1320:"Walmart"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jpk

1320:"Walmart"

Postby jpk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:44 am UTC

title="What I really want is to hang out where I hung out with my friends in college, but have all my older relatives there too."

I think the big mistake is thinking that you can "hang out" or "interact" on a web site.

keithl

Re: 1320:"Walmart"

Postby keithl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:00 am UTC

So what is the cylinder under his arm? From the little curl hanging down on the left, and the glowing thing at the bottom of the cylinder on the right, I'm guessing it is a cylindrical cage, containing a molpy with a glowing nose.
Attachments
molpy.png
Is this a molpy in a cylindrical cage?
molpy.png (7.95 KiB) Viewed 13273 times

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:01 am UTC

I get a terrible image of everyone posting updates to their Facebook Walmarts.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:51 am UTC

Anyone else do that thing of "I'm doing such a small shop, I don't even need a basket"? On the occasions when I take a basket, I really needed a trolley and end up with deep grooves in my hands. When I take a trolley, I end up with more than I can carry home in my 80 litre rucksack.

My first thought for the cylinder was one of those multipacks containing a shrink-wrapped pile of tinned tuna.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

LtPowers

Postby LtPowers » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:05 pm UTC

"What I really want is to hang out where I hung out with my friends in college, but have all my older relatives there too."

I'm assuming Randall was being sarcastic here, but this isn't too far off from my actual thinking.

Powers &8^]

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:11 pm UTC

"hang out in Walmart" ... eeeewww. I get the shakes and feel nauseated at the very concept.

LMK when there's a website equivalent of hanging out at a classy raw seafood bar that has 20 different single malts and 50 different microbrews.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:02 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:"hang out in Walmart" ... eeeewww. I get the shakes and feel nauseated at the very concept.

LMK when there's a website equivalent of hanging out at a classy raw seafood bar that has 20 different single malts and 50 different microbrews.

Really, single malt with raw seafood? I mean, I'm a big fan of both but have never considered combining them. Am I missing out?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:41 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
cellocgw wrote:"hang out in Walmart" ... eeeewww. I get the shakes and feel nauseated at the very concept.

Really, single malt with raw seafood? I mean, I'm a big fan of both but have never considered combining them. Am I missing out?

I'd pretty much stick w/ the microbrews, but you know the song: "One bourbon, one Scotch, and one beer... and a plate of Beausoleils" :mrgreen:
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Someguy945

Postby Someguy945 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:30 pm UTC

Dating sites, however, really need to take the opposite advice.

We have dating sites for specific religions, dating sites for farmers, dating sites for circus clowns, etc. It needs to stop. THIS IS NOT HOW DATABASES WORK.

If you only want to date farmers, that's fine. You don't need a dating site that only has farmers on it. You need a dating site that lets you search for farmers, and/or lets you specify that only farmers can search for you.

jowo

Postby jowo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:49 pm UTC

LtPowers wrote:"What I really want is to hang out where I hung out with my friends in college, but have all my older relatives there too."

I'm assuming Randall was being sarcastic here, but this isn't too far off from my actual thinking.

Hmmm. In my universe it's largely the younger relatives and my high school friends. & college friends, to be sure, but it's the HS friends who are generally more active.
It's about Time....

EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:49 pm UTC

jowo wrote:
LtPowers wrote:"What I really want is to hang out where I hung out with my friends in college, but have all my older relatives there too."

Hmmm. In my universe it's largely the younger relatives and my high school friends. & college friends, to be sure, but it's the HS friends who are generally more active.

I took that as a reference to Facebook. Isn't that the one which started as a campus-only thing, but then expanded to the general public and is now populated by everyone and their great-grandparents?

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:21 pm UTC

OK, I really don't get this comic. Help me, please?

I mean, obviously it means more than the obvious tautology, but I really don't see what.

For the record, I realize that a lot of people claim to hate Wal*Mart, but I've never gotten that. Yes, Wal*Mart puts small businesses out of business because they can't compete, but that's capitalism at work, and it's the way it should be. People are free to still go to mom-and-pop shops, but I happen to love the convenience of Wal*Mart combining the (1) Clothing Store, (2) Grocery Store (which earlier had combined the (2a) butcher, (2b) baker, (2c) dry goods store, (2d) deli, etc.), (3) hardware store, (4) toy store, (5) pharmacy, (6) plant nursery, (7) electronics store, (8) sporting goods store, and (9) auto garage. (And shoes, and lamps, and appliances, and curtains, and candy - the list goes on and on.) And usually with a bank, fast-food restaurant, barbershop, and optician co-located as well. Other people hate going to Wal*Mart because it is always crowded, but that just proves that lots of people like going there, or at least treat it as a necessary evil.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:24 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote: I happen to love the convenience of Wal*Mart combining the (1) Clothing Store, (2) Grocery Store (which earlier had combined the (2a) butcher, (2b) baker, (2c) dry goods store, (2d) deli, etc.), (3) hardware store, (4) toy store, (5) pharmacy, (6) plant nursery, (7) electronics store, (8) sporting goods store, and (9) auto garage. (And shoes, and lamps, and appliances, and curtains, and candy - the list goes on and on.)

