1439: "Rack Unit"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Neil_Boekend

Re: 1439: Rack Unit

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:41 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:If you hit a burglar over the head with a videodisk they stay down long enough for the cops to arrest him. DVD's are next to useless in this regard.

If it's a DVD of Kill Bill, you can frisbee it across the room so it slices the miscreant's head off. Tarantino had the edges specially sharpened for the purpose.

Then it will not be wise to fling it the way I always flung misburned disks: hold like this O> between thumb and index finger. Squeeze and see it fly quite stable and quite directional. The method of throwing a ninja star might be more appropriate.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:50 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
ucim wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:The don't need to have the same dimensions for that, they could be slightly larger with each new format.
That would mean (for example) that a CD player that wanted to be able to play mp3s that happened to be on a DVD-ROM would have to accommodate the new size too, even if it didn't play video.

While I agree with you that wouldn't work either way. The laser frequency is different and that means that the CD player can't read the disc at all.

Still, PinkShinyRose: what would have been the advantage of making the discs differently sized?

People would see the difference between the discs and complain less about their CD drive not working. And maybe not ruin their 25th gen disc with a CD laser.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:52 am UTC

That is a quite good reason.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

he/him/his

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:18 pm UTC

People are still using CDs/DVDs/BRs?

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:21 pm UTC

Klear wrote:People are still using CDs/DVDs/BRs?

My lawn. Begone therefrom forthwith!
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:52 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:While I agree with you that wouldn't work either way. The laser frequency is different and that means that the CD player can't read the disc at all.
Not an existing CD player, but a newfangled one that (also) has the new laser in it, but just doesn't decode video. Sort of like the way DVD-ROMs work. (Yeah, I know, some decode video too, but that's not the point.)

orthogon wrote:If it's a DVD of Kill Bill, you can frisbee it across the room so it slices the miscreant's head off. Tarantino had the edges specially sharpened for the purpose.
Ninja'd

PinkShinyRose wrote:And maybe not ruin their 25th gen disc with a CD laser.
CD lasers ruin DVDs? That's news to me.

And VHSs And cassettes. I will admit I haven't used an LP in a while though. These things have two big advantages over what is now popular:

1: Higher quality (CD vs mp3)

2: When I play it, nobody keeps track (CD vs cloud, book vs nook)

3: The store can't steal it back (I'm looking at you, Amazon)

Oh wait - that's three.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
And VHSs And cassettes. I will admit I haven't used an LP in a while though. These things have two big advantages over what is now popular:

1: Higher quality (CD vs mp3)

2: When I play it, nobody keeps track (CD vs cloud, book vs nook)

3: The store can't steal it back (I'm looking at you, Amazon)

Oh wait - that's three.

Jose

Hey, cassettes are awesome, but the disks? Really?

Besides, I was thinking more about data storage/transport.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:04 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:And maybe not ruin their 25th gen disc with a CD laser.
CD lasers ruin DVDs? That's news to me.

No, that's not what I meant, 25th gen referred to the 25th generation of popular optical discs (I guess we're at 3 now), they must run out of laser frequencies that are useful and at a sufficient distance from all previous ones at some point.

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:33 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:No, that's not what I meant, 25th gen referred to the 25th generation of popular optical discs (I guess we're at 3 now), they must run out of laser frequencies that are useful and at a sufficient distance from all previous ones at some point.
Nah, there's plenty of room in the x-ray region. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Heartfelt thanks from addams and from me - you really made a difference.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:41 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:No, that's not what I meant, 25th gen referred to the 25th generation of popular optical discs (I guess we're at 3 now), they must run out of laser frequencies that are useful and at a sufficient distance from all previous ones at some point.
Nah, there's plenty of room in the x-ray region. :)

Jose

But significantly harder to focus and detect once you get to the "pass through anything" range...

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:24 pm UTC

I vote for electron beams. Single electron width electron beams.

he/him/his

Garnasha

Postby Garnasha » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:25 am UTC

This. Software (and any other data, really) distribution is internet-based, personal storage and data transfer through a physical medium (say, handing someone a .ppt, or projector-aspect-ratio .pdf if you want to do things properly) are best accomplished with usb sticks. Of course, now we need to patch a bug in the specification to close the corresponding security hole...
Neil_Boekend wrote:I vote for electron beams. Single electron width electron beams.
I'm foggy on which is which... you want every computer fitted with a miniature SEM? That WOULD be awesome. Anyone got an ETA on the tech to do that?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:02 am UTC

Garnasha wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:I vote for electron beams. Single electron width electron beams.
I'm foggy on which is which... you want every computer fitted with a miniature SEM? That WOULD be awesome. Anyone got an ETA on the tech to do that?

thirty years

he/him/his

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:03 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Garnasha wrote:

thirty years

Thirty years! You'll be dead by then. Oh, wait, I forgot... :D
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

jpvlsmv

Postby jpvlsmv » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:07 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
da Doctah wrote:Don't tell me. BHG was the guy who decided that CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs should all have the same physical dimensions.

What's wrong with that? This way my blu-ray player can play all the older formats and my DVD player could play CD's. It saves a bunch of room in my devices stack.

The don't need to have the same dimensions for that, they could be slightly larger with each new format.

Or make them different shapes. Why do they all have to be round? I remember novelty writable CDs in various shapes.

Or even have the hub be a different characteristic shape -- CDs get a triangle hub hole, DVDs a square. Your basic combination CD/DVD player has a 12-pointed star spindle to handle either one. When you get a combination CD+DVD+GC+{DVD+R}+DVD-R+{DVD+RW}+DivX+HDDVD+PSP+BD+BD2K+BD4K, you've got a 16-dimensional manifold spindle that tries to invert your disk in seven as-yet-undiscovered dimensions (two of those dimensions are used to prevent piracy) when you load it.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:37 pm UTC

jpvlsmv wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:
da Doctah wrote:Don't tell me. BHG was the guy who decided that CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray discs should all have the same physical dimensions.

