1538: "Lyrics"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jackpot777

Re: 1538: "Lyrics"

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:42 pm UTC

Plutarch wrote:Can anyone tell me where all the lyrics on the internet come from? I find I can look up the lyrics to quite obscure songs, and it makes me wonder, who put these here? A dedicated team of scribes who listened to all the songs and then wrote down the lyrics? Or do bands supply them? (Do lyric sheets still exist?)

Some artists will post their lyrics online on their official site.

Some still have lyrics in the booklets on their CDs.

There used to be magazines like Smash Hits that would publish the lyrics, sent from the record companies as free advertising for a new song.

I dare say there are a legion of fans that listen to every studio and live version of a song to discern lyrics otherwise.

SimonMoon5

Postby SimonMoon5 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:45 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:ORLY? From the day it came out, we've been arguing over what "the pompitus of love" actually means.

Here's the Straight Dope on that:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... us-of-love

The lyrics as I read them:

I can't even tell her
And doing she wanna
Had beauties sunning or kill
Forgetting Looooove

leeharveyosmond

Postby leeharveyosmond » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:51 pm UTC

Imperfectly heard song lyrics. Isn't there an analogy there to Markov chaining being used for error recovery in bitstreams?

alcore

Postby alcore » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:53 pm UTC

Simply... Yes.

This is one of the reasons I am a huge fan of Wierd Al Yankovik. At least his lyrics make sense.

leeharveyosmond

Postby leeharveyosmond » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:57 pm UTC

There used to be magazines like Smash Hits that would publish the lyrics, sent from the record companies as free advertising for a new song.

Well, that could explain how every set of lyrics I've seen for "Do Anything You Wanna Do" has got exactly the same mistakes in; everybody was copying the same poor transcription. And nowadays, every lyrics site on the Web can propagate those errors faithfully.

For extras amusement, head to Google or Wikipedia or somewhere, to learn about The Bad Quarto of Hamlet.

chris857

Postby chris857 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:14 pm UTC

I'm glad someone could express the issue I have with some songs. There are some songs where no matter how I listen to it, I can not reconcile the official lyrics with what I hear (Making Today a Perfect Day is guilty of this).

On the flip side, I like listening to Swedish music (without knowing Swedish), and I don't really care that I don't know the lyrics.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:
FOARP wrote:PS - just looked up the lyrics to "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight" by REM, a song I must have heard hundreds of times: "Call me when you try to wake her up"? WTF?

As I understand it, that's just one candidate for what he sings. I believe REM are one of those bands who refuse to disclose the lyrics to their songs, though this might have changed in the decades since Sidewinder was written.

QFT. The most common interpretation of one line of "It's the End of the World As We Know It" is "Every motive escalate, automotive incinerate", but I am adamant that there aren't enough syllables for that.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:41 pm UTC

I love when you get the lyrics booklet w/ the CD - and then the song has other bits of vocals not included in the booklet. It's like the trolling the most obsessiveness, 100% Completion types.

"Here are the words to 99% of what's on my album."
"What about the other 1%?"
*maniacal laugh* "Enjoy Hell, bitches!"
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:54 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
orthogon wrote:
FOARP wrote:PS - just looked up the lyrics to "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight" by REM, a song I must have heard hundreds of times: "Call me when you try to wake her up"? WTF?

As I understand it, that's just one candidate for what he sings. I believe REM are one of those bands who refuse to disclose the lyrics to their songs, though this might have changed in the decades since Sidewinder was written.

QFT. The most common interpretation of one line of "It's the End of the World As We Know It" is "Every motive escalate, automotive incinerate", but I am adamant that there aren't enough syllables for that.

The Sidewinder case is particularly annoying, because (a) it's the chorus that's enigmatic, (b) it's ridiculously repetitive, comprising five repetitions of the mysterious line with one additional line that's different each time, and (c) their songs are really catchy and you just have to sing along anyway!
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:37 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:QFT. The most common interpretation of one line of "It's the End of the World As We Know It" is "Every motive escalate, automotive incinerate", but I am adamant that there aren't enough syllables for that.

Yeah, the -ive and in- would have to merge into one syllable for that, leaving you either "auto mode incinerate" or "automotive 'cinerate". The former makes most sense to me, since it's at least whole real words.

alcore wrote:This is one of the reasons I am a huge fan of Wierd Al Yankovik. At least his lyrics make sense.

It's hard to blarg narble zous(???) with all these marbles in my mouth.

orthogon wrote:May I take this opportunity to introduce the word mondegreen into the thread.

The ants are my friends, they're blowin' in the wind...

