1407: "Worst Hurricane"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

leebenningfield

Re: 1407: "Worst Hurricane"

Postby leebenningfield » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:19 pm UTC

Shout out to Gloria, 1986.

During Bob, I was on vacation in Maine, but we were inland enough that it wasn't too bad. During Gloria, I was at home in Boston; we lost power for almost a week, and I remember having to cook on a propane camp stove.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:22 pm UTC

saurgoth wrote:Shouldn't this just be a map of the entire contiguous United States with the word "Katrina" stretching across it in huge letters?
No - FEMA, which magnified a very bad storm into a mismanaged disaster, and mismanaged relief so that the next very bad storm will be even more devastating.

After the Pacific Northwest 1962 storm, physically far worse than Katrina, we pulled ourselves out of trouble, without much federal disaster aid. The US Forest service built many roads in the national forests so the blowdown could be harvested for lumber, but this "windfall" may have distorted the timber economy, leading to unsustainable practices and production volumes that we are still recovering from.

Katrina was a bad storm, but it was political idiocy that made a monster of it: Corps of engineers - known inadequate levies around New Orleans, preventing natural diversion of the Mississipi at Morgan City. New Orleans mayor, downplaying evacuation, mass murder in a suit, his job was to scare the holy crap out of people, his behavior was to maintain tourist spending. In the aftermath, armed guards keeping refugees from fleeing. Corrupt diversion of relief funds. Most importantly for the future, spending those funds "resetting the target", rather than helping citizens leave a place unfit for long-term survival.

New Orleans is not the worst target. Ocean City, MD and Ocean Shores, WA are both built on sandspits, with one sandspit evacuation route out of each (O.C. has two narrow bridges, too). When (not if) they get a storm as big as Miami 1926, tens of thousands will die.

The US has had many, many bad storms over the last century. The dollar damage is skyrocketing, not because the storms are becoming worse or more frequent, but because we are building more expensive stuff in unsafe places, and destroying the natural areas (swamps, wetlands, coastal intertidal zones) that protected our grandparent's generation from those bad storms. We build right next to the water, because we want to be near it, and every few decades, the water comes to visit us at home.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:31 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:The worst I remember were right after that asteroid hit near Yucatán. The atmosphere was a mess for years!

Hah. The worst I remember is when the Higgs Field collapsed into massive particles. The loss in photino birds alone was unprecedented.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:46 pm UTC

Since I'm also on the wrong continent and latitude, the worst hurricane I remember was Bob Dylan's.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:07 pm UTC

Worst & Best for me was Irene in 2011. Somewhat screwed up a trip to North Carolina to see family as we were supposed to fly out of Logan that Sunday. My parents had driven in from NY state early on Saturday to catch the flight. Our flight ended up being rescheduled for Tuesday and that cut into a lot of the fun that was planned. OTOH - we were all at my sister's place and the 5 of us (incl her husband) rode out the storm w/ a weekend of drinking and card games. Then on Monday, we took my parents on their first trip to Newport, RI for what ended up being an all-around beautiful day.

Crisitunity!
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Harmonix

Postby Harmonix » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:00 pm UTC

Should've included Puerto Rico in this. Georges in '98 was pretty memorable, and so was Hugo in '89. MONTHS without electricity or running water. Great childhood memories!

cantab314

Postby cantab314 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:23 pm UTC

Churj wrote:I'm still pretty convinced that severe snowstorms/blizzards/ice storms are responsible for more deaths and damage in a year than hurricanes. It's quite difficult to find data on blizzard casualties, but I know that every year in southern Ontario there are dozens of people that die in weather-related car accidents during storms. That's not including people who die from exertion or heart-attacks trying to remove snow, from being stranded in extreme cold, from losing power to medical devices, etc. Then the icing on top is when all the snow melts in April or May and rivers start blowing their banks.
IIRC in most of Europe the most lethal weather is heat. It's estimated the 2003 heatwave killed something like 70,000 people.

