1291: "Shoot for the Moon"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

1291: "Shoot for the Moon"

Postby slinches » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:33 am UTC

Title text:
Spoiler:
Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind.

Meh, the moon is a bit far. Why don't I just shoot for my first comic thread?

rhomboidal

Re: 1291: "Shoot for the Moon"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:34 am UTC

Yeah, shoot for the moon -- unless you're NASA in the last forty-plus years.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:36 am UTC

slinches wrote:Meh, the moon is a bit far. Why don't I just shoot for my first comic thread?
You got it, Image !
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:41 am UTC

If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind.

And if you hit... same thing, but more rocks.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:03 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:
If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind.

I guess that depends on how fast you hit it. I doubt someone would have much time to ponder their predicament as they impact it at 0.99c. It would be fun to watch from Earth, though.

The same point applies to the title text. If you miss at greater than escape velocity from the solar system, Earth won't be visible for longc.

cRelatively speaking.

XiaoSiobhan

Postby XiaoSiobhan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:06 am UTC

Shoot for the moon. Even if you don't reach escape velocity, you may have gotten high enough to fall back down as a shooting star.

Deaths Proxy

Postby Deaths Proxy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:51 am UTC

Someone has been playing too much Kerbal Space Program.

keithl

Postby keithl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:59 am UTC

That's no moon.
deathstar100.jpg
deathstar100.jpg (6.48 KiB) Viewed 11187 times

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:01 am UTC

I tried not to make this, but it was too hard.

redundant for attachment:
Spoiler:
shoot for the megan.png
I don't even.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:07 am UTC

Deaths Proxy wrote:Someone has been playing too much Kerbal spaaace Program.

Shouldn't we be replacing 'space' with 'spice'?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:09 am UTC

slinches wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

I guess that depends on how fast you hit it. I doubt someone would have much time to ponder their predicament as they impact it at 0.99c. It would be fun to watch from Earth, though.

The same point applies to the title text. If you miss at greater than escape velocity from the solar system, Earth won't be visible for longc.

cRelatively speaking.

Depends on your vector. You could escape the Earth/Moon system but reduce your relative velocity around the Sun in such a way that your orbit will decay and you'll fall in.

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:18 am UTC

Shoot for the moon!

If you miss... Well, you won't exactly land amongst the stars. I mean, fuck, those distances between them are VAST! You're FAR more likely to shoot past them

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:47 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I tried not to make this, but it was too hard.

Spoiler:

redundant for attachment:
shoot for the megan.png

Now look what you did. You encouraged me!

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:58 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:Depends on your vector. You could escape the Earth/Moon system but reduce your relative velocity around the Sun in such a way that your orbit will decay and you'll fall in.

Exactly; shoot for the moon during first quarter moon and you'll either reach it or become a sun god.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:49 am UTC

My other idea was the death star but that's too obvious.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:30 pm UTC

If you miss, you'll have picked up 25 points. Make absolutely sure you get that last heart.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:05 pm UTC

A true story from my misspent youth (as opposed to my misspent adulthood...).

Shortly after a certain adaptive optics technique (guide star) got declassified, my company decided to make some tshirts (for our own use) with a stylized screen print of Starfire Optical Lab shooting a laser beam into space. (you can find this at, e.g. this page) . Someone decided to have a caption contest, so in my usual sardonic Muppet-Show-esque style, I suggested "Shoot for the Stars." To my great embarrassment, that was selected as the winning entry.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:23 pm UTC

Heh. This was a good one. And the parodies.

This is gonna backfire though if they're all grammatical literalists and start shooting for the moon. Then she's screwed.

Snipeye

Postby Snipeye » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:45 pm UTC

Copied from my own facebook rant several weeks ago:

There's a saying, "Shoot for the moon - even if you miss you'll land among the stars." From a scientific standpoint, I have many problems with this.

First and foremost, if you aimed for the moon, by the time you got to where you were aiming - be it in a rocket, or whatever vehicle - the moon would have long passed, and you would be left drifting among the stars. Unless, of course, you were traveling at roughly 225,000 MPH - faster than any manmade object has ever traveled, EVER, period. Even that figure is a best case.