What's wrong with that? This way my blu-ray player can play all the older formats and my DVD player could play CD's. It saves a bunch of room in my devices stack.

The don't need to have the same dimensions for that, they could be slightly larger with each new format.

Or make them different shapes. Why do they all have to be round? I remember novelty writable CDs in various shapes.

Or even have the hub be a different characteristic shape -- CDs get a triangle hub hole, DVDs a square. Your basic combination CD/DVD player has a 12-pointed star spindle to handle either one. When you get a combination CD+DVD+GC+{DVD+R}+DVD-R+{DVD+RW}+DivX+HDDVD+PSP+BD+BD2K+BD4K, you've got a 16-dimensional manifold spindle that tries to invert your disk in seven as-yet-undiscovered dimensions (two of those dimensions are used to prevent piracy) when you load it.

I hate compact dimension DRM. :x

nerobro

Postby nerobro » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:17 pm UTC

There may not be rules against bees and dogs.... There are also no rules against riding bicycles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVdfYbi9Oww

Yes.. that's me.. in a data center.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:47 am UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:

Like a laserdisc?
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

WarnedOfStretchyDeath314

Postby WarnedOfStretchyDeath314 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:50 am UTC

madaco wrote:relevant homestuck quote:

"one of your BEEHOUSE MAINFRAMES. The silicomb was sliced clean through by your foolish maneuver. What were you thinking???

The workers pair up and dance angry messages to you in beenary code."

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003978

Headcanon Hatguy now wears 3D glasses every so often.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:27 am UTC

Story wrote:What I'm wondering is how he managed to get past security in the first place.

This is Black Hat Guy.
He has his ways.

Security?
He walks in with 10,000 bees.

Who the Hell walks in like they own the place, with 10,000 Bees?
Black Hat Guy and about 10 other Google employees.
Google has a reputation for indulging its little smarty pants.

Besides.
Google has Bees, in Real Life.

No one at Google would question such a thing until the Internet Tubes start getting clogged up.

Chris Dude70 wrote:Do you have any idea how hard it is to get honey out of the internet tubes?

No.
How hard is it to get honey out of the internet tubes?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:18 am UTC

CapCouillon wrote:Thanks for the heads up... Just added to my standard Disclaimer/TOS

Spoiler:
This product is meant for educational purposes only. Unedited and uncensored. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. Not for internal use. Not FCC Approved. At your own risk only. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Software is not returnable. Do not use in shower or while sleeping. Consult physician before taking in conjunction with other products. Due to the methods of production, each garment will be slightly different; this is meant to make each one individual. Store above 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Not a lifesaving device. Cape does not enable user to fly. Keep fingers and toes out from underneath. Contents are measured by weight, not volume. There is a danger of explosion and risk of personal injury if the battery is incorrectly replaced or mistreated; do not attempt to recharge the battery, disassemble it, immerse it in water, or dispose of it in fire. To reduce the risk of electrical shock, do not remove the third (ground) prong. Before beginning these procedures, ensure that you are discharged of static electricity. Allow components to cool before touching. Installing incorrectly may cause damage. Do not force. To protect against data loss, create a backup disk before proceeding. May cause drowsiness. May prevent sleep. Use as a handle at your own risk. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. We have attempted to preserve the sound of the original recording; however, the Compact Disc can reveal limitations of the source tape due to its high resolution. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem to be right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Not edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Unauthorized reproduction is prohibited. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to insure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flame. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Not tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs, or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Bee-keeping in server racks prohibited. Batteries not included.

Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper assembly, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized usage, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, raptor attacks, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.).

Other restrictions may apply.

Hope this avoids the dreaded zero day exploit...

Nice. But you left out the old classic: "Do not fold, spindle or mutilate".

Neil_Boekend wrote:Then it will not be wise to fling it the way I always flung misburned disks: hold like this O> between thumb and index finger. Squeeze and see it fly quite stable and quite directional. The method of throwing a ninja star might be more appropriate.

Hey, you don't need to use the clumsy phrase "ninja star" here. I'm sure most xkcdians are familiar with the word "shuriken". :)

This thread reminded me of this old Stack Exchange blogpost, about the naming of the ServerFault site. Some people wanted to call it Rack Overflow...

Myself

Re: 1439: "Rack Unit"

Postby Myself » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:08 pm UTC

The vertical unit of rack spacing, 1 3/4 inches, happens to already have a name, too: It's an archaic Russian unit called the "vershok", I believe the plural is "vershki".

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:35 am UTC

PM 2Ring wrote:
Neil_Boekend wrote:Then it will not be wise to fling it the way I always flung misburned disks: hold like this O> between thumb and index finger. Squeeze and see it fly quite stable and quite directional. The method of throwing a ninja star might be more appropriate.
Hey, you don't need to use the clumsy phrase "ninja star" here. I'm sure most xkcdians are familiar with the word "shuriken". :)]

Sadly that doesn't mean the word is readily available to my damaged mind.

he/him/his

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:29 am UTC

ucim wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:Greater storage capacity per disc?
That's an advantage of the format (DVD vs CD), not an advantage of making a DVD slightly bigger. And making it much bigger (a-la 12 inch videodisk) has many disadvantages.

Jose

The people who refused to adopt Laserdisc because they considered 12-inch discs to be too big were WIMPS. Wimps, I say! Same with the people who insisted on single-platter hard drives, forever dooming us to whatever the read/write speed of a 7200 RPM drive is when we could have been getting four times that much for far less than the ungodly prices of SSDs.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”