1393: Timeghost

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

scalziand
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:02 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby scalziand » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:04 pm UTC

Time ghost is still less annoying than four sided TimeCube Ghost.

SuperCow
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:53 pm UTC
Location: Indiana

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby SuperCow » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:09 pm UTC

The average new grandparents are younger than Keanu Reeves


As of the date of this posting, the above factoid is not true.

Keanu Reeves is 49. The average age of new grandparents is in the fifties.

Source: http://www.grandparents.com/money-and-w ... nt-economy

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5929
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby Angua » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:15 pm UTC

Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

CharonPDX
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:55 am UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby CharonPDX » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:03 pm UTC

PayasYouDraw wrote:We're getting close to all of Back to the Future being set in the past too.


That's been my standard "dear $deity we're getting old" comparison for some time. In 2000, we crossed the "'the future' is closer to now than 'the present' in Back to the Future" mark. That was frightening enough.

We're now only about a year away from "the present" being as far back in time as "the past" was when the first BttF movie came out. Yet (probably just because I was alive and a teenager in the '80s,) the '80s don't feel nearly as "far back" now as the '50s did in the '80s.

Of course, we are starting to hit the "nostalgia for the '80s" era - we have an "80s nostalgia video game arcade" in my town already.

rtanenbaum
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 7:16 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby rtanenbaum » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:37 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:I was born after the fall of the Berlin Wall (and a year before the dissolution of the Soviet Union).


Not only was I born before the Berlin Wall fell down, I was born before the Berlin Wall went up!

alanbbent
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby alanbbent » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:00 pm UTC

Read this strip as many times as you can, because it doesn't take long for this type of time-scare "factoid" to be obsolete and not scary at all. Maybe it's even a way to feel young; these factoids are new enough that they're still relevant. Go look at Randall's other time-scare comics and marvel at how silly and un-scary they sound now. This type of factoid might work better as the contents of a new xkcd Twitter feed, which is more expected to age quickly. Obviously Randall likes making them.

eidako
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:24 am UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby eidako » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:17 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:Where are those graphs from? What do they show?

Results of a quick Google image search. First is credited as "National Center for Health Statistics, National Vital Statistics Reports, 2011" (US agency, so I'm assuming it's the average of US births), second is apparently from the National Vital Statistics System published by the CDC (also US, also listed as the average). Both show the average age of mothers at their first birth over time, around 25 as of a few years ago.

PinkShinyRose wrote:I found OECD (PDF) data

The samples in that study are primarily from European nations, so it obviously arrives at a higher mean. Yet if we're going to use the definition of "most people" on the international level, we would need data for China, India, Russia, and so on.

That ultimately misses the point though. From my perspective, "most people" are the ones in my general geographic area and to a lesser extent those in the same nation. It is a biased view, but so is the tone of the comic; after all, how many people in India have watched any episodes of The Simpsons*?

* The Simpsons may actually be very big in India. I have never been there and have no desire to go there, so I have no idea.

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby da Doctah » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:32 pm UTC

Playboy made a big fuss about Miss November 1973, Monica Tidwell, because she was the first Playmate of the Month younger than the magazine itself (born january 14, 1954; Playboy's first issue was December 1953).

Miss December 1996 (and 1997 Playmate of the Year) Victoria Silvstedt was born on September 1974, nearly a year after Monica Tidwell's issue hit the stands. As far as I know, nobody at the magazine made any note of her position as the first of Playboy's "third generation" of Playmates.

Youngest Playmate to date is this year's Miss July, Emily Agnes, born July 7, 1993. FIrst one born after Silvstedt's appearance in the centerfold will probably be about 2018.

dp2
Posts: 346
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby dp2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:48 pm UTC

Zylon wrote:I take it from the douchey undertone of this strip that Randall is doing his usual smug superiority thing to people who partake in this sort of chronological cultural relativism.

Maybe, but I do it and I still found it funny.

User avatar
PinkShinyRose
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm UTC
Location: the Netherlands

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:06 pm UTC

eidako wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:Where are those graphs from? What do they show?

Results of a quick Google image search. First is credited as "National Center for Health Statistics, National Vital Statistics Reports, 2011" (US agency, so I'm assuming it's the average of US births), second is apparently from the National Vital Statistics System published by the CDC (also US, also listed as the average). Both show the average age of mothers at their first birth over time, around 25 as of a few years ago.

PinkShinyRose wrote:I found OECD (PDF) data

The samples in that study are primarily from European nations, so it obviously arrives at a higher mean. Yet if we're going to use the definition of "most people" on the international level, we would need data for China, India, Russia, and so on.

