1530: "Keyboard Mash"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MarkGyver

Re: 1530: "Keyboard Mash"

Postby MarkGyver » Thu May 28, 2015 5:24 am UTC

Neil_Boekend wrote:rhwwrg90granl/
as;ea54+e4f
Sdv1

Top row: That looks like a right-hand-only keyboard mash in Dvorak, with an out-of-place "a" and missing a "c" and "t", as if you're lacking a right middle finger. Or it could be a left-hand-only mash in Arensito, using Alt_Gr for the "90" and "/". What I'm trying to say is that your keyboard mashing looks completely human, totally not like a spider, bobcat, or velociraptor.
xkcd_1530_t=111924_p3798537_first_line_dvorak.png
Neil_Boekend's comment's first line, as if in Dvorak

Your second line looks like a left-hand-only keyboard mash in QWERTY, but has both a ";" and a "+" to explain.
Your third line is too small of a sample for me. I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't identify any of your pseudo-random output as being inspired by Colemak, the third keyboard layout that I've extensively used.

Yablo wrote:I figured it was just a Dvorak keyboard.

"FJAFJKLDSKF7JKFDJ" as a keyboard mash in Dvorak looks like the "A", "L", and "S" are out of place.
xkcd_1530_on_Dvorak.png
Spider's keyboard mash, as if in Dvorak

I was not expecting to be talking about keyboard layouts in a discussion about a giant spider impersonating human-ness over the Internet.
Generation 0: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature and change it so that it looks like you inspired this signature. Social experiment.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:40 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Though on the other hand (no pun intended), spiders don't have "hands", per say.

Pedantry calls to pedantry. The phrase you're looking for is per se, which sounds a bit like say but with a lot less diphthong.

(I hope you aren't also one of those people who says "eck-cetera".)

Akhenaten

Postby Akhenaten » Thu May 28, 2015 8:43 am UTC

I'm hanging in a cobweb!

rick.s

Postby rick.s » Thu May 28, 2015 3:30 pm UTC

MarkGyver wrote:I was not expecting to be talking about keyboard layouts in a discussion about a giant spider impersonating human-ness over the Internet.

Really what this thread should be doing is trying to set up the logical need. A Shelob test, its like a turning test, but to check for giant carnivorous spiders wanting a dinner date or bondage play. Talk of being tied up takes on a whole new meaning :shock: .

speising

Postby speising » Thu May 28, 2015 4:26 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:Though on the other hand (no pun intended), spiders don't have "hands", per say.

Pedantry calls to pedantry. The phrase you're looking for is per se, which sounds a bit like say but with a lot less diphthong.

(I hope you aren't also one of those people who says "eck-cetera".)

"who say"

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Thu May 28, 2015 6:37 pm UTC

MarkGyver wrote: I was not expecting to be talking about keyboard layouts in a discussion about a giant spider impersonating human-ness over the Internet.

Please, if not here, where else?
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:39 pm UTC

squall_line wrote:I actually had MC PeePants' voice in my head for the image text... :)

Shhh...I don't listen to that kiddie crap any more, I'm checkin' the adult jams now, see, check it. MC Pee Pants don't just want candy now, that's childish, he needs it. And when you need something that's a responsibility, that only only an adult...of my maturity...bunnies!

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Thu May 28, 2015 8:52 pm UTC

MarkGyver wrote:I was not expecting to be talking about keyboard layouts in a discussion about a giant spider impersonating human-ness over the Internet.

Indeed. I, too, was expecting the thread to stay in the animal kingdom with spiders and leopard mashes, whatever those are.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu May 28, 2015 10:03 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
Djehutynakht wrote:Actually, regarding "...All your hands were clearly right on the home row"

Looking to the following message: "I don't get how one finger could have stretched up to the "7"", I feel that "hands" was supposed to be "fingers". It fits.

(n.b. Putting quotation marks around the 7 is also kinda weird, though technically correct).

It's probably a side-effect of my knowing C, but my first reaction to that is that it should be single quotes: '7' for a single character rather than "7" for a string...

Mechanically correct in English orthography in this case as well, but only because the quoted seven falls within another larger quotation, and quotation marks alternate forms to avoid ambiguity between "open new quote" and "close this quote", as round parentheses and square brackets do. Of course, the fact that they come in a left and right pair helps more, and any pileup of quotation marks at the end of something is an ambiguous mess anyway (is this a single quote followed by a double quote or a double quote followed by a single?)
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Fri May 29, 2015 4:58 am UTC

I don't get why reaching the 7 would be a problem for any ordinary human. Here's the keys I can reach, with my left pinky on the left-hand Shift key:

LeftPinky.png

...and with my right pinky on the right-hand Shift key:

RightPinky.png

Basically, I could mash the 7 key with either hand, with both pinkies glued to their respective Shift keys.
In all fairness...

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Fri May 29, 2015 5:03 am UTC

Coyne wrote:I don't get why reaching the 7 would be a problem for any ordinary human.

No one said the number keys were unreachable. (That would be a pretty odd way to design a keyboard... [link to Far Side "inconvenience store" comic goes here])

What are the chances that you'd hit exactly sixteen home-row keys and one "7" in a 17-key frustration smash?

wurlitzer153

Postby wurlitzer153 » Fri May 29, 2015 6:01 am UTC

Everybody knows it's not a keyboard mash unless it's "etaoinshrdlu".

alskjdlksjdflkjdfla8dfjladks

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri May 29, 2015 12:50 pm UTC

This one was pretty amusing actually. Gave me a good chuckle and I got a grin from the title text.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”