1509: "Scenery Cheat Sheet"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mathmannix

Re: 1509: "Scenery Cheat Sheet"

Postby mathmannix » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

mystmouse wrote:Just some Iowa geography here....

River City, Iowa (Music Man) was based from Mason City, IA

Riverside, Iowa (Star Trek) is a real town just south of Iowa City, IA

Each of those cities sits in the other's space on the map.

I'm not sure what your source is that River City was based on Mason City, but... in the musical, River City was explicitly just across the state line into Iowa, one railway station into the state, coming from Rock Island, Illinois. Also, "Mason City" is mentioned at the end of "Iowa Stubborn". Iowa City, Iowa (which is on the Iowa River, and also is not mentioned in the list of Iowa towns at the end of that song) makes a lot more sense.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:08 pm UTC

I'm just grateful my city isn't the creature from the black lagoon.
keithl wrote:...wide-open blue skies.
Unless you mean "Not mountainous", that doesn't really work for much of Florida. Most of my city is under a partial canopy of trees (the branches start about three floors up, so they don't occupy much ground space, but they obscure a fair portion of the sky.
So the question is, when will Hollywood disgorge a CGI action movie with space ships, explosions, and car chases, titled "Mark Twain's (your favorite Twain novel here)"?
A Connecticut Yankee in King Aurthur's court. *-punk version.
Shot on the Mississippi.
Renaissance dress (except the Yankee).
British accents (except the Yankee).
Racially diverse cast with no explanations what-so-ever.
Naturally occurring paddle steamers.
Everyone knows Kung fu (except the Yankee).
Female Pope.
19th century pop-science works.
Last edited by Quizatzhaderac on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:31 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

MathUhhhSaurus

Postby MathUhhhSaurus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:17 pm UTC

I am a bit disappointed that my region is Forrest Gump and Gone With the Wind. Neither Only one of those movies was filmed in my state (SC) and it actually was supposed to take place in Alabama (for the most part). The Patriot would have been a good one. And the Notebook!

Edit: "I am" changed itself to "we are" :| Is this a filter? I'm not a regular to these forums.
Last edited by MathUhhhSaurus on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:20 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

dbam987

Postby dbam987 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:18 pm UTC

LOL, Alaska and Hawaii are missing. Here's some suggestions for them:

Alaska: Alaska (<<-- warning: stack overflow detected!)
Hawaii: Battleship, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii Five-O

Edit: The Simpsons Movie was apparently filmed in Alaska too. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi ... _in_Alaska)
Edit #2: According to IMDB, the Simpsons movie had a budget of 75 million... that's.... that's an absurd amount. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462538/?ref_=nv_sr_2)

Jeehannes

Postby Jeehannes » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:21 pm UTC

I miss Southpark...
We think it is an American classic already!

vsmith23

Postby vsmith23 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:26 pm UTC

Totally missed an opportunity of a Deliverance mention.

operagost

Postby operagost » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:26 pm UTC

l don't know about the rest of you folks, but l be pretty tired of the word replacement "jokes" on thi5 BB.

"Day" for the word d4y? Ridiculous.

Edit: and "royal we". And conjugating verbs by the Stereotypical Ebonics primer will be the standard until someone tells the idiot in charge April Fools' D4y is over.

Rifter

Postby Rifter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:31 pm UTC

In reality, Napoleon Dynamite was filmed in South Eastern Idaho, in Preston and Richmond, Utah. The towns are about 14 miles apart. The mountain region depicted on this comic is much prettier. I don't think it has a lot of farmland, either.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:36 pm UTC

operagost wrote:l don't know about the rest of you folks, but l be pretty tired of the word replacement "jokes" on thi5 BB.

"Opened time" for the word d4y? Ridiculous.

Edit: and "royal we". And conjugating verbs by the Stereotypical Ebonics primer will be the standard until someone tells the idiot in charge April Fools' D4y is over.

You're right. This is completely inappropriate for a serious business website.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:44 pm UTC

noodlenorm wrote:Here's a few thoughts on the central US: The Fargo region should basically surround southern and central Minnesota and the eastern side of the Dakotas. As it's drawn, it goes way too far west and includes too much of northern Minnesota. The Dances with Wolves region should be a lot not-as-wee, it should include the western half of the Fargo region. The area labeled "True Grit" doesn't look much like the movie True Grit (even though that's where the movie was supposed to take place). The snowy scenes in the cottonwood trees could take place in that area, but the rest of the movie couldn't.

