1542: "Scheduling Conflict"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

higgs-boson

1542: "Scheduling Conflict"

Postby higgs-boson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:53 pm UTC

ALT: Neither a spokesperson for the organization nor the current world champion could be reached for comment.

I wanted to apply for the events "meeting room speed overbooking" and "redundant car pool vehicle jigsaw puzzle redundance", but the finals were scheduled for the same time slots.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

DougDean

Re: 1542: "Scheduling Conflict"

Postby DougDean » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:55 pm UTC

So, I guess they won first prize in their own championship.
Last edited by DougDean on Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:03 pm UTC

But what publication is this? Is it merely the newsletter of the National Scheduling Conflict Association, or is this shock reverberating through society at large?
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:57 pm UTC

Whatever the newspaper's name, it appears very long - it's three whole lines! They should really think about rebranding soon. While your stories should be eye-catching, readers should at least be able to read your name.

CharlieP

Postby CharlieP » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:21 pm UTC

Reecer6 wrote:Whatever the newspaper's name, it appears very long - it's three whole lines! They should really think about rebranding soon. While your stories should be eye-catching, readers should at least be able to read your name.

I just can't work out whether the newspaper has been printed on single unbound sheets, or it's a conventional newspaper with all the content printed on its side.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:29 pm UTC

CharlieP wrote:
Reecer6 wrote:Whatever the newspaper's name, it appears very long - it's three whole lines! They should really think about rebranding soon. While your stories should be eye-catching, readers should at least be able to read your name.

I just can't work out whether the newspaper has been printed on single unbound sheets, or it's a conventional newspaper with all the content printed on its side.

The masthead is usually only on page A1. This obviously belongs in the Sports section. And it was printed on an extra half-broadsheet that was added in at the last minute, of course.

Anyway, the cancellation doesn't matter. The US Government has been unstoppable at defending the title, recently.

suso

Postby suso » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:43 pm UTC

RANDALL GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!

So in the past few days I've been trying to schedule an in person meeting among 3 teams and 10 different people sometime over the next couple months. I offered 16 different time choices and there is not one time that all people are available. Well there is one time when 9 of the 10 people are available, but that 10th person is a key person to the meeting. :cry:
Imagine theres no signatures....

suso

Postby suso » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:45 pm UTC

DougDean wrote:So, I guess they won first prize in their own championship.

They also won the Conflict of Interest Championships.
Imagine theres no signatures....

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:12 pm UTC

suso wrote:

They also won the Conflict of Interest Championships.

The prize for which is funding to set up their own Department of Redundancy Department.

Which makes sense; you should always have more than one of those.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:44 pm UTC

Also, Glastonbury weekend approaches. Festival organisation is all about creating scheduling conflicts so you don't end up with 105 people in the same place.

senor_cardgage

Postby senor_cardgage » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:53 pm UTC

suso wrote:RANDALL GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!

So in the past few days I've been trying to schedule an in person meeting among 3 teams and 10 different people sometime over the next couple months. I offered 16 different time choices and there is not one time that all people are available. Well there is one time when 9 of the 10 people are available, but that 10th person is a key person to the meeting. :cry:

Then it sounds like you have too many people that aren't really critical to the meeting.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:11 pm UTC

Art Pedantry: the "three lines" are just several squiggles representing a blurred large-font heading on the page. I think you can find similar examples here & there in drawings which have anonymized newspaper front pages.

(and the first person who says "oh, Art Pedantry -- that's going to be the name of my new band" will be tossed into the Comfy Chair --- as soon as there's no scheduling conflict for that resource)
https://app.box.com/witthoftresume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:36 pm UTC

They're all going to miss the rescheduling meeting because of the previously rescheduled missed makeup meeting.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:59 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:Also, Glastonbury weekend approaches. Festival organisation is all about creating scheduling conflicts so you don't end up with 105 people in the same place.

Yes and no - you want the big events that will be too popular to conflict, but you also want people with a narrow niche interest to be able to attend both/all three of the events that cater to them (particularly since they're all being run/presented by the same person, so making them clash would cause a hosting conflict too)

Alaska Girl

Postby Alaska Girl » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:02 pm UTC

Am I the only one who thought this was going to be about scheduling the occurrence of conflicts? Probably something the BHG would do.
Last edited by Alaska Girl on Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hatred is blind, as well as love.

Plasma_Wolf

Postby Plasma_Wolf » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:06 pm UTC

Dutch comedian Herman Finkers:

The course "dealing with disappointments" has been cancelled once again

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:Dutch comedian Herman Finkers:

The course "dealing with disappointments" has been cancelled once again

I did once genuinely have to cancel my booking for a time management course because I had to much on.

