1454: "Done"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

teelo

1454: "Done"

Postby teelo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:10 am UTC

Alt-text: I'm sorry, but the author of this Facebook comment clearly believes you were.

I don't understand... was she making the video, or is that unrelated?
Last edited by teelo on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Envelope Generator

Re: 1453: "Done"

Postby Envelope Generator » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:29 am UTC

It's unrelated.

The joke here is that ephemeral nonsense is being portrayed as the real substance of the internet and any frizzy-haired people who try to be meaningful about things are just not getting it. Or, well, that's not quite what the joke is but I suck at explaining.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

jano

Postby jano » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:37 am UTC

Should be 1454, not 1453
Spoiler:

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:01 am UTC

"Don't worry about it: you have as much chance of making an online connection as your laptop does."

Eutychus

Re: 1454: "Done"

Postby Eutychus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:17 am UTC

This is where I notice the age gap between me and Randall.

It also reminds me of the looks of bemusement I get when I try to explain to my kids - whose criteria for any accommodation is that it must have good enough broadband for a Skype video connection to leave on permanently for contact with their s.o. living elsewhere - that we used to have these things called letters and the postal service.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:27 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:This is where I notice the age gap between me and Randall.

It also reminds me of the looks of bemusement I get when I try to explain to my kids - whose criteria for any accommodation is that it must have good enough broadband for a Skype video connection to leave on permanently for contact with their s.o. living elsewhere - that we used to have these things called letters and the postal service.

Saw a comic recently that made its rounds on facebook, something about 25 years ago stacks of letters and "Oh me yarm an email!", and now hundreds of emails and "Oh me yarm a letter!!".

Rossegacebes

Postby Rossegacebes » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:49 am UTC

Who's Randall's friend Emily? (Just under the logo) How can/has she been helped?

DR6

Postby DR6 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:52 am UTC

Faith in humanity: lost.

eidako

Postby eidako » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:01 am UTC

herp a derp a derp derp derp herp adee derp derp ha derp
Last edited by eidako on Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Plutarch

Postby Plutarch » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:19 am UTC

The internet shutting down would be doing the wavy-haired woman a huge favour. If she's been saving her money to fly someone over, and support them, she's being taken for a fool. It would inevitably end in disaster.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:36 am UTC

Not necessarily.

Although, to be honest, if you're going to be that committed in a relationship but haven't managed to tack down a physical address or at least a phone number of this significant other, then you're doing it wrong.

RowanE

Postby RowanE » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:12 am UTC

eidako wrote:
Eutychus wrote:This is where I notice the age gap between me and Randall.

Generalization there. I'm a year older than Munroe but recognize the insanity of Internet relationships — any online exchange between people is going to be carefully structured to show off their best sides. A successful relationship is dependent on the acceptance of flaws, not communicated through this medium. No matter how the interests of two people overlap, there's no way of knowing that they are truly compatible on a personal level until they're standing in the same physical space, recognizing that their partner is an imperfect human being with annoying quirks and deficiencies.

I just wish I could have made my teenage sister and her boyfriend understand that. He was planning on making life-altering decisions, crossing the country to attend an unnotable local university, to pursue a relationship with her. He flew over at his expense to briefly visit, they spent a day together, then had an ugly breakup shortly after. I can only hope they learned from it.

I don't think Eutychus was at all saying internet relationships are crazy? He's talking about how letters used to be a thing but these kids don't think that's good enough, which if it implies anything about the relationships facilitated through those media is probably strongly positive on them by being nostalgic about times when relationships through old-fashioned letter-writing, which in terms of the problems you describe are like ten times crazier, were a thing.

LoopyChew

Postby LoopyChew » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:20 am UTC

It's probably a good thing. The curly-haired user was just writing to a Nigerian scam anyway.

Jaruzel

Postby Jaruzel » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:30 am UTC

I met my S.O. online. That was 16 years ago. We're still happily together, and have gone through the usual ups and downs a relationship has, along with the trials and tribulations of raising a child together. So not all online relationships are doomed to fail. I totally echo the strips sentiments, if you *think* you've found the 'one', then move heaven and earth to make it happen. Even if it doesn't work out in the end, at least you TRIED.

The Internet was supposed to herald in a new era of enlightenment, of global unity, and aid in humanities advancement. I know this because I was there at the beginning, hooked into the UKs version of Arpanet, playing with Gopher and FTP and Usenet (I still do the last two actually). What we've ended up with 25 years later is an endless torrent of meaningless drivel and pointless imagery, the most awful of which is inexplicitly repeated and reposted ad nauseum.

