1480: "Super Bowl"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dr What

1480: "Super Bowl"

Postby Dr What » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:39 am UTC

title="My hobby: Pretending to miss the sarcasm when people show off their lack of interest in football by talking about 'sportsball' and acting excited to find someone else who's interested, then acting confused when they try to clarify."

Envelope Generator

Re: 1480: "Super Bowl"

Postby Envelope Generator » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:49 am UTC

Reading the alt text makes my brain clog up with parse warnings.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am UTC

"I'm really, really interested that YOU'RE really, really interested. Does that count?"

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:41 am UTC

To me that approach sounds quite like he want's to play a martyr and then take it as a license bore people with his stuff. You should be able to tell if people don't care about the things you talk about and change the topic.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:49 am UTC

Much like the meme of putting on sunglasses while making bad puns, should Cueball have put on a black hat for his second statement in the first panel?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:02 am UTC

What's sportsball?
Spoiler:
Is it like sportball?

Spoiler:
Thanks Randall, now I feel like a terrible person.
Well except I'm rarely around people who care about sports and I don't intentionally seek them out to be annoying, so I guess I'm not so bad.

Hey I just realised that annoying/mocking people for liking sports is basically the same thing as annoying/mocking people for liking certain TV shows.
So this is highly relevant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU2aqt_BUV0
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:04 am UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:Reading the alt text makes my brain clog up with parse warnings.

Same here. The phrases are all over the place and there are approximately a bajillion verbs.

title text wrote:My hobby: Pretending to miss the sarcasm when people show off their lack of interest in football by talking about 'sportsball' and acting excited to find someone else who's interested, then acting confused when they try to clarify.

My hobby: When people show off their lack of interest in football by talking about 'sportsball', I pretend to miss the sarcasm and act excited to find someone else who's interested in sportsball. Then I act confused when they try to clarify.

edit because I duplicated a word. oops.
Last edited by BlitzGirl on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:33 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:My hobby: When people show show off their lack of interest in football by talking about 'sportsball', I pretend to miss the sarcasm and act excited to find someone else who's interested in sportsball. Then I act confused when they try to clarify.

Reminds me of Up-goer 5:

Thing I do for fun: When people show off that they have no interest in a game with two teams and one ball by talking about 'game-like thing with ball', I pretend to miss them not really saying truth in an obvious way and act excited to find someone else who's interested in game-like thing with ball. Then I act confused when they try to make me understand.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:11 am UTC

I blame BHG for DeflateGate.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:02 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
Envelope Generator wrote:Reading the alt text makes my brain clog up with parse warnings.

Same here. The phrases are all over the place and there are approximately a bajillion verbs.

title text wrote:My hobby: Pretending to miss the sarcasm when people show off their lack of interest in football by talking about 'sportsball' and acting excited to find someone else who's interested, then acting confused when they try to clarify.

My hobby: When people show show off their lack of interest in football by talking about 'sportsball', I pretend to miss the sarcasm and act excited to find someone else who's interested in sportsball. Then I act confused when they try to clarify.

I agree, it tripped me up too. But he was constrained by the long established "My Hobby:" format, in which the phrase following the colon has to be a gerund (or a gerund-phrase, if that's a thing).
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:07 am UTC

Yeah, well, my hobby is not bothering to bore people who pretend to listen to what I like for the sole reason of getting their turn to tell me all about stuff I don't care one damn bit about. If you can't find anyone with matching interests around, you're, well, boned. Welcome to the club, life is great, etc, etc...
EDIT: Oh, and if you're still unduly chipper, rest assured that if you do find someone else with matching interests, they'll only pretend to listen to you for the sole reason of getting their turn to tell you all about what they like about things you share interest in...

chridd
Has a vermicelli title

Postby chridd » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:23 am UTC

orthogon wrote:I agree, it tripped me up too. But he was constrained by the long established "My Hobby:" format, in which the phrase following the colon has to be a gerund (or a gerund-phrase, if that's a thing).
Comic #37 doesn't use that format, though.
Or 53 or (relevant) 60. And possibly some others.
~ chri d. d. /tʃɹɪ.di.di/ (Phonotactics, schmphonotactics) · she · Forum game scores
mittfh wrote:I wish this post was very quotable...

BlitzGirl
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:32 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:

My hobby: When people show show off their lack of interest in football by talking about 'sportsball', I pretend to miss the sarcasm and act excited to find someone else who's interested in sportsball. Then I act confused when they try to clarify.

I agree, it tripped me up too. But he was constrained by the long established "My Hobby:" format, in which the phrase following the colon has to be a gerund (or a gerund-phrase, if that's a thing).

