1376: "Jump"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Re: 1376: "Jump"

Postby Earthling on Mars » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:16 pm UTC

Platypodes wrote:
Earthling on Mars wrote:I've never had a dream like this. :( Although there was that one where I blew through the air on a strong wind and then fell down a manhole. I had several falling-down-a-hole-in-the-ground dreams as a kid.

Did you chase a white rabbit? Or, with the manhole, maybe a white sewer rat?

Um, no. :P Actually, I sat in the sewer playing board games with my mother and grandmother (they were with me) until we got rescued.

treadman

Postby treadman » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:27 pm UTC

For me, this type of dream starts with skiing or bicycling or something similar. I'll get some air hitting a jump and then I realize that the land is sloping down so much that my jump is going to be quite a flight. It's scary but exhilarating.

Another dream I have that's along these same lines, (that is, if it was real it would be fatal), is falling into the sea and not being able to find the surface. I hold my breath as long as I can, but when I finally decide to breath, I realize that I can breath underwater. So I swim around and explore.

SvenV

Postby SvenV » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:08 pm UTC

Jensenology wrote:There is a really cool Japanese short animation (maybe part of a longer film) that was making the rounds a few months back. ...

treadman wrote:For me, this type of dream starts with skiing or bicycling or something similar. I'll get some air hitting a jump and then I realize that the land is sloping down so much that my jump is going to be quite a flight.

See also: Fumiko no Kokuhaku

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:45 am UTC

Re driving/flying dreams. Before I learned to drive I used to get driving dreams a lot. I'd be driving a car knowing I wasn't supposed to and only had partial control of the thing owing to my lack of skills. Eventually once I passed my test I stopped getting those. But then a colleague took me up in a light aircraft; ever since then I have dreams of flying a plane with a similar lack of skill. Obviously it's even more perilous, although there's a kind of euphoria too associated with the flying part.

I also get driving from the back seat or drunk driving dreams. If I were to venture into psychological guesswork I'd probably say something to do with fear of taking on adult actions and responsibilities whilst feeling like I'm really still a child on the inside, without the necessary knowledge and skills.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:54 pm UTC

There's a theory we dream of flying because as infants we flew all the time. Our parents carried us everywhere above the ground and it seemed like we were flying with no way to control where.

WriteBrainedJR

Postby WriteBrainedJR » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:29 am UTC

My flying dreams inevitably ended up involving flying away from FBI agents because the government wants to confine me and do a bunch of tests on me. Every single one of them.

Fortunately, I like action movies, so I still enjoyed a good flying dream.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:16 am UTC

WriteBrainedJR wrote:My flying dreams inevitably ended up involving flying away from FBI agents because the government wants to confine me and do a bunch of tests on me. Every single one of them.

WriteBrainedJR wrote:My flying dreams inevitably ended up involving flying away from FBI agents because the government wants to confine me and do a bunch of tests on me. Every single one of them.

How old are you?

I think your NightMares need to be updated.
The BoogieMen are DHS and NSA these days.

They don't want to test you.
They already have your test results.

Like Alexander said, "The only Government Department that Really listens."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8lJ85pfb_E

Dream on little Poster.
Dream on.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

PayasYouDraw

Postby PayasYouDraw » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:45 am UTC

airdrik wrote:This has on occasion lead to some rather surreal moments when I've woken from a dream where my state and surroundings in the dream were simultaneously unnaturally similar and completely different from my actual place of rest (e.g. at the end of my dream I was asleep or waking up in a bed in a room similar to my own). When this happens it can take a little while to figure out whats going on.

Recently I've actually been late for work a couple of times because I doze off after my alarm goes off and I dream that I'm getting ready for work.

Then I'll actually wake up again 15 minute (or longer) later, realising I have to do it all for real. :cry: It seems to be the only dream I have often at the moment that I can actually remember.
Ah-ooooh! Rolling back the rivers in Time!

SimonMoon5

Postby SimonMoon5 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:37 pm UTC

My flying dreams often involve me not wanting to land simply because I'm not sure how I started flying in the first place, so if I land, I might not be able to fly again.

A recent dream had me simply gliding in the winds instead, so on a windy day, I could jump out the window and fly wherever I wanted to go. But then, later, when I needed to leave, there was no wind, so I couldn't fly at all.

Darkhand

Postby Darkhand » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:32 pm UTC

I think I was supposed to be a superhero.

When I was young, my close group of friends had technologically-based superpowers. To us, it wasn't pretend... We really had them, but they were manifested in another dimension. Our actions here would partially affect the other dimension, and vice versa. So if we jumped off a hill and held out our arm on the playground, we were base jumping off a building and firing our arm-mounted plasma cannons in the other dimension. 'Imagination' to an outside observer, 'Saving to universe' to us. We allowed people to think we were 'pretending' as a cover for the vital missions we were constantly deployed on.