Yes. Unfortunately, when people associate movies and Minnesota, "fargo" is normally the only result. But in practice, the Fargo area looks nothing like NE Minnesota.

John W Kennedy

Postby John W Kennedy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:00 pm UTC

Actually, Oz is 100% soundstage, including the Kansas scenes.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:30 pm UTC

Seriously though, folks. Note the "For use by geoguesser players or crash-landed astronauts" part of the comic. This isn't an attempt at showing where the movies were actually filmed. This is "If you see a picture of a place and think that it sure looks like [movie], this is the area of the country you're probably looking at".

Alaska Girl

Postby Alaska Girl » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:52 pm UTC

dbam987 wrote:LOL, Alaska and Hawaii being missing. Here's some suggestions was them:

Alaska: Alaska (<<-- warning: stack overflow detected!)
Hawaii: Battleship, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii Five-O
As the Forums' Alaskan rep, I thank you for remembering us and our southern relative.
I'd suggest for Alaska: The Grey, The Deadliest Catch, etc.
Hawaii would be Pirates of The Caribbean (any).
Last edited by Alaska Girl on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:54 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Hatred is blind, as well as love.

bigthemat

Postby bigthemat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:53 pm UTC

Too bad What About Bob takes place in a fictitious city of "Winnepesaukee" (which is an actual Lake in New Hampshire but no town/city of the same name) and was actually filmed in Virginia. New Hampshire's best cinematic claim to fame and it's not true. Jumanji was filmed in Keene, NH, or On Golden Pond which was filmed in Squam Lake, NH

Rrhain

The Roadrunner section is very off

Postby Rrhain » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:07 pm UTC

If you look at the Roadrunner cartoons, there's always a saguaro cactus in the background.

Saguaro are native to Arizona and where it borders Mexico and California (just barely). Thus, if you're in a Roadrunner cartoon, you know you're not in Utah, Nevada, or New Mexico. You're in Southwestern Arizona or possibly on the eastern shore of the Gulf of California.

Back in the 90s, the Today show took their show on the road and for a while was hosting it in Albuquerque. They stylized their logo to have saguaro cacti on either side...which pissed everybody in New Mexico off because once again, somebody confused New Mexico for Arizona.

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:50 pm UTC

... and everything else was filmed at Hollywood North. In and around Vancouver BC Canada. :P
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

Keyman

Re: 1509: &++Symbol Not Found++;++Symbol Not Found++ Cheat S

Postby Keyman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:30 pm UTC

Some of these are just no fun at all. :evil:
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

olie

Postby olie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:29 pm UTC

Randall,

I realize you're from "over there" but, just FYI, us Santa Cruz, Californians, are pretty excited about the fact that _The Lost Boys_ was shot entirely in our little town back before it became A Big Deal, when nobody knew where the hell it was.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:34 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
noodlenorm wrote:Here's a few thoughts on the central US: The Fargo region should basically surround southern and central Minnesota and the eastern side of the Dakotas. As it's drawn, it goes way too far west and includes too much of northern Minnesota. The Dances with Wolves region should be a lot not-as-wee, it should include the western half of the Fargo region. The area labeled "True Grit" doesn't look much like the movie True Grit (even though that's where the movie was supposed to take place). The snowy scenes in the cottonwood trees could take place in that area, but the rest of the movie couldn't.

Yes. Unfortunately, when people associate movies and Minnesota, "fargo" is normally the only result. But in practice, the Fargo area looks nothing like NE Minnesota.

Yup, the "Fargo" bubble needs to be smaller... it looks like west-central MN, bleeding into SE ND and E SD. Northeast MN is a dense pine forest shotgunned with most of the states 10,000 14,000-some lakes, the west half of the Dakotas are the badlands (not that they're towering mountains, but you're not carving Mount Rushmore into anything that looks like Fargo), and the Red River (of the North) Valley between ND and MN can be approximated by a sheet of paper. Though the valley is probably flatter than the paper.

condor216

Postby condor216 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:47 am UTC

The majority of the plot of Forrest Gump was about being in my home state, and he went to the University I'm going to...

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:03 am UTC

Why is my region "The Departed" and not "Ted"? You are from my neck of the woods Randall.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

Sombrero Cat

Postby Sombrero Cat » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:16 am UTC

Hawaii- Jurassic Park, 50 first dates, and movie with Owen Wilson and Morgan Freeman. Probably a handful of surf movies too. Mahala!