But the "My Hobby" strips didn't always start with a gerund. In fact, the earliest ones start with adverb clauses just like the alternative phrasing. Besides the adverb clauses there are also a few with only a subject, like "Footnote Labyrinths". I can see why he might feel bound by tradition, but there's obviously precedent for a different phrasing, and it's used as late as #1004.

37 Hyphen - My hobby: whenever anyone calls something an [adjective]-ass [noun], I mentally move the hyphen one word to the right.
53 Hobby - My hobby: When the police bust drug hideouts, I sneak in and hide. Then I jump out and startle them into shooting me so they lose points.
60 Super Bowl - My hobby: While everyone is watching the Super Bowl, feeling smugly superior because they're "Only watching for the ads," I steal cars.
1004 Batman - Whenever anyone says "Batman," I mentally replace it with "a man dressed like a bat."

In looking this up I realized that this is the second comic named "Super Bowl", and both of them make use of the "my hobby" gag.

ETA: Damn, I'm ninja'd. Image
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:18 am UTC

Taking other people talking about things that don't interest you as an excuse to do the same to them isn't a recepie for good friendships.

By the time they're adults most geeks have got the message that most people aren't interested in their fringe hobbies. But you know the funny thing, social ineptitude isn't unique to geeks and football fans who also happen to be socially inept often don't ever learn that they're being a bore because they're more likely to have a slightly larger fraction of people around them who happen to be into the same hobbies.

Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:39 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:In looking this up I realized that this is the second comic named "Super Bowl"

Making this the second time that Randall has wantonly disregarded the well-publicized rules about using the phrase S**** B*** without first obtaining official licensing permission.

You gotta call it "The Big Game", dude, or they'll descend on you like a ton of brick-shaped attorneys.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:42 am UTC

I have a really super bowl in my kitchen. Just sayin'.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:50 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:In looking this up I realized that this is the second comic named "Super Bowl"

Making this the second time that Randall has wantonly disregarded the well-publicized rules about using the phrase S**** B*** without first obtaining official licensing permission.

You gotta call it "The Big Game", dude, or they'll descend on you like a ton of brick-shaped attorneys.

The late, lamented Steven Colbert referred to an upcoming event as the Superb Owl. Gosh I miss that show.

BTW, one nice thing about watching football (aka handegg etc etc) even if you don't care about the sport or the teams is that so little actually happens that there's plenty of time for unrelated conversation between everyone present. (And if you don't think almost nothing happens, google for one of those folks who put a stopwatch to the amount of time in an alleged hour of game time that the ball was in motion. Or watch 5 mins of ads after a score, followed by a kickoff into the endzone for a touchback, followed by 5 more mins of ads prior to the next snap. )
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:55 pm UTC

chridd wrote:
orthogon wrote:I agree, it tripped me up too. But he was constrained by the long established "My Hobby:" format, in which the phrase following the colon has to be a gerund (or a gerund-phrase, if that's a thing).
Comic #37 doesn't use that format, though.
Or 53 or (relevant) 60. And possibly some others.

BlitzGirl wrote:But the "My Hobby" strips didn't always start with a gerund. In fact, the earliest ones start with adverb clauses just like the alternative phrasing. Besides the adverb clauses there are also a few with only a subject, like "Footnote Labyrinths". I can see why he might feel bound by tradition, but there's obviously precedent for a different phrasing, and it's used as late as #1004.

37 Hyphen - My hobby: whenever anyone calls something an [adjective]-ass [noun], I mentally move the hyphen one word to the right.
53 Hobby - My hobby: When the police bust drug hideouts, I sneak in and hide. Then I jump out and startle them into shooting me so they lose points.
60 Super Bowl - My hobby: While everyone is watching the Super Bowl, feeling smugly superior because they're "Only watching for the ads," I steal cars.
1004 Batman - Whenever anyone says "Batman," I mentally replace it with "a man dressed like a bat."

Man , I so Did Not Do The Research (WARNING: TVTROPES). I consider myself thoroughly pwned.

And Man

Postby And Man » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:12 pm UTC

Some of these responses... Just wow. Talk about missing the point.

Telling friends about something they're not interested in isn't some huge social crime that only terrible people do. Sometimes people get really passionate about their interests, and most people like to share their passions with the people they care about. And listening to a friend talk about something you're not interested in isn't "playing a martyr" or "using it as an excuse to do the same to them", it's being a good friend. It shows that, even if you don't particularly care about the topic at hand, you still care about the person telling you about it. God forbid any of these people get married; if they don't find a husband or wife that shares every single interest as them and isn't interested in anything else, then they're gonna have one hell of a rough marriage.

