0308: "Interesting Life"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ocarina_21

Postby ocarina_21 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:55 pm UTC

Oddly enough, my friend and I had a similar conversation, but we came to the conclusion that to go on an adventure, one must carry an axe. Neither of us had axes with us, so away went our plan.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:58 pm UTC

Jadestone wrote:Oh, guess who just finished reading Interesting Times yesterday.

Big Dan McCarthy?

MythGuyDK

Postby MythGuyDK » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:23 pm UTC

Jadestone wrote:Oh, guess who just finished reading Interesting Times yesterday.

Wait, I know this one..... was it.... no.... not that guy...... OH! You? :P
Exactly!

spacedman

Prize

Postby spacedman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:24 pm UTC

Prize to the first person to really fashion a harness out of cat-6 cable. Hint: use several strands woven together to make a rope - a single strand is going to HURT! I reckon its possible...

XKCD readers have done weirder things...

zenten

Re: Prize

Postby zenten » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:33 pm UTC

spacedman wrote:Prize to the first person to really fashion a harness out of cat-6 cable. Hint: use several strands woven together to make a rope - a single strand is going to HURT! I reckon its possible...

XKCD readers have done weirder things...

Can we just use Cat-5 instead? Cat-6 is expensive.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:05 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:
CatProximity wrote:I was wondering what would happen if I just stayed on the bus this morning. Sadly I knew it would just bring me to the watertown lot and the bus would shortly there after pass my stop again and I'd probably just get a little extra harry potter read.

But what if an incredibly interesting person got on the bus at the watertown lot? He (or she!) could have engaged you in conversation so deep that you stayed on past your stop again... then where would you be? Would you elect to spend more time with this individual? What sort of adventure would you be led on?

Will I write any sentence in this post that is not a question?!!
Did I mention we don't talk to strangers here in Boston. Unless they happen to be reading something we're interested in, or liked, or some such. No other time. Ever. If anything will drive Randall out, it's that lil factoid.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

xquared
Location: canada, but would like to be in the town of Fucking

Postby xquared » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:39 pm UTC

any one noticed that the girl seems to be running out of wires/ropes? so if man in side the cubical decide not to embark on her adventure, she'd have to climb back up to get more wires!!!
X_x² ... ò_Ô

Gertlex

Postby Gertlex » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

There's a bit too much whitespace for me to put this on a wall, but I think people could use this sort of sentiment on a mousepad. (Though my mousepad is already awesomer :P)

I like this one better than the last half dozen or so.

Kiirani

Postby Kiirani » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:03 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:This is quite clearly balloon/kite/choices girl.

My thoughts exactly. I'm betting on the same guy too.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:
hendusoone wrote:
CatProximity wrote:I was wondering what would happen if I just stayed on the bus this morning. Sadly I knew it would just bring me to the watertown lot and the bus would shortly there after pass my stop again and I'd probably just get a little extra harry potter read.

But what if an incredibly interesting person got on the bus at the watertown lot? He (or she!) could have engaged you in conversation so deep that you stayed on past your stop again... then where would you be? Would you elect to spend more time with this individual? What sort of adventure would you be led on?

Will I write any sentence in this post that is not a question?!!
Did I mention we don't talk to strangers here in Boston. Unless they happen to be reading something we're interested in, or liked, or some such. No other time. Ever. If anything will drive Randall out, it's that lil factoid.

Well, I violate that rule as often as I can when randomly wandering Boston (in the safer areas, at least... wouldn't want to try in some parts). It keeps life interesting. Also, I neglected to mention this stranger is also a fan of Harry Potter.

volland

Re: "Interesting Life" Discussion

Postby volland » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

Nyerguds wrote:Hmm... actually, the proverb is "may you live in interesting times".

This is, of course, because historically seen, "interesting times" means wars and turmoil.

Exactly. That bothered me as well in the comic: who would say that phrase as a curse?

Kantank

Postby Kantank » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

Fuck those people indeed.

caliman83

Postby caliman83 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:14 pm UTC

I think Darcey shold wright storys for every comic from now. You really are a good wrighter. I hope you dont give it up,not enough good wrighters in the world.
I Dont Know

orangeperson

Postby orangeperson » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:29 pm UTC

Sweet contrast.
spjork.

TimmyFred

Postby TimmyFred » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:37 pm UTC

This comic mad me sad...

I vetoed a light night excursion to the beach (a mere 2.5 hours away) on saturday night whilst hanging out with these two girls from work...

