1493: “Meeting”

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount
Posts: 3069
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

1493: “Meeting”

Postby Qaanol » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:15 am UTC

Meeting

Image

Title: “Here at CompanyName.website, our three main strengths are our web-facing chairs, our huge collection of white papers, and the fact that we physically cannot die.”

Hang on a minute, the woman with the blonde ponytail is immortal? And beret guy too? This…this changes everything!
wee free kings

LonePaladin
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:34 am UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby LonePaladin » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:26 am UTC

Naturally, I immediately tried going to CompanyName.website.

Naturally, it redirected me to xkcd.

User avatar
Djehutynakht
Posts: 1546
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:27 am UTC

I want to work for this company so badly.

User avatar
bachaddict
Handel Played it Better
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:18 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby bachaddict » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:38 am UTC

Today I Learned... The .website top level domain exists.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

User avatar
keithl
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby keithl » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:48 am UTC

IF YOU'RE READING THIS, THE WEB SERVER WAS INSTALLED CORRECTLY.TM is not an actual trademark ... yet. The USPTO filing fee is approximately $300.

User avatar
Coyne
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Coyne » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:19 am UTC

keithl wrote:IF YOU'RE READING THIS, THE WEB SERVER WAS INSTALLED CORRECTLY.TM is not an actual trademark ... yet. The USPTO filing fee is approximately $300.


No, but if you want to see where he got the joke, http://whois.radixregistry.com currently returns:

rregcom.png
Current return from whois.radixregistry.com


RadixRegistry is listed on Wikipedia as the "operator/registry" for .website TLD.
In all fairness...

RobinEJ
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby RobinEJ » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:27 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:Title: “Here at CompanyName.website, our three main strengths are our web-facing chairs, our huge collection of white papers, and the fact that we physically cannot die.”

"And now... the weather"

Hremsfeld
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:50 am UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Hremsfeld » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:07 am UTC

bachaddict wrote:Today I Learned... The .website top level domain exists.


"I'm Homestar Runner, and http://thisisa.website!"

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5589
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:19 am UTC

Reminds me of PlaceholderURL.com https://youtube.com/watch?v=IY_rYlBHFsE
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:24 am UTC

Hremsfeld wrote:
bachaddict wrote:Today I Learned... The .website top level domain exists.


"I'm Homestar Runner, and http://thisisa.website!"

That URL contains ISIS. We all have been placed on the watchlist if we weren't there already.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
keithl
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby keithl » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:01 pm UTC

Coyne wrote:
keithl wrote:IF YOU'RE READING THIS, THE WEB SERVER WAS INSTALLED CORRECTLY.TM is not an actual trademark ... yet. The USPTO filing fee is approximately $300.
No, but if you want to see where he got the joke, http://whois.radixregistry.com currently returns:

The radixregistry page (and countless others) are what you get when you configure the apache httpd server software but have not created an index.html page or other site-specific customizations. The specific radixregistry wording indicates they are using the accelerated nginx variant of httpd. The wording in the comic is slightly different, and probably "trademark-able" (hint hint).

commodorejohn
Posts: 1197
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:21 pm UTC
Location: Placerville, CA
Contact:

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby commodorejohn » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:36 pm UTC

So that's how the dotcom boom happened.
"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling."
- Bjarne Stroustrup
www.commodorejohn.com - in case you were wondering, which you probably weren't.

User avatar
Introbulus
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:09 am UTC
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Introbulus » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:40 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:Hang on a minute, the woman with the blonde ponytail is immortal? And beret guy too? This…this changes everything!

No, unfortunately this only refers to the inextollable and inevitable intangibility of a business and its inability to be embodied in a physical form.

Unless they finished R&D on those eternal life suppliment pills. Then they're physically immortal and I might finally get my kickstarter T-shirt for funding it!
If you can read this, you are wasting your time.

User avatar
balthasar_s
Posts: 2409
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:20 pm UTC
Location: secret base on the Moon
Contact:

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby balthasar_s » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:47 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:That URL contains ISIS. We all have been placed on the watchlist if we weren't there already.

I'm sure that this company's watchlist is just a list of watches.
BSTA
Good luck, my blitzing friends!
BTTBAA:1023 # Mustard? Use the mirror! Blitzing? Also use the mirror! And here's why. # OTT facebug copy
that's a robot so it doesn't countImage
This text was autogenerated:
swimming unit detector active

User avatar
Klear
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Klear » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:27 pm UTC

I think I'd like working in their company. Of course, I'd be terrified of getting fired.