Granted, someone that constantly tells their friends about something they're not interested in is being a crappy friend, but that's not what we're talking about; the comic is about the Super Bowl, which is a once-a-year event.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:17 pm UTC

I feel it's not as much "pretending to be interested" as it is "allowing them to have their fun", as in talking about something they love.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:55 pm UTC

Politely listening to something you're not interested in is one thing, if you can accept that it's a matter of taste: it is a legitimate thing to be interested in, which just doesn't happen to float your particular boat: I like jazz, you like first-person shooters. If the topic really means so much to the person, perhaps I can become a better person by listening and finding out more about it. Quite another thing is when you are interested in the subject but wholeheartedly disagree with your interlocutor; and a third is when you don't accept that the field of endeavour is legitimate. So when a good friend of mine starts talking about his 9/11 conspiracy theories (case 2), or going on about the spirit realm (case 3), I find it difficult to know how to respond. Just listening politely could be construed as agreement, but I might not have the energy or the cool-headedness to debate it properly; a third option like "I disagree with you but don't want to go into it here" is difficult to carry off. I think going on about this kind of thing, in a social context, without some clear feedback from the listener that they either partially agree with you or are up for a debate is reprehensible.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:55 pm UTC

HungryHobo wrote:Taking other people talking about things that don't interest you as an excuse to do the same to them isn't a recepie for good friendships.

By the time they're adults most geeks have got the message that most people aren't interested in their fringe hobbies. But you know the funny thing, social ineptitude isn't unique to geeks and football fans who also happen to be socially inept often don't ever learn that they're being a bore because they're more likely to have a slightly larger fraction of people around them who happen to be into the same hobbies.

This is so stupid. Of course you go to Dragonblight. Even if you've gotten to 73 already you still have to do Wrathgate again because it never gets boring.
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

pixeldigger

Postby pixeldigger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:09 pm UTC

If you go to a Super Bowl party, you should probably expect people to be talking about . . .well , , , the Super Bowl. Now If we were at Comicon and some guy wants to talk sports, thats a different matter.
I , however, am an educated man, and can talk math, physics, chemistry, football, tennis, basketball all day. I don't get rude until pop music and reality TV come up.
(I'm holding back my "But it is the HISTORY channel, not the I hunt crabs and pawnshops channel" rant for my friends with similar interests.) edit CLOSE the PARENTHESES

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:12 pm UTC

To be fair, History just had an excellent mini-series called "Sons of Liberty" which was definitely approximately historical.

Also Vikings.

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:23 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:To be fair, History just had an excellent mini-series called "Sons of Liberty" which was definitely approximately historical.

Also Vikings.

And "Vikings" brings us back around to the Super Bowl.
Four times.
Unfortunately.
:evil:

But I get the feeling that I shouldn't go on and on and on and on...about it.
Last edited by Keyman on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

drazen

Postby drazen » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:28 pm UTC

BTW, one nice thing about watching football (aka handegg etc etc) even if you don't care about the sport or the teams is that so little actually happens that there's plenty of time for unrelated conversation between everyone present. (And if you don't think almost nothing happens, google for one of those folks who put a stopwatch to the amount of time in an alleged hour of game time that the ball was in motion. Or watch 5 mins of ads after a score, followed by a kickoff into the endzone for a touchback, followed by 5 more mins of ads prior to the next snap. )

Bingo. The game isn't really the thing -- heck, the NFL's grand championship game is usually a lopsided blowout anyway (although the past five times the New England Patriots/Flying Elvii participated, the game was very tense and came down to a difference of a mere field goal). The game's just an excuse to hang out with friends and have a good time.

Plus Randall can do ideal gas law calculations to demonstrate to everyone exactly how much the Patriots' footballs really could have deflated on their own when inflated to 12.5 (relative... 27.2 absolute) psi in a 75F (24C) room and then moved to a 45F (7C) field. And whether or not the employee who took the balls into the bathroom for 90 seconds could have deflated them on his own, or whether he could have taken a whiz and properly washed his hands in that time. He could even bust out Strat-O-Matic Football to predict the outcome.

This game has it ALL for Randall!

