1485: "Friendship"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

sevenperforce

Re: 1485: "Friendship"

Postby sevenperforce » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:41 pm UTC

ilduri wrote:
sevenperforce wrote:Well, being left-handed hasn't always been a neutral topic either...

Unfortunately, to some people, it still isn't.

Mother of all the gods.

I......there are no words.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:56 pm UTC

The only times I've heard anyone use the phrase "gay marriage" have been in discussions of whether or not it should be legalized, in which case you can't really have the discussion without distinguishing it from straight marriage. (Activist: "Legalize marriage!" Passerby: "Er, wut? I've been legally married for fifty years now...")

Now, if you were to say, for instance, "Joe and Bob have a very happy gay marriage," I might ask why the heck you didn't just say they have a happy marriage. I haven't heard it that way... but then, my social circles are pretty progressive, so maybe I'm just fortunate to have missed that.

Re: the comic, I love how I totally couldn't see the caption coming. I scanned down the whole thing just thinking, "Huh? ...huh?" and then cracked up at the end.
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:21 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Judging solely by the bromance talk page (what? read the actual article? madness!) the main argument for keeping the article is that bromance is a totally new concept that never existed until someone invented the word 20 years ago, and is a totally unique and novel product of our times...

STRONG KEEP!

Also, bring back malamanteau...

From the ongoing deletion discussion:
I feel sad that Wikipedia is so obviously influenced by xkcd. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be having this discussion.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:34 pm UTC

sevenperforce wrote:
ilduri wrote:
sevenperforce wrote:Well, being left-handed hasn't always been a neutral topic either...

Mother of all the gods.

As ridiculous as he is, the waiter and other people he talks about, telling him to use his left hand for his fork, sound even more ridiculous to me. At least this guy has some bullshit religious excuse for why he gives a fuck what hand to use what utensil with; the Frenchy etiquette nazis he's complaining about don't seem to have any reason for their equally ridiculous demands other than "it's just not done that way!" Jesus people. So long as they're not making a mess, who gives a fuck how people eat their food?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Coyoty

Postby Coyoty » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:03 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:So long as they're not making a mess, who gives a fuck how people eat their food?

Depends on which end of the egg they crack.

FireandAir

Postby FireandAir » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:20 pm UTC

ilduri wrote:

A minor consideration compared to many others, but try playing classical string music on a mirror image instrument, while bowing with the left hand. I've been screamed at and accused of mental illness by 21st century Murkins.

Howdy, y'all. Strange place to make my first post here, but there you have it.

ShifterCat

Postby ShifterCat » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:34 pm UTC

I can't believe nobody has brought up the problem with this word-substitution: it suggests that "friendship" can only exist between males.

sevenperforce

Postby sevenperforce » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:14 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
sevenperforce wrote:
ilduri wrote:

Mother of all the gods.

As ridiculous as he is, the waiter and other people he talks about, telling him to use his left hand for his fork, sound even more ridiculous to me. At least this guy has some bullshit religious excuse for why he gives a fuck what hand to use what utensil with; the Frenchy etiquette nazis he's complaining about don't seem to have any reason for their equally ridiculous demands other than "it's just not done that way!"

Most people, when they are cutting their food, typically hold the knife in their dominant hand and their fork in the off hand. Your dominant hand is typically stronger and has greater dexterity, so it makes sense to use the knife with this hand.

Once a bite-size piece has been cut off is when things diverge. In European dining, you simply stab the piece with the fork and eat it, still holding the fork in your off hand. In American dining, you're more likely to see someone put the knife down, transfer the fork to the dominant hand, stab the piece and eat it, then transfer the fork back to the off hand and pick up the knife with the dominant hand again.

Europeans consider the American approach to be somewhat uncivilized and a minor breach of etiquette, simply because picking up and putting down utensils and transferring them back and forth unnecessarily tends to be noisy and distracting. But it's a dominant/off thing, not a right/left thing.

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:05 pm UTC

ShifterCat wrote:I can't believe nobody has brought up the problem with this word-substitution: it suggests that "friendship" can only exist between males.

That second line gave me a pause when I first read the comic, I even checked the wikipedia entry on friendship to see if perhaps it hasn't been vandalized and Randall accidentally copied it.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:06 pm UTC

it's not uncivilized, it's stupid, isn't it?