Sometimes something deep and informative catches my eye, and I post an opinion about it on a social media site by way of saying to my friends, 'hey let's talk about this important topic!'. It will get ignored, with barely a like or a comment. However, if the next day I post a copy of a a popular meme, or video of a kitten, I can expect a river of comments, re-shares, and likes. I know it's not my choice of friends - face to face we regularly engage in conversations on how to fix the world, it's just that the Internet makes you Dumb.

-Jar

NotAllThere

Postby NotAllThere » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:34 am UTC

Jaruzel wrote:I met my S.O. online. That was 16 years ago. We're still happily together, and have gone through the usual ups and downs a relationship has, along with the trials and tribulations of raising a child together. So not all online relationships are doomed to fail. I totally echo the strips sentiments, if you *think* you've found the 'one', then move heaven and earth to make it happen. Even if it doesn't work out in the end, at least you TRIED.

The Internet was supposed to herald in a new era of enlightenment, of global unity, and aid in humanities advancement. I know this because I was there at the beginning, hooked into the UKs version of Arpanet, playing with Gopher and FTP and Usenet (I still do the last two actually). What we've ended up with 25 years later is an endless torrent of meaningless drivel and pointless imagery, the most awful of which is inexplicitly repeated and reposted ad nauseum.

Sometimes something deep and informative catches my eye, and I post an opinion about it on a social media site by way of saying to my friends, 'hey let's talk about this important topic!'. It will get ignored, with barely a like or a comment. However, if the next day I post a copy of a a popular meme, or video of a kitten, I can expect a river of comments, re-shares, and likes. I know it's not my choice of friends - face to face we regularly engage in conversations on how to fix the world, it's just that the Internet makes you Dumb.

-Jar

Hey- a Purple Unicorn!
yangosplat wrote:So many amazing quotes, so little room in 300 characters!

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:50 am UTC

eidako wrote:I'm a year older than Munroe but recognize the insanity of Internet relationships [...]
Huh. I at first interpreted "I found you half a world away" to mean "I found that you were half a world away" (as opposed to "I found you (and you were half a world away)"), implying that the "you" is a person she already knew but has recently moved. It seems ambiguous which it actually means On reread, my interpretation doesn't make as much sense with the second panel.

(Also, there are flaws visible through the internet... with the bad reputation of e.g. YouTube comments and the fact that the words "troll" and "flaming" primarily describe internet interactions, I don't see how "any online exchange between people is going to be carefully structured to show off their best sides"... maybe some are, but it seems that could be the case offline as well...)

Jaruzel wrote:Sometimes something deep and informative catches my eye, and I post an opinion about it on a social media site by way of saying to my friends, 'hey let's talk about this important topic!'. It will get ignored, with barely a like or a comment. However, if the next day I post a copy of a a popular meme, or video of a kitten, I can expect a river of comments, re-shares, and likes. I know it's not my choice of friends - face to face we regularly engage in conversations on how to fix the world, it's just that the Internet makes you Dumb.
Perhaps they just use the internet (or social media) when they to relax or de-stress or whatever and not when they feel like talking about important topics? Or they don't like talking about important things (semi-)publicly? (...just guesses... alternatives to the internet making people dumb)
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:57 am UTC

RowanE wrote:
eidako wrote:I don't think Eutychus was at all saying internet relationships are crazy?
indeed, that wasn't what was in my mind (although I'm amazed at the number of different takes on this comic in the first few posts above).

I was just thinking how the girl seemed to be utterly ignorant of older means of communication. I don't think any of us have really grasped all the implications of a generation raised on electronic communication yet.

Jaruzel, I think what you're saying is that the signal/noise ratio of the internet is far worse than other media. But if you poke around you can still find some good places for stimulating debate.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:20 am UTC

teelo wrote:
Alt-text: I'm sorry, but the author of this Facebook comment clearly believes you were.

I don't understand... was she making the video, or is that unrelated?

I think it's highlighting the ludicrous comments that people make on youtube videos.

It seems the purpose of the internet is to find a suitably silly video (such as a cat dressed as a shark on a Roomba chasing a baby duck). When this has been accomplished, the internet can be shut down and we can all go outside and climb trees.

Or down to the beach and prod jellyfish with driftwood.

Or lay in the garden and be accosted by random neighbourhood cats.

*edited to remove the strip so the comment is less massive.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

Morgan Wick

Postby Morgan Wick » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:22 am UTC

Jaruzel wrote:The Internet was supposed to herald in a new era of enlightenment, of global unity, and aid in humanities advancement. I know this because I was there at the beginning, hooked into the UKs version of Arpanet, playing with Gopher and FTP and Usenet (I still do the last two actually). What we've ended up with 25 years later is an endless torrent of meaningless drivel and pointless imagery, the most awful of which is inexplicitly repeated and reposted ad nauseum.