...'scuse me, while I kiss this guy...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Razors

Postby Razors » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:47 pm UTC

I don't necessarily have to understand the lyrics. I think of the voice as another instrument that just adds a more complex layer.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:51 pm UTC

A game my fiance and I often play in the car is 'how badly did Izawwlgood mishear the song lyrics?'
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

moody7277

Postby moody7277 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:28 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:The ants are my friends, they're blowin' in the wind...

...'scuse me, while I kiss this guy...

Also about the location of the bathroom.
The story of my life in xkcdmafia:

Tigerlion wrote:Well, I imagine as the game progresses, various people will be getting moody.

BoomFrog wrote:I still have no idea what town moody really looks like.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:35 pm UTC

Plutarch wrote:Can anyone tell me where all the lyrics on the internet come from? I find I can look up the lyrics to quite obscure songs, and it makes me wonder, who put these here? A dedicated team of scribes who listened to all the songs and then wrote down the lyrics? Or do bands supply them? (Do lyric sheets still exist?)

A lot of pop bands these days also release official "lyric videos" on YouTube.
(This came after a surge of fans making their own, very unofficial videos using often-inaccurate song lyrics.)
Watch the two-minute "A Brief History of Lyric Videos" for a good summary.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

RGB-es

Postby RGB-es » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:10 pm UTC

Even if I have a PhD on physics, it took me literally decades to understand that '39 (from Queen's "A night in the Opera") was a relativistic song on which someone came back after a year (spaceship time) trip to find that on Hearth a century had gone.

Spoiler:
Did you know that Brian May recently got his PhD on astrophysics? That guy deserves respect.

BTW, I think Sigur Rós solved the problem with lyrics quite well... (first post, I think I cannot use links yet)

Mambrino

Postby Mambrino » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:07 pm UTC

higgs-boson wrote:Metal* - do they really use actual words? And if they do, would it matter?

*This is one of the very rare occations I can compare Metal to Opera and call it a tie.

Yes.

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:42 pm UTC

Because British English considers strings of consecutive prepositions an error:

The Lettermen and Frankie Valli sang "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You".
Kiki Dee and Englebert Humperdinck sang "Can't Take My Eyes Off You", with "off" as two syllables, descending in pitch.

Taiwan singer and variety-show host Chang Fei (aka Fei Ge), sings "Cant Take My Eyes Over You".

dp2

Postby dp2 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:59 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
dp2 wrote:QFT. The most common interpretation of one line of "It's the End of the World As We Know It" is "Every motive escalate, automotive incinerate", but I am adamant that there aren't enough syllables for that.

Yeah, the -ive and in- would have to merge into one syllable for that, leaving you either "auto mode incinerate" or "automotive 'cinerate". The former makes most sense to me, since it's at least whole real words.

That's always been my guess.

drachefly

Postby drachefly » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:25 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
alcore wrote:This is one of the reasons I am a huge fan of Wierd Al Yankovik. At least his lyrics make sense.

It's hard to blarg narble zous(???) with all these marbles in my mouth.

I can still understand you! C'mon, mumble! Stick a sock in your mouth or something.

Enunciation in singing is required in some styles, not so much in others. I kind of like being able to understand it if I'm listening to it, but if it's to be used as background or perhaps dance music, where I'm focusing on something else, that would be not so great.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:11 pm UTC

It's no harder to read something twice in a dream than it is to get someone to repeat what they just said in a dream.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:54 am UTC

I remember a song "Illusions in G Major" by ELO(Electric Light Orchestra) where I thought that the line "and it doesn't cost a penny" was "and the dog was constipated".
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:15 am UTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C35DrtPlUbc

Clearer Japanese I've never heard :P

x7eggert

Postby x7eggert » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:39 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:That's why music without lyrics is so good!

Unless you want to know or remember the name. You can't just search for that melody in your head.

"Dam--didamdidamdidam-dam" (Obviously "Space Mann - Magic Fly")
"taaa --- tat-tat-tat- m-taaaa tat-tat-tat- m-taaaa ..." ("Alan Parson's Project - Lucifer")

(But you'll guess "Dam-dadadada - dam dam dam Dam-dadadada dam dam dam damda- dadada")
Spoiler:
James Bond Theme

Actually, this doesn't happen too often for me. Probably due to my common choice of genres. But on the other hand there's some songs that the lyrics are clear to, but the meaning of the lyrics is totally opaque. (Like Switchfoot's Concrete Girl. Love the song but what does it mean??? Maybe I should look it up.)

