1480: "Super Bowl"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cellocgw

Re: 1480: "Super Bowl"

Postby cellocgw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:55 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:As an Australian I don't have to worry about any talk about the Super Bowl.

Plus nobody else in the world can even begin to understand your local brand of football :mrgreen:
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:10 pm UTC

Hey I like eating snacks and drinking beer and playing Dominion when some other people arts Sportlanding Sportsball in the next room, and popping my head back in for the commercials as much as the next guy.

Envelope Generator wrote:Reading the alt text makes my brain clog up with parse warnings.
Nothing proves you need to be the most smug guy in the room than someone who needs to out-smug the smug. My friends are all nerds, even the ones who like sports. Some of us talk about Sports ball, and some of us Talk about sports ball.

HungryHobo wrote:Taking other people talking about things that don't interest you as an excuse to do the same to them isn't a recepie for good friendships.

By the time they're adults most geeks have got the message that most people aren't interested in their fringe hobbies. But you know the funny thing, social ineptitude isn't unique to geeks and football fans who also happen to be socially inept often don't ever learn that they're being a bore because they're more likely to have a slightly larger fraction of people around them who happen to be into the same hobbies.

Spoiler:
for space

I love this bit, but I swear I saw a guy do it live, except it was about Magic Cards instead of Table Top RPG.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:51 pm UTC

I like the alt-text for this one:

"My hobby: Being a smug, holier-than-thou contrarian douche."

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:17 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:BTW, one nice thing about watching football (aka handegg etc etc) even if you don't care about the sport or the teams is that so little actually happens that there's plenty of time for unrelated conversation between everyone present. (And if you don't think almost nothing happens, google for one of those folks who put a stopwatch to the amount of time in an alleged hour of game time that the ball was in motion. Or watch 5 mins of ads after a score, followed by a kickoff into the endzone for a touchback, followed by 5 more mins of ads prior to the next snap. )

Everyone knows you watch test cricket for the commentary, not for the action - if you only care about the action, you wait for the half-hour highlights show...

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:06 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
cellocgw wrote:BTW, one nice thing about watching football (aka handegg etc etc) even if you don't care about the sport or the teams is that so little actually happens that there's plenty of time for unrelated conversation between everyone present. (And if you don't think almost nothing happens, google for one of those folks who put a stopwatch to the amount of time in an alleged hour of game time that the ball was in motion. Or watch 5 mins of ads after a score, followed by a kickoff into the endzone for a touchback, followed by 5 more mins of ads prior to the next snap. )

Everyone knows you watch listen to test cricket for the commentary, not for the action - if you only care about the action, you wait for the half-hour highlights show...

...TMS is so much better than the TV commentary :D

Mokele

Postby Mokele » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:09 pm UTC

I'm particularly sympathetic to "listen to your friends' interests", in part because my own interests can impose a substantial burden on my friends, since many people are genuinely terrified of my primary interest: snakes. Add in that many of my snakes aren't exactly small, and a fair few friends have actually been afraid to set foot in my apartment. So given that they make the effort to overcome that, to the point where a former ophiophobe was eventually comfortable handling a 9 foot boa constrictor, I think listening to sports (or other things I don't care about) is the least I can do.
"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw" - J. Burns, Biograffiti

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:41 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
title text wrote:My hobby: Pretending to miss the sarcasm when people show off their lack of interest in football by talking about 'sportsball' and acting excited to find someone else who's interested, then acting confused when they try to clarify.

My hobby: When people show show off their lack of interest in football by talking about 'sportsball', I pretend to miss the sarcasm and act excited to find someone else who's interested in sportsball. Then I act confused when they try to clarify.

Good one!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:12 pm UTC

Sprocket wrote:I saw a guy do it live, except it was about Magic Cards instead of Table Top RPG.

Signs you may be the oldest person in the room: you hear "Magic Cards" and this is what you picture.

16characters

Postby 16characters » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:18 am UTC

Thank you, BlitzGirl!! I was confused about the alt-text until I saw your post.

See you at the sportsball court!

dan_dassow

Postby dan_dassow » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:02 am UTC

Heimhenge wrote:
da Doctah wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:And you gotta call this one Super Bowl XLIX (watching now for a descending brick-shaped attorney). But to do exactly what Randall is ranting about ... here's a (probably) little-known sports trivia item: The NFL has already decided the next one will be branded Super Bowl 50 and not Super Bowl L. I haven't read about their reasoning. Probably decided a single "L" wasn't splashy enough for their semicentennial anniversary.