80-watt Hamster

Postby 80-watt Hamster » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:15 pm UTC

ShifterCat wrote:I can't believe nobody has brought up the problem with this word-substitution: it suggests that "friendship" can only exist between males.

I don't read it that way. It's trying to reframe the (implied to be) unnecessary term "bromance" as simple frienship. It would work equally well if there were a comparable article on "besties" where all occurrences were replaced with "friends". Is that the female equivalent? I think I've only heard it used on TV.

sevenperforce

Postby sevenperforce » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:37 pm UTC

speising wrote:it's not uncivilized, it's stupid, isn't it?

Basically, yes.

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:16 am UTC

80-watt Hamster wrote:

I don't read it that way. It's trying to reframe the (implied to be) unnecessary term "bromance" as simple frienship. It would work equally well if there were a comparable article on "besties" where all occurrences were replaced with "friends". Is that the female equivalent? I think I've only heard it used on TV.

The thing is it's not clear what's happening until the end of the comic, so yeah, I had a wtf moment myself when I started reading it. (then was like wait. that's a bromance, and figured it out. Then I finished reading the comic).

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:32 am UTC

80-watt Hamster wrote:

BFFs?

All bromances are friendships, but not all friendships are bromances. So the two concepts are not the same and one cannot in general be substituted for the other.

In OO terms, Bromance could be seen as a subclass of Friendship. Randall has replaced the subclass with the base class, which is not a valid Liskov substitution. The subclass has specific properties that the base class does not possess. Liskov would allow the reverse substitution: replacing "friendship" with "bromance" in the friendship article. Anything that's true of a friendship should be true of a bromance, since a bromance is-a friendship. But that doesn't work either, because it falls foul of the circle-ellipse problem.

As we've agreed, it's about politics, not logic!

[Edited to add links]
Last edited by orthogon on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:20 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

operagost

Postby operagost » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:10 am UTC

The militia idea isn't even funny. I'm not sure whether he thought it was a funny idea in and of itself, or if he just has some blind, deep-seated hatred of the right to keep and bear arms.

wayne

Postby wayne » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:06 am UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:
Andries wrote:It's a point about politics.

...and thus the thread was lost forever. Well it was fun while it lasted. Have fun exploding with the politics of a completely unrelated subject.

I wouldn't worry too much.

I've heard it observed that (under normal circumstances) The longer a forum thread is active, no matter the subject, the closer to certainty it becomes that a comparison to Hitler will be made.

XKCD threads are a bit different in that a thread about Hitler will eventually devolve into an argument about operating systems or some such.

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:49 am UTC

wayne wrote:XKCD threads are a bit different in that a thread about Hitler will eventually devolve into an argument about operating systems or some such.

That's because only Hitler and his cronies would make somebody use DOS. :mrgreen:

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:34 pm UTC

I took bromance to be more a gentle mocking of the macho "Totally Not Gay" guys who insist they're not gay but have actually fallen for each other.

2 guys in a friendship: "friendship"

2 gay guys in a friendship: "friendship"

2 gay guys in a romance: "romance"

2 gay guys who are also friends in a romance: "romance" + "friendship"

2 macho "Bros" who are "Totally not gay" who are friends and have fallen for each other but take ages to admit it to themselves/each other: "Bromance"

but then that's just the impression I've got from how people use the term.

Hence the comic just seems bizarre to me.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

Andries

Postby Andries » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:38 pm UTC

That's an interesting observation.

It could be that the word is used in this way by some. But I think there's more going on. And I think the key issue is when friendship involves love or emotional intimacy.

Check it out: Most of the popular definitions of bromance emphasize a dimension of awkwardness in the relationship... but some of them suggest that love and intimacy between between straight guys is inevitably awkward.

Urban Dictionary

Describes the complicated love and affection shared by two straight males

Or check out this hilarious wikihow

Avoid doing anything that gives the impression of a date.

:shock:

The subtext is that it there is something uncomfortable, either for the people themselves, or for the speaker, in the notion of friendship between men being anything more than emotionally superficial. For straight men, the message seems to be, emotional intimacy is with women. Everything else is awkward or complicated.

This kind of strange awkwardness around male intimacy is present in the Wikipedia article itself as well. (Which, incidentally, is now being considered for deletion.)