So, let's revise the statement with what we now know: "Shoot for an area of space that is a calculated distance ahead of and directly in the trajectory of the moon - even if you miss you'll be left drifting among the stars."

Next I'd like to address the second part of that - "even if you miss you'll be left drifting among the stars." This, to me, seems quite inaccurate. As a most likely scenario, if you do, in fact, miss the moon, you're flat out screwed. Your rocket (or other method of transportation) will be left drifting in cold, silent, lonely, empty space until you die.

If we again revise the statement, we end up with "Shoot for an area of space that is a calculated distance ahead of and directly in the trajectory of the moon - if you miss, (and you probably will, based on the fact that your first idea was to shoot directly at the moon) you can likely expect to die of starvation, suffocation, or hypothermia. Your body will then drift through cold, silent, lonely, empty space for a period of time longer than you can possibly comprehend."

Of course, this is not quite as inspiring as the original statement, so let's assume a best case scenario: Your rocket (or other method of transportation) happened to be, but some statistic-defying miracle, a perfect trajectory to gravitationally slingshot around Venus - the nearest planet to earth. Of course, 'nearest' is still speaking on a literally astronomical scale. Venus is, in fact, roughly 23.6 million miles away - at best. So, if you traveled at the fastest any man-made object has ever traveled (HELIOS II, ~157,000mph, and it actually required a gravitation slingshot around the sun to do so) in the direction of the location of the gravity-well-rendezvous with Venus, then got accelerated perfectly so your trajectory was in line to land on the moon, you would still be traveling a MINIMUM of about a week -- only to then crash on the moon's surface and die. Alternatively, if you were aiming at the earth on your return voyage from good-guy-gravity-well Venus, you would burn up in the atmosphere.

Hm. This still isn't sounding as inspirational. If it's any consolation, discounting a gravitational slingshot, you likely will not have the required escape velocity to leave the solar system - meaning that sooner or later, the gravitational pull of the sun will pull you right back to it. You will, of course, be long dead by that point, but it's (maybe) comforting to think that your atoms will, at least, be a part of the life-giving star closest to earth - Sol.

If that star isn't good enough for you, expect a minimum travel time of 18,000 years - to put that in perspective, imagine living for 50 years. Then imagine that every single day of those 50 years was actually a year in and of itself. Then your (long-disintegrated) corpse and (maybe partially cohesive) rocket/vehicle will burn up in a star OTHER than Sol, you picky, stupid imbecile.

So, to sum it up:

"Shoot for an area of space that is a calculated distance ahead of and directly in the trajectory of the moon - if you miss, (and you probably will, based on the fact that your first idea was to shoot directly at the moon) you can likely expect to die of starvation, suffocation, or hypothermia. If, by some miracle, you return to some celestial body before your demise, the return to aforementioned celestial body will undoubtedly cause your demise, though it will be much more rapid. Assuming you aren't miraculously lucky, (and you probably aren't) your body will drift through cold, silent, lonely, empty space for a period of time longer than you can possibly comprehend, at the conclusion of which it will likely be rapidly disintegrated by a supermassive gravitational collection of hydrogen."

Or, if you really don't like that, "Don't aim for the moon," which, when worded explicitly rather than as an analogy, roughly means, "Your dreams will kill you."

Thank goodness for science.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:06 pm UTC

Snipeye wrote:Copied from my own facebook rant several weeks ago:
{snip}

On FB, rilly? And you didn't get a hundred "TL;DR" responses? :mrgreen:

also -- I see the mods are totally into the letter "a" now. As in s.p.a.c.e vs. spaaaaaaaaace.

And why not: Shoot for^H^H^H the Moon is perfectly reasonable, so long as you're playing Hearts. :oops:
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:07 pm UTC

Snipeye wrote:.. Or, if you really don't like that, "Don't aim for the moon," which, when worded explicitly rather than as an analogy, roughly means, "Your dreams will kill you."

