1518: "Typical Morning Routine"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Dr What

1518: "Typical Morning Routine"

Postby Dr What » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:47 am UTC

title="Hang on, I've heard this problem. We need to pour water into the duct until the phone floats up and ... wait, phones sink in water. Mercury. We need a vat of mercury to pour down the vent. That will definitely make this situation better and not worse."

Long battery life and water-proof! Where can I get one?
http://www.xkcd.com/1518 is 404. weird.
Update: fixed now.

Envelope Generator

Re: 1518: "Typical Morning Routine"

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:11 am UTC

A floor vent in a home? Is this a US thing? Does it have something to do with Thanksgiving? Where do the vents lead? Are the grills not user-removable?
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:18 am UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:A floor vent in a home? Is this a US thing? Does it have something to do with Thanksgiving? Where do the vents lead? Are the grills not user-removable?
I was simply wondering what this vent was doing so close to where the bed is and what else it might have consumed.

Based on my own experience, I was also predicting that the loudest sound this phone makes, far louder than the alarm, will be its the "battery about to die" alert, every few minutes - probably starting around 3am and lasting a lot longer than any dying battery should.
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:02 am UTC

I have floor vents in my house and it's basically impossible to avoid having some piece of furniture or another either on or at best very near one. In fact I have one in about the same position relative to my bed as depicted in this comic. The ducts lead to the central air-heating furnace, and all the ones I'm familiar with have faceplates that are removable with just two screws, though fishing something out of the duct behind it might not be so simple depending on how deep it goes under the floor. (In my case I'm pretty sure I could easily reach anything that fell through mine; also, I don't think the slats in my vents are far enough apart for a phone to fall through them).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:06 am UTC

Seems like this guy again:

If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

fluffysheap

Postby fluffysheap » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:14 am UTC

This happens to me all the time. It usually turns out that I can't shut the alarm off because I need to wake up first.

Floor vents are a thing, yeah. I have a few, one in a similar position. Overall, I think they're better than wall vents. I find they tend to be in rooms where the wall you would want to put the vent in is an exterior (brick or cement) wall where a vent can't really be installed.

Archgeek

Postby Archgeek » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:27 am UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:A floor vent in a home? Is this a US thing? Does it have something to do with Thanksgiving? Where do the vents lead? Are the grills not user-removable?

I too can vouch for the existence of vented floors. I once lived in a house bearing such vents, and with a foundation of the sort that animals can get underneath and run around, as well as an undetected breach in the underducts. This led to a young housecat from somewhere around the neighborhood entering and nudging his way up past an unfastened vent grill into a housemate's (closed) bedroom, where the friendly beast provided an odd surprise when the door was eventually opened.

Though I am now woefully curious about the basis for your Thanksgiving inference. Possible use in the cooling of pies?
"That big tube down the side was officially called a "systems tunnel", which is aerospace contractor speak for "big tube down the side."

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:02 am UTC

The iPhone 6V: Now With Vent-Proofing

speising

Postby speising » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:11 am UTC

Please, tell me which smart phone lasts for weeks! I want that so badly.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:11 am UTC

My first thought was "what kind of alarm clock is small enough that it can fall between the slats in a vent?"

And then it became clear the alarm was on a phone.

I feel old... and I'm not, actually.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:33 am UTC

My vent is in the ceiling. Ha!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

speising

Postby speising » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:37 am UTC

I actually had the problem of panel two. Somehow i managed to dismiss the alarm app without shutting it up. The only thing i could do was reboot.

sfmans

Postby sfmans » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:38 am UTC

One of the many reasons why a decent analogue alarm clock is still the best tool for the job. It also won't wake you up an hour early because one of your friends is up slightly earlier than you and shares a picture of the sunrise on Facebook ...

Whatever happened to the good old days when the rest of us could laugh at the iPhone users who were an hour late / early getting to appointments every time the clocks changed?