More of these:
Desolation row
The Day The Music Died
The Man Who Sold The World

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:53 am UTC

Actually, "The Day The Music Died" is a short history of rock and roll, compressed into a metaphor as a memorial to ... was it Buddy Holly? He died in a plane crash, I think, cutting off a promising career.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

RogueCynic

Postby RogueCynic » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:17 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:Because British English considers strings of consecutive prepositions an error:

The Lettermen and Frankie Valli sang "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You".
Kiki Dee and Englebert Humperdinck sang "Can't Take My Eyes Off You", with "off" as two syllables, descending in pitch.

Taiwan singer and variety-show host Chang Fei (aka Fei Ge), sings "Cant Take My Eyes Over You".

Sometimes the extra prepositions are added to preserve the meter. Case in point: Paul McCartney, "Live and Let Die": "In this ever changing world in which we live in".

<edit> I meant Paul reduntantly repeats himself in the line.
I am Lord Titanius Englesmith, Fancyman of Cornwood.
See 1 Kings 7:23 for pi.
If you put a prune in a juicer, what would you get?

x7eggert

Postby x7eggert » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:38 am UTC

higgs-boson wrote:
Jragonlord wrote:Metal* - do they really use actual words? And if they do, would it matter?

Manowar does use a few words. A few. They don't matter.

http://www.truemetalhead.com/2012/03/ma ... rator.html

(The real Manowar lyrics generator seems to be gone?)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:55 am UTC

leeharveyosmond wrote:Imperfectly heard song lyrics. Isn't there an analogy there to Markov chaining being used for error recovery in bitstreams?

Yeah, we hear what we expect to hear.
x7eggert wrote:Unless you want to know or remember the name. You can't just search for that melody in your head.
Good point. Wel, if I know what the track is called then I'll remember it eventually, but if I never knew it I'll never be able to find it.

Speaking of finding things, I once saw a music video at a bowling alley without knowing what the song was or really being able to hear any of it, but a bit of it stuck in my mind. Years later I was in a store which was playing music and I heard enough lyrics to guess that it was the song I'd seen the video of, and I was finally able to look it up online to find out what it was. (It was Taylor Swift. I'm sure most people would have known that right away :P)

On the topic of reading in dreams, I don't remember reading in dreams. At least, I don't have any specific memories of reading in dreams. I usually don't really remember dreams at all. But I think sometimes in dreams I remember other dreams.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:43 am UTC

RGB-es wrote:BTW, I think Sigur Rós solved the problem with lyrics quite well... (first post, I think I cannot use links yet)

Ah yes, Sigur Ros... when they can't find the right words to go into a song they just make up syllables that happen to fit the song.

Funny thing is, me not having an ear for Icelandic... I generally have no clue when he's singing in actual Icelandic or when he's just making it up.

Clever...

GuesssWho

Postby GuesssWho » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:09 am UTC

I'm actually pretty good with lyrics, mostly. Probably because I'm a poetry buff and the rest of the music is secondary to me.

ETA: That song about Buddy Holly is actually called "American Pie," and is possibly the most metaphor-dense anything ever.

Jragonlord

Postby Jragonlord » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:39 am UTC

Locoluis wrote:Oh, dear. Researching about the lyrics and meanings of individual songs has deepened my appreciation for many of my favorite bands, and also made me a fan of bands I once didn't want to give a chance.

On the flip side, it also made me cringe many times, as I wouldn't have listened to certain bands if I knew them better. While I recognize that many of those are quite talented, it's their message and significance that made me dislike them.

Another great one for ruining music: music videos. I can think of a few songs I can't take seriously after having seen the music video, and therefore can't listen to because of just how bad they are...

orthogon wrote:
Xenomortis wrote:Most of the music I listen to have* lyrics in languages I don't speak [...]

*has or have - I spent way too long thinking about it.

has. Music is a mass/uncountable noun, which requires the singular form of the verb. But most of the songs you listen to have lyrics in languages you don't speak, which is probably how you confused yourself.

... Wouldn't it actually be have, agreeing with "Most"? I would think "of the music I listen to" would qualify as some sort of prepositional phrase, and you would therefore not agree with the object of the preposition...

x7eggert wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:
Jragonlord wrote:Metal* - do they really use actual words? And if they do, would it matter?

Someone's trying to get me in trouble there - I didn't say that about metal... And thinking of one particular coworker, yeah, that'd get me in trouble... Hahaha...

funda

Postby funda » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:52 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:This is why I usually look up the lyrics after I hear a new song for the first time, because if I'm going to be singing along in the future it's probably better if I know what's actually coming out of my mouth.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Happens way too often . Sang some lyrics wrong for many years :roll: till accidentally finding the correct lyrics.
Poorly updated Blog http://johndasfundas.blogspot.com
Yes, I will clean it up.... later
And badly maintained website :http://www.fundazone.com

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:08 am UTC

Jragonlord wrote:
x7eggert wrote:
higgs-boson wrote:

Someone's trying to get me in trouble there - I didn't say that about metal... And thinking of one particular coworker, yeah, that'd get me in trouble... Hahaha...