When we were apart, we corresponded with each other by mail (long before the internet), trading documents detailing our recent encounters with the enemy, drafting blueprints for ships and weapons complete with stats and figures, and status reports on our internal systems. "Fuel cells maintaining 80% reserve after encounter yesterday, plasma cannons overheated but repaired. Shields normal." I was the leader of our group, recruiting other close friends to the cause, but I knew instinctively that there were others out there. Adolescent hubris may have gotten in the way sometimes, but deep down I knew I was only in charge of my local regiment.

Obviously we took things very seriously. It took quite a bit of our mental capacity from age 5 to about 15. So much invested thought that for me, it incorporated into my dreams as well.

As I grew up and 'civilian' life took over, we had less and less time for 'documentation' and fewer encounters with 'the enemy'. We were growing up. Fortunately, I found that my dreams picked up right where I left off. Since these powers were completely natural to me and a part of me from almost as far back as I could remember, I almost always had access to them in my dreams. Just like in the 'other dimension', in the majority of my dreams I could fly, had access to energy weapons, and was protected by my shields.

My shields. I can count on one hand how many truly bad dreams I've had in my whole life thanks to my shields. Dreams of regular 'bad guys' on the street, monsters, giant insects, even encounters with 'the enemy' have always been virtually harmless on account of being shielded from them at all times. I could be attacked by a bear, shot at, pretty much anything... and in my dreams I was always protected by the blue glow of my shields that would appear at the moment of attack.

In addition to 'regular' dreams where I would just happen to be able to use my powers, I had 'episodic' dreams, sometimes years apart, that followed the 'main storyline':

Early on I would find myself in 'training missions', where I had to master my abilities of flight (3D obstacle courses, rescue style missions, etc), weapons (target practice of varying kinds), and even one dream where I found myself having to train my judgement (would I save one girl hanging off a cliff or save a building full of people from a giant monster? My decisions determined my 'score' in some unknown way). I even accompanied the military a few times, once soaring in the sky alongside several fighter jets and looking down at the ground for long-range targets, and once on the ground in combat where I protected a group of soldiers by dragging a disabled tank to them to use as cover.

As time went by I never had another training dream, and found myself on real missions, defending our base from attacks by the enemy, invading the enemy's territory by land and by air, and eventually strategizing in a dark room full of higher ranking officers on attacks from afar. Over the years I was apparently increasing in rank.

These dreams have always been a part of my life. That's why it was so unnerving when one day, I became obsolete.

I was in a dream on a seemingly standard mission, fighting a small army of robotic forces. Some small, some large; land based and air. I would take to the skies, soaring at 10,000 feet, twisting and banking and fighting among the clouds as I usually do, then landing to fight a force on the ground, the blue glow of my shields deflecting all attacks as they always did. I could always feel the larger attacks putting pressure against the shields, but I was always safe. I had survived mountains crushing against me; deflected the most powerful lasers with my palm; contained a nuclear explosion within a 2 inch sphere of shield to save a city, and countless other adventures... A small incursion like this was nothing to personally fear; my job was, as always, to protect others. Or so I thought.

He strolled around the corner of a partially destroyed building; a tall, slender man with a high hairline and a grin on his face. I ignored him at first, continuing my fight against the robots. He continued to casually walk towards me however, and I turned my attention to him. "Who are you?" I asked. He was now a foot in front of me, calmly standing there as if he weren't in the middle of a war zone, but relaxing on the street in peacetime. "I'm your replacement", he said with a sly grin. "You're nothing but old tech." He reached out toward me, and although with effort, slowly pushed his hand through the blue glow. I could feel my shields pulling apart as if he were ripping my skin. He grabbed my chest and clenched his hand.

I jolted awake in a cold sweat for the first time in over a decade.

My shields had NEVER failed me in any dream in my entire life. Of course I had had 'normal' dreams where I didn't have any powers, but if they existed in the dream my shields always worked. Flawlessly, and against anything imaginable. I was quite literally shaken to my core.

Worse, I found that I had gone for over a year without a single episodic dream, and without a single 'normal' dream with any powers whatsoever. I would wake up some mornings and immediately go over my dreams in my head to search for any trace of my powers and found nothing. I was genuinely distraught over this for quite some time.

Until one night about six months ago, I had a dream I can only describe as 'The Expendables' for superheros.