Damn you, brain!

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

Kantank wrote:Fuck those people indeed.

Alright, but only if they're cute.

shrike

Postby shrike » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:28 pm UTC

scwizard wrote:
shrike wrote:this comic disappoints me.

Why so?

it just seems a little bland and generic, according to xkcd standards.

it might as well say:

"you know those people who are threatened by everything?"

"yeah"

"fuck those people. let's do fun things."

as someone else mentioned, this kind of goes without saying in xkcd world. and i'm well aware of the fact that if everything that goes without saying was, in fact, not said, there'd probably be no comics. the reason it disappoints me is that (save for the alt-text) there is nothing else witty or clever about it.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:43 pm UTC

A recurring theme in the xkcd-verse is the characters imploring each other to escape the mundane and expand their horizons.

This isn't just a humorous comic, it also encompasses things like science and romance. This is a romance one.

Wolvan

Postby Wolvan » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

So far I don't believe anyone has mentioned that one of the best things about this particular comic is that it is the start of a sequence... or, at the very least, it gives hope that there is a larger world outside of this single comic and that the characters stories will continue.

That's what I got from it least ways. Mix in a great Richard Dawkins presentation I watched earlier today where he quotes "look back to a memory you had as a child, one where you can feel or taste something very specific... this should be real, for you were really there. But you weren't there. All of the molecules and atoms that consist your entire body are completely different from those that existed during your memory," from someone whom I really shouldn't have forgotten.

That's sort of the attraction of this comic for me - that at this moment, in fact every moment - you are a completely new person, and no matter what has happened in your past or what you think will happen in your future, it is only this moment that is real. So why not go for an adventure?

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:46 pm UTC

Who says escaping the mundane is beneficial to one's enjoyment in life?
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:46 pm UTC

I didn't think that it was bland or generic, I thought it was fairly interesting, even if it was par for the course in terms of content. Also, it caused Darcey to write some freakishly awesome stories, so it was worth it all around.

voraciouslaptop

Postby voraciouslaptop » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:09 am UTC

or maybe mr. Munroe has just been busy doing something adventurous in the last two days and didn't have time to think of anything stupendously original...

stuvik

If only...

Postby stuvik » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:08 am UTC

I'm in a 9 to 5 job. It's not all that interesting or fun.

I took up scuba diving since I figured that's as much a contrast as I can get apart from being an astronaut, which I'm clearly incapable of being.

...if only I met a girl that promised such 'interesting' times...
/sighs

I'm a little depressed now :?

torritorri

Postby torritorri » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:09 am UTC

this comic is pure awesome. the cable chick (who, for some strange reason, i keep thinking is Darcey) is my hero. Also, yay for clouds. :P

oh, and Darcey? i <3 ur stories. And I empathize with the teacher-not-liking-nonconformity...I've had way too many teachers like that.
AndreGiant wrote:Alien vs. Predator vs. Transformers vs. Jason Bourne vs. Terminator vs. half the cast of 300 vs. Agent Smith, on a plane, in space.

Jesster wrote:Jason Bourne would win in seven and a half minutes.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:18 am UTC

I've decided that as a hobby I'm going to be one of those NPC fellows.

That is I'm going to try and provoke people to go out and live life and go out on adventures.

I'm not sure how to do this of course. It may involve asking random strangers to go fly a kite. Or perhaps writing letters to random people telling them to have an adventure. Perhaps sticky notes stealthily hidden around.

Something.

Or maybe I'll just sit here and y'all can blame whatever adventure you get by chance on me anyway. Heh.

Edit: Unless you see some random guy dancing somewhere. That's probably me. Go dance too!
Last edited by Okita on Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Stief

Postby Stief » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:19 am UTC

I like the message this gives off...

Me and my friend want to do this one day...

(well maybe not around the world [& minus the Livejournal bit], but maybe further than we've ever walked before...I've always had a love for walking through fields, away from the hustle and bustle from towns...not that I do it often, living in the middle of a town...I don't know what's keeping us... :D BUT ONE DAY!)

Oh...and I think she may be getting sick of all the praise, but Darcey...the stories are amazing...I want to meet these characters :D

[but that would involve me creating either a machine to turn myself (and anyone else) into a stickperson...or vice versa........anyone good with blueprints?]
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:20 am UTC

Wow, Darcey can write. You definitely need to write out a full story for that. I would totally do it if you don't have the time. And bill it as "A tale of love, betrayal, revenge, and redemption". Because with a tagline like that, a plot like yours, and story-telling talent *ahem* like mine, how could it fail?

jrod

Postby jrod » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:45 am UTC

Darcey, your writing amazes me (my writing sucks). It has led me to examine this comic and a few others more carefully.

