1362 - "Morse Code"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

willpellmn

1362 - "Morse Code"

Postby willpellmn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:07 am UTC

Title text: Oh, because Facebook has worked out SO WELL for everyone.

Hm. So this is what it feels like to post the comic thread.....

ctrl

Re: 1362 - "Morse Code"

Postby ctrl » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:21 am UTC

LJ is quite alive, although overrun by russians now.
Oh, and they closed public SVN recently.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:25 am UTC

Now I'm curious if the French ever coded all their vowel accents and other special characters. I'll bet it would've sounded beautiful...

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:35 am UTC

The Wikipedia page says... yes. There are codes for things such as accented characters.

BlaiseV

Postby BlaiseV » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:20 am UTC

I am surprised by this : I was in the french navy in 1998 and we still used morse code (Scott, at least)

BlaiseV

Postby BlaiseV » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:22 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Now I'm curious if the French ever coded all their vowel accents and other special characters. I'll bet it would've sounded beautiful...

There is a code, but the convention is to not use them except when required for understanding, I believe

hujackus

Postby hujackus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:22 am UTC

Quick, someone from the OTT do a diff on the frames to see if there is any morse mustard.

Andromeda321

Postby Andromeda321 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:35 am UTC

Lovely comic. One thing to note though, there are actually some people who use Morse code, as in Ham radio communications you can often get a signal out further than you could if it was a more complex signal. Never interested me, but ten years ago you still needed to learn it to get certain license classes (and when they got rid of that about five years ago many old guys in that hobby screamed bloody murder).

So I know a bit from that still, but honestly it's mainly just useful in trivia contests and such. :wink:

DonJaime

Postby DonJaime » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:11 am UTC

Citation needed ... I can't find any French source for the "last cry". Did they transmit it in English, or is it just an urban legend (a.k.a. a story in The Economist)?
I don't think 'pedant' is really the right word.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:48 am UTC

DonJaime wrote:Citation needed ... I can't find any French source for the "last cry". Did they transmit it in English, or is it just an urban legend (a.k.a. a story in The Economist)?

Apparement....

Morse, at least as used by hams, is almost its own language, when you consider the Q-codes, other codes like HI, YL etc. There's even a tendency to co-opt words from other languages if they're shorter; I'm thinking particularly of "DE" (-.. .) used to mean "from" (..-. .-. --- --). (As illustrated by the transcript)

Edit: Furthermore, Randall translated "CQ" to "Calling all" and edited out the frequency (500kHz). Reasonable things to do but made it harder to Google.
Last edited by orthogon on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:50 am UTC

Andromeda321 wrote:Lovely comic. One thing to note though, there are actually some people who use Morse code, as in Ham radio communications you can often get a signal out further than you could if it was a more complex signal. Never interested me, but ten years ago you still needed to learn it to get certain license classes (and when they got rid of that about five years ago many old guys in that hobby screamed bloody murder).

So I know a bit from that still, but honestly it's mainly just useful in trivia contests and such. :wink:

It's used to transmit the call-signs for VOR stations, for anyone using them for aviation guidance.

And a guy I know showed up to a couple of recent meetings wearing an LED nametag flashing Morse for his "Hi my name is..." greeting.

eidako

Postby eidako » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:14 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:VOR stations

Also racons and ramarks.

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:54 pm UTC

On a personal note, last December I used an Arduino to drive my Christmas lights to so they blinked a message in Morse code.

Needless to say, nobody noticed.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

thevicente wrote:On a personal note, last December I used an Arduino to drive my Christmas lights to so they blinked a message in Morse code.

How do you know? :twisted:

azaethral

Postby azaethral » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:47 pm UTC

thevicente wrote:On a personal note, last December I used an Arduino to drive my Christmas lights to so they blinked a message in Morse code.

This is part of the reason why Star Trek's "scan for all languages on all frequencies" seems so absurd.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:00 pm UTC

azaethral wrote:

This is part of the reason why Star Trek's "scan for all languages on all frequencies" seems so absurd.

We also need to bear in mind that aliens can't decode Morse. WARNING! TVTROPES! WARNING!

Vanzetti

Postby Vanzetti » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:46 pm UTC

LJ is like, the largest blogging site in Russian language.

Arcadious

Postby Arcadious » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:59 pm UTC

Vanzetti wrote:LJ is like, the largest blogging site in Russian language.

LiveJournal, while still registered and hosted in the US, is owned by a russian SUP Media.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:17 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:

How do you know? :twisted:

That's easy. The message was "If you can read this, come to the back door and I'll give you bacon."

hujackus

Postby hujackus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:43 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:We also need to bear in mind that aliens can't decode Morse. WARNING! TVTROPES! WARNING!

Lol. A simple misunderstanding. They used morse code not for security, but because all the other lines of global communication were taken over.

