1416: "Pixels"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eternal Density

Re: 1416: "Pixels"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:46 am UTC

Dr What wrote:I found something weird. Sometimes when I zoom in an image, it suddenly changed to another one. Did anybody notice this bug?
If you zoom in the center area, the images will change. Might be some bound-related issues.

Yes I zoomed in on a boundary and had that happen. I think I mentioned it.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:10 am UTC

OK.
Now, along with all of the other random, vaguely related stuff in my head is,

From The Stars?
In General.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Elmach

Postby Elmach » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:38 am UTC

Having just seen this comic, I will post my observations.

1): Double-clicking inside the comic (in Chrome) zooms in.
2): The comic chosen seems to have to do with the value of the pixel: the zeroth layer of one picture leads to an array of two different images.
3): It is very laggy after diving deep.
4): You cannot zoom out from the zeroth layer.

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:26 am UTC

xkcd broke my 'puter!

It's a bit buggy. No precaching so when I get to the next level I get hit with 3 or more 9600px wide images (discuss that!). Then I had to force a restart.

read the code comments...ALL HAIL davean!!

Note: this is a blindpost. Y'all probably already said every single thing I brought up.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

Rufaellie
Location: Something only has location compared to something else.

Postby Rufaellie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:15 am UTC

By the way, on the alt text it seems Randall is alluding to something.
Rufaellie wrote:I think at least twice.

Rufaellie

Postby Rufaellie » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:44 am UTC

Okay, I found out some things:

1. The rabbit hole goes pretty deep. (turtle hole?)
2. Scrolling in a black space, if you don't actively move your cursor it isn't likely you will get a white.
3. Same vice versa.
4. There tend to be more comics in the white spaces.
5. If you scroll into an "E", it's pretty much "E"s from there down..
6. Unless you very precisely scroll at the halfway-point between black and white and keep adjusting the difference, at which point you find some interesting things.
7. I found something and I didn't know my laptop screen capture and accidentally closed it. I'm going back in.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:29 am UTC

Is it just me or the up and down arrows stopped working? I tried different browsers and it doesn't work in any of them anymore. That's a shame. Maybe it's because the arrows allowed people to zoom really quickly and it was overloading the servers? Good thing I captured the video when it was still working, I can't imagine doing it with my scroll wheel.

Edit: Oh wait, it worked for a while and then it stopped again and I can't figure out what triggers it.

Edit2: Ok, you have to click with right mouse button (context menu opens) and then click with left mouse button inside the comic. Once the comic loses focus (clicking elsewhere on the site), you have to repeat the process.
Is that a bug or a hidden feature so that not many people use it? If it's the second, I'm ruining it right now.

Edit3: Another way of really fast scrolling (found on Reddit): click with middle mouse button inside the comic, then move cursor up or down. It allows you to gradually change the speed of zooming but you can't change the "direction" (what you are zooming into).
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

ahecht

Postby ahecht » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:27 pm UTC

Andromeda321 wrote:Further, most of the panels repeat, but I saw one joke that repeated- the boy and girl wondering to each other "let's be honest- can we really tell if anyone lives in Stockholm?" I'm sure the Swedish will be happy. :lol: (For the record, pretty sure some people live there as I went there last spring, and it seemed like a nice enough place.)

I think you got the quote wrong. It's "How do we know anyone really wants to live in Stockholm", which makes the Stockholm syndrome reference a lot more obvious.

Earthling on Mars
Morning

Postby Earthling on Mars » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:36 pm UTC

MarkW wrote:Next up: combine Height and Depth to visualize sizes from the Planck length up to the observable universe. Added stops on the way down could include other baryons, quarks, DNA, flea egg, etc... and stops on the way up might show star sizes, galaxy morphology, and the large scale structure of the universe. Loop the top and bottom.

This is something like that. Lacking xkcd-ness, of course.

HES

Postby HES » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:48 pm UTC

Earthling on Mars wrote:This is something like that. Lacking xkcd-ness, of course.

Ah, yes. I wanted to share to that, but couldn't remember where it was, or who linked me to it in the first place.
He/Him/His Image

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:34 pm UTC

What is this? It looks like a tiger to me...
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:51 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:What is this? It looks like a tiger to me...

I believe it's a Carbon nucleus. Not to scale, obviously, since you can see the six orbiting whatevers around it at a zoom where the central object is not a featureless point...