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:46 am UTC

During the night Tasker places my phone in silent mode. Only the alarm clock is allowed to make noise.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

TheEngineer

Postby TheEngineer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:48 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:My vent is in the ceiling. Ha!

Then please don't install Helium on your phone.
Last edited by TheEngineer on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:16 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sotanaht

Postby sotanaht » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:59 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:
I was simply wondering what this vent was doing so close to where the bed is and what else it might have consumed.

Based on my own experience, I was also predicting that the loudest sound this phone makes, far louder than the alarm, will be its the "battery about to die" alert, every few minutes - probably starting around 3am and lasting a lot longer than any dying battery should.

As it happens, there is a floor vent about one foot to the right of the head of my own bed. Part of the central heating system. The slats aren't far enough apart to swallow a phone though even if you tried putting it in deliberately, and the bottom is only a couple feet down, easily accessible if you remove (or perhaps, destroy) the cover.

Anyway, what kind of phone battery lasts for weeks? My own experience they hardly last for days when completely idle, and with the alarm going I doubt mine would making it to 12 hours.
Last edited by sotanaht on Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:33 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bachaddict
Handel Played it Better

Postby bachaddict » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:11 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:During the night Tasker places my phone in silent mode. Only the alarm clock is allowed to make noise.

I turn on flight mode every night. Not that I get any notifications during that time anyway.
slinches wrote:Also, the OTC isn't a disease. In fact, it's the cure. As we all know, Time heals all wounds.

Thanks for the molpish wig ggh!
he/him/his

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:26 am UTC

Archgeek wrote:

I too can vouch for the existence of vented floors. I once lived in a house bearing such vents, and with a foundation of the sort that animals can get underneath and run around, as well as an undetected breach in the underducts. This led to a young housecat from somewhere around the neighborhood entering and nudging his way up past an unfastened vent grill into a housemate's (closed) bedroom, where the friendly beast provided an odd surprise when the door was eventually opened.

Though I am now woefully curious about the basis for your Thanksgiving inference. Possible use in the cooling of pies?

It's just one of those things like "junior prom" that we hear about all the time but only have a vague idea what they are. Also,
Pfhorrest wrote:furnace

I remember reading this word in Gone Girl and being puzzled for a while. We would call it a "boiler", though we tend to favour water-based central heating, so I don't know what we call the thing that heats up the air in a hot air system. But I'm pretty sure it's not a "furnace": that's something industrial-sized used for melting steel and the like.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

biohazard

Postby biohazard » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:12 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Archgeek wrote:

It's just one of those things like "junior prom" that we hear about all the time but only have a vague idea what they are. Also,
Pfhorrest wrote:furnace

I remember reading this word in Gone Girl and being puzzled for a while. We would call it a "boiler", though we tend to favour water-based central heating, so I don't know what we call the thing that heats up the air in a hot air system. But I'm pretty sure it's not a "furnace": that's something industrial-sized used for melting steel and the like.

Well they tend to do more then just heating here I've never seen a water based AC system a chilled radiator seems like it would make a terrible mess. I live in the southwest and I know water just pours out of my hvac system in the summer and the spring, and the fall, and sometimes in the winter to now that I think about it. I can also a testify to living in a house with this issue. In my case the issue isn't the grate they aren't fastened down they just have a flange that slides into the hole in the floor. The issue is with fishing the things out they tend to slide way down into the vent unless you're lucky and it catches at the 90 degree elbow under the vent. I can't think of anything else we call the heat portion of an hvac system here other then furnace or the generic heater.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:16 am UTC

And "boiler", corresponding, connotes old steam-based heating in the US (radiators and things), which isn't used in new construction.
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Envelope Generator

Postby Envelope Generator » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:18 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
Archgeek wrote:

It's just one of those things like "junior prom" that we hear about all the time but only have a vague idea what they are.