That ultimately misses the point though. From my perspective, "most people" are the ones in my general geographic area and to a lesser extent those in the same nation. It is a biased view, but so is the tone of the comic; after all, how many people in India have watched any episodes of The Simpsons*?

* The Simpsons may actually be very big in India. I have never been there and have no desire to go there, so I have no idea.

Looking at my general social surroundings (mostly people who are (in the process of becoming) higher educated in the Netherlands) I would say the average is probably higher. I suspect this is the case for much of the XKCD audience due to it's geeky tendency. I think I mentioned 25 years probably being rather old for a worldwide statistic keeping in mind that OECD countries probably tend to contain the oldest first-time mothers. China is interesting though: the 1-2 child policy may cause people to take more time before actually getting children.

User avatar
CapCouillon
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Offshore

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby CapCouillon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:38 pm UTC

Internet != World Wide Web
Ah contraire, mon frere.....
From one old enough to remember.... Lemme check my notes.
"A Plan For The ARAPANET" Published by Roberts (funded by the US Department of Defense) 1967
[spoilerjust graduated hIgh school[/spoiler]
September 1969 First ARPANET host at UCLA
Spoiler:
Busy flunking out of UC Berserkly

December 1970 the Network Working Group (NWG) working under S. Crocker finished the initial ARPANET Host-to-Host protocol, called the Network Control Protocol (NCP)
Spoiler:
Enjoying all expense paid vacation in lovely SE Asia courtesy of US Department oi Defense

Jan 1st 1983 ARPANET converts from NCP to TCP/IP protocal
Spoiler:
Finished school, married... no sprats yet

November 1989 WorldWideWeb Project (W3) proposed by Tim Berners-Lee. First Web Server, Web Page,
and Web Browser online December 1990
Spoiler:
Chucked the job, chucked the house and sailed away.... Kept the wife and the sprats.


So take your choice of "internet" dates... In the meanwhile "YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!

User avatar
PinkShinyRose
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm UTC
Location: the Netherlands

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby PinkShinyRose » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:55 am UTC

CapCouillon wrote:
Internet != World Wide Web
Ah contraire, mon frere.....
From one old enough to remember.... Lemme check my notes.
"A Plan For The ARAPANET" Published by Roberts (funded by the US Department of Defense) 1967
[spoilerjust graduated hIgh school[/spoiler]
September 1969 First ARPANET host at UCLA
Spoiler:
Busy flunking out of UC Berserkly

December 1970 the Network Working Group (NWG) working under S. Crocker finished the initial ARPANET Host-to-Host protocol, called the Network Control Protocol (NCP)
Spoiler:
Enjoying all expense paid vacation in lovely SE Asia courtesy of US Department oi Defense

Jan 1st 1983 ARPANET converts from NCP to TCP/IP protocal
Spoiler:
Finished school, married... no sprats yet

November 1989 WorldWideWeb Project (W3) proposed by Tim Berners-Lee. First Web Server, Web Page,
and Web Browser online December 1990
Spoiler:
Chucked the job, chucked the house and sailed away.... Kept the wife and the sprats.


So take your choice of "internet" dates... In the meanwhile "YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!

I would go for 1995, when it was commercialised, or some earlier point when large numbers of networks switched to TCP/IP and were connected with ARPANET and other networks.

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby da Doctah » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:44 am UTC

This year's high-school sophomores have never known a world without a Beloit College Mindset list.

(Okay, it's still a little too soon to make a really <em>good</em> self-referential example of this.)

racunniff
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:52 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby racunniff » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:59 pm UTC

CapCouillon wrote:
Internet != World Wide Web

Ah contraire, mon frere.....


I think the point is that the word "Internet" significantly predates the World Wide Web. The earliest reference to the word "internet" I could find from simple searching is RFC 760 from January 1980 - its references talk about "Inter-networking. I suspect the term was invented in 1979 or so - probably one of the authors of RFC 760 could tell us for sure.

Note that Merriam-Webster incorrectly asserts that the term dates from 1985.

User avatar
3rdtry
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:46 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby 3rdtry » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:25 pm UTC


speising
Posts: 2350
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:54 pm UTC
Location: wien

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby speising » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:34 pm UTC

racunniff wrote:
CapCouillon wrote:
Internet != World Wide Web

Ah contraire, mon frere.....


I think the point is that the word "Internet" significantly predates the World Wide Web.


no, that's not the point. you know, email is part of the internet, too. and ftp. and bittorrent. and a hundred other protocols you can route over TCP/IP.
(also, i don't understand the "contraire" above).

