0308: "Interesting Life"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

CorranH
A-dork-able

0308: "Interesting Life"

Postby CorranH » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:02 am UTC

Alt-text: "Quick, fashion a climbing harness out of a cat-6 cable and follow me down."

I like this one. Of course, 'interesting' can mean a lot of things. Like naked, there's good interesting and bad interesting.

EDIT - Oops, put an exclamation point in the alt-text instead of a period.
It's a muon, you cunt - Robin Williams

The_Toad

Postby The_Toad » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:07 am UTC

a cat-6 cable would stretch too much wouldn't it?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:11 am UTC

*sigh* Why is it that xkcd comics point out everything wrong with my life?

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:13 am UTC

This comic seems rather... repetitive.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

IronPirate

Postby IronPirate » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:16 am UTC

Why is XKCD so quotable? Touché Mr. Munroe.

Alright, back to Bioshock.
I'm a bad, bad man.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:22 am UTC

Must all adventures be accompanied by some form of punishment?

Can't there be room for work and adventure?

I just kept thinking of that, I was bogged down with homwework this weekend, and never got a chance to hike the mountains I've been planning to all damn week.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:24 am UTC

I hate people who comment on how interesting your life was/is/going to be... its all subjective anyway. I dont find looking at things interesting, im an adrenaline junkie, id rather go skiing for 1 day than 4 weeks of looking at anything.
Cat 6 cable is quite strong, id say a light weight person would be able to hang off it.

IronPirate wrote:Alright, back to Bioshock.

...and the rootkit drm that comes with it. Thats the really scary thing about the game.

Cameron Walsh

Robot?

Postby Cameron Walsh » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:27 am UTC

On the top floor, there's a person with a TV screen for a head. It looks a bit like one of the robots from FLCL. What do the rest of you think?

Cryopyre

Re: Robot?

Postby Cryopyre » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:28 am UTC

Cameron Walsh wrote:On the top floor, there's a person with a TV screen for a head. It looks a bit like one of the robots from FLCL. What do the rest of you think?

I think it's a woman with short enough hair to give the illusion of a box
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:36 am UTC

The longer I stare at this comic, the more each person at each separate computer takes on its own life and personality and stuff. I'm imagining all of them, and their workplace, and what kind of company this is, and what they'll be doing when they get home, and how they all interact while they're at work during the lunch break...

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:39 am UTC

Cat-6 cable... fancy! I only ever have a need for Cat-5e. I can only sit and dream.

elminster wrote:
IronPirate wrote:Alright, back to Bioshock.

...and the rootkit drm that comes with it. Thats the really scary thing about the game.

That 'rootkit' was not a rootkit. Pay attention.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:40 am UTC

The middle one, second from the top, is very droll...

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:44 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:The middle one, second from the top, is very droll...

He's supposed to be researching something but he also has a Word document open where periodically he goes to write a page in the novel he's working on secretly. His worst fear is that someone in his office will catch him and report him to their boss, a no-nonsense sort of man who does not like imaginative things like novels, and despises them when they're interfering with the productivity of his employees. So this employee tries to look nondescript, tries not to stand out too much, and puts on the semblance of just another hard-working cog in the company machine.

Edit: s/firefox window/Word document

mwn3d

Postby mwn3d » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:47 am UTC

whats with the random old lady in the top right? she seems out of place.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:48 am UTC

The guy on the lower floor on the left is clearly wondering what the fuck "PC load letter" means.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:51 am UTC

Darcey wrote:

He's supposed to be researching something but he also has a Word document open where periodically he goes to write a page in the novel he's working on secretly. His worst fear is that someone in his office will catch him and report him to their boss, a no-nonsense sort of man who does not like imaginative things like novels, and despises them when they're interfering with the productivity of his employees. So this employee tries to look nondescript, tries not to stand out too much, and puts on the semblance of just another hard-working cog in the company machine.

No, you just described ME.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:52 am UTC

This was how my summer was before Junior year. It was so amazing, I'd call a friend up and we'd go drive to the mountains and hike off of the trail. We'd explore, we'd build, it was one of my favourite summers.