My current working hypothesis and headcanon project about the purpose of weird things that people in the US do or have but we don't is that they're somehow related to Thanksgiving.
I'm going to step off the LEM now... here we are, Pismo Beach and all the clams we can eat

eSOANEM wrote:If Fonzie's on the order of 100 zeptokelvin, I think he has bigger problems than difracting through doors.

biohazard

Postby biohazard » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:19 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:And "boiler", corresponding, connotes old steam-based heating in the US (radiators and things), which isn't used in new construction.

Thats not exactly true water based heat is still used in new construction mainly because its generally more efficient then a forced air system.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:26 am UTC

Is it really? Why don't we have radiators, then? Or do they just look different now?
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Positron

Postby Positron » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:41 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:During the night Tasker places my phone in silent mode. Only the alarm clock is allowed to make noise.

Just to clarify for the sake of iOS users, Android has independent volumes for the ringer/notifications, media sounds (music/videos/maps, basically misc) and alarms, so an Android phone can be silenced wrt notifications without silencing the alarms.

biohazard

Postby biohazard » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:35 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:Is it really? Why don't we have radiators, then? Or do they just look different now?

Air conditioning and cost. Like I said I don't know of a system that uses a chilled water loop for cooling outside on an institutional setting. The reason you don't generally see radiators in new buildings is that they use underfloor heating instead. The issue with forced air systems is that the ducts run in unconditioned spaces and they all leak even a brand new well sealed system will leak a little and many older systems or poorly installed ones leak a LOT. This bad in that your not just losing hot/cold air but your also going to suck in unconditioned air from the outside. Most houses with a boiler also use it to provide hot water for potable water system. They have a water tank but instead of an electric element or a gas burner they have a heat exchanger for the hot water loop. The main advantage of a forced air system is that they cost less upfront it's the cheapest option for central heating and cooling for new construction. The new hotness is ductless AC and heatpump system instead of one big air handler you have several smaller systems with one per room/zone that are all plumbed up to a central exterior compressor. They cost about a 1/3 more compared to a forced air system for new construction but they are much easier/cheaper to install in an existing house that lacks ducting and they avoid the leaking issue forced air has. And also have the advantage of more granular temperature control since each unit has its own thermostat. Some of the newer systems can also handle much colder outside temps with systems able to extract heat at 0f or -20f depending on the system. People are replacing oil fired boilers with them even in places with fairly cold climates.

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:41 am UTC

speising wrote:I actually had the problem of panel two. Somehow i managed to dismiss the alarm app without shutting it up. The only thing i could do was reboot.

I've had this too with at least one of my previous phones. It's particularly bewildering when you're barely awake. Loving the comic as a result though!
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:56 am UTC

This comic is all about things with which I have no experience:

- Floor vents
- Sleeping next to another human
- Cell phones

At least I've heard of the latter two.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:35 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:My first thought was "what kind of alarm clock is small enough that it can fall between the slats in a vent?"

And then it became clear the alarm was on a phone.

I feel old... and I'm not, actually.

Funny, my first thought was "What kind of phone is thin enough that it can fall between the slats in a vent?" Vents with slats that wide would pose some sort of safety hazard I'd think. Although, maybe it's just that I've got used to having a bulky case on my phone.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:52 am UTC

Aiwendil wrote:- Sleeping next to another human

This used to be one of the dosage examples in the Great Wiki article for the Sievert. I won't try to find it in the page history using my phone; it's hard enough on the desktop site...

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:00 pm UTC

Reecer6 wrote:Funny, my first thought was "What kind of phone is thin enough that it can fall between the slats in a vent?" Vents with slats that wide would pose some sort of safety hazard I'd think. Although, maybe it's just that I've got used to having a bulky case on my phone.

Yeah, I had that reaction, too. I don't think I've seen a lot of floor vents with that kind of spacing, even for a relatively thin phone. I guess I'm also thinking of the impact and the likelihood it wouldn't be perfectly vertical - it just doesn't seem like a thing that would happen.

