook and in ads are. Most are so patently ridiculous or uninteresting, I can't imagine people actually click them.

Especially the "one weird old tip" ones. Endless rage.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:50 am UTC

I... I think he nailed it.

Eternal Density

Infected? Download Android Virus Checker Now!!

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:55 am UTC

Reply to this thread and you could win an iPad 2??
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

edenist

Postby edenist » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:00 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:Especially the "one weird old tip" ones. Endless rage.

Doctors Hate him!

This comic made me think that there could be historically significant breakthroughs in society and science which are sitting behind obnoxious ads.......

I hate this comic!

Durandal_1707

Postby Durandal_1707 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:49 am UTC

Haha, this is the funniest xkcd comic in ages. Well done!

Demki

Postby Demki » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:37 am UTC

Reminds me of this.

LukeRW

Postby LukeRW » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:06 am UTC

Looks suspiciously like today's Cracked page.

No matter what day you read this comment.

(Which I would link to if I wasn't forum-postially deficient.)

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:32 am UTC

Ha, this is so true.

Just today I saw the headline of a Dutch news paper: "Advice: Stay Indoors! Super storm coming".

There's a stiff breeze today for sure, probably officially classifies as a storm (wind strength 10). But definitely at the lower end of the storm scale, we have at least a couple of worse storms every year. That headline is utterly ridiculous.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

akirjazi

Postby akirjazi » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:35 am UTC

LukeRW wrote:Looks suspiciously like today's Cracked page.

Ahem...

http://www.cracked.com/article_20614_6-insane-video-game-fan-theories-that-make-total-sense.html

Other notable offenders: Fark, Buzzfeed, Daily Fail, etc, etc...

Soeroah

Postby Soeroah » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:29 am UTC

I came here to read funny webcomics, not read a legitimate news blog.

Wait.

k_sze

Postby k_sze » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:40 am UTC

Would anybody care to clarify the references?

Some items I'm pretty sure about (rather obvious ones):
  • 1905: Special Relativity by Einstein.
  • 1928: penicillin
  • 1955: polio vaccine
  • 1969: moon landing
  • 1986: launch failure of Challenger (was there really a video featuring a terminally ill child? An advertisement by the US gov or NASA somehow? I don't remember.)
  • 1989: fall of Berlin wall

I'm most curious about the 6 survivors of Titanic, lol.
Last edited by k_sze on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:46 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

joek

Postby joek » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:45 am UTC

k_sze wrote:Would anybody care to clarify the references?
e.g. I'm pretty sure the 1905 one is about Special Relativity by Einstein.

I don't think there are six specific survivors in mind. Wiki tells me that 710 survivors were rescued, so...

For anyone who doesn't get any of the references:
Spoiler:
1905: Einstein's Four 'Annus Mirabilis' Papers -- Brownian motion, photoelectric effect, special relativity, and matter-energy equivalence.
1912: Sinking of the RMS Titanic
1920: 19th Amendment (votes for women in USA) ratified.
1928: Discovery of Penicillin
1929: Wall St. Crash
1945: End of WWII
1948: Berlin Airlift
1955: Polio Vaccine
1957: Sputnik Launched
1968: MLK Jr., Robert Kennedy, John Gordon Mein (US Ambassador to Guatamala) (thanks wikipedia) all assassinated.
1969: First Moon Landing
1986: Challenger Space Shuttle Disaster
1989: Berlin Wall Falls
Last edited by joek on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

k_sze

Postby k_sze » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:52 am UTC

joek wrote:

I don't think there are six specific survivors in mind. Wiki tells me that 710 survivors were rescued, so...

Yes, I saw the numbers on Wikipedia, too. Which makes me curious if six of them were identifiable public figures of some sort.

J L

Postby J L » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:58 am UTC

Late 80s / early 90s: crazy computer hook-up spins out of hand, turns everything for the worse

joek

Postby joek » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:05 am UTC

k_sze wrote:
joek wrote:

Yes, I saw the numbers on Wikipedia, too. Which makes me curious if six of them were identifiable public figures of some sort.

Some possibilities, in that case:
J. Bruce Ismay -- Chairman of the White Star Line, Titanic's registered owner, and the man who had reduced the number of lifeboats on board to make room for more 1st class facilities.
Four of the eight Ship's Officers
Three dogs survived the sinking, apparently: one owned by Margaret Bechstein Hays, Henry S Harper's Pekinese (I can't find out what the third was...)
Cosmo Duff Gordon, a prominent Scottish landowner who has been accused of failing to rescue other survivors.