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:00 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:*sigh* Why is it that xkcd comics point out everything wrong with my life?

So that if you are truly unsatisfied with your life currently, you can see that it is possible to change it.

I guess *shrug*
~= scwizard =~

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:01 am UTC

scwizard wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:*sigh* Why is it that xkcd comics point out everything wrong with my life?

So that if you are truly unsatisfied with your life currently, you can see that it is possible to change it.

I guess *shrug*

Without winning the lottery, it ain't happening.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:05 am UTC

mwn3d wrote:whats with the random old lady in the top right? she seems out of place.

She started working here back in the days when the business had just begun and she was one of the only women. She used to wear black stockings over her pretty legs and a short skirt. There was a man in a cubicle to her left and she watched him every day out of the corner of her eye. He was tall with dark hair and blue, deepset eyes. She thought she was in love with him.

He left the company after awhile to seek his fortunes in the world as a business owner himself. He struggled at it for five years, then gave up, sick of the computer business, and took some courses at a local community college to become a high school teacher. She pined away after he was gone, too shy to try to find him and ask him out for dinner.

Eventually she married a carpenter whom she met while on a walk through the park. They met and fell in love and she forgot the man with the deepset eyes. Meanwhile, as he taught in the school, he met a student with the same shapely legs that he had watched every day out of the corner of his eye of the girl in the cubicle to his right. He started having indecent thoughts about the girl and they troubled him for a long time. Finally he looked up the woman he had once thought he loved, on Google. He found some comments she had made on a forum. She was still working at the old company. And she was married. He turned away from the screen, tears in his eyes, wishing he had said something to her while he had the chance. One day the girl in his class with the pretty legs forgot her homework and he gave her a detention. As she sat in the desk chair, pretty legs crossed, one foot moving up and down to pass the time, he watched her, careful not to let her see him doing it for fear of losing his job. A few weeks later he quit his job, afraid of these indecent thoughts about his student. He got another job at another school and hoped that he would never see another student with legs like that.

Now the woman is old and the man is old and she has two kids and a loving husband and he is all alone.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:07 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
Darcey wrote:

No, you just described ME.

That is teh weird. o.O Now I feel kind of guilty, like I've somehow invaded your mind and found that in there. I feel like an intruder. I'm sorry.

Phi wrote:This was how my summer was before Junior year. It was so amazing, I'd call a friend up and we'd go drive to the mountains and hike off of the trail. We'd explore, we'd build, it was one of my favourite summers.

A couple years back I was good friends with this kid from my town and he would take me on an adventure to a new place every day. This was the summer before I started high school. When I started high school he realized how I was behaving, decided I was a slut, and has avoided me ever since. Still makes me sort of sad.

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:17 am UTC

Darcey wrote:
mwn3d wrote:whats with the random old lady in the top right? she seems out of place.

awesomesaucestory

I hate to admit that I kinda got into that story, but I did :\ I'm a sucker for those things.

Istrom

Postby Istrom » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:18 am UTC

Darcey wrote: [story I enjoyed reading way too much]

Wow, that was so good to read....

What about the girl on the left, second from the bottom? She's one of the four (five? Top left guy looks different for some reason...) people that stand out. She looks like she's got a story to tell.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:21 am UTC

Phi wrote:
Darcey wrote:

awesomesaucestory

I hate to admit that I kinda got into that story, but I did :\ I'm a sucker for those things.

I wanted to write more of it but I figured a lot of people wouldn't want to read through the whole thing. I'm still imagining her, wondering if when her fourteen-year-old daughter gets a little older, she'll tell him about the man she used to love. If her daughter will think her silly for watching a man every day and never talking to him. Her daughter never really understood what being shy was like; she took after her father so much more, her father the cheerful carpenter who had seen her sitting on that park bench that fateful day reading and asked her what book it was.

Damn, I can't stop!

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:22 am UTC

I'm going skydiving next weekend, Mr. Munroe.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

armorsmith42

Postby armorsmith42 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:32 am UTC

I have only heard that comment about leading an interesting life in Calving and Hobbes, after Calvin tells hobbes his version of the Lord's prayer, Hobbes replies, 'you should lead an interesting liife" and calvin replies, "oh I already do!".