Pirates of The Caribbean (Mexico)

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:33 am UTC

speising wrote:I didn't know they made a movie from Oregon Trail.

I'd guess Randall was directly referencing the computer game, which as far as I know, they have not made a movie of. It's a little joke to include it on this map.

I'm fairly sure there's been at least one movie named "The Oregon Trail". I'm not going to waste time looking it up on IMDB, though.
Whenever visually representing the universe, it's important to include a picture of Saturn!
-- Tom the Dancing Bug

Eternal Density

Re: 1509: "Scenery Cheat Trousers"

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:17 am UTC

We think we've only seen two of the named titles.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

dirkomatic

Postby dirkomatic » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:07 pm UTC

Hate to thread crap, as so many others are doing... But "What About Bob?" was filmed at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. Not in New England. I guess it's at least generic enough to pass for New England.

I really dislike when movies try to pass of places as somewhere where they are not when it's really obvious... This may be a little obscure, but the horror movie Wrong Turn is supposed to take place in Greenbrier County, WV and the forest there looks NOTHING like Greenbrier County, WV.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:58 pm UTC

dbam987 wrote:Edit: The Simpsons Movie was apparently filmed in Alaska too. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fi ... _in_Alaska)
Edit #2: According to IMDB, the Simpsons movie had a budget of 75 million... that's.... that's an absurd amount. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462538/?ref_=nv_sr_2)

Umm, no. The Simpsons movie was set (partially) in Alaska, not filmed there. (It was "filmed" at four studios - two in the Los Angeles area, and two in Seoul, South Korea.)

This map is, however, a mix of filming locations (Starship Troopers is filmed in SoCal and Wyoming-South Dakota (as shown), but set, respectively, in Argentina and on alien planets; Dirty Dancing was filmed in Virginia and North Carolina as shown, but took place in the Catskills in New York) and setting locations (The Wizard of Oz and The Music Man were both filmed in Hollywood (on obvious sets, I might add), but took place in Kansas (and Oz!) and Iowa, respectively, as shown). But the point of this comic is that the places where these movies are labeled on the map looks (in theory, anyway) like the scenery in the respective movies. So, by this measure, parts of Alaska do look like parts of the Simpsons movie.

And yes, while $75 million certainly does seem like a lot to spend making an animated movie 87 minutes (~ 4 TV episodes) long, it was obviously worth it; the movie made $527 million at the box office. Their investment paid off.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:28 pm UTC

The Wizard of Oz region is misleading: most of the movie doesn't look anything like Kansas. The real Kansas is black and white. Fact.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:55 pm UTC

COME ON Randy, use Boondocks Saints instead of that TERRIBLE "Departed" movie (though a lot more of it was actually shot in Boston I guess…. grumble grumble…oooh use Next Stop Wonderland?)

I kept thinking about All Dogs Go To Heaven the entire time I was watching The Frog Princess.

I wonder how many of these movies Randall actually watched, and how many he's just researched for locations. I'd like to believe he actually saw Beasts of the Southern Wild, that movie was pretty awesome. I like the short that started it even more. Glory At Sea! please watch it.
Last edited by Sprocket on Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

John W Kennedy

Postby John W Kennedy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:02 pm UTC

In the book, Baum’s description of Kansas, where he had never been, is based on his years in South Dakota.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:04 pm UTC

John W Kennedy wrote:years in South Dakota.
why would anyone do that?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

John W Kennedy

Postby John W Kennedy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:31 pm UTC

He wanted to be somewhere that Woolworth hadn’t already snapped up all the good locations.

squall_line

Postby squall_line » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:39 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I think some people are misreading the graph. It's "if the place you're in looks like [movie titles / descriptions], you're probably in [circled region]". It's not saying said movies were actually set or filmed in those regions.

For example, parts of the southwest and Florida both look like the Truman Show because of the "little houses made of ticky-tacky" effect; the colorful Americana style exurban tract housing in a bright sunny area with wide-open blue skies.

JudeMorrigan wrote:Seriously though, folks. Note the "For use by geoguesser players or crash-landed astronauts" part of the comic. This isn't an attempt at showing where the movies were actually filmed. This is "If you see a picture of a place and think that it sure looks like [movie], this is the area of the country you're probably looking at".

While I can see how this particular misinterpretation can be made based on the content of the image itself, the PRIMARY title itself ("Figuring out where in the US you are by the scenery") actually indicates the other interpretation.