As for myself, I can't think of any storms that actually affected me. The Birmingham tornado stopped about a mile short of my area, and nothing's done more than blow the garden furniture around at my current house.

TheStormRanger

Postby TheStormRanger » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:04 pm UTC

Alsadius wrote:The Hurricane Hazel area should be extended further north - it was still a hurricane when it hit Toronto and killed 81 people.

I do remember Opal being a thing when I was a kid, but I was so far north(Toronto area, as you may have guessed from the above comment) that it was really just another thunderstorm.

Hazel had undergone extratropical transition prior to reaching Canada, but still had hurricane force winds.

Opal brought a lot of rain and gusty winds to where I lived (metro Detroit). That is the first tropical system I really remember.

CigarDoug

Postby CigarDoug » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:21 pm UTC

cct wrote:Can anybody identify which hurricane should be marked on North Carolina, in the blank spot to the east of Isabel?

That would be Hazel 1954, which stretches all the way up through New York.
"If we all do one small thing to help; in our organizations, our churches, our community, how much can we accomplish together?"

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:10 pm UTC

Well, as far as west coast is concerned, there's a few storms that people talk about:

The Columbus day storm (mentioned by someone earlier) which was the remnants ofTyphoon Freda
People here in the bay area of california talk about "the big storm of 09" which was leftover from Typhoon melor
More southern california people would probably remember Hurricane Kathleen Back in 76
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:51 pm UTC

marsilies wrote:... Also, this site isn't journalism, it's a comic. This map is more of a thought experiment than a genuine attempt to suss out memories of hurricanes in the population.

Well, it's also dealing with the population of a country where, during the recent major elections, it was found that the best-informed voters were those who followed "sources" like the Daily Show and the Colbert Report. And, no matter how often the people who run those shows keep reminding everyone that they're professional comedians, not journalists, they keep finding that people take them seriously. The folks over at the Onion have made similar comments. People who only pay attention to "serious" journalism seem to be generally much less informed.

This probably says a lot about the quality of both journalism and humor/satire in the US these days. And it might be a hint about which we should be taking more seriously. ;-)

Mr. Goodwraith

Postby Mr. Goodwraith » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:16 pm UTC

Were the slice of Texas labeled "1916" and the piece of western North Carolina labeled "1916" actually hit by the same storm, or should one be "1916 I" and the other be "1916 II"?

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:19 pm UTC

juliancolton wrote:As a tropical cyclone researcher, I dig this map. I could nitpick and second-guess both the comic and myself for hours, but taken at face value it seems quite accurate for most regions. There are a few randbob storms ("King" '47, 1941 in TX) that, while perhaps quantitatively the rainiest or most intense at a particular location, few people are ever going to remember, let alone revere as the worst in recent history. That said, it's always tough to guess what people are going to consider the "worst" based on hard data alone—there is always a recentism bias when it comes to natural disasters, for example.

Worth noting that Esther actually occurred in 1961, not '51 as indicated in the comic.

When Randall does one of these infodump panels, I really wish he'd put something in the blog to explain where he got the data, and how it was processed - just a paragraph or two.

ce

cryptoengineer

Postby cryptoengineer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:31 pm UTC

cantab314 wrote:
Churj wrote:I'm still pretty convinced that severe snowstorms/blizzards/ice storms are responsible for more deaths and damage in a year than hurricanes. It's quite difficult to find data on blizzard casualties, but I know that every year in southern Ontario there are dozens of people that die in weather-related car accidents during storms. That's not including people who die from exertion or heart-attacks trying to remove snow, from being stranded in extreme cold, from losing power to medical devices, etc. Then the icing on top is when all the snow melts in April or May and rivers start blowing their banks.
IIRC in most of Europe the most lethal weather is heat. It's estimated the 2003 heatwave killed something like 70,000 people.

As for myself, I can't think of any storms that actually affected me. The Birmingham tornado stopped about a mile short of my area, and nothing's done more than blow the garden furniture around at my current house.