It's a really strange piece of writing, linking the rise of 'bromances' to 'recent generations of men raised by feminist mothers in the 1970s' and who hence are 'more emotionally open and more expressive' (So definitely NOT making the association with machoness etc etc). There are some real gems, like:

Another factor believed to influence bromance is that men are marrying later, if at all.

What's the connection?

Some bromances also involve pretend homosexuality [citation needed]

Indeed.

Is bromance a thing? Or is it just a word for something that has been around for ages, but is now more ringed around with anxiety, awkwardness and concern?

I think Randall is implying that love and intimacy between men is just one aspect of normal friendship. And the weird and disorienting wiki hack is a classic alienation device, drawing your attention to the oddness of the original text.
Last edited by Andries on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Draconaes

Postby Draconaes » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:18 pm UTC

operagost wrote:The militia idea isn't even funny. I'm not sure whether he thought it was a funny idea in and of itself, or if he just has some blind, deep-seated hatred of the right to keep and bear arms.

It could also be that he has not-blind and/or superficial hatred of the right to keep and bear arms. Or he could find the idea of the right to keep and bear arms ridiculous or bemusing. Or maybe he thinks proponents of militias to be worth mocking. Perhaps there is some other explanation entirely. Truly, the possibilities are bordering on endless.

edit: I did find the alt text very amusing.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:29 pm UTC

Carteeg_Struve wrote:That's because only Hitler and his cronies would make somebody use DOS. :mrgreen:

Sound's like someone took a ride in DOS Boot!

wayne wrote:XKCD threads are a bit different in that a thread about Hitler will eventually devolve into an argument about operating systems or some such.

BTW, this quote is amazing and I guess I was just kind of hoping it'd happen sooner. Sorry about that :oops:
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Klear

Postby Klear » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:12 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:

BTW, this quote is amazing and I guess I was just kind of hoping it'd happen sooner. Sorry about that :oops:

Something very similar is quoted in signature of someone frequenting the individual XKCD comics threads, but I can't recall who or what exactly... =/

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:19 pm UTC

Klear wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

Something very similar is quoted in signature of someone frequenting the individual XKCD comics threads, but I can't recall who or what exactly... =/

The quote itself appears to have been first uttered by cephalopod9 in January 2009.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

quantropy

Postby quantropy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:25 pm UTC

I think that one big problem with the word 'Bromance' is that its meaning is at odds with the word 'romance'. Romance used to mean a fantastical story, and so has implications of getting away from everyday life, of a possibly short term relationship (or maybe just the romance is short term), and possibly involving deception. Just as there are holiday romances, you can imagine a holiday bromance meaning a guy meets another guy on holiday and so does lots of new things. The examples in the Wikipedia article seem to be all long term relationships though.

FireandAir

Postby FireandAir » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:34 pm UTC

Andries wrote:
Avoid doing anything that gives the impression of a date.

:shock:

The subtext is that it there is something uncomfortable, either for the people themselves, or for the speaker, in the notion of friendship between men being anything more than emotionally superficial.

Another factor believed to influence bromance is that men are marrying later, if at all.

What's the connection?

The connection is that homosexuality nowdays is more accepted in society, and hence more openly around.

It's an inevitable fear reaction on the fact that society is more accepting of homosexuality in public. Gay men on dates in the past likely did so in areas of town or establishments where they knew they were surrounded only by others of their own kind, for their own safety. Any table with two guys at it in a Denny's would have been two straight dudes, or that could be assumed. (We'll leave aside the fact that I don't know any gay guys who would step foot inside a Denny's.)

Nowdays, any table in ANY RESTAURANT with two guys at it could be a gay couple on a date, so it makes it even more important for Hetero Dudes to distinguish themselves from these newcomer creatures in their newly shared ecosystem.

It's evolution at work. When one species shows up in an unfamiliar tidepool that resembles another, the first may need to start becoming distinctive.

(All driven by fear of being mistaken for gay. Straight dudes didn't have to worry about being mistaken for gay anywhere but in a gay bar. Now they have to worry about it EVERYWHERE! Oh, the humanity!)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:33 pm UTC

FireandAir wrote:(We'll leave aside the fact that I don't know any gay guys who would step foot inside a Denny's.)