After that, they'll go back to Roman numerals until Super Bowl C.

Wondering how many people can actually read Roman numerals these days. Do they even teach that in school anymore?

If I recall correctly, the NFL decided that L did not have the gravitas and pretentiousness normally associated with Roman Numerals.

I would have preferred that the NFL stayed with L, since we can cannot say phrases like: "What's the L is wrong with the Super Bowl" or "I prefer to celebrate Noel than watch L" or "Like war, the Super Bowl is L".

By the way, I like the ploy of mentioning that football is much like chess and then transitioning to a play-by-play description of famous chess matches.

Klear

Postby Klear » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:12 am UTC

I really don't get the reactions. I like talking with my friends, not talking at my friends (and vice versa). When somebody is absolutely not interested in a subject and you know it, talk about something else. Don't tell me you don't have multiple interests and multiple friends.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:17 am UTC

pixeldigger wrote:
Carteeg_Struve wrote:...
She talks to me about artwork and horses, and I don't understand a quarter of what she's talking about.

So she was talking about Quarter Horses????

Gee. I hope so.
Quarter Horses are nice.

Will there be snacks?
Snacks and a horse in Isle 5.

Snacks and Super Bowl adverts.
Snacks. The man wants snacks.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

zukenft

Postby zukenft » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:30 am UTC

It's the finals alright, but the rest of the world are talking about south korea and australia instead of whatever teams are playing in the super bowl.

Klear

Postby Klear » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:33 am UTC

Superbowl is a typo of salad, right?

Edit: *type*

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:32 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:
Plasma Mongoose wrote:As an Australian I don't have to worry about any talk about the Super Bowl.

Plus nobody else in the world can even begin to understand your local brand of football :mrgreen:

Aerial Ping-Pong(Aussie Rules Football) is a strange game indeed.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

ilduri

Postby ilduri » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:09 am UTC

My roommates have decided we're having a bunch of people over to watch the game. I honestly don't even know which teams are playing, but I love people and snacks and beer, so I'm really looking forward to it. :)
"Butterflies and zebras and moonbeams and fairytales"
she/her

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:07 am UTC

I don't know what you all are doing on Super Bowl Sunday. But, as for me, I am getting a game of Calvinball together.

Calvinball.png
Calvinball.png (20.86 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
Last edited by San Fran Sam on Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

addams

Postby addams » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:31 am UTC

San Fran Sam wrote:I don't know what you all are doing on Super Bowl Sunday. But, as for me, I am getting a game of Calvinball together.

http://calvinball.wikidot.com/

Will there be snacks?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:36 am UTC

addams wrote:
San Fran Sam wrote:I don't know what you all are doing on Super Bowl Sunday. But, as for me, I am getting a game of Calvinball together.

http://calvinball.wikidot.com/

Will there be snacks?

I heard there was cake.

iu6MTM6S98.jpg
iu6MTM6S98.jpg (82.49 KiB) Viewed 4016 times

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:26 pm UTC

HungryHobo wrote:Taking other people talking about things that don't interest you as an excuse to do the same to them isn't a recepie for good friendships.

By the time they're adults most geeks have got the message that most people aren't interested in their fringe hobbies. But you know the funny thing, social ineptitude isn't unique to geeks and football fans who also happen to be socially inept often don't ever learn that they're being a bore because they're more likely to have a slightly larger fraction of people around them who happen to be into the same hobbies.

Nathan Anderson is a silly git. There are more of us daywalkers than he thinks. I'm currently taking a break from leveling and maxing out professions on my alts with a little air and beer on the back porch while browsing the web. I plan to get back to it until about gametime, or when I get hungry. The Arsenal game this morning was also a nice treat.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:41 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Everyone knows you watch listen to test cricket for the commentary, not for the action - if you only care about the action, you wait for the half-hour highlights show...

...TMS is so much better than the TV commentary :D

Better still is watching Test cricket live, while listening to TMS.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:43 pm UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:
cellocgw wrote:

Aerial Ping-Pong(Aussie Rules Football) is a strange game indeed.

Australia has four brands of football of note. Plus cricket.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:47 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:Australia has four brands of football of note. Plus cricket.

