1534: "Beer"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

orthogon

Re: 1534: "Beer"

Postby orthogon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:02 pm UTC

mwchase wrote:This has me wondering something. How do people actually manage to get drunk? I always skip straight to the hangover, if I'm reading the symptoms right. I'm not saying I get rapidly blackout drunk, it's not that kind of "skip". I'm saying I've only ever felt lightly buzzed (from a small sip, to combat writer's block), or agonizingly hung over in the middle of the night (from one drink).

I'm neither a doctor not a biochemist, but you may have a genetic configuration that makes you process alcohol differently to your peers. After a wiki walk I'm not completely clear on it, but there appears to be a Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP) that causes alcohols to be metabolised into aldehydes orders of magnitude more quickly, making it difficult to experience the pleasant effects of intoxication. There's also apparently a second genetic factor that makes processing of the aldehyde slower. The aldehyde (amongst other things) causes the hangover, so if you have both genes, you get a worse morning after, sooner, with a shorter night before. Both factors are more common in east Asia, but could potentially crop up in other populations (obviously I know nothing of your ancestry!). A smoking gun would be if you get the alcohol flush reaction.

The way you describe this sounds rather familiar to me. Throughout my childhood I thought apples, peaches, plums and many fruits were OK, but I wondered how people put up with the itchy throat, inflammation of the eyes and lips that they caused. I was into my twenties before I realised that those things simply didn't happen to other people. Turns out it's an allergy linked to my early spring hay fever caused by tree pollen. In hindsight it's obvious, but there's an element of groupthink or that psychological effect where the subject agrees with the stooges despite the evidence of his/her own senses. Your "how do people manage to get drunk" reflects this feeling that you're doing something wrong. Relax, it's probably just not for you!
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:49 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
higgs-boson wrote: Contrary to oversea's beliefs, Germany isn't a country full of beer-drinking lederhosn bumpkins and red-cheeked dirndl dressed beauty bunnies.
Cancels trip to Germany

Try the Stubaital in Austria instead. I was there in 2005 and couldn't move without the hands of the blind man I was guiding bumping into a young woman in a dirndl.

Incidence of dirndls in public places may vary with the seasons. I was there in summer.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:11 am UTC

I'm quite fine not drinking beer at a table of coworkers who are drinking it copiously.
[Edit]
I happened to be in Köln Germany at the height of Karnival and while there were tons of costumes everywhere, I don't remember noticing lederhosen. Lots of beer drinking though. And people could dress in animal costumes without it being weird.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

HES

Postby HES » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:02 pm UTC

Eternal Density wrote:I happened to be in Köln Germany at the height of Karnival and while there were tons of costumes everywhere, I don't remember noticing lederhosen.

No, but the time I was in Germany before that one there most definitely were. Stereotypes are accurate, but only if you're in the right place at the right time.
He/Him/His Image

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:22 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:[...]I happened to be in Köln Germany at the height of Karnival and while there were tons of costumes everywhere, I don't remember noticing lederhosen. Lots of beer drinking though. And people could dress in animal costumes without it being weird.

The stereotypolyticalistic Bavarian would object to that. Of course, not to the absence of lederhosen - why should there be any, in Köln - but to the beer drinking. The aforementioned Bavarian would not count Kölsch (top-fermented filtered with less than 5 vol.%, usually served in waaaaay to small glasses (looking like adolescent test-tubes, about 0.2 l)) as a beer.

There's a well-known joke about that issue, which is usually served in marked dialects.
Spoiler:
<joke which you may understand if you have lived near any of the cities mentioned>
Three friends - on from Munich, Dusseldorf and Cologne each - meet in a pub. The Cologne guy orders a Kölsch, the one from Dusseldorf an Alt, and the Bavarian from Munich a glass of Lemonade.
"Hey - why are you drinking... Lemonade?"
- "Well, you haven't ordered beer, either."
</joke which you may understand if you have lived near any of the cities mentioned>
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:27 am UTC

I've heard that as a Guinness joke.

All_¥our_Bass

Postby All_¥our_Bass » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:42 pm UTC

ucim wrote:Pizza and orange juice - a surprising (and emphatic) yes! (But I can't convince anybody to try it.)

I too, find pizza&OJ to be a great combo.

endolith

Postby endolith » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:37 am UTC

I thought I was the only one! (who thought everyone was faking it about liking beer)
Last edited by endolith on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ucim

Postby ucim » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:32 am UTC

endolith wrote:I thought I was the only one!
It is a great combo, but if you tell people that, they think you're crazy.

Our little secret. :)

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

bradjenkins

Postby bradjenkins » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:40 pm UTC

Not all beer tastes bad. Ales and Guiness etc all taste phenomenal.

But yeah - there's definitely this perception that drinking beer is somehow cool, and this thing that everyone has to love...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”