HES

Postby HES » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:52 pm UTC

An explosion, I think.

Ninja'd with a better idea.
Last edited by HES on Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His Image

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:11 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure that's an atom. Inside there are strings.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:21 pm UTC

Something changed.
Yesterday it was possible to zoom using the arrow keys.
Today it isn't.

Without a mouse wheel,
is there another way to zoom?
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:38 pm UTC

balthasar_s: Have you read my post above (the one with several edits?)? You can use arrows but you have to click with right or middle mouse button inside the comic first, then with left button and then you can use arrow keys.
Time. The final frontier. These are the voyages of Cueball and Megan. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Silhalnor

Postby Silhalnor » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:19 am UTC

I like how the white areas always expand to well lit images while the black areas expand to dark images.

I wonder... what is the ratio of black to white in this comic?
Something like this: http://www.xkcd.com/688/
And maybe a little of this: http://www.xkcd.com/356/

Lukeonia1

Postby Lukeonia1 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:07 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:No matter where I zoom, I get black pixels at the next iteration...

Same here. If I zoom in on white, I get nothing but BOOK LAUNCH and starfield pixels. If I zoom in on black I get some Saturns and MUs, but still mostly BOOK LAUNCH and starfields. Fifty layers deep and still nothing resembling a comic.

I am disappoint...

Rufaellie

Postby Rufaellie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:11 am UTC

I thought this sequence was interesting:

Start with some rocket parts.

Building...

Buidling...

Building...

And cue the struts.

Close up of the rocket indicates it says "What If" there.

Looks done.

And lift off!

*Gasp!*

The end!

It's Book Launch, the comic!

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:23 am UTC

So, turns out there is precaching. Just that the images are too large to run well inside the Canvas element. Or whatever. I wonder if someone can explain why the images have to be so wide, mostly blank space. I know that they are in blocks of 600x600...

Earthling on Mars wrote:This.
That is so cool. But also, incredibly creepy.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:07 pm UTC

Rufaellie wrote:I thought this sequence was interesting:

[image sequence elided]

The end!

Actually not the end. It switches to the black pixels at that point, where the rocket goes into space.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Rufaellie

Postby Rufaellie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:26 pm UTC

xtifr wrote:
Rufaellie wrote:I thought this sequence was interesting:

[image sequence elided]

The end!

Actually not the end. It switches to the black pixels at that point, where the rocket goes into space.

Oooh, I missed that because I stuck with the white pixels. Cool.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

This isn't working for me at all in Firefox 31 or 32, even on two completely different computers. IE11 works fine, though. (See? It's good for something.)

All I get is "Book Launch" in seemingly random places. Before I saw this thread (and was inspired to try IE) it struck me as painfully lame and self-promoting.
xkcdbug.png

ysth

Postby ysth » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:22 am UTC

A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Xenocat

Postby Xenocat » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:34 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:This isn't working for me at all in Firefox 31 or 32, even on two completely different computers. IE11 works fine, though. (See? It's good for something.)

All I get is "Book Launch" in seemingly random places. Before I saw this thread (and was inspired to try IE) it struck me as painfully lame and self-promoting.

The issue in Firefox seems to be that only the "dark pixel" images ever get displayed. That is, every pixel, even the light pixels, turns into a "dark pixel" image when you zoom in, and so the "light pixel" images never get displayed and you miss out on most of the content.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:55 pm UTC

Xenocat wrote:The issue in Firefox seems to be that only the "dark pixel" images ever get displayed. That is, every pixel, even the light pixels, turns into a "dark pixel" image when you zoom in, and so the "light pixel" images never get displayed and you miss out on most of the content.

Except it is and has been working fine for me with Firefox 31. Well, Iceweasel 31, but that's basically the same thing except for absence of protected trademarks and the associated legal limitations, and I refuse to believe that replacing a few icons and static text strings make this sort of difference.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:07 pm UTC

xtifr wrote:
Xenocat wrote:The issue in Firefox seems to be that only the "dark pixel" images ever get displayed. That is, every pixel, even the light pixels, turns into a "dark pixel" image when you zoom in, and so the "light pixel" images never get displayed and you miss out on most of the content.

Except it is and has been working fine for me with Firefox 31. Well, Iceweasel 31, but that's basically the same thing except for absence of protected trademarks and the associated legal limitations, and I refuse to believe that replacing a few icons and static text strings make this sort of difference.