User avatar
PayasYouDraw
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:57 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby PayasYouDraw » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:15 am UTC

CharonPDX wrote:
PayasYouDraw wrote:We're getting close to all of Back to the Future being set in the past too.


That's been my standard "dear $deity we're getting old" comparison for some time. In 2000, we crossed the "'the future' is closer to now than 'the present' in Back to the Future" mark. That was frightening enough.

We're now only about a year away from "the present" being as far back in time as "the past" was when the first BttF movie came out. Yet (probably just because I was alive and a teenager in the '80s,) the '80s don't feel nearly as "far back" now as the '50s did in the '80s.

Of course, we are starting to hit the "nostalgia for the '80s" era - we have an "80s nostalgia video game arcade" in my town already.


I get a similar feeling for the difference 1955-1985 to 1985-2015, and I was only born in 1986. (Or maybe that amplifies the effect?)
Ah-ooooh! Rolling back the rivers in Time!

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10222
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby addams » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:37 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:Ruh roh? 1108 seems to date from 14.9.2012 so they have up to 2 years or less to live.


I don't think these are the same ghosts; It's possible Cautionary Ghost is TimeGhost's cousin.

I wonder if the Time Vulture is related. A pet, perhaps?



Anyways... I feel like Randall is my TimeGhost sometimes, with some of these comics.

I thought of the Time Vultures, too.

That is poignant, to me.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9093
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:03 am UTC

What happens when a Timeghost meets a Time Vulture?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby da Doctah » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:40 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:What happens when a Timeghost meets a Time Vulture?
The Chambers Brothers go back into the studio to record another eleven-minute single.

ps.02
Posts: 378
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby ps.02 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:12 pm UTC

AEB wrote:Fun fact --- use of the word "factoid" to identify a "little snippet of truth" came about in the 90s thanks to misuse on CNN. It is now an accepted second meaning, such that one word now is taken to mean both "made up" and "true"...

OOOoooooOOOOoooo There are registered voters too young to remember when a "factoid" was always false. ooooOOooOOOOooo

User avatar
chridd
Has a vermicelli title
Posts: 840
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:07 am UTC
Location: ...Earth, I guess?
Contact:

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby chridd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:26 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:
AEB wrote:Fun fact --- use of the word "factoid" to identify a "little snippet of truth" came about in the 90s thanks to misuse on CNN. It is now an accepted second meaning, such that one word now is taken to mean both "made up" and "true"...

OOOoooooOOOOoooo There are registered voters too young to remember when a "factoid" was always false. ooooOOooOOOOooo
You mean, it was actually used that way exclusively at some point recently, and not just in people correcting others' use of the word (and not, like, a hundred years ago or something)? *Looks it up.* Huh. Didn't know that.
(I guess that means I'm one of those people who's too young to remember.)

Edit: Oops, I guess I didn't need to look it up; it was in the thing I quoted. Still, I didn't know it before reading the thread.
Last edited by chridd on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:36 pm UTC

My god... World War 1 was a hundred years ago. How time flies.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10222
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby addams » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:08 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:What happens when a Timeghost meets a Time Vulture?

That is a good question.
The Ghost must be a darned irrataion.
The Vulture hovers in the distance.

The idea of the Vulture is bothersome.
The reality of a Smug, Over Informative Ghost would be bothersome.

Don't get off my Lawn.
Sit down a kill the grass.

Nag it the way TimeGhosts does.
It will give up the will to live.


Maybe that is The Point.
We will willingly surrender to the Time Vulture to get away from the Nagging TimeGhost.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Plasma Mongoose
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:09 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:48 am UTC

The global human population has increased by 4 billion since I was born, also the year of my birth is halfway between now and the Tunguska event.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby da Doctah » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:12 am UTC

Wikipedia provides a list of famous people born in any given year. The ones who at the time of my birth were the age I am now are all dead, every single one of them. The biography for the last one still living includes the following paragraph:

In 1997, she and four former Ziegfeld Girls reunited for the reopening of the New Amsterdam Theatre. She later recalled that she was the only one still able to dance.

nigenet
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:27 am UTC
Location: Sunny Buxton, Derbyshire, UK (Where the water comes from)
Contact:

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby nigenet » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:37 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:My god... World War 1 was a hundred years ago. How time flies.

Not all of it. In fact some of it was only 96 years ago :-)
"Your mother ate my dog!"
"Not all of him..."