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby orthogon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:39 pm UTC

Klear wrote:I think I'd like working in their company. Of course, I'd be terrified of getting fired.

On the other hand, if you got made redundant that would just mean they hired an extra person to do the same job as you.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

ShadedKnight
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:35 am UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby ShadedKnight » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:10 pm UTC

bachaddict wrote:Today I Learned... The .website top level domain exists.


And now you know that .horse works too!

http://ofcourse.horse

User avatar
Coyne
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:07 am UTC
Location: Orlando, Florida
Contact:

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Coyne » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:19 pm UTC

ShadedKnight wrote:
bachaddict wrote:Today I Learned... The .website top level domain exists.


And now you know that .horse works too!

http://ofcourse.horse


There's quite a few new TLD's now. See List of Internet top-level domains. May be complete now, but my guess is they'll have to give up on listing them. With companies like Google buying multiple TLD's (Google bought: .android, .cal, .chrome, .day, .gbiz, .gle, .gmail, .google, .nexus, .prod, and .youtube) there'll soon be so many names we'll need a whole new cloud just to list the TLD's.
In all fairness...

rdfears
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:36 pm UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby rdfears » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:42 pm UTC

Did anyone else think "SCP" while reading this? From the evidence, I'd initially classify it as Safe, but I still think we should send some D-class personnel in.

User avatar
Reecer6
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:59 am UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Reecer6 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:56 pm UTC

Unpopular opinion: This slowly-updating documentary about white beret's incredibly successful startup is better than Time. It's entertained me more, anyways.

LockeZ
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:30 am UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby LockeZ » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:09 am UTC

He's just using weasel terminology for advertising purposes. Obviously we are all physically incapable of dying until someone proves otherwise, and more importantly, those chairs are facing in a plaid pattern, not a web.

User avatar
Quercus
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:22 pm UTC
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Quercus » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:10 am UTC

Reecer6 wrote:Unpopular opinion: This slowly-updating documentary about white beret's incredibly successful startup is better than Time. It's entertained me more, anyways.


Shush now, or you'll start another out-of-control thread. :D

Nnelg
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 4:44 am UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Nnelg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:07 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Klear wrote:I think I'd like working in their company. Of course, I'd be terrified of getting fired.

On the other hand, if you got made redundant that would just mean they hired an extra person to do the same job as you.

Nah, it's just HR messing around with the clone tool.
keithl wrote:As a rule of thumb, it is imprudent to pass over speed bumps faster than orbital velocity.

rmsgrey
Posts: 3653
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:55 am UTC

Reecer6 wrote:Unpopular opinion: This slowly-updating documentary about white beret's incredibly successful startup is better than Time. It's entertained me more, anyways.


What makes you think your opinion is unpopular?

User avatar
PinkShinyRose
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:54 pm UTC
Location: the Netherlands

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby PinkShinyRose » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:14 am UTC

I wonder how much ICANN will fetch when they register at the stock exchange, they should make plenty of profit now. Their new toy seems sufficiently developed so they'll probably announce their going public any day now.

User avatar
Neil_Boekend
Posts: 3220
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am UTC
Location: Yes.

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:42 am UTC

Reecer6 wrote:Unpopular opinion: This slowly-updating documentary about white beret's incredibly successful startup is better than Time. It's entertained me more, anyways.

It just wouldn't be the same.

Not saying it wouldn't be fun, but not the same.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

User avatar
Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.
Posts: 1455
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:07 am UTC

Title-text wrote:our huge collection of white papers

It's just stacks of blank sheets of paper, right?
Image

User avatar
Quizatzhaderac
Posts: 1821
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:28 pm UTC
Location: Space Florida

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:07 pm UTC

Klear wrote:I think I'd like working in their company. Of course, I'd be terrified of getting fired.
I'd imagine your much more likely to downsized, in which case you'll have trouble reaching things on high shelves.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

User avatar
sevenperforce
Posts: 658
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:01 am UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby sevenperforce » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:19 pm UTC

Xenomortis wrote:
Title-text wrote:our huge collection of white papers

It's just stacks of blank sheets of paper, right?

And we keep all the documentation on green initiatives in the green room.

operagost
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

Re: 1493: “Meeting”

Postby operagost » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:19 pm UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:
Hremsfeld wrote:
bachaddict wrote:Today I Learned... The .website top level domain exists.


"I'm Homestar Runner, and http://thisisa.website!"

That URL contains ISIS. We all have been placed on the watchlist if we weren't there already.

Wow, you're right. That's a clbuttic mistake.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hafting and 97 guests