1333: First Date

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jackpot777

Re: 1333: First Date

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:22 pm UTC

sonicspin wrote:
Dopefish wrote:This phenomenon has reached xkcd?

Man, my brother first casually referenced it earlier this week and I hadn't heard of it, and now pretty much every part of the internet I frequent has talked about it. I still have yet to actually watch the actual thing, but from what's been described it seems like a small miracle that they even managed to get a starter pokemon.

it's like this but with less absolute randomness

How can you tell...?

DireKobold

Postby DireKobold » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:31 pm UTC

Some people have been saying that this comic won't age well. And they're probably right, but I don't think every comic can be one for the ages. This comic was funny and clever. Do the kids still say "'nuff said"? If they do, then as the kids say, 'nuff said.

davepermen

Postby davepermen » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:36 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:How can you tell...?

well, the difference is, the players are not blind to the outcome. the monkeys have no clue what they do. the players know.

for better and worse, that is. but there's a difference.

ShadedKnight

Postby ShadedKnight » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:52 pm UTC

sotanaht wrote:
ShadedKnight wrote:
Dopefish wrote:This phenomenon has reached xkcd?

Man, my brother first casually referenced it earlier this week and I hadn't heard of it, and now pretty much every part of the internet I frequent has talked about it. I still have yet to actually watch the actual thing, but from what's been described it seems like a small miracle that they even managed to get a starter pokemon.

Well, they didn't keep their starter for long anyway, so I guess that sort of confirms it? Also, for those aware of Pokemon Red and don't really care to watch the stream, here's a well updated progress meter: https://sites.google.com/site/twitchplayspokemonstatus/
and some cool stats on it: http://sanqui.rustedlogic.net/etc/tpp/ (for button presses, most used words, etc.) My personal favorite stat being the 7th most used word. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

I personally think the Anarchy/Democracy debate to be an interesting thing. Anarchy is ham-fisted, but gets things done quickly and Democracy is precise, but only if the chat knows what it's doing.

Most of what I've heard of that debate is more to the point that "Democracy" goes against the spirit of what made the thing popular in the first place and essentially turns the game into a slow let's play. It would be more interesting to find out if it were possible to eventually win with "Anarchy" before the interest dies out.

Well I wasn't really saying that that's the debate, just sort of saying what both of them are without going into specifics, but I can understand the confusion. As far as my stance on the issue goes, is that it's almost a non-issue at this point anyway. Democracy has only gotten one thing done (and maybe will come into play more later? who can say) because any other time Democracy has been reinstated, it is shut down with queued start commands by the same people voting Anarchy, so even if Democracy goes against the original design, it's almost never used anyway.

And winning with Anarchy before the interest dies out? Improbable, almost impossible, and here's my reasoning: the ledge before Victory road. The Infinite Monkey Theorem might make one believe anything is possible with enough time, but we're not dealing with true randomness here. The entire Twitch chat would have to avoid pressing down eleven consecutive times, and unless the trolls lose interest that's not happening.

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

They are approaching the Safari Zone.

The Safari Zone charges 500 Pokedollars to enter.

This...could be heartbreaking. They may even have to go all the way back to Vermillion to get the bike voucher, go all the way back to Cerulean to get a bike, and get money from the Bike Path to do this.

And they STILL might not succeed.
If you can read this, you are wasting your time.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:00 pm UTC

Introbulus wrote:They are approaching the Safari Zone.

The Safari Zone charges 500 Pokedollars to enter.

This...could be heartbreaking. They may even have to go all the way back to Vermillion to get the bike voucher, go all the way back to Cerulean to get a bike, and get money from the Bike Path to do this.

And they STILL might not succeed.

For those who don't know, Safari Zone is an area where you have to search for two items: the HM Strength and the HM Surf. You have 500 steps within the Safari Zone to find these two items. Every wasted step is a wasted opportunity. As Introbulus notes, there is a finite amount of money in this game. It is actually possible for Twitch to become permanently stuck here, unable to continue.

But still, it is only the first of many bosses.

Victory Road is guarded by a 14-step "left", with a single "down" which can destroy all progress. Victory Road itself is a Bolder Puzzle, requiring you to teach Strength, use it, and not get the boulders stuck in a corner. Otherwise, you have to restart the puzzle.

