1405: "Meteor"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

PinkShinyRose

1405: "Meteor"

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:29 am UTC

No, only LAVA is called 'magma' while underground. Any other object underground is called 'lava'.

So do we call anything magma while underground? I think this comic may make some people more annoying.
Last edited by PinkShinyRose on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

senectus

Re: 1405: "Meteor"

Postby senectus » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:43 am UTC

Doesn't the existence of Widmanstätten pattern in a piece of meteorite (that too, isn't it a meteorite once it enters the atmosphere??) mean it was never molten on the planet?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widmanst%C3%A4tten_pattern

They can only be formed in zero G over millenia...?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:51 am UTC

Pat: "Check it out, I got a piece of the Berlin Wall!"
Mike: "There's no Berlin Wall. It might have been a piece of the Berlin Wall at one time, but now it's a piece of concrete."

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:01 am UTC

In defense of inaccurate terminology, "Enter Village Flees From Magma" makes for a much more intriguing headline.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:03 am UTC

senectus wrote:(that too, isn't it a meteorite once it enters the atmosphere??)

It's a meteor only while it's in the process of falling to Earth.

One it hits the ground, it's a meteorite.

While it's still just floating around in outer space, it's a meteoroid.

Think of it this way: a meteor is the defining object, a "shooting star". Meteorite is, like other -ites, a substance, namely the stuff that meteors are made of; and by extension, a meteorite is a rock made of that stuff. And a meteoroid is a meteor-like object, in the same way that humanoid is human-like and a toroid is torus-like; it's something that could be a meteor, if it happened to fall to Earth, and is in many sense just like a meteor, except in that it's not falling to Earth.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

keithl

Postby keithl » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:04 am UTC

So, a Polynesian in a cave underground is Lava, and the skirt he/she wears is a Lava Lava Lava Lava?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:06 am UTC

keithl wrote:So, a Polynesian in an underground cave is Lava, and the skirt he/she wears is a Lava Lava Lava Lava?

…lava lava duck.

I was once a treehouse, I lived in a cake, but I never saw the way the orange slayed the rake…

senectus

Postby senectus » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:18 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

ahh forgot about that classification

fizzlesticks

Postby fizzlesticks » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:42 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

Think of it this way: a meteor is the defining object, a "shooting star". Meteorite is, like other -ites, a substance, namely the stuff that meteors are made of; and by extension, a meteorite is a rock made of that stuff. And a meteoroid is a meteor-like object, in the same way that humanoid is human-like and a toroid is torus-like; it's something that could be a meteor, if it happened to fall to Earth, and is in many sense just like a meteor, except in that it's not falling to Earth.

A "meteor" isn't actually a rock, it's the trail of light made by entering the atmosphere. Whether the rock is in space or falling to Earth it is a "meteoroid", changing to a "meteorite" once it hits the ground.

LoopyChew

Postby LoopyChew » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:43 am UTC

Reminds me of the joke, "no, Robocop was the name of the guy who CREATED him, you're thinking of his monster."

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:10 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

To be even more pedantic: A meteor is technically the light-trail you observe when a meteorite is in the process of falling to earth. So a meteor is not an object at all, it's a process / phenomenon.

So, to recap:
Meteor: The light-trail you observe when a meteorite falls to earth
Meteorite: A rock that has fallen from space to earth
Meteoroid: A (small) rock floating in outer space
Asteroid: A bigger rock floating around in outer space
Planetoid: An even bigger rock floating around in outer space, generally used as a synonym for dwarf planet
Comet: An icy rock floating around in outer space, in an orbit such that it heats up and produces a tail during its close approach to the sun.
Meteorology: The study of meteors*.

* This last statement may not be entirely accurate
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:15 am UTC

Meteorology is nothing but a pseudoscience. Meteoronomy is where the real work is done.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

senectus

Postby senectus » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:23 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Meteorology is nothing but a pseudoscience. Meteoronomy is where the real work is done.

ooh fightin words :-D

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:46 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Meteorology is nothing but a pseudoscience. Meteoronomy is where the real work is done.

Meteorology is the only occupation other than professional baseball where you can fail 70% of the time and still retain your job.

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:49 am UTC

keithl wrote:So, a Polynesian in a cave underground is Lava, and the skirt he/she wears is a Lava Lava Lava Lava?

I don't think the skirt needs to be capitalized.

Nix_Seb

Postby Nix_Seb » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:50 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

So if I am a human and therefore also a humanoid, what can I do to become a humanite?
A man of five words

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:05 am UTC

Nix_Seb wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

So if I am a human and therefore also a humanoid, what can I do to become a humanite?

If I understand correctly, it's once you hit a hole in the ground (become buried).

Isn't it a marvel there were all these holes there to catch the meteorites? They must attract them. We should fill all the holes to prevent an extinction level event.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

SparkOut

Postby SparkOut » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:09 am UTC

Nix_Seb wrote:So if I am a human and therefore also a humanoid, what can I do to become a humanite?

Suffer the gaze of a basilisk?

origimbo

Postby origimbo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:11 am UTC

RAGBRAIvet wrote:Meteorology is the only occupation other than professional baseball where you can fail 70% of the time and still retain your job.

Doctors fail 100% of the time and keep their jobs*. Also politicians, comedians, priests of whichever god(s) actually don't exist…

* My chosen metric : It's the doctor's job to keep the patient alive. No of patients alive after 150 years: 0.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:17 pm UTC

senectus wrote:Doesn't the existence of Widmanstätten pattern in a piece of meteorite (that too, isn't it a meteorite once it enters the atmosphere??) mean it was never molten on the planet?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widmanst%C3%A4tten_pattern

They can only be formed in zero G over millenia...?

