1486: "Vacuum"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Eutychus

1486: "Vacuum"

Postby Eutychus » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:30 am UTC

title="Do you think you could actually clean the living room at some point, though?"

And that is why you should call it a Hoover.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

orthogon

Re: 1486: "Vacuum"

Postby orthogon » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:03 am UTC

It's a pain emptying all the dark matter out of the bag afterwards ,though.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:09 am UTC

A vacuum cleaner sounds like it should be a device that removes dust from the vacuum.

Like, space dust. Removing it from outer space. Leaving a nice, clean vacuum behind.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

casanunda

Postby casanunda » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:13 am UTC

Did you ever play the game Terramex?

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:17 am UTC

"Sigh... you're zero-pointless."

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:51 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:A vacuum cleaner sounds like it should be a device that removes dust from the vacuum.

Like, space dust. Removing it from outer space. Leaving a nice, clean vacuum behind.

The Vacuum of Space!

(I really miss the site I originally downloaded this from.)

moz1959

Postby moz1959 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:51 pm UTC

:( Damn, by comparison my vacuum cleaner just sucks!

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:A vacuum cleaner sounds like it should be a device that removes dust from the vacuum.

I think it sounds like a titanium sublimation pump. They literally clean gas molecules out of an ultra high vacuum chamber by reacting them with titanium.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:43 pm UTC

I'm not sure why you would want to add titanium to your vacuum when you can use a good old ion pump. It can also double as a ion thruster.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 pm UTC

Honestly, because it's the first one I clicked on on wikipedia. I knew about turbomolecular pumps, but that felt more pumpish and less cleanerish, so I had a quick skim of the ultra high vacuum article for inspiration.

sbkp

Postby sbkp » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:54 pm UTC

The universe, or at least as much of it as I can reach before the plug pulls out of the wall...

Andries

Postby Andries » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:09 pm UTC

So does it suck up quantum foam?

Or does quantum foam suck?

Apeiron

Postby Apeiron » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:15 pm UTC

Andries wrote:So does it suck up quantum foam?

Quantum foam man, quantum foam man....

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:40 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:It's a pain emptying all the dark matter out of the bag afterwards ,though.

Not at all. It doesn't clump together like the matter we know so just empty the bottom of the bag or canister towards a massive nearby object and with a simple whipping motion (all in the wrist) 100% of the dark matter gets thrown out and pulled towards it. Slipping effortlessly away.

You don't even need the nearby gravitational object: the force of flicking the dark matter away is stronger than your gravitational attractiveness. You don't have a very high escape velocity.

sevenperforce

Postby sevenperforce » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:57 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:...the force of flicking (entity) away is stronger than your gravitational attractiveness.

This describes my highschool years all too well.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:14 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:You don't have a very high escape velocity.

My escape velocity (according to calctool.org, because I'm lazy) is apparently around 100μm/second. This still seems surprisingly high.

Fungo4

Postby Fungo4 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:27 pm UTC

Anyone notice that quote is stolen straight from Aladdin? ;P

keithl

Postby keithl » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:45 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:My escape velocity (according to calctool.org, because I'm lazy) is apparently around 100μm/second. This still seems surprisingly high.
That may be high enough to attract nearby pastry, form an accretion disk, and turn you into an oblate spheroid, further increasing your laziness. Good luck with that. May the kale be with you. :|

White Beret Guy is fun because he has the scientific understanding and attention span of a housefly, yet produces impressive results. This actually only happens in Hollywood, Washington D.C., and Randall's sketchpad.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:04 pm UTC

Fungo4 wrote:Anyone notice that quote is stolen straight from Aladdin? ;P

I look forward to hearing it in the new Star Wars film...

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:24 pm UTC

Fungo4 wrote:Anyone notice that quote is stolen straight from Aladdin? ;P

The Genie wrote:Do you think you could actually clean the living room at some point, though?

ILMTitan

Postby ILMTitan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:26 pm UTC

casanunda wrote:Did you ever play the game Terramex?

I knew it as Cosmic Relief, but yes, that was the first thing I thought of.

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:36 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:Honestly, because it's the first one I clicked on on wikipedia. I knew about turbomolecular pumps, but that felt more pumpish and less cleanerish, so I had a quick skim of the ultra high vacuum article for inspiration.

Ion Pumps and Turbo Molecular Pumps are two really, really different things.

A Turbopump is a ridiculously high-speed fan with a lot of blades.

An Ion Pump is where you have a cathode and an anode, and at least one is made of a soft metal. You charge them up highly. When something hits one, it charges up, flies off, smacks into the other one so hard that it embeds itself in the metal deep enough that it ain't coming out until you heat that plate up a lot.

Ion gauges also act as ion pumps, but not very well.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:42 pm UTC

Yes, but they are two really, really different things that both have the job of "cleaning" a pre-existing vacuum of excess gas molecules. Therefore they are both vacuum cleaners.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:38 pm UTC

An ion pump is a vacuum cleaner. But a turbo molecular pump is a vacuum compressor. It sucks vacuum from its back and compresses it at its front.

And it's not that high-speed, actually. It's about the speed of a hard disk.

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:33 am UTC

For a fan, that's really high speed.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:48 am UTC

Yes, but it's still about the same as the speeds of turbofans, and much less than that if we talk about linear speed of the tips of the blades and not RPM.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:36 am UTC

These newfangled hipster witches, using vacuum cleaners instead of brooms and berets instead of pointy hats.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:52 pm UTC

Andries wrote:So does it suck up quantum foam?