A group of old, washed up heroes was recruited for a mission. I was sitting at a bar and was approached by a strange man who's face I couldn't see clearly. He took me into a dimly-lit back room where about a dozen people were sitting. I didn't know them but I could tell immediately they were similar to me and my group of friends, but at the same time different. They were all my age or older, and looked a bit tired. They asked if I had enough juice left for one last mission. "I'm all washed up, guys. I'm... old tech." The strange man pressed me to join them anyway and I finally gave in.

I next found myself in the middle of a ruined city, flooded with robotic enemies. The old heroes were already fanning out to begin their attacks, but we were hugely outnumbered. It was obviously some sort of last-ditch suicide mission. They started to call out what they were going to individually try and attack. 'I'll take this group of infantry', one said. "I'll go after this division, but I'll need help. You three come with me!", etc. While the enemy mostly consisted of infantry and tank-sized units, I looked up to see an enormous, 10-story tall robot-monster hybrid shambling our way. "I'll take this one", I said casually. The entire group stopped in their tracks and stared at me. "Are you insane? We'll have to take that down together, but we can't do it right now! We'll get to that thing later!" "No, I've got this", I said. I walked toward the creature and it locked its eyes on me, letting loose a horrible, half-robotic roar that shook the earth when it did so. It took a deep breath, and let loose a tremendous, earth-shattering beam of energy that vaporized the ground around me, and caused the nearby buildings, already damaged from battle, to collapse to the ground.

As the beam subsided and I could slowly see again, a huge half-sphere had been carved out of the ground around me, the earth having been blasted away by the force of the weapon. I stood unfazed, the blue glow of my shields fading away with the beam.

I was back!

I immediately took to the sky and buzzed around the beast, peppering it with shots from my plasma cannon at full power. The monster was so huge that even with everything I had I was only making small cuts into it, but at least it was effective. Dodging what I could and deflecting the rest, I slowly wore down the monster until it collapsed in a heap, quaking the ground and causing more buildings to topple over.

I flew back down to the group who had now retreated into a circle, fighting in a 360 degree formation against thousands of overwhelming enemies attacking from all angles. Even in this state, they stopped fighting and stared at me. "What do you mean you're old tech?! Help us finish these things off!"

We battled for what seemed like hours, on the ground and in the air, finishing off the rest of the army. Eventually the tides turned and we managed to completely rout the attacking forces, my shields working flawlessly the whole time. I last remember attacking the last of the army as they were retreating, our group cheering and the mood light and happy. Then I woke up.

Since then I've had several 'regular' dreams where my shields work perfectly, and a few where I've been able to fly normally as well. Perhaps my systems just needed time to recover and recharge? They are self-healing and self-upgrading, after all... Perhaps they were able to improve themselves enough to be viable again. I haven't seen the tall man since he attacked me, but I know he's out there still, waiting for another opportunity to meet me in the right dream.

But this time, I'll be ready for him.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:25 pm UTC

I shall sleep well tonight, with the dark hand of Darkhand protecting the world.

jjcote

Postby jjcote » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:41 am UTC

This cartoon is a lot like reality was for me when I was learning to hang glide. These days, it's just a few steps and then, if things work out, a lot of going up. Going that far out over the water is generally not recommended, however.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:46 am UTC

jjcote wrote:This cartoon is a lot like reality was for me when I was learning to hang glide. These days, it's just a few steps and then, if things work out, a lot of going up. Going that far out over the water is generally not recommended, however.

oh, How very correct you are.
That with what Deserts are for.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

moz1959

Postby moz1959 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:43 pm UTC

I saw this one and immediately thought; "Ha, that's so nearly like the one I have!"

The dream I have from time to time (and always welcome) is that I jump over some form of obstacle, (a large puddle as often as not) and find myself mentally fighting for just that little bit of extra distance. It is at that point that I find that I can actually gain height under (sub)conscious power of will, stretching the jump to whatever distance I choose. From that point in the dream, I am able to fly as and where I will. Landing when I choose, and just as easily taking off again. :D

Then I wake up and find that I can't fly after all. :(

Worse still, I realise that I have to go to work. :(

As far as alarms go, they don't work anywhere near as well. I often wake after the alarm has been blaring for some time, and realise that the dream I was having has a perfect explanation for the noise of the alarm. So my dream lets me ignore the alarm completely. :?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:46 pm UTC

Setting aside general dreams discussion for a second, anyone know an easy way to calculate the farthest a person could travel in a "straight line" (i.e. great circle) over water between land masses?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

HES

Postby HES » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:57 pm UTC

Presumably it would be going north from Antarctica. No idea how to calculate it efficiently, though.
He/Him/His Image

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:25 pm UTC

Does ice count as no landmass? I think it's either from Antarctica to the Russian Far East through the Atlantic ocean (I'm not sure if the trajectory east of Iceland get's you past Brazil though), from Antarctica to Scandinavia through the Bering strait (should be doable) or from East Africa to West America (going between Australia and Indonesia, it's probably too far South to be part of great circle though). I guess Bering strait is the most likely candidate, although Chile to China also looks nice.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:21 pm UTC

HES wrote:Presumably it would be going north from Antarctica. No idea how to calculate it efficiently, though.