And they're annoyingly good at all of them.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

markfiend

Postby markfiend » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:56 pm UTC

I think Randall has got this one dead wrong.

Professional sports tend to generate sports "stars" who are entitled, privileged arseholes, and fans who indulge in petty, violent tribalism. Not to mention the fact that American Football players are expected to undergo repeated brain-injury for the sake of entertainment. And that (in the US at least) professional sports take resources away from already underfunded educational establishments. (Look at the highest paid employee in each state's education system - 39 out of 50 are sports coaches.) And that not being very good at sports at school is treated as a valid reason to subject you to bullying. And that... well, you get the idea.

The whole system doesn't just deserve to be ignored, it deserves to be reviled.

Don't get me wrong; I've no issue with a few friends getting together for a game, just kicking (or throwing, or batting) a ball around a public park for a bit of a laugh. But don't expect me to be cheering along a team of players who are each paid more in a week than most people earn in a decade, just because their "home stadium" is a few miles from where I grew up. (And even the "local stadium" assumption is on shaky ground these days; local affiliation is all but dead in the UK - it's basically a standing joke that many of the more successful teams have more fans travelling long distances to their home games than their away ones.)

And it rankles, it really does, when one person that I thought would really "get it", Mr XKCD himself, Randall Munroe, is basically saying, "hey, this professional sports thing isn't so bad, you know?" It's not like "people who enjoy watching sports" is some sort of oppressed minority who need our support and solidarity. F*ck that.

(UK version of football (AKA soccer) in this link but it's a great description of how football sounds to people who don't care.)

</rant>
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:36 pm UTC

Oh good, it's an anti-sports snob - hooray! It deserves to be reviled? Get off your high horse. You could trot out half this stuff about the movie and music industries (both horribly exploitative and responsible for some unpleasant people), but nobody suggests we all stop watching movies or listening to music because that would be pretty stupid. Sport is just an easy target for people like you to sneer at.

And nobody's expecting you to be a fan, just let me enjoy sport and I'll let you dislike it.

On a side note the game yesterday was very good.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:45 pm UTC

I watched the game, though I usually have no interest in team sports.

I was rooting for New England because I just happen to live in New England, and also because the Deflate-Gate thing annoys the shit out of me and I want to express my irritation to no one in particular by rooting for the accused.

And what's with the dumping water/Gatorade all over the coach? It was funny one time, but it's not funny, like, 2,000 times. Unless they donate to ALS every time it happens or something?

I did really enjoy the crazy catch at the end by the Seahawks receiver, and he fight was also entertaining.

Hmmm... Maybe there should be a sport that is a cross between Harlem Globe Trotters and Mixed Martial Arts. Is that Hockey?

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:49 pm UTC

"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:34 am UTC

charliepanayi wrote:Oh good, it's an anti-sports snob - hooray! It deserves to be reviled? Get off your high horse. You could trot out half this stuff about the movie and music industries (both horribly exploitative and responsible for some unpleasant people), but nobody suggests we all stop watching movies or listening to music because that would be pretty stupid. Sport is just an easy target for people like you to sneer at.

And nobody's expecting you to be a fan, just let me enjoy sport and I'll let you dislike it.

On a side note the game yesterday was very good.

Yes, the entrainment industry as a whole is completely corrupt due to overly enthusiastic copyright treaties. But theatre/music/movie/videogame fandom tends to be far less disruptive/destructive/violent.

Minstrel

Postby Minstrel » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:35 am UTC

I'm with Randall on the spirit of the thing, or at least a general sense of live and let live with regards to personal interests. He puts it in the context of a friend, but in reality for many non-sports types, its the office where you're essentially trapped into listening to what can seem like endless sports talk. In my experience, most sports fans wouldn't be half as charitable listening to how cool it was that I could basically convert Labyrinth of Madness on the fly from AD&D to C&C or how I finally wrapped my head around EventMachine and event-driven I/O, as any of the non-sports fans in this thread appear to be when listening to half a days post-game talk after any given Sunday/the other 3 game days each week. Talk about your new rare copy of Rurouni Kenshin and you're likely to get polite silence followed by some not-so-polite jests when you leave the room.

Openly anecdotal and not said with malice, only honest observation from experience.