As for me, I vaguely follow sports and attend a couple sporting events a year, probably know more than I actually will ever need to about the rules and individual players, but just enjoy having something to cheer for. In the grand scheme of things, I don't actually care that much, but it's still fun to celebrate your local team's victory with your friends (and assorted strangers). The sport is really kind of secondary and the individual player/game details are just something people reminisce about. Humans are social (even hermits like me) - so Randall has the right general idea here. Also, he's made me a little hungry. :)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:50 pm UTC

I enjoy watching sports a lot more than I used to: particularly rugby union and even association football. But my biggest problem is that I find identifying the players much harder than most people appear to. Without the commentary I'd have no idea who'd had a good game, who I'd substitute if I were the manager, which players work well together, and so on; I seem to miss out on a whole level of the experience. Everybody else seems to be able to do this without trying. It feels like the kind of cognitive/perceptual impairment that you'd expect of a geeky type like me: does anyone else suffer from this?

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:22 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I enjoy watching sports a lot more than I used to: particularly rugby union and even association football. But my biggest problem is that I find identifying the players much harder than most people appear to. Without the commentary I'd have no idea who'd had a good game, who I'd substitute if I were the manager, which players work well together, and so on; I seem to miss out on a whole level of the experience. Everybody else seems to be able to do this without trying. It feels like the kind of cognitive/perceptual impairment that you'd expect of a geeky type like me: does anyone else suffer from this?

I think it's just experience. I was this was for a long time with actors, but after watching enough different movies and shows, I got better at recognizing people. Same thing here.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

tiorbinist

Postby tiorbinist » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:36 pm UTC

Don't miss the commercials, too. Friends, food, and some really silly commercials!
But yes, mostly food. 8^)

EugeneStyles

Postby EugeneStyles » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:46 pm UTC

The only people more annoying than those who must loudly and repeatedly insist that they don't understand or care about the Super Bowl, are people who won't shut up about this "World Cup" thing, whatever that is - not that I care.

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:00 pm UTC

I talk about programming often to my wife, and I know she has no interest.
She talks to me about artwork and horses, and I don't understand a quarter of what she's talking about.

And it's worked well after all of these dec... err.. years. Yes, just years.

Anyway, I'm with Randal on this one. A lot of times in a conversation, you getting something out of the conversation isn't the sole point of you being there. Letting the other people vent, rant, nerdgasm (that applies to sports stuff too), etc allows them to either enjoy something or get it off of their chest. You're serving a function for them. It's what friends do. And often the enjoyment can be catching, even if you don't enjoy the subject matter of the enjoyment.

Now, if that other person shuts you down whenever you bring up something they don't like; then, by all means, do the same in return. However if the two or more of you really are friends, then enjoy the fact that your friend is enjoying something. Otherwise you're only in your "friendship" for what you can get out of it, and you're not really that other person's friend.

squall_line

Postby squall_line » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:10 pm UTC

And Man wrote:Some of these responses... Just wow. Talk about missing the point.

Telling friends about something they're not interested in isn't some huge social crime that only terrible people do. Sometimes people get really passionate about their interests, and most people like to share their passions with the people they care about. And listening to a friend talk about something you're not interested in isn't "playing a martyr" or "using it as an excuse to do the same to them", it's being a good friend. It shows that, even if you don't particularly care about the topic at hand, you still care about the person telling you about it. God forbid any of these people get married; if they don't find a husband or wife that shares every single interest as them and isn't interested in anything else, then they're gonna have one hell of a rough marriage.

Granted, someone that constantly tells their friends about something they're not interested in is being a crappy friend, but that's not what we're talking about; the comic is about the Super Bowl, which is a once-a-year event.

This, so many times over.

Sometimes a person just needs someone to listen to them, an ear to bend, or an outlet to vent their frustration. Sometimes a person just needs to talk about something out loud to help them process it and make a rational decision.

See also: being able to listen to a spouse/partner/friend talk about their day at work. It may not be a topic that the listener understands, and it may not be presented in a way that's meant to educate, but listening to someone tell you about their day/tell you about work/tell you about their hobby is a way to connect with that person, no ulterior motive required. I didn't listen to my girlfriend tell me about her day just so that we could move on to bed, or to have a tit-for-tat excuse to whine about my day, I listened to her because I cared about her mental and emotiona health and wanted her to know that I cared about her. When interactions turn into an extended tit-for-tat, that is a recipe for a very unhealthy relationship between two people.

D'oh! Ninja'd by Carteeg. I'm still posting anyway, because I believe in it that much.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:40 pm UTC

squall_line wrote:See also: being able to listen to a spouse/partner/friend talk about their day at work. It may not be a topic that the listener understands, [...]

I had the opposite of this: I found out recently that my wife was upset that I didn't talk about my day at work. She'd say "how was your day?" and I'd just say "Yeah, ok thanks". I didn't bother trying to explain that my client code was generating spurious empty HTTP PUT requests because DIGEST authentication was enabled and that this was filling up the disc partition on the server with massive log files. Not just because it would be hard to explain in a way that she could understand, not being an IT person; but also because these types of problems are what I spend my time solving, they're challenges that I enjoy, and they don't stress me out, at least not once I've left the office. If I were dealing with intractable human problems all day, I'm sure I'd be in more need of unburdening when I got home.