I'll help you out with that. It was me.

higgs-boson wrote:Metal* - do they really use actual words? And if they do, would it matter?

Having said this, a relative acted in a ... uh ... Trash-Metal-Gothic-Whatsoever band.
From him, no punishment is to be expected. They tortured a few instruments and grunted into microphones.
In their eyes ears, words are for... people who care for words. Which they did not.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

SparkOut

Postby SparkOut » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:18 am UTC

Xenomortis wrote:
orthogon wrote:
Xenomortis wrote:Most of the music I listen to have* lyrics in languages I don't speak [...]

has. Music is a mass/uncountable noun, which requires the singular form of the verb. But most of the songs you listen to have lyrics in languages you don't speak, which is probably how you confused yourself.

Yeah, "has" following "music" sounded correct, but the rest of the sentence didn't...

It is probably (possibly?) easier if you substitute "The majority of" for "Most of".

SparkOut

Postby SparkOut » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:28 am UTC

RogueCynic wrote:Sometimes the extra prepositions are added to preserve the meter. Case in point: Paul McCartney, "Live and Let Die": "In this ever changing world in which we live in".

<edit> I meant Paul reduntantly repeats himself in the line.

Er... No.
Try " in which we're living "

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:32 am UTC

Jragonlord wrote:
orthogon wrote:

... Wouldn't it actually be have, agreeing with "Most"? I would think "of the music I listen to" would qualify as some sort of prepositional phrase, and you would therefore not agree with the object of the preposition...

You're right that I'd missed the importance of most of, but it's still has. The subject is most of the music I listen to, of which the quantifier most is the head, however, it says here that
Most is included in a group of quantifiers in which the verb agrees with the noun in the prep. phrase or "closest noun". (singular or plural)

But the rule depends on the quantifier, so it would be each of the songs I listen to has ... but both of the songs I listen to have ... and most of the songs I listen to have ...

GuesssWho wrote:ETA: That song about Buddy Holly is actually called "American Pie," and is possibly the most metaphor-dense anything ever.

A couple of months back, after spending over forty years refusing to explain the song, Don McClean put an original manuscript of the lyrics up for auction; we were told that we were about to find out "everything there is to divulge" about what they mean. But I haven't seen anything since. A lot of the lines have more than one candidate explanation: I like to think that that was deliberate brilliance on McClean's part, but it might have been accidental.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

OP Tipping

Postby OP Tipping » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:44 am UTC

I mean really for most songs you should be able to do this already.

FOARP

Postby FOARP » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:45 am UTC

orthogon wrote:
dp2 wrote:
orthogon wrote:

The Sidewinder case is particularly annoying, because (a) it's the chorus that's enigmatic, (b) it's ridiculously repetitive, comprising five repetitions of the mysterious line with one additional line that's different each time, and (c) their songs are really catchy and you just have to sing along anyway!

Indeed. For years what i heard was "Only Jamaica", until I realised that this made no sense at it was more likely "only to wake up", but, the version you find online: how did anyone hear that and where did they fit all the syllables?

da Doctah

Postby da Doctah » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:30 am UTC

orthogon wrote:A couple of months back, after spending over forty years refusing to explain the song, Don McClean put an original manuscript of the lyrics up for auction; we were told that we were about to find out "everything there is to divulge" about what they mean. But I haven't seen anything since. A lot of the lines have more than one candidate explanation: I like to think that that was deliberate brilliance on McClean's part, but it might have been accidental.

I like the part where he explains whose scarf was apricot, who was able to gavotte while watching himself in the mirror out of one eye, and who flew to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun.

YellowYeti

Postby YellowYeti » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:46 am UTC

da Doctah wrote:I like the part where he explains whose scarf was apricot, who was able to gavotte while watching himself in the mirror out of one eye, and who flew to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun.

There was a story that the name of the person in that song was revealed to the winner of a charity auction - on condition that they never revealed it to anyone else!

Being a big fan of the Japanese popular beat combo, Shonen Knife, part of the attraction is trying to decipher the Engrish version of their lyrics. And then giving up and downloading, and realising that yes, they were that weird after all:

I discover ears of a cat in the Milky Way
And I put them on my head
In a moment I become a sweet little cat
And I dance on a flying saucer

Emitime

Postby Emitime » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:39 am UTC

x7eggert wrote:
Eternal Density wrote:That's why music without lyrics is so good!

Unless you want to know or remember the name. You can't just search for that melody in your head.

You can if you use SoundHound. I had Crocodile Rock stuck in my head for years, but I am terrorised no more.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”