That's because the high-falutin' ideals of the Internet has run head-on into what human nature actually is.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:32 am UTC

The Moomin wrote:It seems the purpose of the internet is to find a suitably silly video (such as a cat dressed as a shark on a Roomba chasing a baby duck). When this has been accomplished, the internet can be shut down and we can all go outside and climb trees.
You mean like YouTube's April Fools joke?
Also, I interpreted it as the person shutting down the internet thinking it's gotten too ridiculous.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores

Eternal Density

If there's someone out there who's right for me, I'm so sorr

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:40 am UTC

This makes me feel kinda sad and lonely.

*writes a bunch of personal stuff and deletes it*
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

curiouspillow

Postby curiouspillow » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:03 am UTC

I read this one as a comment on people who discount the Internet, phones, technology, etc. as silly, useless distractions, when there's so many meaningful connections (romantic or otherwise) going on underneath the sea of memes. It seems to be fashionable these days to tell "millennials" to go read a book or play outside or write a letter. People are missing the value of the Internet in favor of using the shallow parts of it as ammunition against "those lazy kids."

Some online relationships may be disasters, yes, but I don't think that's what Randall's getting at here.

balthasar_s

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:44 am UTC

That was just one internet. Wait for the next one.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:57 pm UTC

Rossegacebes wrote:Who's Randall's friend Emily? (Just under the logo) How can/has she been helped?

I was also unsure, and didn't see any replies here, so I checked the News and Articles subforum and found this post from November 26th:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=110509

ConMan wrote:if you go to xkcd.com then in the header spot where Randall has recently been plugging his book it instead says:

"Hey all. My friend Emily—the economist who helped me with my money chart—has been fighting cancer. She's having a rough time and could use some help. Thank you."

Rossegacebes

Postby Rossegacebes » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:15 pm UTC

Dave wrote:
Rossegacebes wrote:Who's Randall's friend Emily? (Just under the logo) How can/has she been helped?

I was also unsure, and didn't see any replies here, so I checked the News and Articles subforum and found this post from November 26th:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=110509

ConMan wrote:if you go to xkcd.com then in the header spot where Randall has recently been plugging his book it instead says:

"Hey all. My friend Emily—the economist who helped me with my money chart—has been fighting cancer. She's having a rough time and could use some help. Thank you."

Thanks!

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:18 pm UTC

eidako wrote:I'm a year older than Munroe but recognize the insanity of Internet relationships — any online exchange between people is going to be carefully structured to show off their best sides.

You can do this in real life too.

Acting and pretending are the basis for human social interaction for a large amount of people.

Besides, quirks do not stop existing just because you are using the medium of text, there are just different ones.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:08 pm UTC

Invertin wrote:
eidako wrote:I'm a year older than Munroe but recognize the insanity of Internet relationships — any online exchange between people is going to be carefully structured to show off their best sides.

You can do this in real life too.

Acting and pretending are the basis for human social interaction for a large amount of people.

Besides, quirks do not stop existing just because you are using the medium of text, there are just different ones.

Yeah, one of the things that the semi-anonymity of the internet (and other electronic communication) can lead to is people being more naked (literally in the case of sexting) than they would be in a face-to-face interaction. The teenagers who, a generation ago, would have poured their hearts into their diaries and kept them hidden away now have a WordPress blog with maybe a dozen regular visitors from all sorts of places.

Also, while exchanging emails every couple of days allows you to reflect on what you want to say and how best to express it, if you're texting or using instant messengers to hold a conversation in near real time, you're lucky if the person at the other end edits their thoughts enough to remove the worst of the typos. When you move up to something like Skype that turns your computer into a video-phone, you're looking at the next thing to actually being there in person...

And, considering some of the things out there online, if everyone were only presenting their best side, that would say something horrifying about humanity...

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:28 pm UTC

NotAllThere wrote:
Jaruzel wrote:I met my S.O. online. That was 16 years ago. We're still happily together, and have gone through the usual ups and downs a relationship has, along with the trials and tribulations of raising a child together.

-Jar

Hey- a Purple Unicorn!

They're not as rare as you might think. I left a perfectly well-paying job in London to be with an American I met through a pen pal website in the late '90s. We married in 2001.

Here are the two of us in Letchworth, Herts. in 2012 (in the Gardener's Arms pub, which was used as The World's End in the film of the same name). We're on the right of the picture.

This is us in Washington, DC a few years back.

