1469: "UV"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

azule
Saved

Re: 1469: "UV"

Postby azule » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:51 pm UTC

I don't understand why clean white shirts also glow under UV. Maybe because white contains all the colors, including ultraviolet.

If you read this sig, post about one arbitrary thing you did today.

I celebrate up to six arbitrary things before breakfast.
Time does drag on and on and contain spoilers. Be aware of memes.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:56 pm UTC

azule wrote:I don't understand why clean white shirts also glow under UV. Maybe because white contains all the colors, including ultraviolet.

Because the washing powder contains brightening agents to make the clothes look whiter. Originally I was thinking that bathroom cleaning products might contain these too, which might mean that Cuegan had it the wrong way round and the glowing parts were the bits they had cleaned.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:36 pm UTC

Heimhenge wrote:I thought that was a dumb question too (I live in AZ).
I have difficulty with this notion of living in a home where the threat of encroachment by large venomous arachnids is such a constant as to require hunting. :shock:

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:54 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Heimhenge wrote:I thought that was a dumb question too (I live in AZ).
I have difficulty with this notion of living in a home where the threat of encroachment by large venomous arachnids is such a constant as to require hunting. :shock:

Name any place where you don't have some type of pest to deal with. Some sting, some bite, some suck your blood, some eat your food, some chew your electrical wiring, some just leave their waste lying around, some make annoying noises ... I could go on but I'll spare you. You're welcome. 6.627 million people (and that's just AZ) apparently think the benefits outweigh the risk.

Seriously, Jorpho, sure it creeps me out when a fluorescent green arachnid lights up during an evening UV sweep of my house, but we only see them during the summer ... maybe April-October. And even in a bad year, like after a particularly wet winter, I only need to evict maybe one every two weeks. It's all about good weather-stripping on the doors, which has the additional benefit of saving energy.

I think about these trade-offs when I'm on my deck in January with 70 degree temps, enjoying a fine cigar and single malt scotch, and watching an amazing Arizona sunset.

But not much.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:46 pm UTC

Also, scorpions aren't an issue everywhere in AZ. They're much less common in the northern part of the state and the more developed parts of the Phoenix metro area don't really have them. They seem to be mostly in new construction zones and places near open desert areas. I get them (maybe only 6-12 or so a year) because I live near one of the mountain preserves, but that's a trade I'm very willing to make since I have direct access to several mountains with over 50 miles of hiking and biking trails.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:53 am UTC

slinches wrote:I live near one of the mountain preserves, but that's a trade I'm very willing to make since I have direct access to several mountains with over 50 miles of hiking and biking trails.

Hiking and biking trails that are covered with scorpions!

(The mosquito may be the state bird, here, but at least the annual round of 20-below weather tends to do in the deadlier forms of vermin.)

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:25 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:Hiking and biking trails that are covered with scorpions!

Yeah, it's a lot like that scene in Temple of Doom. I should get a UV headlight, then I could do night rides by the glow of fluorescing scorpions! Oh, and the trails would be easy to follow since they'd be marked by the dark outlines of the rattlesnakes lining either side.

jsharpminor

Postby jsharpminor » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:34 pm UTC

slinches wrote:Yeah, it's a lot like that scene in Temple of Doom. I should get a UV headlight, then I could do night rides by the glow of fluorescing scorpions! Oh, and the trails would be easy to follow since they'd be marked by the dark outlines of the rattlesnakes lining either side.

That's it. The first colony ship going to Mars or anyplace that DOESN'T HAVE SCORPIONS and mosquitoes and rats ... *seriously squicks himself out* ... I'm on board.

And one of the rules of this colony is that introducing such things into the colony is an automatic death penalty.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:11 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:
slinches wrote:I live near one of the mountain preserves, but that's a trade I'm very willing to make since I have direct access to several mountains with over 50 miles of hiking and biking trails.

(The mosquito may be the state bird, here, but at least the annual round of 20-below weather tends to do in the deadlier forms of vermin.)

I guess it still sounds safer than anywhere in Australia (excluding the Antarctic claim), people do move to Australia. As for the vermin free areas: probably most of Antarctica, the higher latitudes of the Arctic and high altitudes on mountains.

EDIT:missed a closing bracket
Last edited by PinkShinyRose on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:20 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

kelly_holden

Postby kelly_holden » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:30 am UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:
Mikeski wrote:

I guess it still sounds safer than anywhere in Australia (excluding the Antarctic claim, people do move to Australia. As for the vermin free areas: probably most of Antarctica, the higher latitudes of the Arctic and high altitudes on mountains.