Wired

Postby Wired » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:33 am UTC

This seems too familiar of the time I got the principle's permission to wash the second story windows in my free period. I harnessed up and lowered myself to the math room window and started squeegeeing away. Everyone was like WTF and LOL. I made a heart in the window when my old girlfriend looked.

Yeah... The math teacher wasn't exactly thrilled.
The only way I managed that was my principle has a major sense of humor, and I've been on his good side.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:38 am UTC

Istrom wrote:

What about the girl on the left, second from the bottom? She's one of the four (five? Top left guy looks different for some reason...) people that stand out. She looks like she's got a story to tell.

When she first started college, she had a vague idea of being a lawyer. In high school she had been one of the top students in her year, bright, outgoing, cheerful, and president of her school's Debate Team. It was her history teacher, coach of the Debate Team, who recommended that she become a lawyer. After two years at Princeton, she decided that she did not much like the idea of being a lawyer. She liked the debate part, but on a purely theoretical level. She didn't like the idea of being responsible for people's lives. Of it being her fault if an innocent client went to jail for life. So she switched to what she had always wanted to do - computer programming. She ended up spending six years at college instead of four. Her parents had promised to pay for four years but she had had to take out a bank loan for the last two years herself.

Miraculously, she managed to get the first job she applied to. Something about her energy and positivity made the woman in charge hire her. That and she was a very competent programmer, if a bit inexperienced. She was so excited about the job, so pleased that the woman who hired her had liked her so much.

Now she is twenty-six, and she still loves programming but she likes the company a bit less. The woman who hired her is no longer in charge, having moved upward in the company hierarchy. The man in charge now does not tolerate nonsense or idiosyncrasies and his cold marble stare tends to wipe away all of her optimism and energy. She can tell, as he looks at her, that he doesn't approve of her somewhat wild hair, in a new style every day, or her lime green dress, so bright amongst the blacks and muted navies of the other cubicles' occupants. She is contemplating quiting, but this job pays so much, and she still has those student debts to work off.

Although she still works hard, she is getting tired, living all alone in her little apartment that she rents for $800 a month. Upstairs are a noisy family with children who jump on beds and creak the ceiling above her as she tries to read. She goes to bars in hopes of meeting someone but the people there are rarely intellectuals. She wishes she knew of somewhere that intellectuals tended to hang out. There is a cute young man who sits two seats behind her in the office, right up against the window, but she says nothing to him because she fears the consequences of an office romance.

shrike

Postby shrike » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:45 am UTC

this comic disappoints me.

scwizard

Postby scwizard » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:48 am UTC

shrike wrote:this comic disappoints me.

Why so?
~= scwizard =~

Raphael

Postby Raphael » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:49 am UTC

I'm trying to understand why all males in Mr Munroe's world are bald. Is it some sort of genetic defect?

roxxboxx

Postby roxxboxx » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:58 am UTC

Awww, this reminds me of Girly :)

Hehe, my first post here. Been reading xkcd for a while, one of my favourite webcomics on the interweb.

proudfoot

Postby proudfoot » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:23 am UTC

Darcey wrote:
Istrom wrote:

When she first started college, she had a vague idea of being a lawyer. In high school she had been one of the top students in her year, bright, outgoing, cheerful, and president of her school's Debate Team. It was her history teacher, coach of the Debate Team, who recommended that she become a lawyer. After two years at Princeton, she decided that she did not much like the idea of being a lawyer. She liked the debate part, but on a purely theoretical level. She didn't like the idea of being responsible for people's lives. Of it being her fault if an innocent client went to jail for life. So she switched to what she had always wanted to do - computer programming. She ended up spending six years at college instead of four. Her parents had promised to pay for four years but she had had to take out a bank loan for the last two years herself.

Miraculously, she managed to get the first job she applied to. Something about her energy and positivity made the woman in charge hire her. That and she was a very competent programmer, if a bit inexperienced. She was so excited about the job, so pleased that the woman who hired her had liked her so much.