ShadeTail

Postby ShadeTail » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:31 pm UTC

It seems to me, the real joke here is the inanity of a large portion of comments on sites like Facebook and YouTube, and that taking them literally in this manner shows how utterly ridiculous and stupid they are.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:35 pm UTC

Plutarch wrote:The internet shutting down would be doing the wavy-haired woman a huge favour. If she's been saving her money to fly someone over, and support them, she's being taken for a fool. It would inevitably end in disaster.

Not necessarily -- she might have been talking to the sweetest, cutest puppy ever, which was about to be shipped to her. But then, dogs are way better friends for you than people ever can hope to be.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:37 pm UTC

eidako wrote:[

I just wish I could have made my teenage sister and her boyfriend understand that. He was planning on making life-altering decisions, crossing the country to attend an unnotable local university, to pursue a relationship with her. He flew over at his expense to briefly visit, they spent a day together, then had an ugly breakup shortly after. I can only hope they learned from it.

This has nothing to do with the internet, though. Same thing happened with more than one couple I knew back in my (pre-Internet, pre-desktop computer) college days.
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:02 pm UTC

So I come here to correct some of the horrendous misunderstandings of how the internet works, and it turns out chridd has read my mind and posted everything I wanted to say, for me.

Marry me? (Assuming you are of the fairer sex, of course).
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:07 pm UTC

I often wonder how people used to cope, waiting days or weeks for a reply to their messages of love. Or maybe it was better. I could go through a complete cycle of hope, disappointment, denial, heartbreak, anger, resignation and back to hope again within the first five minutes after sending a text message. And yet somehow my great grandmother waited patiently for decade while my great grandfather was in Canada. My mum doesn't think he even bothered to write.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:12 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:
NotAllThere wrote:
Jaruzel wrote:I met my S.O. online. That was 16 years ago. We're still happily together, and have gone through the usual ups and downs a relationship has, along with the trials and tribulations of raising a child together.

-Jar

Hey- a Purple Unicorn!

They're not as rare as you might think. I left a perfectly well-paying job in London to be with an American I met through a pen pal website in the late '90s. We married in 2001.

I think you misunderstand: NotAllThere's comment wasn't about rarity. Jaruzel's avatar is literally a purple unicorn.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:Here are the two of us in Letchworth, Herts. in 2012 (in the Gardener's Arms pub, which was used as The World's End in the film of the same name). We're on the right of the picture.

Aww. Also, I missed the last part of your post ("We're on the right") and thought you were a gay couple. After I saw the 2nd pic I went into wtf mode and had to re-read.

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:05 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:Marry me? (Assuming you are of the fairer sex, of course).
No. (No).

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:07 pm UTC

chridd wrote:
No. (No).

Well, that's one more (potential) online relationship down the drain then.
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:33 pm UTC

ThemePark wrote:
chridd wrote:
No. (No).

Well, that's one more (potential) online relationship down the drain then.

At least you didn't book a flight yet, right?

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:48 pm UTC

eidako wrote:Generalization there. I'm a year older than Munroe but recognize the insanity of Internet relationships — any online exchange between people is going to be carefully structured to show off their best sides. A successful relationship is dependent on the acceptance of flaws, not communicated through this medium. No matter how the interests of two people overlap, there's no way of knowing that they are truly compatible on a personal level until they're standing in the same physical space, recognizing that their partner is an imperfect human being with annoying quirks and deficiencies.

I completely agree that a successful relationship depends upon acceptance of flaws, and that a relationship begun and maintained over a distance tends to play up the good side, but what you can learn about a person this way is still significant enough to use as a foundation.

I met a girl while playing World of Warcraft, and we talked a lot in game at first. Then we talked a lot out of game, and eventually we started doing silly things like watching movies together on Netflix with Ventrillo. After almost two years, I decided I cared enough that I wanted to meet her. I bought a plane ticket from Alaska to Tennessee and booked two aft balcony cabins on a 7-day Caribbean cruise (her best friend an another friend went, too) for our first date. It went extremely well, and we moved her to Alaska about a year later. A year after that, we were married, and she's pregnant now.

So while you should never let yourself get too involved sight-unseen, so to speak, starting and maintaining a relationship at a distance can definitely work out.

Also, regarding the comic specifically, the way I read it, the girl was becoming romantically attached to someone, and they regularly use the internet to keep in touch. Then some idiot somewhere makes a comment about how the internet is finished and should be shut off. To carry the situation to absurdity, the internet really is shut off because the idiot decided it had no more to offer, but there was obviously at least one couple who felt otherwise.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Klear

Postby Klear » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:56 pm UTC

balthasar_s wrote:That was just one internet. Wait for the next one.

Internet 3.0 is going to be sweet!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”