You've evidently never met a Rocky Horror cast. Loads of gay people, and traditionally Denny's after every show.

Granted, that's because Denny's is usually the only thing that's open at 3AM, but still...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:18 pm UTC

operagost wrote:The militia idea isn't even funny. I'm not sure whether he thought it was a funny idea in and of itself, or if he just has some blind, deep-seated hatred of the right to keep and bear arms.

*shrug* There really isn't any issue with describing the groups in favor of this thing or that as a fan club, but it would be really unusual to describe, say, the democrats as "liberal fan club". Would probably come across as sarcastic/trivializing, but I agree it doesn't really sound out of place enough to be funny. Just kind of odd.

Much like the primary "joke". It didn't seem to be quite a correct categorization, but was not sufficiently out of place as to be amusing. I don't necessarily mind poking fun at militias, but I agree that this just seemed like an odd statement, not like actual humor.

HungryHobo wrote:I took bromance to be more a gentle mocking of the macho "Totally Not Gay" guys who insist they're not gay but have actually fallen for each other.

Mostly, yes. It's particularly true in movies, where there's often a certain parody of romance movie conventions. Such things are *often* described as a bromance, whereas not every friendship is described as such, nor even every male-male friendship.

There often seems to be intentional awkwardness, and an amusing discrepancy between the actions and expressed views of the guys involved, along with the satire of romances. Granted, this has been in enough movies now that it's almost as tired as the romance movie conventions it mocks, but Hollywood will probably beat it to death for ages anyway.

itaibn

Postby itaibn » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:01 am UTC

John Egbert wrote:look, you're going to have to face it at some point...
that you're learning the meaning of this human emotion called friendship.
I NEVER use all-caps.

JohnsonUSMC

Postby JohnsonUSMC » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:26 am UTC

I think the humor is in the juxtaposition of something that takes itself as seriously as a "militia" vs something that is as casual as a "fan club."

Think of a similar juxtaposition. Instead of Ku Klux Klan --> Ku Klux fanKlub. Or, alternatively, Ku Klux Kosplayers.

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:33 pm UTC

FireandAir wrote:
ilduri wrote:

A minor consideration compared to many others, but try playing classical string music on a mirror image instrument, while bowing with the left hand. I've been screamed at and accused of mental illness by 21st century Murkins.

Why do you play it that way? Isn't the left hand the part that requires the most dexterity in a regular instrument?

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:27 pm UTC

itaibn wrote:
John Egbert wrote:look, you're going to have to face it at some point...
that you're learning the meaning of this human emotion called friendship.

Are you saying that bromance is something like moirallegiance?

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:37 pm UTC

Yeah nah I can't go with Randall on this one.

Bromance does not mean friendship. It doesn't even just mean friendship between men. It is a more specific term and a very useful one.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:05 pm UTC

So it seems Randall has a lot of time on his hands, or is implicitly depicting someone who does. I mean, I can't imagine that, of all the things I can think of to do with my free time, editing the Wikipedia article on "bromance" would ever make the cut - either to mock, or to make a point. I mean, sure, as neologisms go, it's silly and mostly pointless. But so is so much other modern usage. There's hardly any sport in mocking it anymore.

Also, the bit about US militia groups went right over my head. Structurally, it looks like it's supposed to be amusing - but why? It seems equivalent to doing a search/replace of "Tokamak" with "billion-dollar bagel".

Or is his point that a well-regulated Fanclub is necessary to the security of a free State?

addams

Postby addams » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:49 am UTC

keithl wrote:This comic was a really bad idea. Expect retaliation against the xkcd website by a subset of angry wikipedia fans with equally poor impulse control. My apologies, wikipedians, we are not all vandals here.

It's true, keithl.
We are not all vandals.

That's not really vandalism.
We might be looking for new posters.

If you are a bright bunch of people and you want to talk to another bright bunch of people,
How are you going to get them to talk to and engage with you? Get their Attention!

If the Joke is done correctly,
a Practical Joke gets a person's attention.

Sure.
Sure.

They might come in with their Hackles Up.
They might see the Humor in the Situation.

Then they might stay around to set us straight on a thing or two.
The next thing they know, they might be part of an Intentional Family.