ETA: in fairness, I hadn't been on the course yet at that stage, obviously.

ps.02

Postby ps.02 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:49 pm UTC

Do they have a Department of Euphemism Right-Sizing, to maintain proper efficiency in how many euphemisms they employ?

Abelard

Postby Abelard » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:55 pm UTC

I was going to make a comment, but something else came up.

saurgoth

Postby saurgoth » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:12 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:(and the first person who says "oh, Art Pedantry -- that's going to be the name of my new band" will be tossed into the Comfy Chair --- as soon as there's no scheduling conflict for that resource)

Do not fear, for the name of my new band is Accidental Meth.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:41 pm UTC

ps.02 wrote:Do they have a Department of Euphemism Right-Sizing, to maintain proper efficiency in how many euphemisms they employ?

We tend to avoid the word 'euphemism'.

david.windsor

Postby david.windsor » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:29 am UTC

Mikeski wrote:
CharlieP wrote:

The masthead is usually only on page A1. This obviously belongs in the Sports section. And it was printed on an extra half-broadsheet that was added in at the last minute, of course.

Anyway, the cancellation doesn't matter. The US Government has been unstoppable at defending the title, recently.

Hmmm... that scalloped edge at the top makes me think of the paper towel dispenser in the washroom at work...
"All those ... moments, will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain."

Mikeski

Postby Mikeski » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:45 am UTC

david.windsor wrote:Hmmm... that scalloped edge at the top makes me think of the paper towel dispenser in the washroom at work...

That's fair. Most newspapers make me think of the other paper dispenser in the washroom at work...

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:48 am UTC

Did they?

You know, nothing in this comic specifically mentions that the championship was cancelled due to a scheduling conflict.

Perhaps the convention hall flooded or something. Who knows?

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:08 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
orthogon wrote:Also, Glastonbury weekend approaches. Festival organisation is all about creating scheduling conflicts so you don't end up with 105 people in the same place.

Yes and no - you want the big events that will be too popular to conflict, but you also want people with a narrow niche interest to be able to attend both/all three of the events that cater to them (particularly since they're all being run/presented by the same person, so making them clash would cause a hosting conflict too)

oh, Glastonbury...
That such a strange bunch allows themselves to be scheduled at all
must be evidence of some kind of super-duper alignment of both Earth and Stars.

England wins the most La-La's in one place award.
Burning man is good. Glastonbury is better.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Reecer6

Postby Reecer6 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:05 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:You know, nothing in this comic specifically mentions that the championship was cancelled due to a scheduling conflict.

Perhaps the convention hall flooded or something. Who knows?

Now, that's just a scheduling conflict between man and nature. The timesheet CLEARLY marked today as "way too much rain day".

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:39 am UTC

Surprise: National Scheduling Conflict Championships were held after all, due to a scheduling conflict that prevented the administrators from cancelling it.
In all fairness...

higgs-boson

Postby higgs-boson » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:00 am UTC

Coyne wrote:Surprise: National Scheduling Conflict Championships were held after all, due to a scheduling conflict that prevented the administrators from cancelling it.

But we weren't noticed, because the extraordinary administration meeting for elaboration of the press release was scheduled on a time slot and location already occupied by local small animal breeder association.

The last year's freestyle champion already announced his utter happiness about the cancellation conflict. He won last year's championship by performing a really impressing scheduling conflict involving some lingerie, 5m of fake poison ivy, a set of plush hand-cuffs, and his two girl-friends. TV broadcast was interrupted due to the unpleasing sporting accident.
Apostolic Visitator, Holiest of Holy Fun-Havers
You have questions about XKCD: "Time"? There's a whole Wiki dedicated to it!

Essah

Postby Essah » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:14 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:

Art Pedantry: the "three lines" are just several squiggles representing a blurred large-font heading on the page. I think you can find similar examples here & there in drawings which have anonymized newspaper front pages.

(and the first person who says "oh, Art Pedantry -- that's going to be the name of my new band" will be tossed into the Comfy Chair --- as soon as there's no scheduling conflict for that resource)

No sorry the meeting in the art-pedantry circle has been cancelled because the organizer drew the logo with #FF9932 instead of #FF9933 and the majority of members refused to attend as a protest to demonstrate the important of accuracate depiction of art.
But it's alright since I had a scheduling conflict. I was attending the Time Manegement meeting the same day. At least the Scheduling conflict Championship was called off so that didn't clash as well.

dbam987

Postby dbam987 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:10 am UTC

I expected this comic to be posted on Thursday instead of the usual Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule RM is working with. That would have thrown all of us in a frenzy. RM would definitely have a laugh with that. :p

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”