A probable cause is that your premise is false and there are more differences between FF31 and IW31 than meets the eye.
Another cause could be that you are the one using /.*n[ui]x/ and firefox is simply buggy on windows.
Yet another cause could be that all of us FF users are running strange GPU configurations, e.g. I have nvidia optimus.

NoMouse

Postby NoMouse » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:53 am UTC

I have FF32 (and had FF31 when the comic came up) on Windows with Nvidia Optimus and it's working fine for me. Well, a little bit slower but it displays everything correctly. Maybe some extensions can ruin it?

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:02 am UTC

ysth wrote:Can someone explain this one:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/turtledown/cantor-tiled.png

It's a representation of a construction of the cantor set.

styrofoam

Postby styrofoam » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:36 pm UTC

Are you turtley enough for the turtle club?
aadams wrote:I am a very nice whatever it is I am.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:52 pm UTC

NoMouse wrote:I have FF32 (and had FF31 when the comic came up) on Windows with Nvidia Optimus and it's working fine for me. Well, a little bit slower but it displays everything correctly. Maybe some extensions can ruin it?

I have FF31 (Soon to be 32 since checking triggered an update) and it does work, just badly.
He/Him/His Image

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:26 am UTC

Xenomortis wrote:
ysth wrote:Can someone explain this one:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/turtledown/cantor-tiled.png

It's a representation of a construction of the cantor set.

I've known about the Cantor set for a while, but this part of the Wikipedia page still freaks me out:

Wikipedia wrote:... a closer look at the process reveals that there must be something left, since removing the "middle third" of each interval involved removing open sets (sets that do not include their endpoints). So removing the line segment (1/3, 2/3) from the original interval [0, 1] leaves behind the points 1/3 and 2/3. Subsequent steps do not remove these (or other) endpoints, since the intervals removed are always internal to the intervals remaining. So the Cantor set is not empty, and in fact contains an uncountably infinite number of points.

So far, so good. I mean, provided you accept that a strict subset can contain the same number of elements as its superset. But let's not be picky here.
Wikipedia wrote:It may appear that only the endpoints are left, ...

Yes. That must be it. It's obvious. Anything else would be ridiculous.
Wikipedia wrote:... but that is not the case either. The number 1/4, for example, is in the bottom third, so it is not removed at the first step, and is in the top third of the bottom third, and is in the bottom third of that, and in the top third of that, and so on ad infinitum—alternating between top and bottom thirds. Since it is never in one of the middle thirds, it is never removed, and yet it is also not one of the endpoints of any middle third. The number 3/10 is also in the Cantor set and is not an endpoint.

Huh? How can it be? But these are special cases, though, right? Most of what's left is the endpoints?
Wikipedia wrote:In the sense of cardinality, most members of the Cantor set are not endpoints of deleted intervals.

:?: :!: :twisted:

So, @ysth: No, I don't think anyone can explain it. (Though many internets to whoever wrote that Wikipedia section.)
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:08 pm UTC

Spoilered because the Cantor set is only tangentially related,
Spoiler:
It's easier to rationalise about the middle-third Cantor set if you use base three (so 0.1 = 1/3).
At the start, we have the interval [0, 1] = [0, 0.222...]
We then remove the "middle-third", so our set is [0, 0.1] ∪ [0.2, 1] (or alternatively, [0, 0.022...] ∪ [0.2. 0.22...])
Removing the middle thirds again leaves us with: [0, 0.01] ∪ [0.02, 0.1] ∪ [0.2, 0.21] ∪ [0.22, 1]

It becomes clear, if we write them in recurring form (replace a terminating 1 with recurring 2's), that the members of the Cantor set are precisely those with no 1's in their base three representation.
The "nth" step of the construction removes all numbers with a 1 at the nth position.

The Cantor set is the subset of [0,1] whose members admit a ternary representation with no 1's.

For example, 1/4 = 0.25 (base 10) = 0.020202... (base 3) - there's no step at which it could have been eliminated - it lies outside all possible "middle thirds".
There are infinitely many such numbers and its easy to construct them; take the binary representation of any number, replace the 1's with 2's and you'll have a the ternary representation of a member of the Cantor set.
And therein lies another important fact; the Cantor set contains just as many numbers as the interval [0, 1] and it's trivial to form a bijection between the two.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”