Thanks for the awesome information, biohazard!

she / her / her

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:16 pm UTC

Envelope Generator wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Archgeek wrote:

It's just one of those things like "junior prom" that we hear about all the time but only have a vague idea what they are.

My current working hypothesis and headcanon project about the purpose of weird things that people in the US do or have but we don't is that they're somehow related to Thanksgiving.

Dammit, they're on to us. Quick, back to the turkey-mobile!

Apeiron

Postby Apeiron » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:33 pm UTC

"I think I fumbled it into airplane mode", is a statement, not a question.

Question marks mark questions.

If it doesn't ask something, it is not a question.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:34 pm UTC

Aiwendil wrote:This comic is all about things with which I have no experience:

- Floor vents
- Sleeping next to another human
- Cell phones

At least I've heard of the latter two.

You must be lost -- this is the xkcd forums, and clearly you're a slashdotter :mrgreen:
(you insensitive clod)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

HES

Postby HES » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:46 pm UTC

Apeiron wrote:"I think I fumbled it into airplane mode", is a statement, not a question.

"I think I fumbled it into airplane mode. Did I?"
"...Could that be the case?"
"...Is that what happened?"

The question is implied, and the question mark changes the way the sentence is read.
He/Him/His Image

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:15 pm UTC

Indeed. Most common use would be something like "I thought that was the point [wasn't it]?", but there are all kinds of things meant by question marks and not all of them require starting a sentence in a particular way.

she / her / her

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:34 pm UTC

Another reason for the upspeak might be that he wants to imply a greater degree of uncertainty than he actually holds as to whether or not he has in fact fumbled it into airplane mode, his motivation being the serious possibility that his S.O. / bedmate will visit terrible violence and pain upon him if this proves to be the case. The implicit question would be something like "At this point in time I'm not saying I definitely have, but how would you feel about things if that turned out to be the situation?"

Ignitus

Postby Ignitus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:16 pm UTC

I see a surprising amount of people with floor vents in this thread. They are actually rare in construction for obvious reasons. Depending on your house you may have floor, wall or ceiling vents. In the oldest houses the duct work is hanging free or they apply a false ceiling. These houses are typically in New Orleans where renivations are costly and the houses outdate Central Air and Heat by a century. Floor Vents are most common in single story raised housing. The be more specific they are almost universal in prefabricated homes. These homes which when single wide used to be commonly called trailers typically do not have an attic space and its so simple to run ductwork underneth them that its the typical location for vents to go, but more modern construction will put them above the floor board as its to easy to drop stuff in a floor vent.

To answer the original question yes the grates can be removed.

Perspicuity

Postby Perspicuity » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:20 pm UTC

You call it pools of mercury. We call it Hg Wells.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:21 pm UTC

I grew up in a single-wide. I was told to call it a "mobile home," because "trailer" was derogatory. I now own a hair dryer to emulate the ritual of warming my feet on the floor vent in the winter.

orthogon, nicely put.

she / her / her

123man

Postby 123man » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:55 pm UTC

Ignitus wrote:I see a surprising amount of people with floor vents in this thread. They are actually rare in construction for obvious reasons. Depending on your house you may have floor, wall or ceiling vents. In the oldest houses the duct work is hanging free or they apply a false ceiling. These houses are typically in New Orleans where renivations are costly and the houses outdate Central Air and Heat by a century. Floor Vents are most common in single story raised housing. The be more specific they are almost universal in prefabricated homes. These homes which when single wide used to be commonly called trailers typically do not have an attic space and its so simple to run ductwork underneth them that its the typical location for vents to go, but more modern construction will put them above the floor board as its to easy to drop stuff in a floor vent.

I'm surprised by people being surprised by floor vents; I've never known anything else and I've never lived in a trailer/prefab home. I live in the midwest, USA. My house is a split level, built in 2003. The lower level has ceiling vents and the middle and upper levels have floor vents. I grew up in a single story home that only had floor vents.

Completely on topic - I enjoyed this comic more that I have any other in quite some time!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”