Not all Wikipedia Mods will take our meddling well.
I hope we are Responsible Practical Jokers.

Practical Jokes are like Strong Spice.
We must be careful with them.

Practical Jokes are like Spice in they can be too hot.
I hear 'Flame Wars' are unpleasant experiences.

Some of us Like Spice.
Fire is to be avoided.

I'm tired.
Did I understand what happened?

xkcd changed the wikipedia on US militia groups to replace "militia" with the word "fan club".

That Not Vandalism!
That correcting the text!
That corrects the text to describe reality!

"militia" my ass.
Have you ever been to any of those meetings?
I Have!

The US private Fan Boy Clubs are people with too much time and money
and not nearly enough intelligence or education.

US Fan Boy Clubs is a better description of reality.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

FireandAir

Postby FireandAir » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:52 am UTC

brenok wrote:
FireandAir wrote:
ilduri wrote:

Why do you play it that way? Isn't the left hand the part that requires the most dexterity in a regular instrument?

Not so much -- on every stringed instrument, the fingering is the low-hanging fruit. The dominant hand wants to create the sound. If it were better to waste the dominant hand on the fingerboard, the whole world would be playing the other way around, and they aren't.

At any rate, it's something that completely symmetric under a parity reversal, so it doesn't matter -- which makes the really emotionally unhinged* reaction to it utterly unfathomable. As long as the instrument is also mirrored, nothing whatsoever changes. Fingering, bowing, it's all identical.

*I'm not overstating this, unbelievable as it may sound. They really go nuts about it.

Rhyme

Postby Rhyme » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:29 am UTC

FireandAir wrote:
brenok wrote:
FireandAir wrote:
ilduri wrote:

Not so much -- on every stringed instrument, the fingering is the low-hanging fruit. The dominant hand wants to create the sound. If it were better to waste the dominant hand on the fingerboard, the whole world would be playing the other way around, and they aren't.

At any rate, it's something that completely symmetric under a parity reversal, so it doesn't matter -- which makes the really emotionally unhinged* reaction to it utterly unfathomable. As long as the instrument is also mirrored, nothing whatsoever changes. Fingering, bowing, it's all identical.

*I'm not overstating this, unbelievable as it may sound. They really go nuts about it.

Guess I could see a mirror instrument throwing things off in an orchestra where you want uniform sound direction and visuals, but short of space constraints or being really fussed about the former, it's not much of a concern even there, and certainly not worth shouting about. (As a lefty who plays a standard violin, I'd say you might want the stronger hand holding the bow, but outside of that, handedness ends up secondary to practice really quickly.)

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:42 am UTC

Yeah, muscle memory and practice probably trump natural handedness. I had never heard of a mirrored/left-handed piano, until I googled it just now.

I'm left-handed/right-eyed, and there are many things I do right-handed (golf, shoot rifles, bat baseball/softball) because of that.

There are also things I do right-handed (computer mouse) because that's how I learned to do them (my first moused computer was in high school). And now if I try to use a mouse left-handed it's almost impossible (though with practice I could probably become ambimousetrous).

Music-wise, there's shred/stunt guitarist Michael Angelo Batio. Natural lefty, plays one-handed guitars righty, but also plays double- and quad-guitars ambidextrously. (With necks arranged as a V or an X, not a normal parallel-line double-necked guitar.)

wayne

Postby wayne » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:02 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Klear wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:

The quote itself appears to have been first uttered by cephalopod9 in January 2009.

That's probably where I heard it originally.

I don't know about DOS. Hitler would probably force people he didn't like to use windows 8.
Or maybe force people to watch youtube videos using windows 95 on a 66 MHz 386 with 16 MB of RAM. Or worse: Force someone to set up a win95 system on a 66MHz 386 with 16MB RAM so that it can [try to] play a youtube video. :twisted:

The army has some sort of love affair with microsoft, and forces us to use internet explorer for some things. Somehow this is not immoral, and yet waterboarding is. I don't get politics, sometimes. :?
I went Linux a few years ago, and never looked back. Thanks to some blessed soul out there, I now have a virtual machine that runs a highly-modified version of windows 7 with internet explorer, with just enough functionality to do what I need to do at work. It's almost as fast in my virtual machine as it is on the computers at work.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:50 am UTC

"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”