"safer than Australia"? I don't need to do regular sweeps of my house for things that might kill me. The arachnids I'm most likely to find inside are the huntsman and house spider, neither of which is likely to bite and is only painful if it does.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:15 pm UTC

kelly_holden wrote:"safer than Australia"? I don't need to do regular sweeps of my house for things that might kill me. The arachnids I'm most likely to find inside are the huntsman and house spider, neither of which is likely to bite and is only painful if it does.

And what if a drop-bear is waiting for you outside?

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

Must kill all spiders. Wait, UV and spiders are related?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:37 am UTC

azule wrote:Must kill all spiders. Wait, UV and spiders are related?
Apparently the ability of bark scorpions to fluoresce under UV is particularly unique to bark scorpions.

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:16 pm UTC

jsharpminor wrote:
slinches wrote:Yeah, it's a lot like that scene in Temple of Doom. I should get a UV headlight, then I could do night rides by the glow of fluorescing scorpions! Oh, and the trails would be easy to follow since they'd be marked by the dark outlines of the rattlesnakes lining either side.

That's it. The first colony ship going to Mars or anyplace that DOESN'T HAVE SCORPIONS and mosquitoes and rats ... *seriously squicks himself out* ... I'm on board.

And one of the rules of this colony is that introducing such things into the colony is an automatic death penalty.

They're going to get into the ship anyway. Nice warm colony ship, sitting on a launch pad in the cold rain... You're going to get a lot more colony species than just humans. And then there are the pests people will bring in unknowingly in their luggage. Once you get underway, you'll think the captain's name is Noah.

NiteClerk

Postby NiteClerk » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:07 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:....I guess their intelligence evaporated along with their morality, given that they've forgotten that you need to buy insurance *before* your house is destroyed :P

I've lived in the rural country in the U.S. A lot of rural communities have volunteer fire departments. Every year you have to buy a fire tag (pay the fire dept) in order for the volunteers to provide coverage to your house. Where I lived the tags expired around June, no matter what month you purchased them. So around June there were big signs at the major county road intersections, the local stores and the local newspapers that it is time to renew your fire tags. Every few years in the U.S. it gets reported that someones house catches fire and the volunteer fire dept refused to attempt to put out the fire. They might respond to the site in order to make sure the fire does not spread to a neighbors house that is covered. But they make no attempt to save yours. At this point the homeowner who has the house fire wants to buy insurance on the spot. This is like getting in a car wreck, then calling insurance companies for retroactive coverage.

tl/dr Buy insurance before you need it or you're screwed.

HES

Postby HES » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:01 pm UTC

I presume, or at least hope, that they would intervene if there were somebody trapped. Then let the house burn down.
He/Him/His Image

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:01 am UTC

yeah, I sure hope that pointing and laughing isn't in the nature of the average firefighter.
Although, there is an argument to be made that most firefighters are probably pyromaniacs.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

azule
Saved

Postby azule » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:39 am UTC

Can you fight fires with UV rays? I've heard crazier things.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:42 am UTC

Well, sufficient UV rays can start fires and fires can be used to stop other fires (controlled burning down a path in a forest to prevent a large forest fire to spread) so in theory UV could be used to fight fires.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

chenille

Postby chenille » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:36 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Apparently the ability of bark scorpions to fluoresce under UV is particularly unique to bark scorpions.

All scorpions are fluorescent. It also occurs among certain spiders, centipedes, millipedes, insects, and so on, but in those groups it's the exception rather than the rule and doesn't necessarily involve the whole body.

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:24 am UTC

Heimhenge wrote:
slinches wrote:And in response to your question about what I do with scorpions I find, I kill them. Although, I wouldn't hunt them at all if they would stay out of my house and weren't the most venomous species in North America.

I thought that was a dumb question too (I live in AZ). My UV LED flashlight makes those bark scorpions light up from across a room. Only I don't "kill" them, I use a 12-inch forceps to pick them up and remove them to the outside, where I toss them over the edge of my deck. I learned early on that stomping on them leaves a gooey mess on the floor. And they do manage to get inside, even with good weather stripping around the doors. During the summer months, I make a point of "sweeping" the house with UV before I come to bed. Lived in the desert for close to 15 years and have so far avoided any stings. Know several people who have been stung ... nasty experience. Won't kill a healthy adult, but burns like hell for days.

Another cool thing I discovered accidentally: The UV light makes my glow-in-the-dark Moon globe light up something fierce.

How handy.
What a wonderful thing to know.

Is it common knowledge for the average person in your area?
Does that work to make the Big Black Scorpions glow, too?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”