And as this png notes, every time you "lose" in Victory Road, you have to cross the 14-step ledge once more.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:17 pm UTC

KnightExemplar put it well. The Safari Zone could be the END of the run for TPP. In fact, there are two ways that the run could unceremoniously end right now. (thankfully, they managed to get into Saffron City somehow already)

1: The aforementioned failure to navigate the Safari Zone and running out of money.

2: To get through the rest of the game, it is required that several pokemon have certain HM moves.

Barring tossing these precious HMs away (I dont' think you actually CAN do that) or not being able to find them (The Safari Zone holds the two that are essential to progress), you need a pokemon that can learn those moves.

You also need pokeballs to catch pokemon, which Twitch has trouble buying even in the best of times.

There are TWO pokemon that could potentially save them, both of which can learn Strength and Surf.

They are Lapras, which you get in the Sliph Co Tower, and Omanyte, which you can get at Cinnibar Island, the latter of which requires a pokemon with Surf (and Strength) to reach anyway.

If they lose Lapras, and can't get any other pokemon to surf them to Cinnibar, the run is over. We won't even get to see the 'hell' that is Victory Road.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:24 pm UTC

Indeed.

It should be noted that this situation was forseen. The TPP group strategically decided to grab Eevee, so that it can turn into Vaporeon. Not only is Vaporeon a "free" surf pokemon, it is also one of the best pokemon with Base 130 HP, huge defenses, and great Special stats. However, the stream bought a Fire Stone, which turned the Eevee into the "blasphemous" Flareon, one of the worst pokemon in the game. Eevee has the unique property that it can turn into three different pokemon. For the purposes of this fun, Vaporeon was the best, Flareon was the worst. TPP of course, chose Flareon, and then released Charmeleon (one who can learn Strength).

The first of many blunders.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:37 pm UTC

It seems that TPP obtained Surf at this exact moment. Let's see and hope for the best.

Himme

Postby Himme » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:45 pm UTC

ShadedKnight wrote:[...]

And winning with Anarchy before the interest dies out? Improbable, almost impossible, and here's my reasoning: the ledge before Victory road. The Infinite Monkey Theorem might make one believe anything is possible with enough time, but we're not dealing with true randomness here. The entire Twitch chat would have to avoid pressing down eleven consecutive times, and unless the trolls lose interest that's not happening.

This is not actually entirely true. In anarchy-mode, not every input sent counts, only the one input that coincides with the frame counts. That means it is more proper to see the amount of sent inputs as probabilities for that being the next move. So, sure, if 20% (or even 1%) sends Downs inputs and 60% sends Lefts during that ledge, it may have a decent chance of happening. With some luck though those downs will be drowned out with most users hopefully sending lefts. People have actually developed some tools that one can use to predict what is going to happen kind of well too...

They have gotten past a similar ledge (though not as wide, I think it was 4 blocks?) before, and did so with some strategy that let them ignore the stream-delay by abusing the start-menu. It is far from impossible but it will for sure take some time for the chat to become coordinated.

At any rate, I absolutely love the stream. It's like a dynamical system with attractors (attractors being the current main goals). It's fun to see what strategies people develop and work together towards and also all the memes and "culture" that is spawned from it.

Have a good day! :)

(finally made an account after years of lurking too, finally time to start posting stuff I guess... x.x)

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:04 pm UTC

davepermen wrote:
Jackpot777 wrote:How can you tell...?

well, the difference is, the players are not blind to the outcome. the monkeys have no clue what they do. the players know.

Both are tasked with achieving a specific goal (whether they consciously do it or do it by blind luck). Seeing as none of the monkeys (that we know of) are trying to scupper the chances of their desired result, and those people trying to play the game have to deal with a 20-40 second lag (and that's not counting the trolls), I'm putting my money on these guys.

sje46

Postby sje46 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:20 pm UTC

A lot of people hate the Democracy mode but I honestly find it more fun than Anarchy. Feels more like you're working together and there is more strategy involved.

For example, in the safari zone when a pokemon appears, everyone by force of habit presses A when it says "Wild Venonat appeared!" This is a bad thing because there is a 20-30 second lag, so people will still be pressing "A" after the vote-cycle ended. Pressing A after the vote-cycle ended means that you will toss out a Safari ball, making you that much closer to ending your time in the safari zone. It's much better to press "B" which will still advance the "Wild venonat appeared" text but pressing B on "safari ball" won't toss one out. The next turn will simply be wasted on leftover Bs (wasting a turn is better than wasting a safari ball) and then you can simply downright to "run away".