Or, to put it yet another way, "You will be going to space today. And not in a good way."

I, for one, welcome and embrace the word "skycircle", and hope we will send personned upgoers to more skycircles soon.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Snipeye's rant is even better with space sprinkled in it. :D

@cellocgw: I always thought in Hearts it was Shoot the Moon (no "for").
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:14 pm UTC

Any decent sniper knows you gotta lead your target when using a weapon with a non-quasi-infinite projectile velocity.

Meanwhile: Waltz For The Moon (YouTube)

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:15 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I see the mods are totally into the letter "a" now. As in s.p.a.c.e vs. spaaaaaaaaace.

:shock: did you miss Great Lord Randalls instructions?

Mike Rore

Postby Mike Rore » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:22 pm UTC

Snipeye wrote:Copied from my own facebook rant several weeks ago:

blablablablabla

Thank goodness for science.

It almost sounds like you were trying to be funny.

speising

Postby speising » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:28 pm UTC

isn't shooting only ballistic? i know jules verne did shoot a manned missile at the moon in a story, but generally, self-propelled vehicles are considered better for that purpose.
Last edited by speising on Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:29 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:
Deaths Proxy wrote:Someone has been playing too much Kerbal spaaace Program.

Shouldn't we be replacing 'spaaace' with 'spice'?

That might work, if you're a Brit. Or maybe Australian (Strine?). But it doesn't make much sense to us Murkins, or even to the Canadians among(st) us.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

speising wrote:isn't shooting only ballistic?

People like you ought to be shot with laser.

chris857

Postby chris857 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:41 pm UTC

My Google-Fu seems seriously lacking at the moment (so I can't find the video I know exists), but someone made a rocket spear in KSP which glitched the Mun out of existence.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Snipeye's rant is even better with spaaace sprinkled in it. :D

yeah -- that's what the ^H^H^H thing is: it represents the 'delete' character uninterpreted. Stupid old joke from the pre-html days of the webz.
Former OTTer

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:17 pm UTC

speising wrote:isn't shooting only ballistic? i know jules verne did shoot a manned missile at the moon in a story, but generally, self-propelled vehicles are considered better for that purpose.

No. You can shoot a guided missile. See FOG-M for example.

The term "ballistic" is often used to describe any munition which has no guidance system, so even a missile with a rocket engine (but no course correction capability) is considered ballistic, even though only the post-thrust phase is technically ballistic.
Former OTTer

TimS

Postby TimS » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

She must be learning from Strax...
http://youtu.be/G17_B4uACgg?t=2m25s

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:20 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
speising wrote:isn't shooting only ballistic?

People like you ought to be shot with laser.

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

yeah -- that's what the ^H^H^H thing is: it represents the 'delete' character uninterpreted. Stupid old joke from the pre-html days of the webz.

Ah. I guess this is the part where I call you an old chirp and you tell me to get off your lawn.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Ah. I guess this is the part where I call you an old chirp and you tell me to get off your lawn.

Yes, you had to utter the incantation "stty erase ^H". Like the other magic words "ps aux" and "tar -cvzf" and of course "stty sane", nobody knows why they work or what they mean; they're just things we learned at our mothers' knees.

project2051

Postby project2051 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

Shouldn't the saying be updated to "Shoot for Mars."?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

project2051 wrote:Shouldn't the saying be updated to "Shoot for Mars."?

No. I've heard War of the worlds. Those guys would shoot back.

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:01 pm UTC

Every time I shoot for the moon, some superhero or secret agent stops me. I'm only trying to save the world from werewolves. I think maybe they're working together to thwart me. Them and Batman. He likes to jump in front of the moon or pose the Batplane over it. He needs help. I'm just trying to destroy the moon as an intervention. And stop the werewolves.

EmptyTrash

Postby EmptyTrash » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:24 pm UTC

Mouseover text is reminiscent of Doghousediaries number 5301.

(I'd'a posted a link, but that would be spam, apparently.)

Wumbo

Postby Wumbo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:36 pm UTC

Why does her beard part at her chin? Does that have a name?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”