Now she is twenty-six, and she still loves programming but she likes the company a bit less. The woman who hired her is no longer in charge, having moved upward in the company hierarchy. The man in charge now does not tolerate nonsense or idiosyncrasies and his cold marble stare tends to wipe away all of her optimism and energy. She can tell, as he looks at her, that he doesn't approve of her somewhat wild hair, in a new style every day, or her lime green dress, so bright amongst the blacks and muted navies of the other cubicles' occupants. She is contemplating quiting, but this job pays so much, and she still has those student debts to work off.

Although she still works hard, she is getting tired, living all alone in her little apartment that she rents for $800 a month. Upstairs are a noisy family with children who jump on beds and creak the ceiling above her as she tries to read. She goes to bars in hopes of meeting someone but the people there are rarely intellectuals. She wishes she knew of somewhere that intellectuals tended to hang out. There is a cute young man who sits two seats behind her in the office, right up against the window, but she says nothing to him because she fears the consequences of an office romance.

I assume this is you?

King

Postby King » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:28 am UTC

It's not a bad comic in itself, but to me it feels like it's just stealing ideas from nihilsm, and several other comics like that. As original as it would be anywhere else, at xkcd things like this just go without saying.

That said, darceys stories are awesome. I would love to see a version of this comic that has all the other peoples stories added in, but that would probably be too hard, as it wouldn't fit.

Keep writing anyway though, I really like your style.
Last edited by King on Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:30 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterday never was, and tomorrow never will be.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:30 am UTC

proudfoot wrote:
Darcey wrote:
Istrom wrote:

[stuff I wrote]

I assume this is you?

Maybe a little bit. I'm outgoing, I want to be a programmer, and I'm going to wear a lime green shirt tomorrow. I was worrying yesterday because I got my school schedule for next year (I'll be a high school senior) and the teacher for my favourite subject, English, turns out to be the one English teacher in the whole school who doesn't like me. I think she doesn't approve of my unusuality. She likes the regular high school kids, the ones who fit into the mold. I think by being myself I offend her in some way. I guess I might have been thinking of that unconsciously as I wrote that bit?

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:40 am UTC

King wrote:That said, darceys stories are awesome. I would love to see a version of this comic that has all the other peoples stories added in, but that would probably be too hard, as it wouldn't fit.

Keep writing anyway though, I really like your style.

Thank you. =) I'm really tempted to make this whole office scene into a short story. I wrote all of these pretty quickly to keep up with the flow of the topic, so I'd edit them a bit, fill them out some more, make the sentences sound smoother and add a little alliteration.

And if I do I will post a link to it somewhere on this forum where people can find it. I'm glad everyone likes it! I thought people were going to be mad at me for shaping the comic into my own view of it and forcing my imagination on everyone else.

Nyerguds

Re: "Interesting Life" Discussion

Postby Nyerguds » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:44 am UTC

Hmm... actually, the proverb is "may you live in interesting times".

This is, of course, because historically seen, "interesting times" means wars and turmoil.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:01 am UTC

Darcey wrote:

She started working here back in the days when the business had just begun and she was one of the only women. She used to wear black stockings over her pretty legs and a short skirt. There was a man in a cubicle to her left and she watched him every day out of the corner of her eye. He was tall with dark hair and blue, deepset eyes. She thought she was in love with him.

[...]

Now the woman is old and the man is old and she has two kids and a loving husband and he is all alone.

... wow. That's all. I am now going to use Google to see if you have any other writings online. :D
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:05 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:
Darcey wrote:

[...]

... wow. That's all. I am now going to use Google to see if you have any other writings online. :D

I probably do but I dunno if Google will help you find them. *tries it herself*

Edit: Apparently my AIM screenname is also the title of a Star Trek novel about Captain Pike. This was not deliberate; I have never seen or read the book. Star Trek wins at awesome though, so this is pretty cool.

RadioImp

Postby RadioImp » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:24 am UTC

This is the first comic that I really really want as a poster, just so I can put it up at work :)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”