1514: "PermaCal"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dr What

1514: "PermaCal"

Postby Dr What » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:13 am UTC

title="The flood of PermaCalNTP leap-second notifications was bad enough, but when people started asking for millisecond resolution, the resulting DDOS brought down the internet."

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: 1514: "PermaCal"

Postby Flumble » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:34 am UTC

You, too, must heed law VI: Provide some commentary below. This is a discussion after all... No point in just posting what's on the front page of xkcd.com and providing nothing else of value.

If broadcasting were properly done on the internet, leap-second notifications every millisecond would have less effect than a drop of water on the Sun.

improvnerd

Postby improvnerd » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:03 am UTC

This comic reminded me of the classic Goon Show routine "What time is it, Eccles?":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tjHlFPTwVk&app=desktop

Bluebottle: What time is it Eccles?
Eccles: Err, just a minute. I, I've got it written down 'ere on a piece of paper. A nice man wrote the time down for me this morning.
Bluebottle: Ooooh, then why do you carry it around with you Eccles?
Eccles: Well, umm, if a anybody asks me the ti-ime, I ca-can show it to dem.
Bluebottle: Wait a minute Eccles, my good man...
Eccles: What is it fellow?
Bluebottle: It's writted on this bit of paper, what is eight o'clock, is writted.
Eccles: I know that my good fellow. That's right, um, when I asked the fella to write it down, it was eight o'clock.
Bluebottle: Well then. Supposing when somebody asks you the time, it isn't eight o'clock?
Eccles: Ah, den I don't show it to dem.
Bluebottle: Ooohhh...
Eccles: [Smacks lips] Yeah.
Bluebottle: Well how do you know when it's eight o'clock?
Eccles: I've got it written down on a piece of paper!

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:05 am UTC

It has always been 5:02 PM on 22 April 2011.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

cellopants

Postby cellopants » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:25 am UTC

To be honest, I thought this was going to be an "avoiding acknowledging 4/20" joke. I guess I've just braced myself too hard.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:51 am UTC

cellopants wrote:To be honest, I thought this was going to be an "avoiding acknowledging 4/20" joke. I guess I've just braced myself too hard.

Wow, I'm one of today's lucky 10,000. I'd never heard of 4/20, but thanks to the Great Wiki, I am now better informed. I love the idea that marijuana use is now so genteel and middle class that there's a "socially acceptable time" (4.20pm) to start smoking. It's redolent of the "sun over the yardarm" criterion. I can imagine an exchange amongst members of the home counties set: "I say, Marjorie, is the sun over the yardarm?" "Not yet, Martin, but it's gone twenty past four and I scored an eighth of that bad-ass skunk the other day"
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

speising

Postby speising » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:28 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
cellopants wrote:To be honest, I thought this was going to be an "avoiding acknowledging 4/20" joke. I guess I've just braced myself too hard.

Wow, I'm one of today's lucky 10,000. I'd never heard of 4/20, but thanks to the Great Wiki, I am now better informed. I love the idea that marijuana use is now so genteel and middle class that there's a "socially acceptable time" (4.20pm) to start smoking. It's redolent of the "sun over the yardarm" criterion. I can imagine an exchange amongst members of the home counties set: "I say, Marjorie, is the sun over the yardarm?" "Not yet, Martin, but it's gone twenty past four and I scored an eighth of that bad-ass skunk the other day"

thats kind of contradictory, since the sun is over the yardarm at 11am, isn't it?
also, i learned the phrase "let's cut the yardarm" (=drink before 11am) from an sf novel.

Locoluis

Postby Locoluis » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:33 am UTC

Today is September 7902, 1993, according to some.

Edit: 1993-09-7902
Last edited by Locoluis on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Sueños del Sur - A webcomic about four siblings, their family, friends, adventures and dreams.
http://sds.lgm.cl/

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:40 am UTC

speising wrote:
orthogon wrote:

thats kind of contradictory, since the sun is over the yardarm at 11am, isn't it?
also, i learned the phrase "let's cut the yardarm" (=drink before 11am) from an sf novel.

That appears to be historically correct, but as the article points out, "the [alcoholic drink] usage typically refers to early evening", and in my particular social circles the sun is very commonly held to be "over the yardarm" at 6pm. This start time is so ingrained that I forgot to even mention it when composing my imaginary dialogue.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:24 am UTC

Flumble wrote:You, too, must heed law VI: Provide some commentary below. This is a discussion after all... No point in just posting what's on the front page of xkcd.com and providing nothing else of value.

If broadcasting were properly done on the internet, leap-second notifications every millisecond would have less effect than a drop of water on the Sun.

"...drop of water on the Sun." --> Haven't you heard of the Butterfly Effect ?
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:32 am UTC

cellocgw wrote:"...drop of water on the Sun." --> Haven't you heard of the Butterfly Effect ?

I'd say What if 14 is more relevant.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

drjenkins

Postby drjenkins » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:35 pm UTC

improvnerd wrote:This comic reminded me of the classic Goon Show routine "What time is it, Eccles?"

It reminded me of the Beverly Hillbillies, when Jethro was showing off his new wristwatch.