I once heard a European pundit talking on the subject of the weirdnesses of Americans. One point he made was that when Europeans talk about the weather, they don't really mean it; its just talk to fill an otherwise awkward lull in conversation. BUT, talk to Americans about weather, and their eyes light up, the grow animated, and the hold forth on the subject with verve and passion. The speaker says that he eventually realized was that in America, the weather can kill you. This was about 20 years ago, and he marveled at The Weather Channel, which posts weather forecasts for several thousand locations, updated every 10 minutes. At that time, nothing even close existed in Europe.

Also: http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/arts/twain1.htm

ce

Clix

Postby Clix » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:35 am UTC

For me it was definitely Charley. Damn thing decided to pivot shoreward (aka "The Wobble") on the barrier islands just west of where I live.
Spoiler:

Of course that whole season we were in the crosshairs.
2004 Season
Spoiler:

& of course before we could get all the blue tarps off the roofs along came 2005
Spoiler:

As gun shy as we were from the last season every a tropical wave came off of the Horn our stomachs tighten up.

Certainly a couple of intense years for SW FL, but as far as experiencing storms it's Charley for me.

<Edit: Spelling Corrections>
People need panic...panic in regular draghts. I read about the governments of the world, and I panic daily. It's a heart pumping workout that keeps my cheeks rosy and my vision crystal clear.
Thorax:Pigborn (Brooke McEldowney)

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:12 am UTC

If you think about this comic a bit, it can give you great insight into what we call "perspective".

Imagine two guys arguing in a bar:

Guy 1: Katrina was the worst hurricane in history.
Guy 2: No it wasn't. Camille is the worst.
Guy 1: What are you drinking anyway? Any moron knows Katrina is the worst.
Guy 2: What are you drinking? Camille destroyed everything!
etc.

Where does perspective enter? Both of them could be right, if they're from towns as little as 20 miles apart. In 1969, Camille caused $1.4 billion dollars damage in Harrison County, Mississippi. The areas it destroyed inland were not nearly so badly damaged by Katrina.

With such differences in perspective, is it any wonder people have so many arguments? Maybe we should wonder that there are so few.

P.S. The detail in Randall's map is just amazing. Where would you even find source data for all that?
In all fairness...

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:45 am UTC

MauriceReeves wrote:Living near Harrisburg, I have to say Agnes is the one everyone talks about. Eloise barely gets a mention. Hazel, Ivan, and Sandy were all pretty bad, but it's always Agnes.

But still an awesome map.

I was trying to post some URLs, but every time I did, I got flagged as spam, so I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to find pics, etc. Accuweather has a great gallery of the destruction.

Came to talk about Agnes too. Not as strong as Sandy, but locally in central and eastern PA it dumped a lot of rain that seemed to stall over the area. It's still the wettest tropical cyclone on record for the state of Pennsylvania. People in Wilkes-Barre were trapped by the flood waters.

Once the storm leaves, there's still a lot of water flowing from small streams into small rivers, then into big rivers, and all the way down to the sea. And back then in 1972, they didn't have the flood prevention measures we had by the time Sandy came through.

In Scranton, it's the double whammy of Connie and Diane in 1955. There was an area of the city named Little England. It's now a baseball and soccer field area because those two lady hurricanes swelled the Roaring Brook up and it took that working class area away.

Jragonlord

Postby Jragonlord » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:39 am UTC

... To ask a question that seems a little under-asked here, what hurricanes correspond to Texas, 1916 and 1941; Louisiana, 1915 and 1918; Florida, 1921, 1928, both 1935s, 1944, and 1946; South Carolina, 1940; and all the other dates-without-names I'm going to be too lazy to write down?

pixeldigger

Postby pixeldigger » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:56 am UTC

Coyne wrote:If you think about this comic a bit, it can give you great insight into what we call "perspective".