Heimhenge

Postby Heimhenge » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:55 pm UTC

da Doctah wrote:

And you gotta call this one Super Bowl XLIX (watching now for a descending brick-shaped attorney). But to do exactly what Randall is ranting about ... here's a (probably) little-known sports trivia item: The NFL has already decided the next one will be branded Super Bowl 50 and not Super Bowl L. I haven't read about their reasoning. Probably decided a single "L" wasn't splashy enough for their semicentennial anniversary.

After that, they'll go back to Roman numerals until Super Bowl C.

Wondering how many people can actually read Roman numerals these days. Do they even teach that in school anymore?

pixeldigger

Postby pixeldigger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:05 pm UTC

Carteeg_Struve wrote:...
She talks to me about artwork and horses, and I don't understand a quarter of what she's talking about.

So she was talking about Quarter Horses????

bpd

Postby bpd » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:52 pm UTC

Really, really appreciate the comments already made by And Man, squall_line, and Carteeg_Struve. Just want to dive in with my own story/rant/lecture:

My fiancee has a PhD in mathematics, and she does some really extraordinary research. I did my undergrad in math(s), but that's not really enough for me to do more than nod my head and say, "I think I understand...?" a lot. But it's still incredibly rewarding when she shares that part of her life with me. The great thing about having friends and partners is that you get to share in one another's emotional highs and lows. I don't understand the specifics of her research, but I get excited when she gets excited because that's what you do when you care about someone.

If you're shutting your friends out of your interests because you don't think they'll be interested, or if you're shutting yourself out of some of your friends' passions because you think what they like is dumb... you're missing out. Do what you want, live your life the way you want to, but I think you're missing out.

It can be isolating to be a non-sports fan in a culture that bombards you with expectations of caring. But it can be rewarding to see your friends happy and share in that happiness. Smart, caring people find a way to simultaneously not care but still bond with the people they love.

On football in particular: I had the opportunity to get to know a handful of Big Ten football players. (For non-sports fans or non-Americans: they played for one of the 14 teams in the increasingly-misnamed "Big Ten" conference of American university athletic programs. It's one of the five or so top-tier leagues for pseudo-amateur athletics and is effectively one of the feeder leagues for professional NFL-level football.)

The guys I knew... were huge nerds. They weren't necessarily science/sci-fi/xkcd-type nerds (one of them did finish a mechanical engineering degree along the way), but they were definitely nerds. They watched football and obsessed over technique and statistics. They knew the history of the sport inside and out. Sometimes I felt left out, and I definitely wasn't as into football as they were. But I liked that they got excited, and I enjoyed the excitement of watching them win because I knew how much they loved the game.

There are a lot of assumptions built into the "I'm not into sports, so I'll deliberately misunderstand and mock people who like sports" thing, and one of the assumptions I sense sometimes is that the athletes are just dumb, overpaid jocks. In my experience, that's incredibly unfair. There's a lot that's wrong with professional American football, but remember that most of the athletes who play it are people who got an opportunity to turn a hobby into a passion and then into a career. If only we were all so lucky.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:15 pm UTC

As an Australian I don't have to worry about any talk about the Super Bowl.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:49 pm UTC

drazen wrote:

Bingo. The game isn't really the thing -- heck, the NFL's grand championship game is usually a lopsided blowout anyway (although the past five times the New England Patriots/Flying Elvii participated, the game was very tense and came down to a difference of a mere field goal). The game's just an excuse to hang out with friends and have a good time.

*pedantic note* Not really, last year was the first blowout in about a decade. It used to be a lot more common in the late 80s/early 90s (well, a lot more common when Denver and Buffalo were in the Super Bowl anyway). But I agree that the social factor is part of what makes it what it is.

Anyway, I really liked this strip.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:53 pm UTC

EugeneStyles wrote:The only people more annoying than those who must loudly and repeatedly insist that they don't understand or care about the Super Bowl, are people who won't shut up about this "World Cup" thing, whatever that is - not that I care.

Yeah, 'cause after all we know the only cup that really matters at all is Lord Stanley's.
FWIW, if you don't know, it's the only trophy of which there is exactly one, and you have to give it back next year (assuming no back-to-back championships).
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:54 pm UTC

I enjoyed this one. It was like the perfect combination of 1332 & an inverted 1053.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”