For example, saguaro cacti, which are native to certain regions, appearing in movies that are allegedly set in a different place. If one were to find themselves in an area with those plants and had NO other knowledge of US geography, they would THINK that they were in somewhere completely different than where they ACTUALLY were.

To be completely honest, when I saw the heading on the image, I was hoping that it would be accurate to the most reasonable interpretation of its wording: "You may think you're in this movie, but you're actually in this other completely different place." That is, as others have quite adequately pointed out, "if you see xxx in the background, you're actually in yyy".

Or scenes in Blues Brothers and other movies that were, in reality, many tens (or hundreds) of miles apart, but only took a few minutes to travel between by automobile, or traveling the wrong way over a bridge to reach one's destination, as in The Graduate (I could go on, but a google search of "geography errors in movies" is more instructive).

This almost seems to be Randall trolling the fan base by intentionally not creating the sort of "ironic" or "literal" maps that he is known for, and having a poster title that doesn't really match the content.

As an aside, my favorite version of this particular "these aren't the backgrounds you're looking for" trope is in Kentucky Fried Movie, during the opening scene of the "A Fistful of Yen" sketch: they pan an aerial shot of a harbor, label it on-screen as "Hong Kong", and then the Statue of Liberty drifts into view. :D

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:54 pm UTC

John W Kennedy wrote:He wanted to be somewhere that Woolworth hadn’t already snapped up all the good locations.

I admit it, you are funnier than I am :)

tmicheletto

Postby tmicheletto » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:34 pm UTC

Having had to miss a few days of life due to Groundhog Day filming, I can verifiably say it was filmed in Woodstock Il. That said, there really isn't anything terribly unique about the town other than its ready supply of Ghost Pepper hot sauce.

imantodes

Postby imantodes » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:39 am UTC

Regarding True Grit: Neither one (the original w/ John Wayne nor the Coen Bros. version) was filmed anywhere within that blob. There should really be two True Grit blobs; one covering southwestern Colorado, the other covering northern New Mexico.

I'm not sure if this graphic is supposed to represent where the scenery in the films was actually filmed, or where we're supposed to think it was filmed. If the latter, most of the classic westerns that open with a shot labelled along the lines of "1843, Texas" could be given blobs in Texas... if the former, the same films mostly get blobs in northeastern Arizona. Neither approach is really consistent with the comic's map, though; e.g., most of southern New Mexico doesn't look like the scenery in No Country for Old Men, nor are we intended to believe it was filmed in southern New Mexico. The book is set in Terrell County, Texas while the scenery was filmed in the general vicinity of Marfa and Alpine, Texas...

imantodes

Postby imantodes » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:40 am UTC

I suppose it's most likely that the comic is intended as nerd-sniping.

Oracle

Postby Oracle » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:42 am UTC

The Invention of Lying - Let's hear it for Lowell, MA!
"Get the facts first. You can distort them later."
-Mark Twain

Larry-Man

Postby Larry-Man » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:13 am UTC

Interstellar, like Brokeback Mountain, was filmed in Southern Alberta. I'm not sure what the corresponding part of the US looks like as I've never been but if you've ever been to the Alberta prairies the earth scenes practically scream the name of the area.

Alaska Girl

Postby Alaska Girl » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:19 pm UTC

Alaska Girl wrote:I'd suggest for Alaska: The Grey, The Deadliest Catch, etc.
Hawaii would be Pirates of The Caribbean (any).

Sombrero Cat wrote:Hawaii- Jurassic Park, 50 first dates, and movie with Owen Wilson and Morgan Freeman. Probably a handful of surf movies too. Mahala!

Pirates of The Caribbean (Mexico)

Well, you're right in that the Pirates series was only in part filmed in Hawaii. What I was thinking of was On Stranger Tides - filmed all over Kauai. But it seems the most recent installment was mostly filmed in Australia, and the others were on location all over the place - Bahamas, Hawaii, California, etc.

Another for Alaska: The Frozen Ground (2013). I was wrong on The Grey - it was filmed in Canada, hah!
Hatred is blind, as well as love.

Cougar Allen

Postby Cougar Allen » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:11 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:I don't know where a lot of the places are in the current comic, but I'm pretty sure all the outdoor background sounds feature kookaburras.

Where do those birds that look like a bald eagle but sound like a red-tail hawk live?

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”