Or as one of their predecessors in the "one-stop retail" niche was supposed to have put it: Turtles, Girdles and Yo-yos.

J L

Postby J L » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:30 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:OK, I really don't get this comic. Help me, please?

I mean, obviously it means more than the obvious tautology, but I really don't see what.

For the record, I realize that a lot of people claim to hate Wal*Mart ...

It's not so much about Walmart, it's about random people you run into while shopping, no matter where. Just because you know them from somewhere doesn't mean you want to chat or hang out with them, at least not right there and at that point of time.

Morgan Wick

Postby Morgan Wick » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:14 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:Dating sites, however, really need to take the opposite advice.

We have dating sites for specific religions, dating sites for farmers, dating sites for circus clowns, etc. It needs to stop. THIS IS NOT HOW DATABASES WORK.

If you only want to date farmers, that's fine. You don't need a dating site that only has farmers on it. You need a dating site that lets you search for farmers, and/or lets you specify that only farmers can search for you.

I think part of the problem is that, even if you can filter your dating pool down to just Christians, a site with non-Christians might be "tainted" by the mere presence of heathens on it. You go to a generic dating site you probably just get people who filled in "Christian" on the religion field because that's what best fit, but if you go to ChristianMingle you're more likely to get a Real True Christian(tm).

But that doesn't explain the proliferation of race-centric dating sites... maybe you only want to date someone as closed-minded as you, because heaven forbid you date someone who thinks white people might be vaguely okay?

Really, by the same token as you bring up, the real problem with dating sites is, if you're using Match how do you know your soulmate isn't using eHarmony? And most of the big dating sites charge, so if you put your profile on all of them it can get expensive. We need to develop one universal dating site that covers everyone's use cases.

mathmannix wrote:Yes, Wal*Mart puts small businesses out of business because they can't compete, but that's capitalism at work, and it's the way it should be. People are free to still go to mom-and-pop shops, but I happen to love the convenience of Wal*Mart combining the (1) Clothing Store, (2) Grocery Store (which earlier had combined the (2a) butcher, (2b) baker, (2c) dry goods store, (2d) deli, etc.), (3) hardware store, (4) toy store, (5) pharmacy, (6) plant nursery, (7) electronics store, (8) sporting goods store, and (9) auto garage. (And shoes, and lamps, and appliances, and curtains, and candy - the list goes on and on.) And usually with a bank, fast-food restaurant, barbershop, and optician co-located as well. Other people hate going to Wal*Mart because it is always crowded, but that just proves that lots of people like going there, or at least treat it as a necessary evil.

But! But Walmart is a big, monolithic corporation that only cares about profit and commoditizes what used to be an experience built on relationships and doing what mom and pop liked to do instead of collecting a paycheck or doing nothing but cold calculations based on spreadsheets and they don't let its workers unionize and...

LtPowers

Postby LtPowers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:57 am UTC

EpicanicusStrikes wrote:
jowo wrote:

I took that as a reference to Facebook. Isn't that the one which started as a campus-only thing, but then expanded to the general public and is now populated by everyone and their great-grandparents?

The whole comic is a reference to Facebook.

Powers &8^]

JustDoug

Postby JustDoug » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:44 am UTC

IFor the record, I realize that a lot of people claim to hate Wal*Mart ... Other people hate going to Wal*Mart because it is always crowded, but that just proves that lots of people like going there, or at least treat it as a necessary evil.

The word you're missing in developing your concept of WalMart is "cheap". That does not merely refer to the price of merchandise, but also quality, experience, selection, treatment of employees and customers, etc. It embodies CHEAP in all the word's many meanings.

Most of those meanings are not thought of as being very positive things.

That is why many people dislike WalMart, or so I believe.

FOARP

Postby FOARP » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:14 am UTC

Meh . . all my older relatives are dead/not on Facebook - my dad's the only exception. I don't use Facebook for saying shady stuff anyway (not that I have any shady stuff to say) so I don't see the problem here.

serutan

Postby serutan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:23 am UTC

Funny this comes out now, as there's been a study using an infectious disease model saying Facebook will lose 80% of its
users by 2017:

http://io9.com/researchers-predict-face ... +%28io9%29
For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

DanAxtell

Postby DanAxtell » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:15 pm UTC

For the record, I realize that a lot of people claim to hate Wal*Mart...

Yeah, we claim to hate Walmart, but we'll shop there when convenient and then be embarrassed when our faces and hypocrisy are recognized. The Onion documented this syndrome well in a 2011 video.. I believe that this comic sees Facebook as an emerging analogy. I also believe that 1320 is the last comic number that is a product of 3 consecutive integers that we'll see until August 3, 2016. I'm more confident about that second statement than the first one.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:35 pm UTC

That post is enlightening.
The Onion is amazing.

