1474: "Screws"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ysth

Re: 1474: "Screws"

Postby ysth » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:52 am UTC

That is not a Phillip's head, it's a traditional Winterfair gift.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

addams

Postby addams » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:32 am UTC

orthogon wrote:Even with this knowledge of punctuation, it's not totally clear. I had to go to explainxckd to find out that the picture was supposed to be a bag (containing a head). When I read the caption I was expecting to see a straightforward severed head, and then thought maybe I'd misunderstood the joke when I actually saw what looked like a turnip. And even the explainxkcd guys are a bit bemused.

eeewww.
It's a head?

That's hysterical.
This one keeps getting better and better.

How does he know it's Philip's Head?
Where did that Uranium Screw link go?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

S'toon

Postby S'toon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:02 am UTC

I signed up to mention Robertson screws, but I see my fellow Canadians are already there.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:31 pm UTC

Those of you complaining that he didn't include the Robertson head ... clearly he wasn't trying to be comprehensive or even accurate. (E.g., the Phillips head needs a slight bevel on its inside corners. Perhaps his only real experience with screw heads is small electronics, where the small size of the screw obscures this detail.) While the comic looks a little like his infographic-with-a-few-jokes comics, it's not - really just jokes in the format of a fake infographic.

I don't know how prevalent the Robertson head is in Canada, but perhaps no more prevalent than Torx, aka star drive, in the US. If Randall had meant to be comprehensive, even with a cultural imperialist attitude, he surely would have included that one. I'm not sure quite when everyone in the construction industry noticed how much better it is than Phillips, but today Torx seems to dominate at least construction screws. I'm guessing it happened alongside the advent in recent years of the impact driver, with its torque limiting. Those two things have taken all the pain and stripping out of building decks and stuff.

danix

Postby danix » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:57 pm UTC

Ah, the Allen Key. Fond memories of my Meccano set. :lol:

wolf99

Postby wolf99 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

the fact that star head != Torx, and that the smallest standard star is slightly larger than the torx used on a car radio that has two CDs jammed in it recently caused me several hours of sore-fingered frustration. :evil: :roll:

BTW, this thread is the first time I've ever heard of Robertson heads :lol:

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:44 pm UTC

From our friends at Los Alamos, here's a nice drawing of the Godiva assembly and her uranium screws.
The full description can be found in LA-1614, written in 1953. http://library.lanl.gov/cgi-bin/getfile?00318386.pdf

There are other devices that contain uranium screws, but I'm not aware of any detailed drawings of them in the unclassified public literature. "Oralloy", the Oak Ridge alloy, is one of those deliberately vague Manhattan Project era codenames - it's highly enriched weapons-grade 235U metal.
Attachments
godiva.png
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

CBusAlex

Postby CBusAlex » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:00 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:(ObJokeYouCanTellAtTheOfficeMonday: What do you call vodka, orange juice, and milk of magnesia?
Spoiler:
A Phillips screwdriver.
)

I call vodka and orange soda an allen key, because it's like a screwdriver, only a little bit worse.

danix

Postby danix » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:41 pm UTC

One of my major gripes on Phillips screws is precisely how easy it is to "cam out" (I didn't know there was an official term to that) or how easily it turns into the pic's "Phillips -1 cursed" head. Now I find out that this was made so by design? Ow, I'm using Torx screws from now on!

addams

Postby addams » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:20 pm UTC

Minerva wrote:From our friends at Los Alamos, here's a nice drawing of the Godiva assembly and her uranium screws.
The full description can be found in LA-1614, written in 1953. http://library.lanl.gov/cgi-bin/getfile?00318386.pdf

There are other devices that contain uranium screws, but I'm not aware of any detailed drawings of them in the unclassified public literature. "Oralloy", the Oak Ridge alloy, is one of those deliberately vague Manhattan Project era codenamed - it's highly enriched weapons-grade 235U metal.