That's a bit like calculating the furthest apart places on a landmass (ok, it's exactly equivalent if you swap land and sea). Over here, it's generally accepted that Land's End to John O' Groats are the most distant two points in Great Britain, so travelling between them by all sorts of means (on foot, bicycle, carrying a fridge, ...) is a common thing to do. I've always wondered how you calculate that, whether those two places really do maximise something, and if so, what it is. Clearly, whatever the cost function, it's a two-dimensional function if we assume that the two points are on the coast (and for most cost functions that would be the case, since for any inland end-point there will be a coastal point that is further away from the same starting point). The Wikipedia page does explain what's special about the two places, but not why this makes them the most distant. It strikes me that, until recently, the full optimisation problem would have been difficult even for the as-the-crow-flies distance, and probably impossible if the cost function is distance by roads of a given minimum category. I suspect that the colourfulness of the two place names may have played a part in their popularisation.

Does every country have an equivalent pair of places?

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:33 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
HES wrote:Presumably it would be going north from Antarctica. No idea how to calculate it efficiently, though.

That's a bit like calculating the furthest apart places on a landmass (ok, it's exactly equivalent if you swap land and sea). Over here, it's generally accepted that Land's End to John O' Groats are the most distant two points in Great Britain, so travelling between them by all sorts of means (on foot, bicycle, carrying a fridge, ...) is a common thing to do. I've always wondered how you calculate that, whether those two places really do maximise something, and if so, what it is. Clearly, whatever the cost function, it's a two-dimensional function if we assume that the two points are on the coast (and for most cost functions that would be the case, since for any inland end-point there will be a coastal point that is further away from the same starting point). The Wikipedia page does explain what's special about the two places, but not why this makes them the most distant. It strikes me that, until recently, the full optimisation problem would have been difficult even for the as-the-crow-flies distance, and probably impossible if the cost function is distance by roads of a given minimum category. I suspect that the colourfulness of the two place names may have played a part in their popularisation.

Does every country have an equivalent pair of places?

I'm not aware of any in the Netherlands, maybe it only works for landmasses. Does anyone know the furthest apart points on Afro-Eurasia? How long would it take to walk between these points?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:46 pm UTC

Why would it only work for landmasses? Every country has borders, doesn't it?

I suspect that the set of shapes and transportation systems that *don't* have a unique pair of points like this is measure zero. Meaning every country and other political division now or at any point in human history has had them.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:54 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Why would it only work for landmasses? Every country has borders, doesn't it?

I suspect that the set of shapes and transportation systems that *don't* have a unique pair of points like this is measure zero. Meaning every country and other political division now or at any point in human history has had them.

Touché. I meant to say a pair of places that are well-known in the general culture as being the greatest possible distance apart. Some thoughts about why other countries (like NL) might not have them: (1) areas like mainland Europe that have seen regular border changes over time may not have had stable enough borders for a pair of places to be cemented in the popular consciousness, (2) it's best for long, thin countries. The more square or circular a country is, the more different the forerunners in the race will be. Even if John o'Groats and Land's End aren't really the furthest apart, the true places probably aren't far away from them. I predict therefore that Chile has such a pair, which is interesting since "Chile to China" (which has excellent alliteration, by the way, and deserves to be a phrase) has already been mentioned in this subthread.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:27 pm UTC

In the [continental] U.S., it is generally regarded as being from Cape Flattery, Washington to somewhere at the tip of Florida. Not sure where exactly, as Key West is usually listed as the opposite point, but that is at the end of a chain of islands connected by bridges.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:37 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Setting aside general dreams discussion for a second, anyone know an easy way to calculate the farthest a person could travel in a "straight line" (i.e. great circle) over water between land masses?

No. I know someone does.

Do you know about the 45 degree club?
Those people are funny.

I may be an honorary member.
Look at 45 Degrees, North.
Then, Look at 45 Degrees, South.

45 Degrees, South does not have much Land.
45 Degrees, North has a lot of Land.

(shrug) Why? Are you going to Sail?
Because it is Easier than Walking?

Honey; Think long and hard before you sail around the Orb.
It sounds easier than it is.

Those imagined Peaceful nights under Stars turn into fitful sleep with Fear of Tankers looming large.
Even if you are the Only Vessel out there, Tons can go wrong and You can't walk away.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”