1439: "Rack Unit"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Chris Dude70

1439: "Rack Unit"

Postby Chris Dude70 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:07 am UTC

Title Text: There's also nothing in the TOSes that says you can't let a dog play baseball in the server room!

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get honey out of the internet tubes?
Last edited by Chris Dude70 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Story

Re: 1439: Rack Unit

Postby Story » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:14 am UTC

What I'm wondering is how he managed to get past security in the first place.

madaco

Postby madaco » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:21 am UTC

relevant homestuck quote:

"one of your BEEHOUSE MAINFRAMES. The silicomb was sliced clean through by your foolish maneuver. What were you thinking???

The workers pair up and dance angry messages to you in beenary code."

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003978
I found my old forum signature to be awkward, so I'm changing it to this until I pick a better one.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:33 am UTC

Last edited by keithl on Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:41 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:34 am UTC

I wonder how long it'll be before someone builds a beehive in an old server rack. It would have to lie on its back so the frames are vertical.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:39 am UTC

This would explain why my Gmail inbox went down. And was clogged with bee pupae.

Garnett

Postby Garnett » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:03 am UTC

It's funny that the black hat choose Google for this prank, given that they already have onsite beehives.

Positron

Postby Positron » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:42 am UTC

Garnett wrote:It's funny that the black hat choose Google for this prank, given that they already have onsite beehives.

Apparently not onsite enough for BHG's taste. Good to see him back in either case :D

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:47 am UTC

With the serious threat of decline of the honeybees, I think this is one very important way that tech companies can commit to environmentally sound practices.

Right up there with the wolf-reintroduction program.

Wheeljack

Postby Wheeljack » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:51 am UTC

So that's what a honeypot is.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:03 am UTC

Don't tell me. BHG was the guy who decided that CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs should all have the same physical dimensions.

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:18 am UTC

Theres probably just a catch-all in the TOS that it will fall into.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:21 am UTC

Having been a musician for (even) longer than I've been in IT, I still think of 19 inch racks in terms of effects racks and digital sound modules, with rack servers being a subsidiary usage.

BHG could therefore relocate his hives to the backline of DSP-savvy guitarists like The Edge or Dave Gilmour.
Spoiler:
yes, I am showing my age with those references, I'm sure there are lots of young whippersnappers in more up-to-the-minute popular beat combos using equally impressive tech setups. Those guys are the last time I paid any serious attention to electric guitars.

Or BHG could go and make albums with the Beeach Boys, or the Beeastie Boys, or Beeyonce.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:52 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:Don't tell me. BHG was the guy who decided that CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs should all have the same physical dimensions.

What's wrong with that? This way my blu-ray player can play all the older formats and my DVD player could play CD's. It saves a bunch of room in my devices stack.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

nigenet
Location: Sunny Buxton, Derbyshire, UK (Where the water comes from)

Postby nigenet » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:24 am UTC

Story wrote:What I'm wondering is how he managed to get past security in the first place.

It's Black Hat Guy. It's probably best not to ask... ;-)
"Your mother ate my dog!"
"Not all of him..."

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:11 pm UTC

sfmans wrote:Having been a musician for (even) longer than I've been in IT, I still think of 19 inch racks in terms of effects racks and digital sound modules, with rack servers being a subsidiary usage.

BHG could therefore relocate his hives to the backline of DSP-savvy guitarists like The Edge or Dave Gilmour.
Spoiler:
yes, I am showing my age with those references, I'm sure there are lots of young whippersnappers in more up-to-the-minute popular beat combos using equally impressive tech setups. Those guys are the last time I paid any serious attention to electric guitars.

Or BHG could go and make albums with the Beeach Boys, or the Beeastie Boys, or Beeyonce.

19" racks are soooo 1990's. Honeycombs in API Lunchbox size are where it's at.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:24 pm UTC

Only problem with the beehive/server colo plan is that servers like it cold while bees like it warm.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

gson

Postby gson » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:45 pm UTC

There are also racks of lamb, which are measured in ewes.