Mr. Drysdale: What time is it Jethro?
Jethro: in thirty seconds it will be exactly.. no wait, in twenty five seconds it will be exactly... no wait, in twenty seconds it will be exactly...

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:29 pm UTC

That PermaCal never quite gets to 4/20 is probably a stoner's worst nightmare.
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:04 pm UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:That PermaCal never quite gets to 4/20 is probably a stoner's worst nightmare.

And a source of great joy to those who believe in continued (and increased) prohibition.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:07 pm UTC

I keep thinking "PermaCal" is a decal that can't be removed. Especially since I learned the word decal from xkcd in the first place and have never seen it anywhere else.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:23 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:I keep thinking "PermaCal" is a decal that can't be removed. Especially since I learned the word decal from xkcd in the first place and have never seen it anywhere else.

Hmm... I had never thought about the word "decal" before; I guess I assumed it was short for some longer English word (or at least one I knew, but apparently the longer word is "decalcomania", which I have never ever heard!) Anyway, the term is a fancy word for sticker, I guess, but it is used ubiquitously in at least two fields: hobby building of models (vehicles at least - planes, trains, automobiles, ships, etc.), and for stickers on actual vehicles, whether government-mandated (like the expiration sticker on a license plate, or the emissions inspection sticker on your windshield) or for personal reasons (like your alma mater, or symbols showing your family, or unauthorized art of Calvin and Hobbes, etc.), usually on the rear window. And they are pretty much permanent - they don't peel off easily, usually only with a scraper if they have been on for years, and bonded with the glass or metal.

vodka.cobra

Postby vodka.cobra » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:49 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
vodka.cobra wrote:That PermaCal never quite gets to 4/20 is probably a stoner's worst nightmare.

And a source of great joy to those who believe in continued (and increased) prohibition.

So basically nobody under the age of 30 who isn't an outright nutter?

(I don't and never have done drugs, and I never intend to. But I think prohibition is stupid; it does more harm than good.)
If the above comment has anything to do with hacking or cryptography, note that I work for a PHP security company and might know what I'm talking about.

puppysized

Postby puppysized » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:06 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:
orthogon wrote:I keep thinking "PermaCal" is a decal that can't be removed. Especially since I learned the word decal from xkcd in the first place and have never seen it anywhere else.

Hmm... I had never thought about the word "decal" before; I guess I assumed it was short for some longer English word (or at least one I knew, but apparently the longer word is "decalcomania", which I have never ever heard!) Anyway, the term is a fancy word for sticker, I guess, but it is used ubiquitously in at least two fields: hobby building of models (vehicles at least - planes, trains, automobiles, ships, etc.), and for stickers on actual vehicles, whether government-mandated (like the expiration sticker on a license plate, or the emissions inspection sticker on your windshield) or for personal reasons (like your alma mater, or symbols showing your family, or unauthorized art of Calvin and Hobbes, etc.), usually on the rear window. And they are pretty much permanent - they don't peel off easily, usually only with a scraper if they have been on for years, and bonded with the glass or metal.

I have wall decals in my room. They're just stickers :P
I think you can also call the stickers you put on your laptop decals as well. It does sound nicer than saying stickers.

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:33 pm UTC

Mentions of "420" bug me mostly because they suggest that someone's drug of choice is so important to them and/or their very identity that they choose to put it in their handle, screen name, etc etc.

"Yeah, we get it, you like the weed. No one cares."

Keyman

Postby Keyman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:03 pm UTC

vodka.cobra wrote:
mathmannix wrote:

So basically nobody under the age of 30 who isn't an outright nutter?

(I don't and never have done drugs, and I never intend to. But I think prohibition is stupid; it does more harm than good.)

Doesn't matter if it works or if it's stupid. 'The first principle of freedom is the right to go to hell in your own handbasket.'
Nothing could be more ill-judged than that intolerant spirit which has, at all times, characterized political parties. - A. Hamilton

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:36 pm UTC

What does four twentieths have to do with drugs?
Oh, I gues that's an american date.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:04 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Oh, I gues that's an american date.

Also known as an "incorrect" date. Give me ISO-8601 or give me death!

addams

Postby addams » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:28 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:What does four twentieths have to do with drugs?

Yes. It is an American Thing.

The way I heard The Story
In California the Police called possible possession of marijuana a 420.

After ...many, let's call the number many.
After, many arrests, people that were Not in Jail would take a 4/20 break and Think.

A very long time ago, when men, mostly men, were having their lives wasted in Jail,
Other people would take a 4/20 break and Think. It looked a lot like prayer.

In California those prayers were answered.
Go in your own HandBasket. Don't go to Jail.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

jeanrenaud

Postby jeanrenaud » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:44 am UTC

Why does she asked for today's day if she knew that yesterday was the 19th ?

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:04 am UTC

StClair wrote:Mentions of "420" bug me mostly because they suggest that someone's drug of choice is so important to them and/or their very identity that they choose to put it in their handle, screen name, etc etc.

"Yeah, we get it, you like the weed. No one cares."