Quondam Phone, makes me roam...
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Philbert

Postby Philbert » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:19 pm UTC

Do vacuum cleaners actually look like that in the USA? I have never seen a vacuum cleaner like that.
In the Netherlands, it is usually a low box on wheels with a long air hose attached to it, that ends in a long metal tube. Like the one in the Teletubbies.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:26 pm UTC

To add to Philbert's remark, most vacuum cleaners in Europe look approximately like this:
Spoiler:
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:27 pm UTC

Philbert wrote:Do vacuum cleaners actually look like that in the USA? I have never seen a vacuum cleaner like that.
In the Netherlands, it is usually a low box on wheels with a long air hose attached to it, that ends in a long metal tube. Like the one in the Teletubbies.

At least in the UK that particular upright style, with the cloth bag, used to be popular but isn't any more (my grandparents still own one, but that's the only one I know of). Upright vacuum cleaners do exist, but they tend to be more plasticy and futuristic looking. I think the style you describe (which are apparently called cylinder vacuums) are more popular than uprights in the UK these days.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:58 pm UTC

Philbert wrote:Do vacuum cleaners actually look like that in the USA?

Yes, and they are also very noisy.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:09 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:

That property is not unique to the USA models.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:17 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
Philbert wrote:Do vacuum cleaners actually look like that in the USA? I have never seen a vacuum cleaner like that.

At least in the UK that particular upright style, with the cloth bag, used to be popular but isn't any more (my grandparents still own one, but that's the only one I know of). Upright vacuum cleaners do exist, but they tend to be more plasticy and futuristic looking. I think the style you describe (which are apparently called cylinder vacuums) are more popular than uprights in the UK these days.

The cloth-bag uprights seem to have mostly been replaced by Dysons, at least in my UK-based sample space - a vertical plastic cylinder in which a vortex is induced.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:32 pm UTC

One of my colleagues wanted to hoover part of the office, and another colleague said "I think there's a vacuum in the cleaner's cupboard". I think they were right: there is an air intake for the HVAC system in there, so there will indeed be a slight vacuum.

I have a Dyson cylinder vacuum cleaner, mainly because I live in a London flat and it takes up less space. My impression is that the uprights (albeit bagless ones) are still preferred by people who can accommodate them. It's slightly heretical for a British engineer to say this, but I'm not a massive fan of Dyson stuff. It looks beautiful, but it's a bit annoying to use. The "flooring tool" has a pedal that's supposed to switch between two heights (for carpet vs laminate flooring), but it only works one way: I have to squeeze it between my hands to get it to go into the other position. The dust bucket is a bit too flexible, and its lid fits so tightly that it tends to get stuck when you try to take it off because of the force you apply to the bucket, then it suddenly comes out, spilling dust everywhere. And I've never seen any explanation how you're supposed to empty the dust out without creating huge clouds of dust and fits of sneezing and/or pulling the dust and crap out with your hands. That's where innovation is needed. It all smacks of all the effort going into design without anyone on the design team bothering to take one home for the weekend to actually try using it.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:46 pm UTC

OK, so apparently/obviously the American company Hoover became the dominant maker of vacuum cleaners in the UK, to the point where "hoover" is apparently synonymous with "vacuum", both as a noun and a verb. (This is not at all true in the U.S.) My question is, are most vacuums in the UK still Hoovers? Or are the other companies available here, including Bissell, Dirt Devil, Electrolux, and Eureka popular there as well? As well as Dyson, but those are qualitatively different. (I've never had a Hoover myself; I have a Dirt Devil now, and I've had Eureka and Bissell before. I always remember the slogan "Nothing Sucks Like an Electrolux".)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:56 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:My question is, are most vacuums in the UK still Hoovers?

Definitely not, to the extent that I'm not even sure without checking whether Hoover even make hoovers any more.

Edit: Perhaps "Hoover" was always more common as a family name in the US, so didn't lend itself to being coined as a metonym (if that's what it is). In the UK you don't meet many Hoovers.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:07 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Kit. wrote:

That property is not unique to the USA models.

The upright cleaners bring their users closer to their motors. They are probably also harder to be designed quieter, due to geometric limitations. It doesn't mean that all canister cleaners are much quieter than upright ones, but many are.

mathmannix wrote:I always remember the slogan "Nothing Sucks Like an Electrolux".)

I remember it as "Nothing Sucks Like a VAX" (the other VAX, but pun intended).

The canister cleaners from Electrolux are pretty good, actually.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:11 pm UTC

Well it's not that common a surname*. It's just that there were two really famous (or infamous), unrelated people with that name in the U.S. in the past century.

(* - OK, I just checked, and in the year 2000 it was the 532nd most common last name in the U.S., with over 56,000 people. Much more common than I thought, right between Wilkins and Nicholson.)

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:16 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:OK, so apparently/obviously the American company Hoover became the dominant maker of vacuum cleaners in the UK, to the point where "hoover" is apparently synonymous with "vacuum", both as a noun and a verb. (This is not at all true in the U.S.) My question is, are most vacuums in the UK still Hoovers? Or are the other companies available here, including Bissell, Dirt Devil, Electrolux, and Eureka popular there as well? As well as Dyson, but those are qualitatively different. (I've never had a Hoover myself; I have a Dirt Devil now, and I've had Eureka and Bissell before. I always remember the slogan "Nothing Sucks Like an Electrolux".)

In Czech republic we almost always call them "lux" instead of the proper "vysavač", based on the company that later changed its name to Electrolux. I seriously doubt they are in a majority at this point.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”