User avatar
Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:12 am UTC

"Germany hasn't won the World Cup in my life time", is now a traditional factoid.
It was a CNN factoid 24 hours ago.
Image

jpvlsmv
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby jpvlsmv » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:50 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:My god... World War 1 was a hundred years ago. How time flies.

Oh, no, we have Time Vultures, Time Ghosts, and now Time Flies?

Somebody get me a banana!

User avatar
Whizbang
The Best Reporter
Posts: 2238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:01 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:My god... World War 1 was a hundred years ago. How time flies.


The American Civil War was only 150 years ago. Growing up, that felt like a forever ago. Long, long ago, in a country that had no resemblance to the America of today, men fought men over owning men. The older I get, the more it feels like it was not all that long ago.

jasc15
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby jasc15 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:48 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:My god... World War 1 was a hundred years ago. How time flies.


The American Civil War was only 150 years ago. Growing up, that felt like a forever ago. Long, long ago, in a country that had no resemblance to the America of today, men fought men over owning men. The older I get, the more it feels like it was not all that long ago.

I just made this remark to a friend after reading this comic. I was watching Stephen Fry in America, and he meets a woman in Georgia whose grandfather fought in the civil war. It's only a few generations ago.

operagost
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby operagost » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:50 pm UTC

synp wrote:Eminem got big with the Slim Shady LP in 1999. The 10-year-olds of them are now 25. Some 25-year-olds are having children, (also some 14-year-olds) but for the most part, people are waiting to at least 28 and more commonly 30 to have kids.

You forgot about the many who seem to have not heard of contraception.

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:59 pm UTC

jasc15 wrote:
Whizbang wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:My god... World War 1 was a hundred years ago. How time flies.


The American Civil War was only 150 years ago. Growing up, that felt like a forever ago. Long, long ago, in a country that had no resemblance to the America of today, men fought men over owning men. The older I get, the more it feels like it was not all that long ago.

I just made this remark to a friend after reading this comic. I was watching Stephen Fry in America, and he meets a woman in Georgia whose grandfather fought in the civil war. It's only a few generations ago.


There are still people alive whose fathers fought in the Civil War. Well, here's one who was alive two months ago, anyway, but I really doubt she's the only one.

EDIT: the last known widow of a Civil War veteran, Maudie Hopkins, died in 2008 at age 93.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

User avatar
PinkShinyRose
Posts: 834
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm UTC
Location: the Netherlands

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby PinkShinyRose » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:26 pm UTC

operagost wrote:
synp wrote:Eminem got big with the Slim Shady LP in 1999. The 10-year-olds of them are now 25. Some 25-year-olds are having children, (also some 14-year-olds) but for the most part, people are waiting to at least 28 and more commonly 30 to have kids.

You forgot about the many who seem to have not heard of contraception.

Now you make me wonder about US sex education. Is that why they get children at 25 on average? Surely there's more to it than that.

Mutex
Posts: 1463
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:32 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby Mutex » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:09 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:In my last job, we got a new employee. When another employee found out the age of the new employee, she burst out, "God, I have underwear older than you!"

That struck me as funny as well as a nice measure of a person's age.


Twist: The new employee was 65.

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10222
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby addams » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:46 am UTC

rtanenbaum wrote:
Xenomortis wrote:I was born after the fall of the Berlin Wall (and a year before the dissolution of the Soviet Union).


Not only was I born before the Berlin Wall fell down, I was born before the Berlin Wall went up!

OOOooooOOOooo.
That's Old.
OOOoooOOOOoo
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

kesterallen
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:02 pm UTC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby kesterallen » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:05 pm UTC

I'm a year late to this party, but I've knocked together a simple web page to generate #timeghosts programmatically. Take a look and tell me what you think! [url]timeghost-app dot appspot dot com[/url]

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1445
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 1393: Timeghost

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:57 pm UTC

kesterallen wrote:I'm a year late to this party, but I've knocked together a simple web page to generate #timeghosts programmatically. Take a look and tell me what you think! http://timeghost-app.appspot.com/

nice, but some are a bit obvious...
http://timeghost-app.appspot.com wrote:The defeat of Napolean [sic] at Waterloo is closer to the Louis [sic] and Clark expedition than today

1815 is closer to 1801 than 1815 is to today. Yeah, that seems true.

EDIT: Also, something seems a bit off with the math...
today (2015) 201.0 yrs defeat of Napolean at Waterloo (1815)

(It's about 200.05 years, so maybe it just rounds up?)

Still, it's a fun program. Nice one.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lasagna, ZoomanSP and 28 guests