1448: "Question"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

niky

Re: 1448: "Question"

Postby niky » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:47 am UTC

candybrie4zo wrote:
niky wrote:
orthogon wrote:Wait, Asimov wrote Sci-fi, too?

(My parents had a copy of Lecherous Limerics, which I read thoroughly at a tender age. When I picked up the book again, many years later, they seemed rather objectionable: crude, misogynistic and thoroughly unreconstructed).

He also wrote mysteries. Basically, I, Robot was a series of crime mysteries set in a future with... robots. I'd imagined them turning it into a CSI-style movie with mind-bending feats of detective work... but... alas... they turned it into a commercial for sneakers and Audis that just happened to feature the main character of the book in the supporting cast.

You're mixing up stories. I, Robot was a series of short stories demonstrating some interesting effects of the Three Laws. Caves of Steel and it's sequels were the ones with the crime mysteries.

Not specifically crime mysteries... but mysteries (well, except the one with the robot going in circles... as they already knew what the problem was... they just had to figure out how to solve it!) that Calvin has to solve using the Laws of Robotics. Puzzlers, if you will.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:16 pm UTC

niky wrote:
candybrie4zo wrote:
niky wrote:
orthogon wrote:Wait, Asimov wrote Sci-fi, too?

(My parents had a copy of Lecherous Limerics, which I read thoroughly at a tender age. When I picked up the book again, many years later, they seemed rather objectionable: crude, misogynistic and thoroughly unreconstructed).

He also wrote mysteries. Basically, I, Robot was a series of crime mysteries set in a future with... robots. I'd imagined them turning it into a CSI-style movie with mind-bending feats of detective work... but... alas... they turned it into a commercial for sneakers and Audis that just happened to feature the main character of the book in the supporting cast.

You're mixing up stories. I, Robot was a series of short stories demonstrating some interesting effects of the Three Laws. Caves of Steel and it's sequels were the ones with the crime mysteries.

Not specifically crime mysteries... but mysteries (well, except the one with the robot going in circles... as they already knew what the problem was... they just had to figure out how to solve it!) that Calvin has to solve using the Laws of Robotics. Puzzlers, if you will.

Actually, a lot of the puzzles (including Runaround in particular) were Donovan and Powell rather than Calvin

colonel_hack

Postby colonel_hack » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:46 pm UTC

mikrit wrote:I really disliked seeing Dr. Susan Calvin as a young, pretty little minor character. All right, she was young and in love in Liar!, but after that unfortunate incident, I have imagined her as a middle-aged librarian type, with a piercing stare that says: "I am ten times smarter than you could ever hope to be". Supporting character? Bah!

Surely she would look like this, http://www.ozdw.com/couch/sketches/granny3.jpg , but perhaps twenty years younger.

Like this?
https://www.cs.uoregon.edu/groups/wics/img/gracehopper.jpg
http://www.agnesscott.edu/lriddle/women/hooper.jpg

addams

Postby addams » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:23 pm UTC

As human beings, our stories are important to us.
No group of humans have ever existed, that I know of, without stories.

Our stories tell us where we came from, where we are going and who we are.
Today, in the US and in other nations, people are making conscience choices in telling our stories to us.

Our stories have become dark and frightening.
Many a bright and beautiful person has noticed.

A few are attempting to Do something about it.
Here is a link that identifies one of them.
http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment/09 ... k-big.html
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

ThisUsernameIsTaken

Postby ThisUsernameIsTaken » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:58 pm UTC

'I like you,' he declared to the void, 'but I don't LIKE like you.'

Some time ago I figured there had to be a name for this sort of thing, and it turns out I was right. Not only does it exist but it's fun to say. The spam filter won't let me link to the Wikipedia article but you can pretty easily Google "contrastive focus reduplication"

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”