What do you think about the top left guy? I think he is frowning because he is utterly disgusted by what the company is turning into. Also he is sad because his wife recently left him for he best friend sitting below him. The man seems conflicted because he has had feelings for the girl two down, he likes her ability to seem optimistic despite what is happening, and now that his wife has left he is free to take a shot at her. But he is afraid of what others would think when he started dating so soon, when he should be an emotional wreck.

The man is contemplating just getting up and decking his best friend before leaving the company and not even taking his last pay check; just wandering off untill his car breaks down and getting a job nothing like his current one where ever that is, but his feelings for the girl hold him in place.

The one in the middle two from the bottom seems like he is evesdropping on the window guy.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Smash your TV and have adventures.

Postby Isaac Hill » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Part of the problem with adventures is finding something both spontaneous and fulfilling. As a previous poster noted, sure you could run out into the street right now, but then what? The other extreme would be the obscure play theatre troupe. It would take so much preparation, that by opening night, it would just be a new rut.

Maybe the key to a proper adventure is the unexpected. Running outside doesn't leave much room for the unexpected, since there's not much going on that you haven't seen before. The plays would have to be thoroughly rehearsed. Unfortunately, you can't really plan something unexpected; the best you can do is go somewhere where something unexpected might happen.

The closest I've come to this recently was a few months ago. I flew to Seoul, South Korea for 3 days for meetings. However, I had virtually no time for adventuring. There was one free morning, but I didn't want to go too far, or I'd spend all my free time travelling, and possibly miss the afternoon meetings. I wandered around the hotel, the underground mall/bus depot it was attached to, and the surrounding blocks. It's a modern city, and wasn't much different from wandering a large American city, other than a vague feeling of illiteracy.

However, at the airport, I found a kiosk where they were giving a lesson on traditional Korean decorative box making. Apparently, they would make boxes by gluing layers of brightly colored tissue paper together. This would take too long for people who need to catch flights, so they gave you a pre made cardboard box, 5" x 5" x 3", and had you glue the last layer of paper on. Because I was bored and curious enough to walk down the other hall of the airport, I now have a souvenier box, decorated with a mythological Korean figure, to keep my other souveniers in.

Since I'm not as talented or motivated as Darcey, I'll make this short. The guy in the lower right is happy that the word balloon is covering the scar on his head from where his siamese twin was removed just after birth.

reaimed

Postby reaimed » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:04 am UTC

You know, this is why I particularly love my job. I work in EMS, which means on an ambulance. I never know what my day will entail, or exactly who I'll meet. I could be dead by the end of my shift. Sometimes I'll go in for a regular 12 hour shift and end up working a 24 or a 36. I might do nonemergency transports, or go balls-to-the-wall lights and siren for cardiac arrests or gunshot wounds or a false call.

I love my job. That's about it.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:20 am UTC

Thank you Notch, Forther, Ren, MythGuyDK, caliman83, Master Gunner, torritorri, Stief, bbctol, jrod, and Isaac Hill. I was going to quote all of you separately but there were too many. I'm really glad you liked them. =) That's all I was looking to do, add something interesting that people would enjoy. I was worried everyone was going to think I was ruining the comic by forcing my own interpretations on you all! And instead, I get more positive feedback than I've ever gotten before in my life. So, wow.

Ren, I am going to describe the ones you requested. I promised myself I'd do some work tonight, though, so I'll write after I've done a bit.

And on the subject of looking for adventure and meeting new people, I live an adventurous life, looking to meet new people in unexpected places and talk to everyone I see who doesn't look too busy (if I can get over the fear of starting a conversation). I have been told that I make even the most mundane things seem exciting. So all of you who are looking for a bit of adventure, I exist and would love to accompany you if you are ever in NJ or NYC. (Reason I was out all evening is because I was visiting Castaway in the city! And I would love to meet everyone. I wish I had more time.)