1951?
There she is, Lady Godiva.

I'm still not sure What she is.
The first BackYard Fision Plant?

I can see as much in common with the Wright Brother's machine and a Delta Jet as I can with Lady Godiva and a BackYard Fision Plant.

I'm too lazy to read that paper seriously.
Statements like the following, cross my eyes.
This precaution, however, was overbalanced by a mass tabulation error in multiplication experiments, and after an initial un- successful attempt to bring the assembly up to critical, it was found necessary to add a second, 741 gm, 0.1 inch high cylindrical disc to the upper sphere section.

That's funny stuff.
Spoiler:
No! I can't do The Math.

They were off by How Much?
741 gms. A sliver 8 inches by .1 inch.

People that do math are better at it, today.
Are nuclear scientists not better, today?

They Must be.
They don't have to count their fingers and their toes to get eleven.
They don't have to use an abacus. They have computers.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:44 am UTC

Godiva is a critical assembly, basically two hemispheres of HEU that can be moved together to reach criticality, for measurements of critical mass, neutron multiplication and things like that. A rather crude, and naked, nuclear reactor.

It's basically the same sort of experiment that Harry Daghlian and Louis Slotin did with fissile bomb cores, but it was decided after they both died that hands-on experiments would be forbidden, and the Godiva device was set up as a remotely-manipulated machine with the human operators well away from it.
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:19 am UTC

Minerva wrote:Godiva is a critical assembly, basically two hemispheres of HEU that can be moved together to reach criticality, for measurements of critical mass, neutron multiplication and things like that. A rather crude, and naked, nuclear reactor.

It's basically the same sort of experiment that Harry Daghlian and Louis Slotin did with fissile bomb cores, but it was decided after they both died that hands-on experiments would be forbidden, and the Godiva device was set up as a remotely-manipulated machine with the human operators well away from it.

oh.
Two more corpse on the Battlefield of Science.
Brave or Stupid?

We know they were not stupid.
Brave? or, Clumsy? Clumsy.

Following the common wisdom, 'They died in 1950 so that we can have back yard fission plants in 2050.'

Let's hope there is a Heaven for Scientists.
A place where they can hold The Inner Workings of the Universe in their hands, to no ill effect.

It's enough to drive a person to Philosophy.
Everyone dies. Both Hero and Coward.

Remember the Scientist that died after missing the Pitch Drop?
Professor John Mainstone died on 23 August 2013, aged 78, following a stroke.

If Harry Daghlian and Louis Slotin had lived through fusion they would have been done in by something else by now.
I have heard people say of the deaths of scientists, "He who Lives by the Sword, Dies by the Sword."

And He who watches pitch gets good at waiting.
Even for death.

Oh, Dear; This is a Comic.
Quick! Someone!
Lighten the Mood!

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:54 pm UTC

addams

Postby addams » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:36 pm UTC

I think that is so funny.
"Necessity is the Mother of Invention."

US American HomeLand Security provided the necessary environment pressure.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

underwatercolor

Postby underwatercolor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:02 pm UTC

+1 on Robertson/square screws being awesome and worthy of inclusion. The magic of these is perhaps best evidenced by being able to easily unscrew exterior Robertson screws that have weathered for years. Neat stuff. :)

Nearly every innovation in Philips and similar screwing for decades has been trying to reduce/solve/defeat the original cam-out design feature. :(

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:16 am UTC

Sometimes, all I want is a few nails.
But; No. I have loads of screws.

Yes.
Even squire drive with the special little driver included.

I also have a Hammer.
I want a Nail!

In twelve hours the hardware stores will open.
One of my favorite kind of stores.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Shalom

Postby Shalom » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:32 am UTC

Regarding Robertson screws in the USA: Most apartment house intercom panels use these, at least in Manhattan.

Also, I forgot who said it, but
with a Dremel tool and a cut-off wheel, any screw takes a flat head screwdriver.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”