"This is Captain Picard of the Enterprise. I am taking command of the fleet. Target all of your weapons onto the following coordinates. ...Fire on my command."

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:41 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
keithl wrote:So, a Polynesian in an underground cave is Lava, and the skirt he/she wears is a Lava Lava Lava Lava?

…lava lava duck.

I think you meant "lava lava lava Grapevine!"
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:43 pm UTC

Uh -oh, we're back to the actually thingie again?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:45 pm UTC

Nix_Seb wrote:So if I am a human and therefore also a humanoid, what can I do to become a humanite?

Go to Cinnabar Island with a humanoid fossil, and one of the scientists there can turn it into Humanyte.

NiteClerk

Postby NiteClerk » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:32 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:So, to recap:
Planetoid: An even bigger rock floating around in outer space, generally used as a synonym for dwarf planet

Once this is resolved can we debate the difference between a pond and lake next?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:43 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

…lava lava duck.

I think you meant "lava lava lava Grapevine!"

My loony bun is fine Benny Magma!
Minor bun engine made Benny Magma!
Anybody need this sign? Benny Magma!
You need a bun to bite Benny Magma!

Bounty

Postby Bounty » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:51 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

To be even more pedantic: A meteor is technically the light-trail you observe when a meteorite is in the process of falling to earth. So a meteor is not an object at all, it's a process / phenomenon.

So, to recap:
Comet: An icy rock floating around in outer space, in an orbit such that it heats up and produces a tail during its close approach to the sun.

No, it's only called an Asteroid when you shooting at it from your tiny ship.

macrakis

Postby macrakis » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:28 pm UTC

I remember writing a story in elementary school which ended "and the meteor became a meteorite" as a poetic (?) way of saying that the meteor hid the ground. I'm still embarrassed when I think about it....

Sir Lunch-a-lot

Postby Sir Lunch-a-lot » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:38 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:While it's still just floating around in outer space, it's a meteoroid.

Huh. After watching an episode of Nova on asteroids recently, I had been under the impression that pretty much all of the rocks floating around in space were classified as ASTEROIDS. (Though, I might have misunderstood, or they may have failed to categorize smaller rocks that aren't all that exciting when they hit Earth's atmosphere).

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:52 pm UTC

The asteroids are a specific set of astral bodies, namely the ones in the band between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter (the Asteroid Belt), not a specific kind of astral body. An asteroid, if somehow nudged in the direction of Earth, could be come a meteor, but not everything that could become a meteor is an asteroid.

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:44 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:I think you meant "lava lava lava Grapevine!"
This only goes to show that your claim to be "former" is inaccurate. Welcome back!
Pfhorrest wrote:An asteroid, if somehow nudged in the direction of Earth, could be come a meteor, but not everything that could become a meteor is an asteroid.
So... a meteorite may have once been an asteroid. But when did it become a meteorid? Surely before it formed the meteor, perhaps when it was nudged into its fatal orbit, or maybe when it was on a path to be nudged into this fatal orbit... or maybe it always was a meteorid (with a long time to go before it proved itself). Thus, there would be this well defined class of objects (that will eventually hit the earth) which cannot easily be enumerated (without waiting for it) that are called meteorids.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

ilduri

Postby ilduri » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:24 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:The asteroids are a specific set of astral bodies, namely the ones in the band between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter (the Asteroid Belt)...

That's the most common usage, for sure. However, asteroid is currently undefined by the IAU, so there is a bit of leeway in how it's used— even for pedants! :) The Greeks and Trojans (ie, the small bodies in the Sun-Jupiter lagrange points) are often called asteroids too, for example.

The term was originally coined because they appeared star-like— that is, they were so small that they appeared as points rather than discs even through a telescope.
"Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales"
she/her

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:22 am UTC

Diadem wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

So, to recap:

So, how does a rhomboid fit into this equation?
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:51 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:
Diadem wrote:Meteor: The light-trail you observe when a meteorite falls to earth

So, how does a rhomboid fit into this equation?

Rhomboid: A silicon rock floating in outer space.

...do I want to know how hemorrhoids are included?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:07 am UTC

No. Think happy thoughts about trapezoids instead.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:13 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:No. Think happy thoughts about trapezoids instead.

Ah, the space rocks that tumble acrobatically? Yeah, those are fun to watch.

Happy thoughts...

JustDoug

Postby JustDoug » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:09 pm UTC

ilduri wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:The asteroids are a specific set of astral bodies, namely the ones in the band between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter (the Asteroid Belt)...

That's the most common usage, for sure. However, asteroid is currently undefined by the IAU, so there is a bit of leeway in how it's used— even for pedants! :) The Greeks and Trojans (ie, the small bodies in the Sun-Jupiter lagrange points) are often called asteroids too, for example.

The term was originally coined because they appeared star-like— that is, they were so small that they appeared as points rather than discs even through a telescope.

Considering the root, aster, I"d be inclined to define an asteroid as a body too irregular/small to quialify as a planet[oid] resolvable (telescopically or not) from Earth with a meteor[edit: oid] being too small for that.
Last edited by JustDoug on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:32 am UTC

Well if you want to become an ultra-humanite you have to put your brain in an albino gorilla. Put your brain in a regular gorilla, maybe?

BlitzGirl

Postby BlitzGirl » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:10 am UTC

If you do it sneakily enough, you'll become a guerilla.
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Hamsvlekiss

Postby Hamsvlekiss » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:30 am UTC

And as we all know, a moon rock tastes better than an Earth rock because it's a little magma.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

Become French. Then you would be a part of humanité, anyway.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”