You can see people getting smarter and anticipating how other people will act. It's like a massive game theory experiment. Anarchy is just, well, anarchy.

(also why didn't they grab the lapras a while ago?)
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:41 pm UTC

Ironically, Democracy in the game works like democracy does in real life.

Very slow, sometimes with disasterous results because of a very vocal and vicious group against it, but ultimately it allows us to accomplish very complicated things.

Assuming they can get the Strength HM soon, next goal will probably be Sliph Co, and praying that they don't dump Lapras.

ShadedKnight

Postby ShadedKnight » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:52 pm UTC

Himme wrote:

This is not actually entirely true. In anarchy-mode, not every input sent counts, only the one input that coincides with the frame counts. That means it is more proper to see the amount of sent inputs as probabilities for that being the next move. So, sure, if 20% (or even 1%) sends Downs inputs and 60% sends Lefts during that ledge, it may have a decent chance of happening. With some luck though those downs will be drowned out with most users hopefully sending lefts. People have actually developed some tools that one can use to predict what is going to happen kind of well too...

They have gotten past a similar ledge (though not as wide, I think it was 4 blocks?) before, and did so with some strategy that let them ignore the stream-delay by abusing the start-menu. It is far from impossible but it will for sure take some time for the chat to become coordinated.

Yes you're right, not every input counts in Anarchy, that's true. Also, not every start counts either due to the most recent coding change meant to prevent start spam. You also have to account for leftover downs from when you have to get to the choke-point between the ledge and the wall. It's actually going to be closer to 50% down and 50% left for the first section of the ledge, which will be bad. It may not be as simple as avoiding pressing down, but it's still a long-shot, not to mention actually doing anything in victory road without checking whether Bulbasaur's cry has changed (and then oops, boulder in the wrong spot, time to leave and come back)

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:00 pm UTC

Himme wrote:They have gotten past a similar ledge (though not as wide, I think it was 4 blocks?) before, and did so with some strategy that let them ignore the stream-delay by abusing the start-menu. It is far from impossible but it will for sure take some time for the chat to become coordinated.

It took them 12 HOURS to pass a 4-block ledge. (Granted, this was before Democracy mode)

Victory Road is guarded by a 14-block ledge. I dare say crossing it would be impossible without Democracy mode.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

They seem to have used democracy to finish the Safari Zone and acquire both Strength and Surf. Impressive for a stream with 70K players.

Smaller streams like this one have been more successful (at Elite Four) but there are currently only a thousand players.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

EnaiSiaion

Postby EnaiSiaion » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:25 pm UTC

Democracy is utterly lame. It was a cool experiment until that happened; now it's just entertaining television.

Still, watching the meme unfold is awesome.

roxcibop

Postby roxcibop » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:41 pm UTC

Twitch is pretty good at deciding when to switch over to democracy mode. It's doubtful that TPP would have ever gotten past the Celadon Game Corner mazes without democracy mode. They were stuck in that maze for about 36 hours without any progress. Usually, when it switches over to democracy, a crapload of people get mad and spam start9 until anarchy mode is switched back.

ToadofSteel

Postby ToadofSteel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:58 pm UTC

EnaiSiaion wrote:Democracy is utterly lame. It was a cool experiment until that happened; now it's just entertaining television.

There is NO WAY in hell that the mob would have been able to solve the Game Corner in anarchy mode. As it stands, they were able to clear that, as well as the Safari Zone.

The mob seems to have come to the perfect balance: anarchy mode for most of the game, democracy for moments where higher precision is needed, such as the aforementioned two moments, plus that victory road ledge that people are talking about. Might come into play in seafoam islands as well with the block puzzles, but not sure.

ToadofSteel

Postby ToadofSteel » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:02 pm UTC

Introbulus wrote:If they lose Lapras, and can't get any other pokemon to surf them to Cinnibar, the run is over. We won't even get to see the 'hell' that is Victory Road.

They do have the super rod IIRC, and only 5 pokemon in the active party. If need be, they could catch a fish.

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:08 pm UTC

Up until they run out of money for pokeballs, which could be quite fast.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:55 pm UTC

What came of their snorlaxes? They can learn surf and strength.