CapCouillon

Postby CapCouillon » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:37 pm UTC

Thanks for the heads up... Just added to my standard Disclaimer/TOS

Spoiler:
This product is meant for educational purposes only. Unedited and uncensored. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. Not for internal use. Not FCC Approved. At your own risk only. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Software is not returnable. Do not use in shower or while sleeping. Consult physician before taking in conjunction with other products. Due to the methods of production, each garment will be slightly different; this is meant to make each one individual. Store above 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Not a lifesaving device. Cape does not enable user to fly. Keep fingers and toes out from underneath. Contents are measured by weight, not volume. There is a danger of explosion and risk of personal injury if the battery is incorrectly replaced or mistreated; do not attempt to recharge the battery, disassemble it, immerse it in water, or dispose of it in fire. To reduce the risk of electrical shock, do not remove the third (ground) prong. Before beginning these procedures, ensure that you are discharged of static electricity. Allow components to cool before touching. Installing incorrectly may cause damage. Do not force. To protect against data loss, create a backup disk before proceeding. May cause drowsiness. May prevent sleep. Use as a handle at your own risk. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. We have attempted to preserve the sound of the original recording; however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape due to its high resolution. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem to be right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Not edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to insure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flame. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Not tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs, or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Bee-keeping in server racks prohibited. Batteries not included.

Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper assembly, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized usage, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, raptor attacks, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.).

Other restrictions may apply.

Hope this avoids the dreaded zero day exploit...

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:59 pm UTC

This strip reeks of the old refrain "But Mom, you didn't specifically say I couldn't do [fill in stupid activity]!"

I tried and failed to resist, so troll alert the question is maybe "do ToSes list everything allowed or everything disallowed? Kind of like the US Constitution only lists disallowed, and everything else is allowed..."
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:22 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Only problem with the beehive/server colo plan is that servers like it cold while bees like it warm.

Beehives overheat at lower temperatures than servers do.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:24 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Only problem with the beehive/server colo plan is that servers like it cold while bees like it warm.

Tangentially related: bees cook hornets
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:17 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

In Tudor England, houses like the splendid Little Moreton Hall used to have a niche built into the chimney on the outside, in which beehives could be placed during the winter to keep them warm. The Tudors were living in the Little Ice Age, so perhaps placing the hives in the cold server room is the Global-Warming-Age equivalent.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

gtb

Postby gtb » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:56 pm UTC

Actually, I am surprised BHG did not take his beehive frame to IKEA for the next experimental phase (see lackrack.org).

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:50 pm UTC

I'm still trying to figure out if the title text is some inside joke. I mean, of ALL the things Randall could have used as an example of TOS preclusions, why choose "dogs playing baseball in the server room" ??? WTF? Or am I missing something obvious?

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:16 am UTC

I believe it's a reference to the movie Air Bud. Select quote: "Ain't no rules says a dog can't play basketball."
Compare that to the title text: "There's also nothing in the TOSes that says you can't let a dog play baseball in the server room!"

Also referenced in comic 115:

Gorilla, yes. Adorable golden retriever, yes. But it says nothing about meerkats.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:51 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I believe it's a reference to the movie Air Bud. Select quote: "Ain't no rules says a dog can't play basketball."
Compare that to the title text: "There's also nothing in the TOSes that says you can't let a dog play baseball in the server room!"

Must be. Didn't see the movie. Close enough to the original meme to make sense. +1

Anoria

Postby Anoria » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:21 am UTC

I will now be severely disappointed if the next post-civilization-collapse story I read doesn't involve a group of survivors keeping bees in an abandoned datacenter. (Is credit required for that sort of reference?)

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:25 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:I believe it's a reference to the movie Air Bud. Select quote: "Ain't no rules says a dog can't play basketball."

Also referenced in comic 115:

Gorilla, yes. Adorable golden retriever, yes. But it says nothing about meerkats.