Imagine two guys arguing in a bar:

Guy 1: Katrina was the worst hurricane in history.
Guy 2: No it wasn't. Camille is the worst.
Guy 1: What are you drinking anyway? Any moron knows Katrina is the worst.
Guy 2: What are you drinking? Camille destroyed everything!
etc.

Where does perspective enter? Both of them could be right, if they're from towns as little as 20 miles apart. In 1969, Camille caused $1.4 billion dollars damage in Harrison County, Mississippi. The areas it destroyed inland were not nearly so badly damaged by Katrina.

With such differences in perspective, is it any wonder people have so many arguments? Maybe we should wonder that there are so few.

P.S. The detail in Randall's map is just amazing. Where would you even find source data for all that?

This is also where people like me get so upset when hearing about Katrina.
Katrina destroyed almost everything near the coast from Bay St Louis MS all the way to Pascagoula MS, and even brushed New Orleans. The lucky folks in New Orleans just had standing floodwaters from a broken levee to deal with.
Do people remember how the people of MS banded together and rebuilt their homes and towns?
NO they remember the city that flooded the day after the hurricane.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:09 am UTC

Jragonlord wrote:... To ask a question that seems a little under-asked here, what hurricanes correspond to Texas, 1916 and 1941; Louisiana, 1915 and 1918; Florida, 1921, 1928, both 1935s, 1944, and 1946; South Carolina, 1940; and all the other dates-without-names I'm going to be too lazy to write down?

Titles weren't used until 1950. Names weren't used phonetically until 1953. Alternating boy-girl names didn't start until 1979.

http://www.gohsep.la.gov/factsheets/Why ... eNamed.htm

If you google "great storm of 1916 Texas", you get Wikipedia entries like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... _hurricane

That way, you'll get to read on all the ones that devastated areas before they were named.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:02 pm UTC

Map is about right, while I slept through Fran in '96, in central NC, I woke up to dozens of trees down on our property. None of the others recently have gone straight over the center of the state like that.

About the 'In America, the weather can kill you' comment, that's really true. If you think about it, nearly every area of the US has some sort of disaster that comes by periodically that you have to deal with. Heavy blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes, heat waves, typhoons, floods and landslides, not to mention volcanoes and earthquakes.

I'd like to see a map of the 'safest' and 'most dangerous' areas of the US by natural disaster.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:58 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:About the 'In America, the weather can kill you' comment, that's really true. If you think about it, nearly every area of the US has some sort of disaster that comes by periodically that you have to deal with. Heavy blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes, heat waves, typhoons, floods and landslides, not to mention volcanoes and earthquakes.

I'd like to see a map of the 'safest' and 'most dangerous' areas of the US by natural disaster.

The safest is probably the desert southwest; you don't get anything on your list but heat waves, and if you live in a desert and aren't ready for a heat wave... and they're short enough on growing things that the big disaster you didn't list (wildfires) won't happen there, either.

The most dangerous depends on how much you like gambling...

Widespread low-grade damage fairly often? Hurricane country in the south.

"Where'd everything go?" in one- or two-square-mile stripes across the landscape a few times a year? Tornado Alley in the midwest.

"Where'd everything go?" in a statewide area once every few thousand years? Go stand on a faultline in California and wait. You can have some smaller earthquakes and landslides and wildfires in the meantime.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:13 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:If you think about it, nearly every area of the US has some sort of disaster that comes by periodically that you have to deal with. Heavy blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes, heat waves, typhoons, floods and landslides, not to mention volcanoes and earthquakes.

You left out Arizona's newest and most popular weather darling, "haboob", replacing the traditional favorite "wildfire".

I'm trying to remember the hurricane, would have been somewhere around 1979-82, that I could see all the way over here. Hundreds of miles inland, and the sky was banded in what had to be concentric circles centered all the way over on the Texas coast. I've looked through the list of storm names for those years and none of them rings a bell, but I remember thinking at the time it was a name like "Debbie" that would be embarrassing to tell people in later years was what killed your grandfather.

HES

Totally necessary.