This is one of those weird synchronicity coincidence things - I had never ever heard of 420 in such a context before, and then it crops up in a matter of days in the excellent Around The NFL podcast (in a coded discussion of someone's Twitter handle) and then, before I remembered to get around to Googling it, it crops up again here in forums.xkcd

There can, I suspect, be very few occasions in which an NFL-related query or misunderstanding has been resolved by xkcd ...

heatsink

Postby heatsink » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:40 pm UTC

There is a Haskell package with a function to get the current year, without side effects. It's a great demonstration of how supposedly side-effecting functions can be implemented purely with no loss of efficiency. The only drawback is that, on occasion, you need to update to the newest version. It's currently at version 2015.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:44 pm UTC

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:00 pm UTC

Not quite the same thing, but I went to a great talk which included a bit about test-driven development (something I admire other people's ability to do). The guy was talking about an is_leap_year function, and suggested you start with

Code: Select all

bool is_leap_year(int year)
{
  return false;
}

It will pass the majority of your tests, but will fail for example is_leap_year(2008). You fix that, and continue to twerk it as you add more tests. I'm not sure I agree - it smacks of trial and error rather than proper design, and removes the element of redundancy inherent in trying to get the code right and using the tests to test it - but the guy knew much more about software development than me, so...

CigarDoug

Postby CigarDoug » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:07 pm UTC

addams wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:What does four twentieths have to do with drugs?

Yes. It is an American Thing.

The way I heard The Story
In California the Police called possible possession of marijuana a 420.

After ...many, let's call the number many.
After, many arrests, people that were Not in Jail would take a 4/20 break and Think.

A very long time ago, when men, mostly men, were having their lives wasted in Jail,
Other people would take a 4/20 break and Think. It looked a lot like prayer.

In California those prayers were answered.
Go in your own HandBasket. Don't go to Jail.

The story I heard was that several stoners at a certain California high school gathered in the parking lot or some other stoner-significant area and consumed their herbs at 4:20 in the afternoon, every day or thereabouts, but always at 4:20. "Hey, man! It's almost 4:20!" "Cool, brah, let's go!" etc.

At some point one of the less-herb-infused realized that 4/20 was a date as well, so that became an extra-special day to consume; especially for those straights who needed an EXCUSE to partake, who could now do it just once a year in tribute. So 420 is a time as well as a date, depending on your commitment to the cause.

Also, this: Colorado replaces 420 mile marker with 419.99 after multiple thefts
"If we all do one small thing to help; in our organizations, our churches, our community, how much can we accomplish together?"

CigarDoug

Postby CigarDoug » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:14 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:You fix that, and continue to twerk it as you add more tests.

orthogon wrote:but the guy knew much more about software development than me, so...

I HOPE so. I never had an occasion to twerk code, whether I was doing test-driven development or not. #NerdsDon'tTwerk
"If we all do one small thing to help; in our organizations, our churches, our community, how much can we accomplish together?"

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:37 pm UTC

CigarDoug wrote:
orthogon wrote:You fix that, and continue to twerk it as you add more tests.

orthogon wrote:but the guy knew much more about software development than me, so...

I HOPE so. I never had an occasion to twerk code, whether I was doing test-driven development or not. #NerdsDon'tTwerk

Yeah, the Modness goes away for another year, but the odd vestige remains. I noticed it in the preview, but thought I may as well leave it: it's quite funny after all...

ETA: Anyway ,the degree of modification needed to fix that is_leap_year() implementation is probably more accurately described as twiddling, if not full-blown frobnostication.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:34 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:Oh, I gues that's an american date.

Also known as an "incorrect" date. Give me ISO-8601 or give me death!

ISO-8601... in which yesterday was 2015-04-20?

sfmans wrote:This is one of those weird synchronicity coincidence things - I had never ever heard of 420 in such a context before, and then it crops up in a matter of days in the excellent Around The NFL podcast (in a coded discussion of someone's Twitter handle) and then, before I remembered to get around to Googling it, it crops up again here in forums.xkcd
More likely, you don't remember having heard about it before, because the times you heard it were far enough apart that you forgot one before the next one happened, and it was never important enough to check right away.

(I tend to view with great skepticism anyone's claim that they'd never heard a common word or expression before some really recent date, because bad memory and the recency illusion tend to be more prevalent than English-using existences sheltered from those words or expressions.)

orthogon wrote:Yeah, the Modness goes away for another year, but the odd vestige remains.
The "twerk" filter isn't from a Modness.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:10 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
orthogon wrote:Yeah, the Modness goes away for another year, but the odd vestige remains.
The "twerk" filter isn't from a Modness.

Maybe not from an actual Modness, but if I may dare to speculate on the motives of our Mod overlords, it feels similar in aim to the Modness filters. I mean, the gerbil swallowing ones are presumably intended to catch out the anti-PC brigade, and the "Oh me yarm" one is arguably a way of discouraging an overused phrase, whereas the twerk filter is there just for comic effect; the word it replaces is extremely useful and not particularly prone to abuse.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:43 pm UTC

Oh yeah? Hitler was born on 4/20.
</argument>

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”