Joel Kleppinger

Postby Joel Kleppinger » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:32 pm UTC

This feels just like what has happened to weather dot com over the past year. I guess it's working for them, but I've moved on.

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:43 pm UTC

akirjazi wrote:
LukeRW wrote:Looks suspiciously like today's Cracked page.

Ahem...

http://www.cracked.com/article_20614_6-insane-video-game-fan-theories-that-make-total-sense.html

Other notable offenders: Fark, Buzzfeed, Daily Fail, etc, etc...

Well, Cracked at least has the decency of not taking itself seriously.

The "one weird tip" ads are by far the most obnoxious.

Lazy Tommy

Postby Lazy Tommy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:50 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Ha, this is so true.

Just today I saw the headline of a Dutch news paper: "Advice: Stay Indoors! Super storm coming".

There's a stiff breeze today for sure, probably officially classifies as a storm (wind strength 10). But definitely at the lower end of the storm scale, we have at least a couple of worse storms every year. That headline is utterly ridiculous.

In view of the wind speeds and damage reported in the Netherlands since your post, would you care to post an apology to the newspaper in question? :-D

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:17 pm UTC

Honestly, a 10 on the Beaufort scale is pretty damn powerful. Not hurricane force, sure, but still not safe to stand in outside.

Peregrine Crow

Postby Peregrine Crow » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

Lazy Tommy wrote:

In view of the wind speeds and damage reported in the Netherlands since your post, would you care to post an apology to the newspaper in question? :-D

I wouldn't if I were him. Sure, it definitely was a real storm (especially by Dutch standards), but the words "super storm" conjure up images of stuff like tornadoes lifting houses into the air. This storm prevented the trains from riding for a few hours and caused some minor property damages as well as, sadly, one casualty. Annoying, mildly problematic and very sad respectively, but super storm is definitely a case of sensational headlines. That, or it is a case of Dutch people complaining about the weather :D .

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

1905 - Einstein publishes his seminal paper on Special Relativity
1912 - The Titanic sinks
1920 - The Nineteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States is ratified, granting suffrage to women
1928 - Alexander Fleming discovers Penicillin
1929 - Black Tuesday marks the beginning of the Great Depression
1945 - The end of World War II (both in Europe and the Pacific) and discovery of the full extent of the Holocaust
1948 - The beginning of the Berlin Blockade forces Allied nations to airlift food into West Berlin
1955 - The inactivated poliovirus vaccine is announced
1968 - Assassinations of Nguyễn Văn Lém, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and President of the United States Robert Francis Kennedy
1969 - Apollo 11 lands on the Moon
1986 - The Challenger spacecraft explodes shortly after launch, killing its entire crew including one civilian
1989 - Freedom of movement is restored to Berlin, and the Berlin Wall is torn down
1990 - January first marks the new decade, making any claims about "'90s kids" still speculative

project2051

Postby project2051 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:35 pm UTC

Comcast's home page headlines are this way. Tons of tricks and "advice" lists, and their own made-up headlines for news article links, that when you read the article the headline was misleading at best and sometime the exact opposite of what was stated in the article.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:47 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:President of the United States Robert Francis Kennedy

What?

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Klear wrote:

What?

Hey, guys; please remember to check before you post, to make sure that historical references agree with the timeline that you're posting in. There are serious consequences in some timelines for getting such details wrong, if the natives realize what such mistakes might mean. I'm sure you know which timelines and which "consequences" I'm referring to.

lane32x

Postby lane32x » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Klear wrote:

What?

Person: correct. Title? not so correct. "Brother to the president" would work better. Although I don't think that's an official title.

Also, your response made me LoL.

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:1968 - Assassinations of Nguyễn Văn Lém, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and President of the United States Robert Francis Kennedy

RFK was never president of the USA.

Giroofasaurus vexed

Postby Giroofasaurus vexed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

Hollywood needs to start advertising movies this way.

Magic student INFURIATES wizards with one weird trick to freeing elves.

origimbo

Postby origimbo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

The one thing I've never seen explained is why "Mom invents perpetual motion machine" is meant to be better click bait than "physicist invents perpetual motion machine". Not that I'm complaining, since it's a useful element to spam filtering.

joek

Postby joek » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

origimbo wrote:The one thing I've never seen explained is why "Mom invents perpetual motion machine" is meant to be better click bait than "physicist invents perpetual motion machine". Not that I'm complaining, since it's a useful element to spam filtering.

Because no real physicist claims to have invented a perpetual motion machine?

cantab314

Postby cantab314 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

origimbo wrote:The one thing I've never seen explained is why "Mom invents perpetual motion machine" is meant to be better click bait than "physicist invents perpetual motion machine". Not that I'm complaining, since it's a useful element to spam filtering.
Because if a mom can make one, so can you!