Postby HES » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:39 pm UTC

Ha! Boob!
He/Him/His Image

algorerhythms

Postby algorerhythms » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:58 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:Map is about right, while I slept through Fran in '96, in central NC, I woke up to dozens of trees down on our property. None of the others recently have gone straight over the center of the state like that.

About the 'In America, the weather can kill you' comment, that's really true. If you think about it, nearly every area of the US has some sort of disaster that comes by periodically that you have to deal with. Heavy blizzards, hurricanes, tornadoes, heat waves, typhoons, floods and landslides, not to mention volcanoes and earthquakes.

I recall seeing a map like that (I think it was on the New York Times website, but don't really feel like tracking it down right now). The most dangerous area was North Texas and Oklahoma, primarily due to tornado, wildfire, and flood risks. The safest areas were (IIRC) eastern Oregon and northern West Virginia.

edit -- Found it after a quick Google search.
The nerdy webcomic that I update on Saturdays: Cesium Comics

Mr. Goodwraith

Postby Mr. Goodwraith » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:32 pm UTC

Tried to post about this before but the post never made it out of moderation: Were the areas marked "1916" in Texas and western North Carolina both affected by the same storm, or should one be marked "1916 I" and the other one marked "1916 II"?

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:42 pm UTC

Mr. Goodwraith wrote:Tried to post about this before but the post never made it out of moderation: Were the areas marked "1916" in Texas and western North Carolina both affected by the same storm, or should one be marked "1916 I" and the other one marked "1916 II"?

Texas was 1916-6. It was the strongest one of the year.

Western NC would have been 1916-4, a few weeks earlier. Total damage for the whole year was estimated at $33.3 million (1916 value). Between $15-20 million of that was caused by 1916-4 in the Carolinas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... ane_season

da Doctah

Re: Totally necessary.

Postby da Doctah » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:59 pm UTC

HES wrote:Ha! Boob!

"Haboob" is an Arabic term, for the people who are happy with the concept that dust storms in Arizona are similar to the ones in North Africa and the Arabian peninsula. Those who insist on the Norse-based term "dust storm" apparently think our deserts are more like Denmark.

Those who prefer an term from a language that actually originates in our own climate call the phenomenon a "jegos" (pronounced JAY-guss). There are very few such.

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:25 pm UTC

pixeldigger wrote:This is also where people like me get so upset when hearing about Katrina.
Katrina destroyed almost everything near the coast from Bay St Louis MS all the way to Pascagoula MS, and even brushed New Orleans. The lucky folks in New Orleans just had standing floodwaters from a broken levee to deal with.
Do people remember how the people of MS banded together and rebuilt their homes and towns?
NO they remember the city that flooded the day after the hurricane.

Yes, I know about Mississippi. The press is annoying on subjects such as that. I was born in Wyoming; going by the press, "it doesn't matter either."

In its pursuit of ratings, the press no longer deals with the real human issues. New Orleans was showy; lots of opportunity for camera shots of water flowing through the gap, buildings being inundated, people wading (or boating around) and lots and lots of talking heads to show on camera. More than that, people have actually heard of New Orleans, and some of them have been there.

Mississippi coast...well, there mostly wasn't anyone to show and, like, you know, "No one lives there. Who wants to hear about Biloxi, or Gulfport? Who's ever even heard of those places? And there's nothing to see, who wants to see pictures of empty concrete pads and heaps of debris?"

"Nah. Go with New Orleans."
In all fairness...

ivnja
The spirit of things can bugger right off.

Postby ivnja » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:12 am UTC

I was having trouble trying to visualize the patterns in the comic, so I put together a thematic overlay splitting the hurricanes out by decade.
Decades_brownscale.png

Then I decided that that one was boring, so I made a colorful version as well.
Decades_colors.png

I have the digitized hurricane polygons and the background map as layers in a GIS, so I can play with it some more if anyone has suggestions for things they want to see. The only attribute data I have entered at the moment are name and year for each polygon. Sorry about the straight lines connecting the loose ends, but I didn't feel like getting fancy with it.
Hi you.
She(?!)

thetreethinker

Postby thetreethinker » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:13 am UTC

Interesting case of nomenclature here. Kristi Trautenhahn (who died when swept by the flood
into an elevator) and the entire Texas Medical Center would say that Ike was
not the worst storm to hit Houston.

