1331: "Frequency"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

stianhat

Re: Phoenix?

Postby stianhat » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:21 pm UTC

brazzy wrote:Wait - people in Phoenix buy shoes more often than they use condoms?

Two feet, one penis?

bhamv

Re: 1331: "Frequency"

Postby bhamv » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:26 pm UTC

I misread it at first as "A European Union President has their first kiss" and thought, "Wow, the EU goes through a lot of presidents. Either that or some European politicians are lying scumbags."

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:30 pm UTC

sonar1313 wrote:Looked at another way, there are 31,531,600 seconds in a year - divided by nine you get 3.5 million. That's about the US output of just one large automaker such as Ford or GM, maybe less than the full output.

Where do you get that figure? This page states the total number of cars produced in the US was 2.7 million in 2010.

Divide the number of seconds by 2.7 million and you get one car out every 11½ seconds —a lower frequency than the gif shows.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:35 pm UTC

stianhat wrote:
brazzy wrote:Wait - people in Phoenix buy shoes more often than they use condoms?

Two feet, one penis?

Half a penis actually, on average.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:51 pm UTC

Showsni wrote:
OlfJodokus wrote:The number of stolen bicycles seems to be wrong, doesn't it? It blinks once every 20 seconds, but googling for some statistics shows that even in Europe more bikes are stolen than that

According to http://stats.stolen-bikes.co.uk/stats.php there are about 550,000 bikes stolen per year in the UK alone. The 20 second rate would mean that about a third of all bikes stolen in the world are in the UK; which does seem remarkably high!

Maybe the frequency is jsut referring to one particularly proficient bike thief. ;)

And another third in the Netherlands apparently Western Europe is a hotspot for bicycle theft :P. Then again, a quick look around on duckduckgo shows that Northern and Western Europe are also very bicycle intensive compared to other areas, although I expect there to be more bicycles in China due to population size and relative number of bicycles. I agree, the frequency seems underestimated.
Djehutynakht wrote:
stib wrote:
nthj wrote:This is the kind of comic that originally got me interested in xkcd. Beautiful and ephemeral. Thanks :)

I'd say they're the opposite of ephemeral. Beautiful and timeless.

Not necessarily. The death rate could go up or (hopefully) down.

Considering the higher birthrate, I think any durable reduction in death rate is highly unlikely. We all die at some point...
RogueCynic wrote:Has anyone seen the "someone in North Dakota has sex" square blink?

It's not that rare really, although I have no idea how many people live in North Dakota.
stianhat wrote:

Two feet, one penis?

A condom also services two people on average. I do think the "buys new shoes" generally accounts for at least two shoes bought, as they are often sold in pairs. It lists the frequency of buying, not number bought each time after all.

EDIT: Ninja'd
bhamv wrote:I misread it at first as "A European Union President has their first kiss" and thought, "Wow, the EU goes through a lot of presidents. Either that or some European politicians are lying scumbags."

Well, they are politicians...

PsiSquared

Postby PsiSquared » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:57 pm UTC

sonar1313 wrote:I suppose at some point the nitpicking was going to begin, so I might as well help it along. First, I wonder whether "The US builds a car" means the Big 3 automakers, or plants located in the US. I'll guess the latter. The frequency given is once every nine seconds.

The frequency given in the comic is actually once every seven seconds.

Flumble wrote:Where do you get that figure? This page states the total number of cars produced in the US was 2.7 million in 2010.

Divide the number of seconds by 2.7 million and you get one car out every 11½ seconds —a lower frequency than the gif shows.

Well, according to this site the US produced 2.27 million cars in the first six months of 2013. Doubling this and dividing by 31536000, we get one car in 7 seconds - right on the nose. This was the first relevant google hit I got for "US CARS PRODUCED 2013" so it is likely that Randall got his information from there.

The question remains, however, which of the two sites we've given is in error. I find it very hard to believe that the US nearly doubled its car production rate between 2010 and 2013.

abkfenris

Postby abkfenris » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:03 pm UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Has anyone seen the "someone in North Dakota has sex" square blink?

Yes, and it's kinda terrifying me that it blinks about a third as often as "One Birth".

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:27 pm UTC

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:31 pm UTC

Well it was 5.40am there.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:36 pm UTC

PsiSquared wrote:
sonar1313 wrote:I suppose at some point the nitpicking was going to begin, so I might as well help it along. First, I wonder whether "The US builds a car" means the Big 3 automakers, or plants located in the US. I'll guess the latter. The frequency given is once every nine seconds.

Flumble wrote:Where do you get that figure? This page states the total number of cars produced in the US was 2.7 million in 2010.