Mat Cauthon
Doctor Baron

Postby Mat Cauthon » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:19 am UTC

Darcey wrote:LOTS OF AWESOME STUFF, AND THEN:
Maybe a little bit. I'm outgoing, I want to be a programmer, and I'm going to wear a lime green shirt tomorrow. I was worrying yesterday because I got my school schedule for next year (I'll be a high school senior) and the teacher for my favourite subject, English, turns out to be the one English teacher in the whole school who doesn't like me. I think she doesn't approve of my unusuality. She likes the regular high school kids, the ones who fit into the mold. I think by being myself I offend her in some way. I guess I might have been thinking of that unconsciously as I wrote that bit?

Suddenly you are making me regret moving from New Jersey VERY VERY much. HS senior, programmer (not too outgoing though, also more into robotics in general than coding alone) who has, until last year, had issues with English teachers who hated his style. My teacher last year I was lucky about, she loved my mini-parody of Twain in my Huck Finn essay and my sarcastic commentary on Paine...

So all of you who are looking for a bit of adventure, I exist and would love to accompany you if you are ever in NJ or NYC.

If I manage to go back to the area to visit family/friends on vacation... I would love to drop you a line and just ditch my family for a day. You know, just saying.

(Raritan NJ, near Bridgewater, if you were wondering, though I'm across the country now; also have family in... Trenton I think it was, and also in Princeton (the town, not the university itself))

But to at least pretend I'm more interested in staying on topic than mourning being on the wrong side of the country, let me say I feel lucky that my summer internship always felt sort of like an adventure. While the code work I did wasn't all that thrilling the labwork was something new and exciting every day.

EDIT: ... I just realized how incredibly creepy most of this sounded, and blame it on me being very much asleep when I wrote it. That said, I'm not going back and changing it, lest I manage to make things worse now, but let it be known that I totally did not intend for that to come out as it did.
Last edited by Mat Cauthon on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
mootinator wrote:No, assembly is difficult to read even if you do understand it.

Turns out a PC has more registers than my brain.

Invisible Queen

Postby Invisible Queen » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:33 am UTC

I get sad when I hear about people who want to change their life but think they have to win the lottery to accomplish that. Understand: It's possible to go somewhere else. As Sandman puts it, there's always the ultimate freedom, the freedom to leave. You can get up, walk away, live off the land and the friendship of strangers, go where you want to be and become what you want to be. It's hard, sure, it's always hard to change things. It's dangerous, tiresome and painful. Almost nothing worth having comes easily, and almost no adventures are fun while they last. But it's interesting.
Last edited by Invisible Queen on Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything a person can imagine is a concievable reality."

caliman83

Postby caliman83 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:34 am UTC

^^I was worried all the praise would put some kind of pressure on, and you would stop wrighting out of fear of failing to meet somesort of level of expectations we might have, youd be afraid people would hate you because you couldnt meet up. wait no that would be me. Im sure your more sain then that.
Actully from what I read you remind me of a girl I know. She make freands instantly wherever she goes. she would definitly be the kind of persion to take you out of your mundain life and spice it up. That a rare quality.

Oh and darcey, are you going to be that computer programmer whom is secritly wrighting a novel on her spare time?

I guess I should actully comment on the comic; I love this one because. well we all wish some mysterious girl(or guy) will come and take us on some adventure. I know there have been other comics with the same idea, Ill have to search the archives.
I Dont Know

LordIllidan

Re: Smash your TV and have adventures.

Postby LordIllidan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:48 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:(Snipp'd because PSPs suck with text input)

ahem... As another XKCD strip put it...

FUCK

THAT

SHIT.

In your post (which is, sadly, too long for my tiny PSP to handle), you say just running into the street isn't enough. Why not? I live in Temecula relatively near the I-15, and it's always been my dream to watch the moon from atop the mountains that surround that area. Especially on a night like tonight, with an eclipse drawing near. Is that not enough adventure for you?

dosboot

Postby dosboot » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:19 am UTC

In the carpenter/old lady story, am I the only one who imagined the student with the shapely legs to be the daughter of the woman? I was waiting for that to be revealed at the end but it didn't turn out that way.

Rusty

Postby Rusty » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:10 am UTC

dosboot wrote:In the carpenter/old lady story, am I the only one who imagined the student with the shapely legs to be the daughter of the woman? I was waiting for that to be revealed at the end but it didn't turn out that way.

I thought it too, but I'm just not sure the timing fits the way Darcey originally wrote it:
Darcey wrote:Eventually she married a carpenter whom she met while on a walk through the park. They met and fell in love and she forgot the man with the deepset eyes. Meanwhile, as he taught in the school, he met a student...