Veekun gives several options but most of them are indeed rod/seafoam islands/evolved. I just don't see them evolving a magikarp

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:58 pm UTC

nlitchfield wrote:
cellocgw wrote:The rest of us are smart enough to go off and goog an unfamiliar reference. Heck, for some of us, that's one of the great things about xkcd: we get introduced to all sorts of stuff (useful or not :) ) that we'd never heard of before.

I did search for TPP using Google. Not in the first hundred hits. Certainly if I were to claim that performing a specific search was something a smart person would do, I'd at least check that performing the search returned the expected results first. (and then I'd probably post a maybe helpful link)
Was TPP the only thing you didn't get? So you understood the comic itself before reading the alt text?

I rather think not, meaning this was the appropriate snarky link to post.

(In my case, I actually did suppose that Twitch probably meant twitch.tv, on which I've watched occasional Minecraft LPs, so I guessed the idea was having people sitting at their own computers telling the girl in the comic what to do.)
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:08 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:What came of their snorlaxes? They can learn surf and strength.

I believe they ran from one Snorlax. Don't know about the other one.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:27 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:What came of their snorlaxes? They can learn surf and strength.

I believe they ran from one Snorlax. Don't know about the other one.

Oh, right, I forgot about that option, they're never going to acquire a legendary pokémon either I guess :P.

chenille

Postby chenille » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

With all the discussion of Pokémon, I think we are neglecting the important thing, the horribly dystopian vision of a world where someone can be taken over like this. "You're being controlled by Twitch, aren't you?" he realizes with growing horror. "It's-" - but there is no point talking to her any more. The thing he sees is no longer a person - or is her mind still locked in there somewhere, a puppet to the whims of others? How has this happened to her? Is there still a chance of escaping the same fate, if he runs now, or is it already too late for him?
Last edited by chenille on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:14 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:10 pm UTC

EnaiSiaion wrote:Democracy is utterly lame. It was a cool experiment until that happened; now it's just entertaining television.

Anarchy was an interesting experiment ... for about a day or two. Now that everyone knows about it and it's become this major (temporary) phenomenon, is it really entertaining to watch people spam start and to see the main character get stuck in the same building for hours and hours on end? Democracy is slow, but now it has the best chance of actually seeing if they can accomplish something other than creating the church of the Helix Fossil.

5th Earth

Postby 5th Earth » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:01 am UTC

It's a little like wikipedia--it only works at all because more people want it to work than want to destroy it.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Himme

Postby Himme » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:35 am UTC

ShadedKnight wrote:
Himme wrote:

Yes you're right, not every input counts in Anarchy, that's true. Also, not every start counts either due to the most recent coding change meant to prevent start spam. You also have to account for leftover downs from when you have to get to the choke-point between the ledge and the wall. It's actually going to be closer to 50% down and 50% left for the first section of the ledge, which will be bad. It may not be as simple as avoiding pressing down, but it's still a long-shot, not to mention actually doing anything in victory road without checking whether Bulbasaur's cry has changed (and then oops, boulder in the wrong spot, time to leave and come back)

That is very true about those leftover downs you mentioned. However, if I remember correctly there is a wall above the ledge. In certain similar spots where the stream has been able to use the geometry to perform certain tasks easier, they have actually started using that geometry after some time (at least for the spots I've seen myself). In this case it means that they could just have a great majority of left-spammers and a minority of down spammers. Pressing left into the wall will keep them in place since they cant walk through it, so it is not a loss, and eventually at least one down will pass through. Not saying that it will be easy by any means, but sooner or later even the trolls tend to get tired of trolling, so it will definitely be interesting to see how well it works out when the stream gets there.

Another point about the geometry are the trees that you can cut. There was one tree that was particularly hard to cut down leading to the 4th gym which took several hours to cut. It was placed as a block in a horisontal line of bush blocks. The tree inside the gym itself had nicer geometry (a bush that blocked Red to the right and the tree above) and it only took a few minutes to cut down.

That ledge may take a long time to get past but I definitely think it is doable in anarchy even though democracy would be able to do it immediatly. Now, the rock puzzles are probably going to turn out horrible regardless of the politic in place. :P

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:47 am UTC

I thought Red was the version that came with Meowth – which can be used to generate funds in a pinch – but nope, that's exclusive to Blue. This does not bode well. But then, with the Safari Zone finished, there's no particular need for any funds that I can recall.