The more hardcore sports geeks, conversely to the general fandom I've known, I suspect would actually be more likely to understand that level of interest.

addams

Postby addams » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:33 am UTC

markfiend wrote:I think Randall has got this one dead wrong.

Professional sports tend to generate sports "stars" who are entitled, privileged arseholes, and fans who indulge in petty, violent tribalism. Not to mention the fact that American Football players are expected to undergo repeated brain-injury for the sake of entertainment. And that (in the US at least) professional sports take resources away from already underfunded educational establishments. (Look at the highest paid employee in each state's education system - 39 out of 50 are sports coaches.) And that not being very good at sports at school is treated as a valid reason to subject you to bullying. And that... well, you get the idea.

Don't get me wrong; I've no issue with a few friends getting together for a game, just kicking (or throwing, or batting) a ball around a public park for a bit of a laugh. But don't expect me to be cheering along a team of players who are each paid more in a week than most people earn in a decade, just because their "home stadium" is a few miles from where I grew up. (And even the "local stadium" assumption is on shaky ground these days; local affiliation is all but dead in the UK - it's basically a standing joke that many of the more successful teams have more fans travelling long distances to their home games than their away ones.)

And it rankles, it really does, when one person that I thought would really "get it", Mr XKCD himself, Randall Munroe, is basically saying, "hey, this professional sports thing isn't so bad, you know?" It's not like "people who enjoy watching sports" is some sort of oppressed minority who need our support and solidarity. F*ck that.

(UK version of football (AKA soccer) in this link but it's a great description of how football sounds to people who don't care.)

</rant>

Yes. I agree with you on many of your points.

Ignoring it does not make it go away.
Nothing is going to make it go away.

There is Truth in Bumper Stickers.
"If you are not OutRaged you are not paying Attention."

Your points are good ones.
I can come up with other examples of Sports
robbing the vitality and creativity of Million of Lives.

But...But..I don't want to spend my life being OutRaged.
The sports people are not all bad. They have snacks.

I like snacks.

In my limited experience, sports people will tell us what color The Good Guys are wearing.
Then, we cheer or do something else. All we need to know is what color to watch.

They don't expect nor want us to know any more than that.
People like you and me should not learn the Rules and Fine Points.

Why? Because, They really Are doing it Wrong, a great deal of the Time.
Everything you said and corruption, too.

We don't need to know that shit.
There is not one thing we can do about it.

Our world is burdened with so many difficulties.
Our efforts are Not well spent fighting sports.

We can be OutRaged.
We can get on the nerves of other people.

Or; We can Shut the fuck Up and eat the Snacks.
The game is only on for 12 hours One Day a year and 6 hours every Friday, Saturday and Monday.

When the Game is not on,
The eyes of America turn to FOX and Reality TV.

You and I could eat the snacks while we make a 100 point list of How Sports Detracts From Society.
As long as we are quiet, they won't care. Spectator Sports are not going away. We may as well eat.

A hunger strike will not impress them.
Let's eat All the food and drink All the Beer!

That will Show Them.
You vomit on the Sofa.
I'll aim for the Heater.

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:23 am UTC

Well, did you guys see that ludicrous display last night?

addams

Postby addams » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:41 am UTC

Klear wrote:Well, did you guys see that ludicrous display last night?

Which one?

by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:12 am UTC

addams wrote:
Klear wrote:Well, did you guys see that ludicrous display last night?

Which one?

Uh, the thing about Arsenal is, they always try to walk it in?

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:43 am UTC

markfiend wrote:I think Randall has got this one dead wrong.

</rant>

There are two things here - the system (which is crappy) and the sports (which are great, if you like sports). The thing is, it's perfectly possible to enjoy sports, while agreeing with your take on the system. Most UK football fans I know are absolutely incensed at the way the FA (i.e. football association, the UK governing body) is acting, lots think that footballers wages should be capped and some are actively campaigning against how the system is working. The situation also very much depends on the sport and the level at which it is played - sure footballers are paid way too much, but UK professional cricketers earn a pretty standard wage for a skilled professional (comparable what a doctor might expect to earn). It's using a very broad brush to say that the whole system "deserves to be reviled". Sure, there are some pretty awful aspects of the system, which do deserve to be reviled and often are reviled by sports fans as well as non-fans; but there are lots of perfectly fine aspects too. I think the same could be said about politics, music, entertainment, education or pretty much any complex cultural institution.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:11 pm UTC

zukenft wrote:It's the finals alright, but the rest of the world are talking about south korea and australia instead of whatever teams are playing in the super bowl.