Well, according to this site the US produced 2.27 million cars in the first six months of 2013. Doubling this and dividing by 31536000, we get one car in 7 seconds - right on the nose. This was the first relevant google hit I got for "US CARS PRODUCED 2013" so it is likely that Randall got his information from there.

The question remains, however, which of the two sites we've given is in error. I find it very hard to believe that the US nearly doubled its car production rate between 2010 and 2013.

It's not totally unbelievable. US car sales in 2010 were about 11.5 million and in 2013 about 15.6 million or thereabouts. About a 35% increase. Doesn't account for doubling the car production, but there's certainly been a solid uptick.

At any rate, I still think both numbers are low. The sales figures at http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/ford-f-series-sales-figures.html say that the Camry, Accord, and F-150 - all assembled in the US - sold over 1.5 million combined in 2013. That's just three models among the many that are built here. I can look up the rest later.

But with 15.6 million sales in 2013 (source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/strong-u-auto-sales-2013-184039333.html;_ylt=A0LEVwx8DAJTj0gAv_ZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEzOWM5aGFoBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDM2NV8x) 2/3 of them aren't imported, that much is sure. Perhaps 1/3 of them are.

EDIT: Perhaps the distinction lies in the definition of "production"; the site you gave will not count a car as produced in a country if too many parts came from outside it. I have no idea where to find good statistics for that, that would cover every example. I'm just going by assembly plants and looking for an explanation of the discrepancy. I'm working on numbers based on the sales data at goodcarbadcar, so we'll see what I come up with, but I suspect the number will be quite a bit higher than 5.4 million.
Last edited by sonar1313 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:39 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:Coincidentally, last night I was trying to remember what kind of creature Pegasus was - is there an actual proper description other than just "winged horse"?

Go to google and type in "define:pegasus". That'll soak up the next hour or two of your time. :wink:

Morgan Wick

Postby Morgan Wick » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:44 pm UTC

PsiSquared wrote:

Well, keep in mind how screwed up the US auto industry was for a while there...

PsiSquared

Postby PsiSquared » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:54 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:This would be a LOT more impressive as a single .gif. The length would have to be the lowest common denominator of all of them, and with the 91 minute timer on old faithful that would probably require several days of gif frames.

Oddly enough, a 6-hour cycle would be sufficient, due to a nice coincidence: Old Faithful and the Mag 4 Earthquakes have a period ratio of exactly 4 : 9.

So we can set up a 364 minute cycle, In which Old Faithful lights up 4 times and Mag 4 Earthquakes light up 9 times. Mag 3 Earthquakes would light up 90 times. And all the shorter periods are either short enough or inaccurate enough to fit ANY hours-long cycle with reasonable accuracy.

The downside is, that for smooth animation, such a gif would need to be updated 10-30 times a second, which translates to 218400-655200 frames overall. I doubt many browsers would be able to deal with such a monstrous animated gif in real-time.

GazongaGizmo

Postby GazongaGizmo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:07 pm UTC

Frequency of someone wanting to download this gif so as to implement it as his background, then cursing for realizing that it is lots of gifs tiled next to each other:

-bing-

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:28 pm UTC

Dontget wrote:It would be really cool to assign appropriate sound samples to each of these and create a sort of minimalist piece of music out of the chance coincidences of these events.

And then the missing pilots come out, and then the aliens appear, and then they take Richard Dreyfuss with them.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:35 pm UTC

Awesome. Again Randall manages to take every day data and show it in a surprising and insightful manner. He really excels at these kind of comics (which aren't really comics I guess, more like infographics) comics.

We need a few more wikipedia edits to be able to record every (human) death on this planet. Awesome.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

suso

Postby suso » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:43 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Can't wait for the poster

I wanted to make my own one right away, but the the printout won't flash :(

Finally, a real use for those digital picture frames I got for christmas. Thanks Randall.
Imagine theres no signatures....

TG333

Postby TG333 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:45 pm UTC

Surprisingly many bald eagles out there
I don't wanna hear your excuses! The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:49 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Showsni wrote:
OlfJodokus wrote:The number of stolen bicycles seems to be wrong, doesn't it? It blinks once every 20 seconds, but googling for some statistics shows that even in Europe more bikes are stolen than that

According to http://stats.stolen-bikes.co.uk/stats.php there are about 550,000 bikes stolen per year in the UK alone. The 20 second rate would mean that about a third of all bikes stolen in the world are in the UK; which does seem remarkably high!

Maybe the frequency is jsut referring to one particularly proficient bike thief. ;)

And another third in the Netherlands apparently

Actually those are only officialy reported thefts. Most people in The Netherlands never bother to report a stolen bike (since the odds of getting your bike back are essentially zero). An estimated 1.5 million bicycles are stolen in The Netherlands every year. So the comic is definitely wrong on this one. Perhaps it's bikes stolen in the US alone?