That to me seems like the man with the deepset eyes met the high school girl at the same time as the woman met and was dating the carpenter, not leaving enough time for them to have a girl and wait however many years it is for her to start high school.

Of course, reading that deeply into something that was probably written as it was thought and then barely edited is pretty silly of me. But silly isn't always bad, right? Besides, changing two words and maybe adding another 10 or so would let the high school girl be the woman's daughter by the carpenter, and then we have another interesting facet to an already intriguing tale.

Having said all that, the other possibility is that the woman with the shapely legs, while still working with the man with the deepset eyes, got too frustrated at not being able to talk to him and got a little too drunk at a bar one night. There a man hit on her, and although she found his personality fairly repulsive, he had those same deepset eyes as the man she worked with, and they had a meaningless one-night stand which resulted in her becoming pregnant, which in turn led to the man with deepset eyes becoming heartbroken and leaving the company. And 14 years later, when he gets his new class in high school... etc.

You know, or not.

grythyttan
Location: Hncwhxagykozzqlif azefkbtvw. Kjkd sb, ypwyw eg tdpm.

Postby grythyttan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:41 am UTC

I don't think this comic is too generic, I think it is something we need to be reminded of from time to time. At least I do. After each comic on this subject I go out and do some new things and as time goes by it takes more time to fall back in my old tracks.

And darcey, your stories are amazing! I can't wait for the next one.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:10 am UTC

Rusty wrote:
dosboot wrote:In the carpenter/old lady story, am I the only one who imagined the student with the shapely legs to be the daughter of the woman? I was waiting for that to be revealed at the end but it didn't turn out that way.

I thought it too, but I'm just not sure the timing fits the way Darcey originally wrote it:
Darcey wrote:Eventually she married a carpenter whom she met while on a walk through the park. They met and fell in love and she forgot the man with the deepset eyes. Meanwhile, as he taught in the school, he met a student...

That to me seems like the man with the deepset eyes met the high school girl at the same time as the woman met and was dating the carpenter, not leaving enough time for them to have a girl and wait however many years it is for her to start high school.

Of course, reading that deeply into something that was probably written as it was thought and then barely edited is pretty silly of me. But silly isn't always bad, right? Besides, changing two words and maybe adding another 10 or so would let the high school girl be the woman's daughter by the carpenter, and then we have another interesting facet to an already intriguing tale.

Having said all that, the other possibility is that the woman with the shapely legs, while still working with the man with the deepset eyes, got too frustrated at not being able to talk to him and got a little too drunk at a bar one night. There a man hit on her, and although she found his personality fairly repulsive, he had those same deepset eyes as the man she worked with, and they had a meaningless one-night stand which resulted in her becoming pregnant, which in turn led to the man with deepset eyes becoming heartbroken and leaving the company. And 14 years later, when he gets his new class in high school... etc.

You know, or not.

The thing is, I didn't write the story. I wrote the characters and they lived their lives and I dutifully transcribed their stories. In real life a coincidence like that would be too strange, too fabricated to make for an interesting story.

And the one-night stand seems a bit out of character for her, but what do I know? I didn't write the character to keep her for myself and mold her life to my desires. I wrote her so that she would be a three-dimensional, real, living person, not just a flat stick figure in a drawing. So if you want her to have had that one-night stand, maybe she did. I wouldn't know. I'll have to ask her.

...this is all so confusing. I don't even know what I'm trying to explain to myself anymore. XD But I have promised some more of these. *goes to read what's been written so far and think of some more*

Edit: I almost forgot. Mat Cauthon, I am teh sorry for making you sad. =( I was trying to make people happy with that post but of course unforeseen circumstances destroyed my little plan as always. Like carefully building a small wooden boat, and then when you put it in the river so you can watch is float down the stream, it collides with a log and sinks. If you are ever in NJ again, please contact me! I'm in Bridgewater fairly frequently, at the mall. (I hate malls though. But I know where Bridgewater is.)

TheKhakinator
the next small girl on KRNT radio

Re: Smash your TV and have adventures.

Postby TheKhakinator » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:48 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:Maybe the key to a proper adventure is the unexpected. Running outside doesn't leave much room for the unexpected, since there's not much going on that you haven't seen before. The plays would have to be thoroughly rehearsed. Unfortunately, you can't really plan something unexpected; the best you can do is go somewhere where something unexpected might happen.

Yeah, but the more you adventure and go places where something unexpected might happen, the higher probability something will. Besides, adventuring doesn't mean something unexpected has to happen. Just something cool.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”