I'm in the rest of the world and I can't think of anything going on in South Korea right now sports-wise. Australia has just had the tennis finals, but focus will soon switch to the Cricket World Cup.

PinkShinyRose

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:10 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:
zukenft wrote:It's the finals alright, but the rest of the world are talking about south korea and australia instead of whatever teams are playing in the super bowl.

I'm in the rest of the world and I can't think of anything going on in South Korea right now sports-wise. Australia has just had the tennis finals, but focus will soon switch to the Cricket World Cup.

Asia cup? I don't know, something like that was on the news here, because it was related to Iraq and wasn't all negative.
addams wrote:
markfiend wrote:I think Randall has gotthis one dead wrong.

</rant>

Yes. I agree with you on many of your points.

Ignoring it does not make it go away.
Nothing is going to make it go away.

There is Truth in Bumper Stickers.
"If you are not OutRaged you are not paying Attention."

Your points are good ones.
I can come up with other examples of Sports
robbing the vitality and creativity of Million of Lives.

But...But..I don't want to spend my life being OutRaged.
The sports people are not all bad. They have snacks.

I like snacks.

In my limited experience, sports people will tell us what color The Good Guys are wearing.
Then, we cheer or do something else. All we need to know is what color to watch.

They don't expect nor want us to know any more than that.
People like you and me should not learn the Rules and Fine Points.

Why? Because, They really Are doing it Wrong, a great deal of the Time.
Everything you said and corruption, too.

We don't need to know that shit.
There is not one thing we can do about it.

Our world is burdened with so many difficulties.
Our efforts are Not well spent fighting sports.

We can be OutRaged.
We can get on the nerves of other people.

Or; We can Shut the fuck Up and eat the Snacks.
The game is only on for 12 hours One Day a year and 6 hours every Friday, Saturday and Monday.

When the Game is not on,
The eyes of America turn to FOX and Reality TV.

You and I could eat the snacks while we make a 100 point list of How Sports Detracts From Society.
As long as we are quiet, they won't care. Spectator Sports are not going away. We may as well eat.

A hunger strike will not impress them.
Let's eat All the food and drink All the Beer!

That will Show Them.
You vomit on the Sofa.
I'll aim for the Heater.

Does a game of American football take 6 hours? Now I feel for all those American non-football geeks.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:39 pm UTC

PinkShinyRose wrote:Does a game of American football take 6 hours? Now I feel for all those American non-football geeks.

Yes, but only one of those hours is actual play time, the rest is a combination of various stoppages + all the other entertainment that goes on at the Super Bowl. I shouldn't be too judgemental though - I'm a fan of a game that takes five days!

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:55 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
PinkShinyRose wrote:Does a game of American football take 6 hours? Now I feel for all those American non-football geeks.

Yes, but only one of those hours is actual play time, the rest is a combination of various stoppages + all the other entertainment that goes on at the Super Bowl. I shouldn't be too judgemental though - I'm a fan of a game that takes five days!

Actually, the TV schedule showed 4 hours for the game itself (6-10 PM EST) (yes, including (1) half an hour before the game actually started, which included (1a) the song that many people think should be the National Anthem, (1b) the Actual National Anthem, and (1c) the Coin Toss (which, I am not making this up, was something you could bet on in Vegas, but at least it was given even odds); (2) the half-hour halftime / concert, (3) numerous other stoppages of time, mostly for the car and beer commercials which cost advertisers $4.5 million dollars for each 30-second block.) However, this was preceded by another 5 HOURS of mind-numbing pre-game coverage (started at 1 PM EST) and followed by about half an hour of post-game coverage. So, about 9.5 hours, all said and done.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:40 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:the Coin Toss (which, I am not making this up, was something you could bet on in Vegas, but at least it was given even odds)

Why? As an act of festive generosity, a loss-leader, or to try to fool punters into thinking that the odds on all the other bets weren't stacked against them either?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:57 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:I enjoyed this one. It was like the perfect combination of 1332 & an inverted 1053.

The comic was good, the alt. text made me want to stand up and proudly scream
SPOOOORTS BAAAAAALLL!!!!!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”