1289: "Simple Answers"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Someguy945

Re: 1289: "Simple Answers"

Postby Someguy945 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:The first "yes" is wrong. Not every new technology will destroy whole industries. Consider the Frisbee, for instance.

I think the comic's point is that if people are legitimately asking that question, then the answer will be yes.

There are some things teens don't use for sex, but if a reasonable person asks "Will they use this for sex?" then surely the answer is yes.

"'Will [ ] allow us to better understand each other and thus make war undesirable?' is one that pops up whenever we invent a new communication medium."

Well? What's the answer?! Don't leave us hanging!

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:58 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:I think the comic's point is that if people are legitimately asking that question, then the answer will be yes.

There are some things teens don't use for sex, but if a reasonable person asks "Will they use this for sex?" then surely the answer is yes.

It's not limited to teens though, fetishes don't generally stop after your 20th birthday... I doubt there are some things teens (or adults) don't use for sex, some people will get aroused by the oddest things.

Piogre

Postby Piogre » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote: I would be surprised if there weren't a couple somewhere that had sex due to the Frisbee at some point.
Ultimate sex

Well, my parents met at a pick-up game of ultimate.

So there's that.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

Piogre wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote: I would be surprised if there weren't a couple somewhere that had sex due to the Frisbee at some point.
Ultimate sex

So there's that.

Suddenly I feel old... Though according to Wikipedia the sport's actually older than I am... So now I just feel confused...

addams

Postby addams » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:05 am UTC

Piogre wrote:
Ultimate sex

So there's that.

That is a sweet story.
I can fill in the blanks on my own.

You could help a little.
I have questions.

How long did they know one another before they knew one another's names?
Did they keep that Frisbee?

Spoiler:
I have known people for years before I knew their names.

I may have heard criticism of that social structure.
Hang out, do things, eat, laugh, gossip, sleep, hang out some more.

Weeks go by. Why do you need a name? To gossip to someone else?
Something to tell your mother when she asks?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

project2051

Postby project2051 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:51 am UTC

Klear wrote:
project2051 wrote:"Will _____ bring about world peace?" could be yes.

Will the Sun's red giant phase bring about world peace? Probably.

Since when is the Sun's red giant phase a technology? Besides, we might have left the solar system by then. We really should.

oops. For some reason I skipped over the technology bit in the comic.

And I was going to go with the "Heat death of the universe", but it was world peace so I figured that the rest of the Galaxy/universe could go on fighting.

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:I think the comic's point is that if people are legitimately asking that question, then the answer will be yes.

It's not limited to teens though, fetishes don't generally stop after your 20th birthday... I doubt there are some things teens (or adults) don't use for sex, some people will get aroused by the oddest things.

The reason they comic references teens is because this is a common question that comes up all the time in various news media.

Long story short:
-New technology is invented
-The media asks "Will teens use this for sex?" provided they feel it is a reasonable question.
-If they thought it was relevant enough to ask the question, the answer is surely yes.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

Someguy945 wrote:The reason they comic references teens is because this is a common question that comes up all the time in various news media.

Long story short:
-The media asks "Will teens use this for sex?" provided they feel it is a reasonable question.
-If they thought it was relevant enough to ask the question, the answer is surely yes.

To be fair: if they didn't think it relevant enough to ask the question, the answer is usually still yes...

I know young people (until their 30s I think) are more into odd experimental sex than older people (over 60), but it's not that big a difference, and I think the difference between teens and people in their 20s is probably negligible (younger teens probably get enough new stuff from what society considers normal). It's a rather odd obsession the media have with this topic, do people like to fantasise about what the teens in their environment do when they are alone?

It does seem that this obsession with sex is much greater in the US than here. I rarely hear people ask about teens using a technology for sex (except for cameras and communication technology, but it's generally nothing new and tends to be based on actual incidents where people stumble upon the practice). Somehow the conclusion tends to be: there is really nothing we can do to fix it (drastic measures like returning to the dark ages are generally not considered).

addams

Postby addams » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:51 am UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Someguy945 wrote:The reason they comic references teens is because this is a common question that comes up all the time in various news media.

Long story short:

To be fair: if they didn't think it relevant enough to ask the question, the answer is usually still yes...

I know young people (until their 30s I think) are more into odd experimental sex than older people (over 60), but it's not that big a difference, and I think the difference between teens and people in their 20s is probably negligible (younger teens probably get enough new stuff from what society considers normal). It's a rather odd obsession the media have with this topic, do people like to fantasise about what the teens in their environment do when they are alone?

It does seem that this obsession with sex is much greater in the US than here. I rarely hear people ask about teens using a technology for sex (except for cameras and communication technology, but it's generally nothing new and tends to be based on actual incidents where people stumble upon the practice). Somehow the conclusion tends to be: there is really nothing we can do to fix it (drastic measures like returning to the dark ages are generally not considered).

I am in the US.
There is nothing we will consider faster than a return to the Dark Ages.

It is so much easier than thinking.
I think it is funny, in a tragic way.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

kansasdave

Postby kansasdave » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:04 am UTC

"'Will [ ] allow us to better understand each other and thus make war undesirable?'"

Optimistic "thus."

Dryhad

Postby Dryhad » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:13 am UTC

kansasdave wrote:
"'Will [ ] allow us to better understand each other and thus make war undesirable?'"

Optimistic "thus."

Confusing "thus". War has been undesirable since at least 1914. If it wasn't, then dreaming of an end to war would not be considered optimistic.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”