It's also referred to colloquially as the air bud clause, a phrase that was probably originally coined by the webcomic 8-Bit Theater

CringeWalrus

Postby CringeWalrus » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:02 am UTC

Servers in fact do not like it cold and Google doesn't keep theirs cold either: gugle dot com /about/datacenters/efficiency/internal/#temperature (I can't post the URL because the forum thinks it's spam)

For that matter, I'd doubt that Google datacenters are filled with 19 in racks; they themselves are proud of doing everything custom, so I'd be willing to bet that beekeeping frames and big G's server racks are less than compatible.

keldor

Postby keldor » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:42 pm UTC

Silly Black Hat Guy. Honeycomb was Android 3.x. He's totally out of date.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
da Doctah wrote:Don't tell me. BHG was the guy who decided that CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs should all have the same physical dimensions.

What's wrong with that? This way my blu-ray player can play all the older formats and my DVD player could play CD's. It saves a bunch of room in my devices stack.

The don't need to have the same dimensions for that, they could be slightly larger with each new format.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:23 pm UTC

Anoria wrote:I will now be severely disappointed if the next post-civilization-collapse story I read doesn't involve a group of survivors keeping bees in an abandoned datacenter. (Is credit required for that sort of reference?)

Ideas can't be copyrighted, though their expression can be.

Credit can be given if appropriate, but it's up to the conscience of the author rather than being enforced by any legal consequences.

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:59 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:The don't need to have the same dimensions for that, they could be slightly larger with each new format.
That would mean (for example) that a CD player that wanted to be able to play mp3s that happened to be on a DVD-ROM would have to accommodate the new size too, even if it didn't play video. And also that existing standard-sized components could not be used for new devices, requiring new tooling. And devices that didn't have to play the formats, but just handle them, (shelving, for example) would not be compatible. We already have that to some extent with DVD cases, it's a minor PITA.

I see no advantage... at least not to the consumer.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:58 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:The don't need to have the same dimensions for that, they could be slightly larger with each new format.
That would mean (for example) that a CD player that wanted to be able to play mp3s that happened to be on a DVD-ROM would have to accommodate the new size too, even if it didn't play video. And also that existing standard-sized components could not be used for new devices, requiring new tooling. And devices that didn't have to play the formats, but just handle them, (shelving, for example) would not be compatible. We already have that to some extent with DVD cases, it's a minor PITA.

Jose

Greater storage capacity per disc?

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:15 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
ucim wrote:

Jose

Greater storage capacity per disc?

There's an order of magnitude of differerence between CD amd DVD storage capacity, and another order between DVD and Blu-ray. I don't think a small change in size would be very significant. If you want the disks larger, why not make all of them large instead of various sizes?

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:52 am UTC

Industry saves a lot of money by not maintaining the zillions of sales channels at all levels that multiple disc/drive sizes would require, from the guys manufacturing the plastic gears to the shelf space at Best Buy.

The "DVD/BluRay combo pack" exists because it's cheaper to give you a DVD for free when you buy a BluRay (or vice-versa), versus making two separate sets of packaging, and dealing with two SKUs throughout your distribution chain.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:10 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Greater storage capacity per disc?
That's an advantage of the format (DVD vs CD), not an advantage of making a DVD slightly bigger. And making it much bigger (a-la 12 inch videodisk) has many disadvantages.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:07 am UTC

ucim wrote:
That would mean (for example) that a CD player that wanted to be able to play mp3s that happened to be on a DVD-ROM would have to accommodate the new size too, even if it didn't play video.

While I agree with you that wouldn't work either way. The laser frequency is different and that means that the CD player can't read the disc at all.

Still, PinkShinyRose: what would have been the advantage of making the disks differently sized?

ucim wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:Greater storage capacity per disc?
That's an advantage of the format (DVD vs CD), not an advantage of making a DVD slightly bigger. And making it much bigger (a-la 12 inch videodisk) has many disadvantages.

Jose

It also has an advantage. If you hit a burglar over the head with a videodisk they stay down long enough for the cops to arrest him. DVD's are next to useless in this regard.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:29 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:If you hit a burglar over the head with a videodisk they stay down long enough for the cops to arrest him. DVD's are next to useless in this regard.

If it's a DVD of Kill Bill, you can frisbee it across the room so it slices the miscreant's head off. Tarantino had the edges specially sharpened for the purpose.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”