A storm that did not exist at noon on Tuesday struck Houston
that evening as a "tropical storm Allison," wallowed around East Texas, and returned to
dump about 12 inches of rain on downtown Houston and the Texas Medical Center,
causing more than 2 billion dollars' damage in those locations, while West Houston got
a gentle coastal soaking.

By comparison, Ike's damage to Houston (yes, it leveled Bolivar Peninsula) was chiefly some
lost trees and loss of power.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:42 am UTC

ivnja wrote:I was having trouble trying to visualize the patterns in the comic, so I put together a thematic overlay splitting the hurricanes out by decade.
Decades_brownscale.png

If you have accomplished nothing else, you have really made Florida look like a dong.

(I blame the "ha boob!" joke above.)

addams

Postby addams » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:51 am UTC

keithl wrote:sniped - but no comment. Unsporting.

My worst "hurricane" was Typhoon Freda in October 1962, age 9, near Portland Oregon. "some reports put the peak velocity at 179 miles per hour (288 km/h)". Blew out the walls of the gym at the grade school - since I hated gym, this was a plus. We ate meals cooked on the woodstove-like fireplace for days until the power came back on. Most men my father's age spent the week afterwards picking up rubble instead of going to work - we kids picked up little stuff.

Rebuilding a greenhouse for the backyard now, with that storm in mind. The pre-rebuild greenhouse may have been built from salvage from the 1962 storm.

Our next big disaster may be a Cascadia Subduction Zone earthquake. It will probably topple most of the tall buildings in Portland, and just about everything built with brick before 2000 AD, when the building codes were updated to reflect new geological discoveries. The last one in 1700 caused a 30 meter tsunami that wiped out most of the coastal tribes, killed dozens as far away as Japan, and dropped a cubic mile of mountain into the Columbia river. Hurricane, schmurricane.

You remember that??
Me, too.

Those were some weird years.
1962, 1964, 1965.
Water, Water EveryWhere.

I must Anchor a GreenHouse.
I am a little worried about the project.

If not done correctly, a GreenHouse is a Kite.
I know that thing can Roll.

Now I am worried about the Worse Storm in My Memory.
It might be coming right up.

If the Gales of November come early.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

marsilies

Postby marsilies » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:31 pm UTC

thetreethinker wrote:Interesting case of nomenclature here. Kristi Trautenhahn (who died when swept by the flood
into an elevator) and the entire Texas Medical Center would say that Ike was
not the worst storm to hit Houston...

Which is probably why the map of the worst Hurricanes. If you try to factor in all storms, the dataset would likely be too large to make a generalized map.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:14 pm UTC

ivnja wrote:I was having trouble trying to visualize the patterns in the comic, so I put together a thematic overlay splitting the hurricanes out by decade.
Decades_brownscale.png

Then I decided that that one was boring, so I made a colorful version as well.
Decades_colors.png

I have the digitized hurricane polygons and the background map as layers in a GIS, so I can play with it some more if anyone has suggestions for things they want to see. The only attribute data I have entered at the moment are name and year for each polygon. Sorry about the straight lines connecting the loose ends, but I didn't feel like getting fancy with it.

That is Beautiful.
Such a useful and interesting thing.

Yep. Florida looks like a penis.

We have Storms, too.
We have beaches with greater elevation gain than all of Florida has.

It is possible to get up 300 ft above the surface of the Ocean.

Of course, you can do that in Florida, too.
Here, a person can be 300 ft above the Ocean, standing on Rock with ones arms wrapped around a Tree;
And; Still see the Ocean Surface, when it is not continuous with the water in the air.