Though it wouldn't even surprise me if a significant percentage of all bikes stolen worldwide were stolen in The Netherlands. Not only do we have many more bikes per capita than any other country, we also are exceptionally careless with them. Among students it is quite normal to lose several bikes each year to theft. Most of them are stolen by drug addicts, for whom it is an easy and relative risk-free source of income. Most stolen bikes are bought by people who just had their bike stolen and need to get home (a neat circle). Obviously these aren't high-quality bikes - people who own expensive bikes generally guard them better.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:52 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
stianhat wrote:

Two feet, one penis?

Half a penis actually, on average.

And the ones with no penis tend to buy more shoes.

Comparisons are rife with complications.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:00 pm UTC

stianhat wrote:
Two feet, one penis?
Lots of wealthy retired couples in Phoenix. A lot of guilty husbands taking their wives shoe shopping after they make a different kind of shopping trip in the red light district.

sonar1313

Postby sonar1313 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:19 pm UTC

PsiSquared wrote:

OK, so I took a more detailed look.

First, here is a list of automotive assembly plants in the US, listing which cars are built here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_assembly_plants_in_the_United_States

Second, here is the car sales data from goodcarbadcar.net. I do not think there is a better such listing anywhere. Linked below is data for the Ford Escape, built in Kentucky. There is a pull-down menu on the right for any car make and model you desire.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/ford-escape-sales-figures.html

I simply took each model listed as being built in the US and looked up the sales data for 2013 for each. I made some adjustments - many models are built at multiple plants. I assumed that if a model is built both here and overseas, all the ones sold here were built here with no imports. If a model is built both here and in Mexico or Canada, I used the appropriate fraction since NAFTA makes it easy to ship cars back and forth. For example, the Ford Fusion is built both in the US and Mexico, so I attributed half the Fusion sales to the US plant as a simple shortcut.

23 brands build 90 different models in the US. The total number of cars built in the US: slightly over 9.6 million, meaning a car every 3.3 seconds. (So I'm not too far off by guessing that about 1/3 of cars sold in the US come from outside its borders.) I think this is a far more credible number than 2.7 million or 4.6 million. Again, a plant pumps out a new car every 60-90 seconds, easily verified by forking over a few dollars to watch them do it at the Rouge plant in Dearborn. With a total of 46 plants, it wouldn't make sense to drop the number all the way to 11 or even 7 seconds.

What I haven't even included is cars built in the US for export - surely a large number of these cars are shipped to Canada and Mexico and even overseas. This particular example only puts a tiny dent in the number, but every so often a Chevy Volt rolls off the line with an Opel badge instead, for sale in Europe. This is to say nothing of, oh, say, the 18,000 Camrys sold in Canada but built in the US. Nor did I bother with commercially-intended vehicles like the Mercedes Sprinter or Ford Transit.

Bottom line: I'm convinced the number of cars made in the US is much closer to once every 3 seconds. From 7 to 3, that's a huge difference in volume required to move the needle that much. It's really astounding when you think about it and the comic .gif does a really nice job of illustrating it - especially if it blinked every three seconds. 1....2....3.... some car company just made $30,000. Count to ten.... the auto industry just made more money than most people do in a year.

david_h

Postby david_h » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:48 pm UTC

Ow, my internets!

Dude... a little Javascript with GIF as a fallback next time maybe?

warspite

Postby warspite » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:51 pm UTC

Due to my remarkably slow internet connection, each of the individual gifs loaded with a 10-second delay between. One after the other, beginning their pulsing by and by.

It was basically magnificent.

cream wobbly

Postby cream wobbly » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

Psykar wrote:
baf wrote:The flashing also wasn't happening when I viewed the image as part of my RSS feed. I was confused until I looked at the rollover text and saw the mention of "gif format".
Pretty much exactly what I did.
I guess it would be a little hard to embed them all in an RSS properly :\

Or HTML for that matter. It just sits there, does nothing. In a browser. Pretty much what I expect a web comic to do, i.e., be readable rather than flashy. I think xkcd's coming off my daily bookmarks after a stint of a few years. Just not amusing (in the many dictionary senses) any more.

16characters

Postby 16characters » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:22 pm UTC

I am glad I visited the forum - I didn't realise that I had to turn on image animation and thought that these were arranged by frequency. It looked strange.

I am puzzled by "someone gets married" - shouldn't it flash twice each cycle?

Hmm_Peculiar

Postby Hmm_Peculiar » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:24 pm UTC

Someone on reddit had this idea.

Making every pulse play a different note.

The births could be happy, high-pitched pings and the deaths dark, low-pitched booms.
The plastic bottles could be some kind of plasticy percussive sound, same with the iPhone breaking. The domain registrations are a computer beep. The Earthquakes are just rumble. This could turn out great!

