1454: "Done"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

teelo

Re: 1454: "Done"

Postby teelo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:32 am UTC

Tempted to edit my first post to a giant 404 image of "The internets have already been won. Go outside or something."

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:33 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:I just wish I could have made my teenage sister and her boyfriend understand that. He was planning on making life-altering decisions, crossing the country to attend an unnotable local university, to pursue a relationship with her. He flew over at his expense to briefly visit, they spent a day together, then had an ugly breakup shortly after. I can only hope they learned from it.

Sounds like meatspace was the problem then. Should have stayed online.

keithl

Postby keithl » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:14 am UTC

One can read this as the futility of most internet relationships. Which is just like the futility of most relationships of any kind. Wavy hair may be disappointed, or learn that (her?) netpal will be a wonderful life partner. Neither is a loss, since we learn from mistakes, and we learn nothing if we don't try.

A relative was shielded by her strict parents, no dating until she finished college. Two husbands and three kids later, she is a divorced mom with a demanding job and no time for dating. She would have been better off with innocent dating, foolish experiments, contraception, and the wisdom that comes from minor heartbreak. Her kids lack a father at home because their grandparents thought dogma more important than human connection.

She will find Mr. (or Ms.) Right after many Mr. Wrongs. Without that experimentation, she won't know the range of personalities and what is realistic to expect, and she would probably choose the wrong partner. If she is lucky and chooses the right one, she might not completely understand her good fortune.

BTW, before the internet, some of my friends met over UUCP, or BBS, and one couple met over ham radio. Good partners can be found anywhere. I'm glad that more people are connecting over larger distances. I get to meet and befriend exotic people from all over!

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:00 am UTC

eidako wrote:I just wish I could have made my teenage sister and her boyfriend understand that. He was planning on making life-altering decisions, crossing the country to attend an unnotable local university, to pursue a relationship with her. He flew over at his expense to briefly visit, they spent a day together, then had an ugly breakup shortly after. I can only hope they learned from it.

Indeed - though I'm not really seeing a fail here. Sounds like, by accident perhaps, they did exactly the right thing. The round trip flight would have been an expensive way to figure out that the Internet is no substitute for face-to-face, but insofar as that's really true, it was necessary. And the expense probably did help to drive home the lesson that there may in fact have been ways to figure these things out sooner.

Puppyclaws

Postby Puppyclaws » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:15 am UTC

Ugh... yeah because that is totally what people mean when they say it...

man, where is Sir Mustapha when you need him?

StClair

Postby StClair » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:21 am UTC

Puppyclaws wrote:Ugh... yeah because that is totally what people mean when they say it...

man, where is Sir Mustapha when you need him?

They shut his internet down, of course.

eidako

Postby eidako » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:46 am UTC

Oops, looks like I incorrectly inferred Eutychus's meaning through my own take of the comic and went off on a tangent. As the ancient Internet adage goes, "Disregard that, I suck co...ca cola."

Inune

Postby Inune » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:19 pm UTC

curiouspillow wrote:I read this one as a comment on people who discount the Internet, phones, technology, etc. as silly, useless distractions, when there's so many meaningful connections (romantic or otherwise) going on underneath the sea of memes. It seems to be fashionable these days to tell "millennials" to go read a book or play outside or write a letter. People are missing the value of the Internet in favor of using the shallow parts of it as ammunition against "those lazy kids."

Some online relationships may be disasters, yes, but I don't think that's what Randall's getting at here.

This is the exact way I understood the comic, too. Making fun of the general hyperbole used when dealing with all the shallow parts of the internet and ignoring all the amazing ways it can and does bring people together.

I'm not entirely sure why so many people seemed to have gone immediately down the quality-of-internet-relationships rabbit hole.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:29 pm UTC

Inune wrote:I'm not entirely sure why so many people seemed to have gone immediately down the quality-of-internet-relationships rabbit hole.

Well, at least it's something that's actually related to the comic...
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”