As for the comic, well I cracked up.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

Peregrine Crow wrote:
Lazy Tommy wrote:

I wouldn't if I were him. Sure, it definitely was a real storm (especially by Dutch standards), but the words "super storm" conjure up images of stuff like tornadoes lifting houses into the air. This storm prevented the trains from riding for a few hours and caused some minor property damages as well as, sadly, one casualty. Annoying, mildly problematic and very sad respectively, but super storm is definitely a case of sensational headlines. That, or it is a case of Dutch people complaining about the weather :D .

Yeah it seems I underestimated the storm somewhat. It was actually the most significant storm in 6 years (which says more about the scarcity of storms in The Netherlands than about the severity of this storm). So certainly a newsworthy event. Calling it a super storm is still pure sensationalism though. Especially since it was very localized. I was wind strength 10, maybe 11 in a few places. That's not even a hurricane yet.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

kkt

Postby kkt » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:38 pm UTC

lane32x wrote:
Klear wrote:

What?

Person: correct. Title? not so correct. "Brother to the president" would work better. Although I don't think that's an official title.

By 1968, he was brother to a dead ex-president, no longer brother to the president. But the significant point was that he had just won the California primary, so he was the front runner for the Democratic Party nomination and would have been a shoe-in for the presidency in the general election. Instead we got chaos at the 1968 Democratic convention and a compromise nominee that couldn't win, leaving Nixon to continue the war for seven more years, plus assorted other high crimes and misdemeanors.

1968 was also the MLK assassination.

Also, the brutal killing of an unarmed unresisting Viet Cong prisoner by the head of the South Vietnam national police force, in front of television cameras. It did a lot to make the American public think maybe we weren't on the side of the Good Guys in the war.

origimbo

Postby origimbo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Yeah it seems I underestimated the storm somewhat. It was actually the most significant storm in 6 years (which says more about the scarcity of storms in The Netherlands than about the severity of this storm). So certainly a newsworthy event. Calling it a super storm is still pure sensationalism though. Especially since it was very localized. I was wind strength 10, maybe 11 in a few places. That's not even a hurricane yet.

Technically you mean "hurricane force", rather than "a hurricane", although I suspect the difference only matters to pedantic English speaking meteorologists.

scotty2haughty

Postby scotty2haughty » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:55 pm UTC

kkt wrote:
lane32x wrote:
Klear wrote:

What?

leaving Nixon to continue the war for seven more years...

Didn't Nixon pull the US out of 'Nam in '73, about 4 years into his presidency? I'm confused at his potential role that could have drug out the war for seven years.
/s/

easyk

Postby easyk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:01 pm UTC

Diadem wrote: Yeah it seems I underestimated the storm somewhat. It was actually the most significant storm in 6 years (which says more about the scarcity of storms in The Netherlands than about the severity of this storm). So certainly a newsworthy event. Calling it a super storm is still pure sensationalism though. Especially since it was very localized. I was wind strength 10, maybe 11 in a few places. That's not even a hurricane yet.

My aunt lost 2 very old trees and half of her small greenhouse. ( I registered to say this?? )

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:08 pm UTC

Ha, yes, RFK was certainly not president. A lot got trimmed off that line since it was too long, and . . .

It is very important that you know this was a typographical and not historical error.

scotty2haughty wrote:Nixon . . . drug . . . war

i c wut u did there

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

scotty2haughty wrote:
kkt wrote:
lane32x wrote:
Klear wrote:

What?

Didn't Nixon pull the US out of 'Nam in '73, about 4 years into his presidency? I'm confused at his potential role that could have drug out the war for seven years.

they started pulling out in '73, but didn't leave til '75 (ish).
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Buzz65

Postby Buzz65 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:02 pm UTC

Anybody know what the Title Text reference to 1916 is about?

"1916: 'PHYSICIST DAD' TURNS HIS ATTENTION TO GRAVITY, AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HE FINDS. [PICS] [NSFW]"

kkt

Postby kkt » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

scotty2haughty wrote:
kkt wrote:
lane32x wrote:
Klear wrote:

What?

In '70, he expended the war by invading Cambodia and Laos. Negotiations with North Vietnam went on, but the war continued. In early 1973 they did reach an agreement and most U.S. troops were out by the end of '73. By '74 it was clear the North wasn't keeping their agreement and in '75 Saigon fell. Neither the U.S. nor South Vietnam got anything Nixon negotiated for. We could have bailed out in '69, saved a lot of lives and money on both sides, and it wouldn't have changed the future of Vietnam.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”