I'm kind of getting the impression that the S.S. Ticket is getting a lot more use than the Helix Fossil, but then, that doesn't really have the same meme potential.
Spoiler:

Oh look, they finally got Lapras.

Klear

Postby Klear » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:46 am UTC

I'm surprized trolls sabotaging the game haven't organized yet.

thesingingaccountant

Postby thesingingaccountant » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:53 am UTC

chenille wrote:With all the discussion of Pokémon, I think we are neglecting the important thing, the horribly dystopian vision of a world where someone can be taken over like this. "You're being controlled by Twitch, aren't you?" he realizes with growing horror. "It's-" - but there is no point talking to her any more. The thing he sees is no longer a person - or is her mind still locked in there somewhere, a puppet to the whims of others? How has this happened to her? Is there still a chance of escaping the same fate, if he runs now, or is it already too late for him?

This comment made more sense to me than everything else in this thread combined. Thank you, chenille, for restoring order to my little pocket of existence. My brain was about to explode.

I'm leaving now, before that headache comes back.
Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule.

thelonesoldier

Postby thelonesoldier » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:28 am UTC

Wow, this is the second time Randal has ripped off my first date comic... even used the same title this time. They're sitting in the same positions, the girl has the same hairstyle... it's appalling, really.

Just because most of my stick figure comics are a blatant mimicry of XKCD's style doesn't mean he can just copy the general layout of one of my comics! The gall!

:P

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:04 am UTC

This new meme. How many years passed after Burger King's "subservient chicken" before it arose?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:03 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Smaller streams like this one have been more successful (at Elite Four) but there are currently only a thousand players.

That group just beat the Elite Four and the Rival, so it is possible. But the main TPP seems to be very pro-anarchy, less about beating the game.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Introbulus

Postby Introbulus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:33 pm UTC

There seems to be a new "UTC" timer...anyone have any idea what that is about?

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:23 pm UTC

ShadedKnight wrote:
Himme wrote:

Actually there is an easy strategy for the players to avoid that leftover down problem. Spam left. Let the initial "down" come by accident/troll and have everyone already be spamming left running into a wall until that happens.

jdaster64

Postby jdaster64 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:20 pm UTC

From what I recall of the earlier Pokémon games, I believe hitting a direction you're not facing will just make you face in that direction, and you won't actually move in the new direction unless you hold it down / press it again in a few frames without changing direction again first. Which actually makes the first ledge not as hard as everyone thought; once Red starts crossing the ledge, it takes two or three "downs" in a row to actually make him jump down. However, since you have to approach the Route 22 ledge from above, that'd be almost impossible to avoid without democracy mode, especially since a lot of players don't seem to grasp the 20-second lag.

ghlargh

Postby ghlargh » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:31 pm UTC

Steve the Pocket wrote:Speaking of dates, this may be the one XKCD strip that dates itself the fastest. Twitch Plays Pokemon isn't likely to be looked back on as some kind of cultural landmark or anything, and he didn't even bother to write out its full name. (I hate it when people do that. Just assume that everything is so well known that everyone in the world can identify it by its initials. I kind of thought Randall was smarter than that.)

I did a quick search for TPP and all the top hits were for the Trans Pacific Partnership, my thoughts went something like "how the (insert word for procreation here) does this relate to the comic?"... To be clear, this forum thread is the first i ever hear about Twitch Plays Pokemon...

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:57 pm UTC

ghlargh wrote:
Steve the Pocket wrote:Speaking of dates, this may be the one XKCD strip that dates itself the fastest. Twitch Plays Pokemon isn't likely to be looked back on as some kind of cultural landmark or anything, and he didn't even bother to write out its full name. (I hate it when people do that. Just assume that everything is so well known that everyone in the world can identify it by its initials. I kind of thought Randall was smarter than that.)

I did a quick search for TPP and all the top hits were for the Trans Pacific Partnership, my thoughts went something like "how the (insert word for procreation here) does this relate to the comic?"... To be clear, this forum thread is the first i ever hear about Twitch Plays Pokemon...

You could have tried combining the acronym with a keyword from the comic, "TPP Twitch" or "TPP Controlled By Twitch" both work with pokemon as the first result. Unfortunately "TPP Spiral" doesn't help any.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”