Weird place to be during a Storm.
The locals all know it is Dangerous.

I was surprised how many of us were Up There.
I went during a Hurricane.

ok. What is a Hurricane? again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane

Tropical cyclones are typically between 100 and 4,000 km (62 and 2,485 mi) in diameter. A cyclone is turned into a hurricane when the wind speed reaches 120 kilometres per hour (75 mph).

A seventy five mile an hour wind is not that big a deal, if you are in a car or truck.

I was hit with a Gust of Wind while out doing a dangerous thing.
It moved the car I was in, sideways.

I straightened that car out, facing into the wind.
When things died down a bit, I got the fuck out of there.

My car was too light.

If a Storm like that hit Florida,
Florida would be all cleaned up and ready for a Make Over.

That storm did not even get a Name, that I know of.
I was able to watch it on Radar.

It effected an area 3,000 miles from where it hit land to where it finely went back out to sea.
It was deflected by the Canadian Rockies. Like a child's toy hitting a Rock Fence. It went back to sea.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

operagost

Postby operagost » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:46 pm UTC

alvinhochun wrote:Worst hurricane that I remember: None, because I don't live in the US and I am not an American.

Why you thought this was worth posting, I have no idea.

operagost

Postby operagost » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

cryptoengineer wrote:
cantab314 wrote:

I once heard a European pundit talking on the subject of the weirdnesses of Americans.
The speaker says that he eventually realized was that in America, the weather can kill you.

Yeah, being afraid of dying is SO WEIRD.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

operagost wrote:
cryptoengineer wrote:
cantab314 wrote:

I once heard a European pundit talking on the subject of the weirdnesses of Americans.
The speaker says that he eventually realized was that in America, the weather can kill you.

Again:
It's estimated the 2003 heatwave killed something like 70,000 people.

That is a huge number of individual human lives lost.
To heat?

I know.

Everyone walks around knowing that one day they will be No More.
I don't know what Europeans think should Do It.

They have weather, too.
They expect it to be Tame.

Like Wild Dragons are ever Tame.
They know what to expect and behave accordingly.

That is what Americans do, too.
Sometimes, in the past, we did not know what to expect.

We have had some Strange Weather.
One day a mountain Blew Up.

It rained Ash for a Week.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

HES

Postby HES » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:46 am UTC

To be fair, heat, cold, floods and strong winds kill people in the UK too. We just have far fewer people in the first place.

I wonder how storm-related drowning events compare, proportionally, between the two countries?
He/Him/His Image

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:22 pm UTC

HES wrote:To be fair, heat, cold, floods and strong winds kill people in the UK too. We just have far fewer people in the first place.

I wonder how storm-related drowning events compare, proportionally, between the two countries?

It is true that England and Ireland are older than the west of the US.
In many ways, they are Older.

There was a time when ya' all lost a few to Volcanos.
Now all that is left are the remnants of the storms.

All that Bassalt had to come from Somewhere.
Your ancestors were My ancestors.

The ones that missed the Valcanos went looking for them.
Eureka! We found 'em!

Some people say we have Genetic Memory.

We want what our ancestors wanted.
We remember, without knowing how, what our ancestors knew.

We migrate to The Sea.
We go Inland to get to another Sea.

You don't notice.
You are on an Island.

Of course, your people get in over their heads.
You are on an Island!

You have far fewer people.
That Fact took me by surprise.

Europe is where White People come from.
The US is where the excess go.

ok. All of that made sense.
I woke up in England one day.

What??
Where are All The People?

A few big cities and the rest of the place is CountrySide?
How does that happen? The White People left? All of them?

Nope.
Not all of them.

England and Ireland are The Nest.
When it gets crowded, they are shipped off, they are shot, hung, heads chopped off....

That flavor of White People does not do well in crowed situations.
That! Is why England may need strict immigration rules.

I know.
I know.

White people look all pasty pale and weak.
Still...Don't mess with them.

They can be more dangerous than The Weather!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”