Culture!
It is one of our best things.
It can be used to hurt us and others.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:04 pm UTC

Morgan Wick wrote:I think part of the problem is that, even if you can filter your dating pool down to just Christians, a site with non-Christians might be "tainted" by the mere presence of heathens on it. You go to a generic dating site you probably just get people who filled in "Christian" on the religion field because that's what best fit, but if you go to ChristianMingle you're more likely to get a Real True Christian(tm).

...because that's how people work.

Yes: ne'er-do-wells that are looking to scam people that have advertised themselves as being trusting souls can practice their fleecing on either a dedicated site or a site that caters for all ...but if you have all the flock in one place, it does make them easier to find.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:00 pm UTC

Morgan Wick wrote:I think part of the problem is that, even if you can filter your dating pool down to just Christians, a site with non-Christians might be "tainted" by the mere presence of heathens on it. You go to a generic dating site you probably just get people who filled in "Christian" on the religion field because that's what best fit, but if you go to ChristianMingle you're more likely to get a Real True Christian(tm).

If you visit FSM-dating.com, you're not only restricting your dating pool to pastafarians, but to those who are interested in being filtered out of the general population as a pastafarian.

Of course, one big problem with generic dating sites is not that you can't filter your own searches down to just "Christians" but that your ability to filter incoming contact is going to be pretty limited - by default, dating sites want members to be able to contact each other - that's how they generate success stories and attract new members - so filtering users by secondary or more minor features is just not something that's going to come up...

Hafting

Postby Hafting » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:23 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:Dating sites, however, really need to take the opposite advice.

So true, but "this is how farmers, circus clowns, and other non-IT people work." They have no idea on how to set up a query, and don't want to try. They just join the farmer's dating site and start searching from a minimal profile.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:05 am UTC

Hafting wrote:

So true, but "this is how farmers, circus clowns, and other non-IT people work." They have no idea on how to set up a query, and don't want to try. They just join the farmer's dating site and start searching from a minimal profile.

http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_webb_how_i ... ating.html
That woman knows and is willing to tell, too.
That would not help me.

I don't program. I don't do information trees.
She Did! Or; So, she says.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:19 am UTC

Hafting wrote:

I was thinking something along these lines earlier. The specialized dating sites exist for marketing, not technical, purposes.

The obvious technical solution is for one site to maintain a top-notch general-purpose dating engine which allows for customizable searches and visibility to narrow down the type of people you want to see and who you want to see you -- and then sell access to that with pre-customized accounts under a bunch of different names for marketing purposes. Hell, different companies can run the different front-ends (and twerk the pre-customization of accounts they generate), and license access to the back-end from the original, general-purpose site (who can also have a general-purpose front-end for people who aren't certain that they only want to see and be seen by other circus clowns, etc).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

canoemoose

Postby canoemoose » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:41 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Hafting wrote:

I was thinking something along these lines earlier. The specialized dating sites exist for marketing, not technical, purposes.

The obvious technical solution is for one site to maintain a top-notch general-purpose dating engine which allows for customizable searches and visibility to narrow down the type of people you want to see and who you want to see you -- and then sell access to that with pre-customized accounts under a bunch of different names for marketing purposes. Hell, different companies can run the different front-ends (and twerk the pre-customization of accounts they generate), and license access to the back-end from the original, general-purpose site (who can also have a general-purpose front-end for people who aren't certain that they only want to see and be seen by other circus clowns, etc).

According to this (admittedly third-hand, unverified, extremely anecdotal) source, many of the "specific" dating sites already do this...

http://28dateslater.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/date-13-sleazy-hookup.html - scroll to 6th comment
22/Male/Female/Single/Yep
(Age/Gender/Interested in/Status/Don't you hate people who just jump on the bandwagon)

Windows 7, Server 2008R2, Ubuntu, Android, iOS user

hujackus

Postby hujackus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:33 am UTC

Someguy945 wrote:We have dating sites for specific religions, dating sites for farmers, dating sites for circus clowns, etc. It needs to stop. THIS IS NOT HOW DATABASES WORK.

Checkout http://www.dateabase.com for a internet dating site that is more database friendly.
If you get a 404 or domain-for-sale placeholder, take the opportunity to start a company and use the name.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:17 am UTC

I just wanted to say that I didn't get this comic at the time. Running past it as I viewed the archive, I finally got it. It's about how when you're in Walmart and you just want to shop for things and leave, maybe seeing someone you like, too, but you see lots of people you really don't want to run in to, because everyone goes there. The comic is saying that big sites are just like this. I'm not on Facebook partially for this reason. If I wanted to interact with any single person in particular I could just talk to them privately.

Yeah, I'm proud that I finally got it (without looking it up). lol.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”