Edit: it would also make sense with the title of the comic
Last edited by Hmm_Peculiar on Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:35 pm UTC

16characters wrote:I am glad I visited the forum - I didn't realise that I had to turn on image animation and thought that these were arranged by frequency. It looked strange.

It flashes twice simultaneously.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:48 pm UTC

I've been married for nearly thirteen years. My wife used to be on The Pill, I had The Snip nine years ago. In the time we've been married, we've bought some sort of footwear every year. More than one pair each, I'd say. Work shoes, sneakers, sandals, insulated boots for the snow, those gardening clogs she likes, flip-flops for swimming or for the beach.

Condoms? Haven't worn a condom since before the vasectomy. 20.2% of people in the United States are 14 and under - I'd think the shoe sale numbers for these growing whippersnappers far outstrips condom use. 12.8% of people are over 65 - how much condom use is there with the menopausal and incapable-without-medication?!?

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:50 pm UTC

Hmm_Peculiar wrote:The plastic bottles could be some kind of plasticy percussive sound

Why not crushing plastic bottles sound (like when you prepare to throw them away) for the recycling one?
SecondTalon wrote:
16characters wrote:I am glad I visited the forum - I didn't realise that I had to turn on image animation and thought that these were arranged by frequency. It looked strange.

It flashes twice simultaneously.

This would explain a lot of things if it were true for more of them.

MikeP

Postby MikeP » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:26 pm UTC

Does the "Someone gets married" count each person in the couple as a someone, or is the combined couple the tick for the someone?

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:29 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:
SomeoneSomewhere wrote:Yeah, I don't exactly pay attention to horoscopes... For some reason I thought that a Sagittarius was some extinct creature.

Coincidentally, last night I was trying to remember what kind of creature Pegasus was - is there an actual proper description other than just "winged horse"?

I thought Pegasus was a pegasus, with pegasi as a plural form?

Like calling your pet cat Cat.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

eidako

Postby eidako » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:34 pm UTC

Code: Select all

<title>Note on today's xkcd</title><link>http://xkcd.com/1331</link><description>Sorry, due to the unusual nature of today's comic, you may just have seen a static image in your feed reader, but you can check out the full comic &lt;a href="http://xkcd.com/1331/"&gt;here&lt;/a&gt;!&lt;br&gt;-Randall</description>

Cue Firefox users who use Live Bookmarks to ask why there's a "Note on today's xkcd" update that just points to the comic (Firefox doesn't display the description).

rebmcr

Postby rebmcr » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:44 pm UTC

eidako wrote:

Code: Select all

<title>Note on today's xkcd</title><link>http://xkcd.com/1331</link><description>Sorry, due to the unusual nature of today's comic, you may just have seen a static image in your feed reader, but you can check out the full comic &lt;a href="http://xkcd.com/1331/"&gt;here&lt;/a&gt;!&lt;br&gt;-Randall</description>

Cue Firefox users who use Live Bookmarks to ask why there's a "Note on today's xkcd" update that just points to the comic (Firefox doesn't display the description).

That's the reason I'm here!

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:45 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:
CharlieP wrote:
SomeoneSomewhere wrote:Yeah, I don't exactly pay attention to horoscopes... For some reason I thought that a Sagittarius was some extinct creature.

Coincidentally, last night I was trying to remember what kind of creature Pegasus was - is there an actual proper description other than just "winged horse"?

I thought Pegasus was a pegasus, with pegasi as a plural form?

Like calling your pet cat Cat.

Pegasus was a unique entity - at the time, he had no "kind". Subsequent writers have labelled the kind "pegasi" rather than sticking with the more pedestrian "winged horse" but Pegasus as conceived was not "a pegasus" but just "Pegasus".

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:33 pm UTC

And "pegasi" is an improper plural no matter how you slice it because the name is Greek, not Roman.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

rm_draws_better_than_me

Postby rm_draws_better_than_me » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:55 pm UTC

Is the "Hole in one" gif broken for anyone else?

I downloaded it and it looks like it should flash 1/71 times (seconds?) but I never see it flash in the browser.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:01 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:And "pegasi" is an improper plural no matter how you slice it because the name is Greek, not Roman.

That's pretty debateable. One could make a very reasonable argument that Pegasus is the Latin version of the Greek Pēgasos. And the Latin Pegasus was second declension, making pegasi the proper pluralization.

r00t

Postby r00t » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:04 pm UTC

So, when will they sync?

sellyme

Postby sellyme » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:And "pegasi" is an improper plural no matter how you slice it because the name is Greek, not Roman.

Fortunately, we're not speaking Greek here, so the correct way to pluralise the word in Greek isn't particularly relevant.
Sellyme is a je- Wait no.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”