MyOwnSelf

Postby MyOwnSelf » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:54 pm UTC

I'm really really confused at the rock in panel 3.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu May 01, 2014 1:11 am UTC

MyOwnSelf wrote:I'm really really confused at the rock in panel 3.

A cloud drifted over, so the sparkly quartz lines didn't show up.

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Thu May 01, 2014 3:18 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
azaethral wrote:

We also need to bear in mind that aliens can't decode Morse. WARNING! TVTROPES! WARNING!

Oh me yarm. Guys, I think we may have lucked out big this time. The message I blinked was "FUCK YOU ASSHOLES"

Edit: allowing for the delay for the speed of light is finite, we may still yet to be fucked.

azaethral

Postby azaethral » Thu May 01, 2014 4:26 am UTC

thevicente wrote:Oh me yarm. Guys, I think we may have lucked out big this time. The message I blinked was "FUCK YOU ASSHOLES"

That was going to be my question, but I left it unasked. Yet I wonder, wouldn't that have been a bit of a downer for anyone that was clever enough to decode the message? I probably would have gone with something along the lines of "this space is intentionally left blank."

webdude

Postby webdude » Thu May 01, 2014 4:53 am UTC

Ole: Sven, Sven, Sven, Olav, Sven, Sven, Sven

Alf: Huh? What's that?

Ole: Norse code!

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu May 01, 2014 6:19 am UTC

azaethral wrote:
thevicente wrote:Oh me yarm. Guys, I think we may have lucked out big this time. The message I blinked was "FUCK YOU ASSHOLES"

That was going to be my question, but I left it unasked. Yet I wonder, wouldn't that have been a bit of a downer for anyone that was clever enough to decode the message? I probably would have gone with something along the lines of "this space is intentionally left blank."

I couldn't possibly resist "Remember to drink your Ovaltine."
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Thu May 01, 2014 12:53 pm UTC

azaethral wrote:

Not that I expected anyone to actually read it, but I have noisy neighbors. I'd like them to be down.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu May 01, 2014 1:34 pm UTC

hujackus wrote:
orthogon wrote:We also need to bear in mind that aliens can't decode Morse. WARNING! TVTROPES! WARNING!

Lol. A simple misunderstanding. They used morse code not for security, but because all the other lines of global communication were taken over.

Hmm. Perhaps. Although Morse Code isn't itself a line of communication, it's just possible that the only available lines of communication might have necessitated the use of a low bandwith coding/modulation system such as Morse/CW. Perhaps the Shortwave bands were not being jammed, or there were some old telegraph cables.

Another possibility is that Morse sent by a human operator might be quite difficult to decode automatically, owing to the inevitable imperfections in symbol durations, etc., whilst still being perfectly readable by another human. This would work a bit like an audible Captcha, especially if the operators deliberately warped their sending.

This guy only mentions the Morse thing from Independence Day in passing, but it's an interesting discussion about the plausibility of hacking the mother ship. I think he'd fit right in on our forum.

azaethral

Postby azaethral » Thu May 01, 2014 6:11 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:This guy only mentions the Morse thing from Independence Day in passing, but it's an interesting discussion about the plausibility of hacking the mother ship. I think he'd fit right in on our forum.

So basically one of those "wow, telnet packets are totally unencrypted end-to-end" kind of moments.

azaethral

Postby azaethral » Thu May 01, 2014 6:12 pm UTC

thevicente wrote:Not that I expected anyone to actually read it, but I have noisy neighbors. I'd like them to be down.

I'd suspect that it wouldn't be the neighbors that figure it out, but the space aliens. :D

PayasYouDraw

Postby PayasYouDraw » Mon May 05, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
hujackus wrote:

Hmm. Perhaps. Although Morse Code isn't itself a line of communication, it's just possible that the only available lines of communication might have necessitated the use of a low bandwith coding/modulation system such as Morse/CW. Perhaps the Shortwave bands were not being jammed, or there were some old telegraph cables.

Another possibility is that Morse sent by a human operator might be quite difficult to decode automatically, owing to the inevitable imperfections in symbol durations, etc., whilst still being perfectly readable by another human. This would work a bit like an audible Captcha, especially if the operators deliberately warped their sending.

This guy only mentions the Morse thing from Independence Day in passing, but it's an interesting discussion about the plausibility of hacking the mother ship. I think he'd fit right in on our forum.

Thanks for that fascinating read.

It just happens that I finished reading Ender's Game the other day (and watched the recent movie). The aliens in both cases are telepathic, a hive mind in the case of the Buggers. For a species like that there would be no secrets, no privacy and no need for security systems or codes.

In both cases, not expecting independent thinking beings was part of the downfall.
Ah-ooooh! Rolling back the rivers in Time!

CWR

Postby CWR » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:04 pm UTC

I've been reading too much manga recently, and accidentally read the panels right to left. This makes it a rather poignant, but terribly funny strip.

Was Morse code the first binary language?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”